PDA

View Full Version : Speed gone....

mapguy
07-31-07, 06:39 AM
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40208

Replaced by Vettel immediately. Any respect I had for Berger is gone. Idiots.

jonovision_man
07-31-07, 08:18 AM
His F1 career was over at the end of the season anyway... and with his heated words after the dust-up he was doomed.

Where next?

Red Bull brings him to ChampCar? :thumbup:

jono

spinner26
07-31-07, 08:51 AM
Where next?

Red Bull brings him to ChampCar? :thumbup:

jono

At's my guess, they have already made the huge investment why not.

emjaya
07-31-07, 08:57 AM
Would they gain more publicity by sticking him in NASCAR?

extramundane
07-31-07, 09:19 AM
Would they gain more publicity by sticking him in NASCAR?

It worked out well the last time RB took one of their formula-car stars to NASCAR!

emjaya
07-31-07, 09:40 AM
It worked out well the last time RB took one of their formula-car stars to NASCAR!

Who was that? :gomer:

Fio1
07-31-07, 10:11 AM
Let's hope he is still a Red Bull driver.

Easy
07-31-07, 10:41 AM
DTM or Penske Indy™Cars© IRL® Series.

I'm sure he'd like to remain decently paid which rules out driving for Carl Haas.:p

Insomniac
07-31-07, 10:50 AM
It's a shame. I think he sits out the rest of this season looking for another F1 ride. I do wonder where he will go if he can;t find anything for 2008 in F1 though. Where would Red Bull like to see him, CC or NASCAR?

Dr. Corkski
07-31-07, 01:34 PM
IBanotherOOWLiuzzirant

RichK
07-31-07, 02:37 PM
sux

Spicoli
07-31-07, 03:12 PM
My understanding is that the RB $$/driber was a trade to KK/GF for RBF1/TorroCrappo not fulfilling their Cozzie enjin contracts.

Gnam
07-31-07, 03:22 PM
Bad news for Bourdais if Vettel was chosen over him.

cameraman
07-31-07, 03:34 PM
If SeaBass wants an F1 ride he needs drive in GP2 next year and win.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 03:41 PM
Isn't today the day RB has to decide on SB for 2008? Well, at least they have him signed for 2008 through today. They could make another offer later I suppose.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 03:43 PM
My understanding is that the RB $$/driber was a trade to KK/GF for RBF1/TorroCrappo not fulfilling their Cozzie enjin contracts.

Wow, they fund Eddie Cheever for how many years and they can only manage sponsorship of one car and a driver after defaulting on a contract? That's pretty weak.

RTKar
07-31-07, 09:11 PM
If SeaBass wants an F1 ride he needs drive in GP2 next year and win.

Kind of, "Been their done that"...

"Sébastien finally joins the Super Nova Team only three weeks before the start of the championship. It doesn’t seem to constitute much of a handicap for him since he signs the pole during the first race in Brazil. With three victories, six pole positions and five top-three finishes, Sébastien becomes the 2002 formula 3000 champion, and makes a strong impression on many Formula One team owners among with Tom Walkinshaw. The owner of the English team Arrows gives Sébastien the opportunity to drive a Formula One for the first time in Valencia. The test goes so well that Sébastien is offered a seat for the 2003 Formula One World Championship. Unfortunately, Arrows’ financial situation is critical, and after several attempts to save his team, Tom Walkinshaw has no other choice but to go bankrupt and liquidate the company, breaking at the same time his contract with Sébastien. A few months later, Sébastien gets another test with Renault F1 in Jerez, but the outcome is not to his advantage either."

jonovision_man
07-31-07, 10:23 PM
Bad news for Bourdais if Vettel was chosen over him.

... assuming Bourdais was in the mix for a mid-season switch... I was kind of hoping, but it's possible it was never in the cards.

jono

Insomniac
07-31-07, 11:26 PM
... assuming Bourdais was in the mix for a mid-season switch... I was kind of hoping, but it's possible it was never in the cards.

jono

I just don't see that happening or even being much of a consideration. How much money would N/H/L want to just drop their run at a fourth consecutive championship?

Insomniac
08-03-07, 08:58 AM
“I don't want to spend one more second talking about Scott Speed. That's history. He didn't perform and that's why he isn't here anymore. We want to get quiet in the team - we have a good atmosphere and everything is working well.

“Scott is always going on about pressure - but this is F1 and everybody's under pressure. This is a competitive business and you either deliver or you don't - and that's not comfortable.

“Scott may still be used for testing, we don't know yet. It's a possibility - he's still a test driver here.”

And for you RM fans. ;)

Q: Sebastian, when did you know you were actually driving for Scuderia Toro Rosso?

“Well, at the beginning of the week. All our talks and stuff started a bit earlier than that but 100 percent I knew it at the start of the week and then on Tuesday there was the announcement so it wasn’t a long time ago.”

Working on his replacement while he was testing.

RHR_Fan
08-03-07, 03:03 PM
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/hun/f1-2007-hun-xp-0130.jpg

jonovision_man
08-03-07, 05:37 PM
It that a babelfish translation? :D

Fio1
08-05-07, 02:17 AM
I talked with someone with F1 experience about Scott Speed's being fired and this is what they said.

To be honest I'm not surprised Speed was let go before the year was finished. The thing about F1 is that it's 100% business, it's no nonsense. I think Speedy & Luizi as well had a little bit too much fun for F1. Too much joking around. I'm not talking about the Red Bull parties, which they were expected to attend, but what happened at the track. Too many laughs on the pre-grid, too much joking with the mechanics etc. Things that a no-nonsense Austrian like Berger didn't appreciate at all.

Look at Raikkonen. He gets drunk and stupid off the track, including racing power boats in a gorilla suit, but at the track he is basically a robot. He's there to do a job and that's it. Absolutely no-nonsense. Alonso at Minardi, same thing. "I try to get the best out of the car and finish the race." That's all he would say, and I'm sure that is all Vettel will say as well. That is what is expected of you. Not yelling and doing stupid stuff infront of the camera on the pre-grid like Speed did. Even on the pre-grid at the Nurburgring you hear him yelling in his helmet and his engineer was seen laughing. What is the point of that?

Finally in a year and a half, Speed managed to get in an altercation with Coultard, Weber, Berger & Tost. There aren't that many F1 Red Bull brass left....:shakehead

Insomniac
08-05-07, 11:21 AM
I talked with someone with F1 experience about Scott Speed's being fired and this is what they said.

To be honest I'm not surprised Speed was let go before the year was finished. The thing about F1 is that it's 100% business, it's no nonsense. I think Speedy & Luizi as well had a little bit too much fun for F1. Too much joking around. I'm not talking about the Red Bull parties, which they were expected to attend, but what happened at the track. Too many laughs on the pre-grid, too much joking with the mechanics etc. Things that a no-nonsense Austrian like Berger didn't appreciate at all.

Look at Raikkonen. He gets drunk and stupid off the track, including racing power boats in a gorilla suit, but at the track he is basically a robot. He's there to do a job and that's it. Absolutely no-nonsense. Alonso at Minardi, same thing. "I try to get the best out of the car and finish the race." That's all he would say, and I'm sure that is all Vettel will say as well. That is what is expected of you. Not yelling and doing stupid stuff infront of the camera on the pre-grid like Speed did. Even on the pre-grid at the Nurburgring you hear him yelling in his helmet and his engineer was seen laughing. What is the point of that?

Finally in a year and a half, Speed managed to get in an altercation with Coultard, Weber, Berger & Tost. There aren't that many F1 Red Bull brass left....:shakehead

And it's the last paragraph that explains why he was the one let go instead of Liuzzi. They were both out at the end of 2007, and they could get one of their 2008 drivers in the car now and chose to drop the faster of the two drivers.

Spicoli
08-13-07, 09:04 AM
Top of his list, according to whispers, is the front-running Champ Car team Newman/Haas/Lanigan, whose title-winning driver Sebastien Bourdais is ironically on his way to Faenza-based Toro Rosso next year to replace Speed's similarly job-seeking 2007 teammate, Tonio Liuzzi.

"In the next few weeks I will look around in the States for a new job," Speed is quoted as saying. "I am convinced that in Champ Car and NASCAR possibilities for me exist."

"I am not trying to stay in Formula One, because I know there is no chance for me to move forwards in the way that I want to," he added.

:)

stroker
08-13-07, 09:33 AM
I love hallucinogens for breakfast.

Unka Gerry hires MoNunn to take over FCR and picks up Speed to go with Tracy for 2008.

Did I just say that, or was it the bookshelf hanging from the ceiling with the big purple mushrooms?

:D

Wally
08-14-07, 11:25 AM
nascrap bound I am afraid....:shakehead

trauma1
08-14-07, 11:47 AM

he might want to talk to AJ what's his name before this bonehead move:rofl:

Spicoli
08-14-07, 12:03 PM

no ****? linky? i can;t find anything...

trauma1
08-14-07, 12:10 PM
Speed drove in formula one against the world's best drivers," the Austrian billionaire is quoted as saying by Motorsport Aktuell, "he is courageous, and his name is a marketer's dream -- and with a cowboy hat it is perhaps complete

http://www.f1way.com/news/2007/august/14/red-bull-to-put-speed-in-nascar

Spicoli
08-14-07, 12:13 PM
Speed drove in formula one against the world's best drivers," the Austrian billionaire is quoted as saying by Motorsport Aktuell, "he is courageous, and his name is a marketer's dream -- and with a cowboy hat it is perhaps complete

Oh for ****'s sake. :shakehead

extramundane
08-14-07, 12:16 PM
What's the over/under on him taking Allmendinger's seat?

trauma1
08-14-07, 12:22 PM
Oh for ****'s sake. :shakehead

glad i'm making your day:rofl:

Rogue Leader
08-14-07, 06:06 PM

GOD you have GOT to be kidding me!

Spicoli
08-14-07, 06:12 PM
glad i'm making your day:rofl:

JV is coming next! :gomer:

No seriously, this is just ****ing sad. not even a sniff at CCWS? :shakehead

Indy
08-14-07, 06:31 PM
"He would be an asset for us in NASCAR," Mateschitz said of the 24-year-old.

It's all business and CC is small, small potatoes.

oddlycalm
08-14-07, 07:44 PM
"He would be an asset for us in NASCAR," Mateschitz said of the 24-year-old. Yeah, NASCAR is in desperate need of more US drivers...:gomer:

opinionated ow
08-14-07, 08:15 PM
needs more mateschitz

Andrew Longman
08-14-07, 10:08 PM
Not yelling and doing stupid stuff infront of the camera on the pre-grid like Speed did. Even on the pre-grid at the Nurburgring you hear him yelling in his helmet and his engineer was seen laughing. What is the point of that?

Right or wrong F1 doesn't embrace personality in their drivers.

Speed, perhaps incorrectly, likely felt that he was being marketed as the first American driver in ages and it was important that he be likable enough for Americans to care about him

After investing boo coo buck recruiting and developing an American driver Red Bull apparently forgot or changed whatever priority they put on having an American in F1.

It a shame. Esp. w/o a USGP it will be a long time before an American is in F1. SeeBass may be the closest we come:gomer:

stroker
08-15-07, 09:14 AM
As long as Bernie & Co. are running the show I can't say I'd care less if there was an American winning the freakin' F1 World Championship. I don't think Bernie gets it. IMHO Americans aren't following F1 because there's no American driver. I think Americans aren't watching F1 because it's very structure and execution are not American.

Indy
08-15-07, 09:26 AM
As long as Bernie & Co. are running the show I can't say I'd care less if there was an American winning the freakin' F1 World Championship. I don't think Bernie gets it. IMHO Americans aren't following F1 because there's no American driver. I think Americans aren't watching F1 because it's very structure and execution are not American.

Well said.

Gnam
08-15-07, 11:42 AM
If Speed ends up in NASCAR and AJ Almondigger also stays, how many drivers with open wheel experience would that make?

By my count:
1) Jeff Gordon
2) JPM
3) AJ
4) Tony Stewart
5) Ryan Newman
6) Robby Gordon
7) Kasey Kahne
and
8) Speed

They should form a support group for former open wheel drivers called "OWn3D."

Methanolandbrats
08-15-07, 11:48 AM
As long as Bernie & Co. are running the show I can't say I'd care less if there was an American winning the freakin' F1 World Championship. I don't think Bernie gets it. IMHO Americans aren't following F1 because there's no American driver. I think Americans aren't watching F1 because it's very structure and execution are not American. Following F1 requires an attention span longer than three seconds. Same problem for soccer in the USA. Only reason anyone has heard of Beckham is because he's married to a tone deaf bimbo.

G.
08-15-07, 12:06 PM
I think Americans aren't watching F1 because it's very structure and execution are not American.F1 needs more short-trackers and ovals.:p

Boatdesigner
08-15-07, 01:55 PM
I watch every F1 race, but it is really boring most of the time. Sorry, it has nothing to do with short attention spans. Make F1 exciting to watch and it may become more popular. There were more passes in Sunday's CCWS race than during the whole season of F1 so far. F1 is also a little too stuffy, I hate the formal news conferences. They seem so phony and contrived. Maybe if FA and LH had a brawl . . .

By the way, lately I'd rather watch the EPL than the NFL. Last night I watched Gaelic Football for the first time, pretty cool!

opinionated ow
08-15-07, 06:05 PM
If Speed ends up in NASCAR and AJ Almondigger also stays, how many drivers with open wheel experience would that make?

By my count:
1) Jeff Gordon
2) JPM
3) AJ
4) Tony Stewart
5) Ryan Newman
6) Robby Gordon
7) Kasey Kahne
and
8) Speed

you forgot JJ Yeley, and there are a stack of others-marcos ambrose, josh wise, erin crocker, kraig kinser etc.

swift
08-16-07, 11:45 AM

By my count:
1) Jeff Gordon
8) Speed

You can add Casey Mears (Indy Lights, some CC & IRL)

trauma1
08-16-07, 01:39 PM
wel luizzi is looking at CC

”I started to look around 2 months ago, since I decided not to return to Toro Rosso,” he told Italiaracing.net. “Many contradictory episodes happened in 2007, so I wanted to move on. I'm talking with a couple of high-level teams, but I'm not mentioning their name. I'm also looking to the USA, more at ChampCar than IndyCar, but my main goal is to stay in Formula 1; I feel like I've a lot yet to prove.”

Gnam
08-16-07, 04:25 PM
"...since I decided not to return to Toro Rosso."
-Vitantonio Luizzi
It is to laugh. :laugh:

Insomniac
08-16-07, 10:39 PM
To this day I don't get why Red Bull gave Cheever all that money for an IRL team, spend all that money in F1 and won't get a CC team for a fraction of the cost for driver development at a minimum.

NismoZ
08-23-07, 01:02 PM
Forget it. F-1 has just become the NASCAR feeder series. Speed to 'CABs. RB gets more for it's $s there.

jonovision_man
08-23-07, 03:23 PM
Forget it. F-1 has just become the NASCAR feeder series. Speed to 'CABs. RB gets more for it's $s there.

You get FIRED from F1 and spend your retirement in NASCAR... kind of the reverse of a feeder series. :p

jono

jonovision_man
08-23-07, 07:12 PM
I was just reading this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61690

"NASCAR is a very special form of racing, and even a guy like Montoya, with all his F1 experience and his Champ Car racing on ovals, can't just jump in and be competitive.

Montoya's not competitive? :confused: He was last time I checked! He's not dominant, but he's definitely competitive!

jono

devilmaster
08-23-07, 11:32 PM
Montoya's not competitive? :confused: He was last time I checked! He's not dominant, but he's definitely competitive!

jono

He's definitely more competitive than the Ganassi/Sabates team had been the past couple years....

Spicoli
08-23-07, 11:59 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/4m0h7c1.jpg

mapguy
08-24-07, 06:14 AM
Vote for Pedro.