Scary night.....I'm trying to reach people I know but all
cell circuits are jammed.

Thoughts and prayers to all effected.

Spicoli
08-01-07, 08:37 PM
no ****. tune into CNN right now.:(

Elmo T
08-01-07, 09:03 PM
:thumbup: to all those in the rescue effort. Nothing at that scene is safe or secure. Amazing that some of those cars were able to ride those bridge sections down without apparent damage.

RHR_Fan
08-01-07, 09:49 PM
I just found out about this and turned on CNN - yikes! :eek:

devilmaster
08-01-07, 09:56 PM
Jesus! :(

How many do we know from that area?

Sean O'Gorman
08-01-07, 09:58 PM
I have a couple of close friends from work there, they both checked in. I kinda feel bad now talking to them on the phone since they said on the news to stay off cell phones due to circuits jamming.

JoeBob, hope you are ok.

TRDfan
08-01-07, 09:59 PM
JoeBob is the only one from the Twin Cities that I'm aware of.....there
were a couple others from the 7G days ...

I'm about 140 miles southeast.

Sean O'Gorman
08-01-07, 10:05 PM
Isn't Tifosi24 from the area?

devilmaster
08-01-07, 10:06 PM
Isn't Tifosi24 from the area?

jonovision_man
08-01-07, 10:09 PM
JoeBob always lands on his feet.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94959

I live about 10 minutes from there. Very scary. My family are okay. Hopefully all of our friends too.

Horrible situation, can't imagine what could lead to something like that. :(

jono

devilmaster
08-01-07, 10:39 PM
good to hear JB, i've sent msgs to Tif24 - hope to hear back soon...

hoping there isn't, but anyone else?

TRDfan
08-01-07, 10:43 PM
I thought Tifosi had moved to Milwaukee area..

G.
08-01-07, 10:44 PM
Hope all turns out ok.

Six gone so far.:(

devilmaster
08-01-07, 10:45 PM
I thought Tifosi had moved to Milwaukee area..

here's to hopin.... both OC and his facebook say Minny/St.Paul

G.
08-01-07, 10:46 PM
never mind

JoeBob
08-01-07, 11:20 PM
I'm here and fine. My commute is going to suck, but hey... at least I can drive it!

nrc
08-01-07, 11:24 PM
Glad to hear from you, JB.

Seven dead now, more expected. Thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Dr. Corkski
08-02-07, 02:02 AM
Tifosi24 is in fact in the TC area, though he is in the process moving from St. Paul to Eagan since last weekend, both of which were fairly far southeast of the bridge.

He should be without internet for the time being, and I haven't had a chance to call him yet since I just found out, but if I hear anything before he posts I will post an update.

TRDfan
08-02-07, 07:52 AM
Thanks Cork.....I was having brain fade last night about Tifosi and thinking about someone with a similar name from another (non-racing) forum.

I know quite a few people that make the communte over that bridge and have this eerie feeling that someone I know was hurt (or worse)

TKGAngel
08-02-07, 09:03 AM
CNN.com has video of the collapse. Its just shocking that a massive structure like that bridge is just gone in such a short time.

KLang
08-02-07, 09:23 AM
Some 'expert' on one of the news shows this morning says 40% of the nations bridges are in similar shape. :saywhat:

FCYTravis
08-02-07, 10:14 AM
In many cases, we're talking about structures that were built 40-50 years ago during the Interstate building boom. It only makes sense that there has been deterioration over half a century. There's been huge underinvestment in basic infrastructure in this country for a long time, and we're paying the piper for that :(

Tifosi24
08-02-07, 10:41 AM
Cork just called me at work and I am in fact ok, and as far as I know everyone at work and their families are ok. A very sobering time around here. In this instance it pays to be a champ car fan, because we are so niche that I am able to post that I am ok and not worry about the Draconian web filter. My prayers to all involved and I will see you folks when I get my house cleaned up, Cork knows :flame: , and internet established.

devilmaster
08-02-07, 11:07 AM
good to hear Tif....

yer prob gonna see a few msgs from me. ;)

RHR_Fan
08-02-07, 11:12 AM
Glad y'all are okay. Are there any ex 7G'ers and/or current OC'ers around the Twin Cities area?

Ankf00
08-02-07, 12:16 PM
Some 'expert' on one of the news shows this morning says 40% of the nations bridges are in similar shape. :saywhat:

probably not far from the truth considering how underfunded DOT's around the nation are, they can barely keep up with repaving and surface maintenance as it is, structural maintenance isn't a priority at all many times.

death toll is low, but many still missing :(

dando
08-02-07, 02:26 PM

That's one of the first things that crossed my mind when I first saw what happened. I'm going oto think twice crossing the Walt this year on the way to OCNJ. :(

Thoughts and prayers to those that are affected by this tragedy.

Queue the Discovery bridge disaster shows.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
08-02-07, 02:35 PM
One news guy said that after a certain date bridges were built so that if one section failed, the other sections would stay up. Apparently before that date if one section failed, the rest of the bridge just dominoed in. If this is true, anyone know the date tighter regulations went into effect?

TKGAngel
08-02-07, 02:35 PM
That's one of the first things that crossed my mind when I first saw what happened. I'm going to think twice crossing the Walt this year on the way to OCNJ. :(

-Kevin

I'm thinking twice about Canadian trips. All of the bridges over the Niagara River are steel bridges. With border backups, you're just hanging out over the river, near the Falls and the rapids, depending on which bridge you use.

KLang
08-02-07, 02:45 PM
At least here in the Houston area they keep knockin down all the infrastructure and rebuilding it bigger. Things aren't around long enough to wear out.

I still hate driving on the elevated fly-over ramps though. :(

On the topic of scary bridges, anyone else driven to Key West? :eek:

Ozarkian
08-02-07, 04:57 PM

Yep, and amazingly, they're better than they used to be. My Dad navigated the old 7-Mile bridge in the early '70s with a travel trailer in tow. I don't think he had more than 6 inches of clearance. My brother and I didn't hang our arms out the car windows that trip ...

Gnam
08-02-07, 06:31 PM
The loss of life is horrible, and seeing those green I-beams bent like wet spaghetti is unnerving.

However, I am very curious about the collapse.

From the video, it was a cascading collapse, starting on the South side and progressing to the North side. When the north end of the bridge fell into the water, the northern approach tilted back and collapsed into a U shape.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5200/i35collapsemaphz3.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3778/i35collapsenorthsidedp7.jpg

The question is where along the south end did the collapse start. Looking at the overhead photos, almost every section seems to have pancaked straight down, leaving the wreckage in a straight line. However, at the southern anchorage, the collapse is kicked out to the side. One side is still up in the air, but one side is down on the ground. If one side of the southern anchorage failed, the bridge would tend to twist toward that side during the collapse. Without the support of the adjoining section, the other sections would be pulled down.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2097/i35collapseoverheadxez5.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/494/mnbridgecollapsemnpau10yr2.jpg

It will be interesting to learn the failure mode, and see what changes are made to the building codes as a result.

Insomniac
08-02-07, 06:35 PM
probably not far from the truth considering how underfunded DOT's around the nation are, they can barely keep up with repaving and surface maintenance as it is, structural maintenance isn't a priority at all many times.

death toll is low, but many still missing :(

Near where I live, they ripped out 4-5 miles of 4-lane highway that was perfectly fine. There were no pot holes, the ride was smooth. When I say ripped out, I mean everything. They re-leveled the dirt, put down multiple layers of gravel and concrete. Probably cost $8-10M. There better not be a single bridge in KS that could've used that money. I know that money could've been spent much better somewhere else, but I fear someone was just getting a kick back to do unnecessary road work.

Insomniac
08-02-07, 06:37 PM
One news guy said that after a certain date bridges were built so that if one section failed, the other sections would stay up. Apparently before that date if one section failed, the rest of the bridge just dominoed in. If this is true, anyone know the date tighter regulations went into effect?

That doesn't seem accurate. Each section would have to be unbelievably strong to lose a major amount of support and not fail itself.

RichK
08-02-07, 06:43 PM
Glad our known OC members are alright.

quoted without comment:

The Pentagon is spending about $6 billion a month on the war in Iraq, or about $200 million a day, according to the [Congressional Budget Office].

Cam
08-02-07, 06:51 PM

Many many times... I don't think my nerves could have handled the old abandon sections... :eek:

Gnam
08-02-07, 06:58 PM
I wonder if he was thinking of this one:
Bay Bridge - Oct. 1989 (built 1936)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7299/fig36ov0.jpg

Not exactly the same since the failure occured right over a support column.
What the newsman said could be true as long as the supports remained standing. A bridge has to stand somewhere.

G.
08-02-07, 07:33 PM
Queue the Discovery bridge disaster shows.... :saywhat:

-KevinSpecial Presentation: Why Bridges Collapse, History Channel, 10/9C. Tonight.

jonovision_man
08-02-07, 08:06 PM
You're joking, right? Wow.

jono

cameraman
08-02-07, 08:08 PM
They are replacing 1.9 miles of 1950's era I-80 in the middle of Salt Lake City. State Street to 1300 East to be exact. They will replace six seriously crumbling bridges, add lanes in both directions and in general completely replace everything. Cost? $104 million dollars.

~$50 million a mile explains why there is a backlog...

Methanolandbrats
08-02-07, 08:27 PM
I wonder if he was thinking of this one:
Bay Bridge - Oct. 1989 (built 1936)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7299/fig36ov0.jpg

Not exactly the same since the failure occured right over a support column.
What the newsman said could be true as long as the supports remained standing. A bridge has to stand somewhere. Ya, newsman was probably full of ****, most of them are. I just heard from several places that there was date after which bridge design and requirements changed.

G.
08-02-07, 08:30 PM
You're joking, right? Wow.

jonoDo I LOOK like I'm joking??

Wait. That's not right.

No. I'm not joking. And I'm not impressed with History Channel.

Methanolandbrats
08-02-07, 08:49 PM
Do I LOOK like I'm joking??

Wait. That's not right.

No. I'm not joking. And I'm not impressed with History Channel. What's the problem? After any disaster, natural or man made they run specials. It's the only literate and educational coverage available. The rest of it is ratings driven vultures rehashing the same crap over and over again.

G.
08-02-07, 09:09 PM
What's the problem? After any disaster, natural or man made they run specials. It's the only literate and educational coverage available. The rest of it is ratings driven vultures rehashing the same crap over and over again.Let's get the bodies out of the drink first, all I'm saying.

Not flaming mad, just not impressed.

Methanolandbrats
08-02-07, 09:32 PM
Let's get the bodies out of the drink first, all I'm saying.

Not flaming mad, just not impressed.
Ya, you're right, I guess it's a ratings grab on their part and I never thought about it that way. I remember similar shows about the World Trade Centers, Tsumanis, New Orleans and other stuff. I get a lot more upset when morons like Geraldo show up and grandstand.....that prick should show up by Saturday night.:mad:

Cam
08-03-07, 01:30 AM
Jeebuzzz!!! :eek: If I lived in PA I would be avoiding I95 (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-08-02-bridge-list_N.htm) like tha plague! :saywhat:

extramundane
08-03-07, 10:04 AM
Jeebuzzz!!! :eek: If I lived in PA I would be avoiding I95 (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-08-02-bridge-list_N.htm) like tha plague! :saywhat:

It ain't just PA. Just a couple days ago, they had to do an emergency shore-up job on a bridge that carries I95 and I64 over a major state route here in town (and it's not the one on that USA Today list). Apparently people had been reporting large concrete chunks randomly falling off for quite some time, but it went untouched 'til VDOT brass just happened to drive by and witness a chunk hit the street. :saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
08-03-07, 10:07 AM
That doesn't seem accurate. Each section would have to be unbelievably strong to lose a major amount of support and not fail itself.
The History Channel show cleared up what I was asking about. Before a certain date bridge sections were anchored together with a pin and hanger method of construction. After an incident where a pin failed on one corner of a section and the entire section fell into the water, those pin and hanger bridges were upgraded with a plate at each corner, that is the "redundacy" the reporter was talking about. The redundancy had nothing to do with the bridge staying up if a section fell. After viewing the show it is clear that many 30-40 year old bridges are close to failure from metal fatigue, corrosion and increased loading due to traffic volume. Ya, that's a simplification, but it's not too far from the truth.

jonovision_man
08-03-07, 10:25 AM
Sound like that show was better than I thought... I was expecting something along the lines of "when animals attack" from the title of it.

jono

Gnam
08-03-07, 01:41 PM
The show was good. It stressed that finding out why the disasters occured and preventing them from happening again is the best way to honor those who lost their lives.

RichK
08-03-07, 02:13 PM
The show was good. It stressed that finding out why the disasters occured and preventing them from happening again is the best way to honor those who lost their lives.

Yep, and you can't fault people for wanting to learn about bridge disasters when it's in the news. The History Channel is giving us what we want.