PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car timed races?

greenie
07-31-07, 12:55 AM
This seems to be the most balanced CC supporting non-bootlicking public forum out there IMO.

So I'm curious what ya'll think about timed races now that it's the norm.

I'll throw my comment out that I thought it was beyond bush when announced, but I've grown to like it and probably prefer it (for Champ Car). I've got my reasons, but I'd like to see yours in support or against.

Vote now! :tony:

pitwall3
07-31-07, 01:05 AM
I've made it to 5 races this year and I like it.

Gnam
07-31-07, 01:11 AM
ALMS = timed races
Speed GT = timed races
WRC = timed stages
NHRA = timed
F1 = timed races (2 hour max)

Champ Car has good company. :thumbup:

greenie
07-31-07, 01:23 AM
I've made it to 5 races this year and I like it.

Damn! That's impressive - I thought I was rocking having hit 3 so far - 4th in the cards but late in the year.

:cheers:

cameraman
07-31-07, 01:42 AM
Seems to work just fine. Especially now that they have the clock issues on the TV broadcast fixed.

Lux Interior
07-31-07, 06:22 AM
Good - I know it will fit in the TV window.

jonovision_man
07-31-07, 06:27 AM
F1 = timed races (2 hour max)

Champ Car has good company. :thumbup:

99% of F1 races finish on lap count, not the clock.

I don't hate it, works for TV.

jono

KLang
07-31-07, 06:42 AM
I voted good but I don't really feel strongly about it either way. It is just the reality of fitting into the allotted TV schedule. It appears to be working out OK as there is time for a few post race interviews each week.

jonovision_man
07-31-07, 08:08 AM
I voted good but I don't really feel strongly about it either way. It is just the reality of fitting into the allotted TV schedule. It appears to be working out OK as there is time for a few post race interviews each week.

True.

The old way - the number of laps were selected based on time too, weren't they? I seem to remember they took the expected lap time and tried to figure out roughly how long the race would take. I seem to recall them coming up short one time on this calculation, possibly at Brands Hatch? Working from memory here.

The DP-01 lap times weren't known for most tracks, so this way is as good as any.

jono

Insomniac
07-31-07, 08:17 AM
I like it. I don't know why the flag man can't wave the white flag though. :confused:

Still have the fuel conservation issue, but I think the only solution is to shrink the tank so tire changing takes longer than fuel filling and reinstate the pit stop windows. I hate that idea. So, I'd settle for Bridgestone providing a more aggressive red tire that would go away before the end of the stint (like Denver last year).

Insomniac
07-31-07, 08:18 AM
99% of F1 races finish on lap count, not the clock.

I don't hate it, works for TV.

jono

Just because they rarely use it doesn't mean they don't have it. They are better able to avoid FCYs.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 08:21 AM
True.

The old way - the number of laps were selected based on time too, weren't they? I seem to remember they took the expected lap time and tried to figure out roughly how long the race would take. I seem to recall them coming up short one time on this calculation, possibly at Brands Hatch? Working from memory here.

The DP-01 lap times weren't known for most tracks, so this way is as good as any.

jono

It seemed like with the time buys (and inability to go over the window) they were switching more and more races to a timed race towards the end because it was going longer than they figured. This way, it's set from the beginning so there isn't some change with 10 minutes in the race left.

Easy
07-31-07, 10:20 AM
I like it. I don't know why the flag man can't wave the white flag though. :confused:

FIA flagging rules, no white flag for last lap.

Accipiter
07-31-07, 10:30 AM
It's a good solution to a bad situation. The only reason they have to do this is beacause of the cost of TV time buys. If CC was more popular and could command good TV advertising dollars, then this wouldn't be neccecary.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 10:46 AM
FIA flagging rules, no white flag for last lap.

For all races or just timed races? Is the white flag used at all any more?

opinionated ow
07-31-07, 11:14 AM

fia haven't used the white flag for donkey's years. last lap board is standard practice. that finger waggling think is just plain wanky.

as for timed races, they suck. i like to know how many laps i am watching, not some hypothetical guess. i want to know how long my driver has left to make their move, not some lame assed 5 minutes and 47.786 seconds left bs.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 11:54 AM
fia haven't used the white flag for donkey's years. last lap board is standard practice. that finger waggling think is just plain wanky.

as for timed races, they suck. i like to know how many laps i am watching, not some hypothetical guess. i want to know how long my driver has left to make their move, not some lame assed 5 minutes and 47.786 seconds left bs.

If that's the case (on the flag), then why did CC just drop it this year? Just seems odd.

Your driver has 5 minutes and 47.786 seconds and change left to make their move. :)

G.
07-31-07, 12:19 PM
wut he sed ^^^

opinionated ow
07-31-07, 08:09 PM
If that's the case (on the flag), then why did CC just drop it this year? Just seems odd.

Your driver has 5 minutes and 47.786 seconds and change left to make their move. :)

all a part of the 2007 attempt to become F1 lite. It sure as hell isn't FIA allignment or they would get a last lap board instead of the wanky finger waggling.

the white flag by fia regs is used to indicate to drivers that there is a super slow/broken car in their vicinity. i still don't see why they had to change it, but then again, i don't see why they took the officials out of pit lane or why the f they went to boring standing starts.

nissan gtp
07-31-07, 08:18 PM
I like the timed races -- lots of upside (TV time, etc), no significant downside IMO.

PS.
This seems to be the most balanced CC supporting non-bootlicking public forum out there IMO.
nice compliment there greenie :rofl:

Ed_Severson
07-31-07, 09:46 PM
i don't see why they took the officials out of pit lane

What are you babbling about now?

Sean Malone
07-31-07, 10:47 PM

They should only use a white flag if Boreday is leading.

G.
07-31-07, 10:52 PM
They should only use a white flag if Boreday is leading.:rofl: :laugh:

Insomniac
07-31-07, 11:18 PM
i still don't see why they had to change it, but then again, i don't see why they took the officials out of pit lane or why the f they went to boring standing starts.

Admittedly, I don't look specifically for the CC officials in pit lane, but I'm fairly certain I have seen them this year. I also think the standing starts are SO MUCH better than the rolling starts. If they weren't going to crack down and make them do proper rolling starts, the standing starts are a great solution.

Insomniac
07-31-07, 11:20 PM
They should only use a white flag if Boreday is leading.

:thumbup:

opinionated ow
08-01-07, 12:38 AM
What are you babbling about now?

when the 2007 rule changes were made public (standing start, flaggin etc) it was also announced that the pit lane officials were being moved behind the wall. if they changed that rule back, then good. you can't see clearly what is going on from behind the wall. common sense would dictate that.

Easy
08-01-07, 10:24 AM

Its not a case of ChampCar dropping the white flag=last lap, they just never used FIA flagging rules before this year.

G.
08-01-07, 10:54 AM
when the 2007 rule changes were made public (standing start, flaggin etc) it was also announced that the pit lane officials were being moved behind the wall. if they changed that rule back, then good. you can't see clearly what is going on from behind the wall. common sense would dictate that.You ever been in a "hot" pit?

opinionated ow
08-01-07, 10:56 AM
You ever been in a "hot" pit?

yes. champ car, formula 3 and australian gt championship (ie with and without wall). there is no way in hell you could see what was going on on the track side of the car from behind the wall. that is probably why they changed it back (if they have)

Ed_Severson
08-01-07, 11:25 AM
that is probably why they changed it back (if they have)

There's nothing to change it back from -- it was never that way to begin with. But hey, let's not let reality get in the way.

Chief
08-01-07, 11:33 AM
I've accepted the timed races and the FIA rules, but I really think they should stick them Euro BS FIA rules up their ***. Green flags, rolling starts and white flags baby, that's what it's all about. Green Acres is the place to be!:thumbup:

Gnam
08-01-07, 11:46 AM
Race officials were pushing PT's car back to his pit when he ran out of fuel.

ESPN still shows a white flag graphic next to the lap/time counter on the last lap.

Chief has a point, Champ Car is an American sport so it should take measures to poke the FIA regs in the eye.
For example:
1. the standing start lights should should change to green instead of just shutting off. Green means go.
2. Use the FIA flagging rules, but the flagstand still waves the white flag with one lap to go.

Next thing you know they'll be talking about liters of fuel and top speed in kilometer per hour and how J Dub stands over 2 meters. Madness. ;)

dando
08-01-07, 05:13 PM
I personally don't like them, but as long as they are declared time from the start, then it's much better than declaring them timed w/30 minutes to go b4 the teevee runs out. :\

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
08-01-07, 06:24 PM
most races, except for inclement weather, have gone more laps than there were under the lap rule.

greenie
08-03-07, 02:23 AM
most races, except for inclement weather, have gone more laps than there were under the lap rule.

That's an interesting stat - which at least potentially negates one of the best arguments against timed races (i.e. - getting jipped laps).

Very interesting to me that the vote is 7-3 in favor.

Insomniac
08-03-07, 07:43 AM
That's an interesting stat - which at least potentially negates one of the best arguments against timed races (i.e. - getting jipped laps).

Very interesting to me that the vote is 7-3 in favor.

I feel like there is a noticeably less amount of FCY this year as well.

Ziggy
08-03-07, 08:10 AM
greenie, did you OK this poll with ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:laugh:

With the shape that Champcar is in right now, the timed races makes the most sense (and I didn't think that way eight months ago)

It works for TV, and TV is king:mad:

greenie
08-04-07, 04:10 AM
greenie, did you OK this poll with ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:laugh:

I'm quite certain that the comma chameleon isn't too fond of me, but your point's well taken. :rofl: