PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Coming out of San Jose & Holland.

Fio1
07-29-07, 11:16 AM
Here's one for you! One that not even AR1 can make up...:rofl:

Jos Verstappen looks likely to race in ChampCar next season with his backer Trust closing in on a deal to takeover a team, GPUpdate.net can reveal. The computer supplier is looking to purchase a team in the US series as it endeavours to break into the US market. Verstappen, whose sponsorship from Trust helped secure a drive with Minardi F1 in 2003, is in pole position to take one of the seats.
Trust founder Michael Perridon is currently in San Jose, where the ChampCar teams are competing this weekend, to bash out a deal. There are apparently two teams vying for Perridon's signature to become 'Trust Team USA'.

"We are here trying to negotiate a deal to purchase a team in the ChampCar Series for next year," Perridon told GPUpdate.net exclusively. "But it is still relatively in its early stages." When asked about the possibility of running 35-year-old Verstappen, he said: "It is a bit premature to be talking about drivers at the moment but the link (with Verstappen) is obvious."

The second seat could be filled by Indy Pro Series driver Arie Luyendyk Jr., whose father and double Indy 500-winner Arie Luyendyk is being linked with the role of team boss.

Arie Luyendyk jr? :shakehead

Link: http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=219548

KLang
07-29-07, 11:23 AM
Which teams might be for sale? Conquest probably. Beyond that?

Rob
07-29-07, 11:25 AM
Maybe one branch of RSPORTS?

Lux Interior
07-29-07, 11:27 AM
It would be nice, but there have been so many "Jos to Champcar" stories that I am getting jaded.

spinner26
07-29-07, 11:46 AM
I'm sure KK would be willing to sell any of the teams / drivers he supports / owns.

Spicoli
07-29-07, 11:54 AM
GF's team will be available next year.

KLang
07-29-07, 12:29 PM

I don't believe that.

nrc
07-29-07, 12:45 PM
I don't believe that.

Maybe not the way he implies, but it used to be "Players Racing" afterall.

Insomniac
07-29-07, 12:49 PM
I don't believe that.

I would if he's really tired of propping up his team. Just stick with series (and other asset) ownership.

KLang
07-29-07, 01:16 PM
Maybe not the way he implies, but it used to be "Players Racing" afterall.

A partner of some sort I can believe. Going back to his CART stock purchases GF has more $ in this game then anyone.

FTG
07-29-07, 02:12 PM
Maybe Cheever will buy GF's team. I heard he was coming to Champ Car as soon as Bernie buys it.

gpflepsen
07-29-07, 02:59 PM

Big changes are a comin',,, :eek:

Spicoli
07-29-07, 06:30 PM
Maybe Cheever will buy GF's team. I heard he was coming to Champ Car as soon as Bernie buys it.

wow. Did you leave your purse at CCF?:rofl:

JLMannin
07-30-07, 11:38 AM
Wow, the tension mounts. Which will happen first? Jos in Champcar or a Champcar race in China?

Spicoli
07-30-07, 11:58 AM
OK. So CCWS once again let's things outta the bag, with expectations being set (once again) that likely can't be met.

We have a bunch of teams running on showstrings at the moment, including Unka Gerry's FCR, which he will likely dump in a heartbeat should someone make him a decent offer. No Unka Ger at a bunch of races, Atlantics guys are working on CCWs teams, etc etc.

You can bet Conquest is looking for a "partner" ($$$).

What's up with Ru/Rocket/Rsports for next year? Gentiloser doesn't seem to have solid financial backing, etc.

The lsit could go on and on, but one thing is clear: There is still no title/series sponsor, the 08 schedule is not clear, and while the racing has been surprisingly great this year, we aren't getting much/any good press as we were all promised to have our socks knocked off by this time, this season.

My hunch is that we will see more and more Euro influences in the series as time goes on, including teams, drivers, venues coming on board, and that we are relegated the awesome title as "F1 lite".

oh well, wtf do i know. :\

NismoZ
07-30-07, 01:13 PM
Combine all that with the "2 European trips" (4 races) rumors and we certainly could have big changes afoot. Not enough room in F-1, Euro money looking for a place to land and old CC people perhaps looking for a way out? It is what it is and it sounds to me like our "Europesn style" of road racing combined with the growing interest in street and even night racing might just find it's greatest success in... EUROPE. Go figure.:) Let's run at Donnington Park and Athens!:cool:

cameraman
07-30-07, 01:27 PM
My hunch is that we will see more and more Euro influences in the series as time goes on, including teams, drivers, venues coming on board, and that we are relegated the awesome title as "F1 lite".

The other option is unemployment for everybody. CCWS goes away and you will have utltrahigh downforce battlewagons designed for IMS running at Long Beach and a couple of other races. The IRL "product" will not improve and I'll be left with F1 and GP2. If EuroF1-lite keeps everyone employed and the series alive so be it.

jonovision_man
07-30-07, 01:57 PM
I'm ok with European races, 4 seems like a bit much but if someone's paying and nothing else gets bumped, that's OK.

New bumper sticker for KK: "My Pacific Rim Includes Europe"

jono

Insomniac
07-30-07, 02:02 PM
OK. So CCWS once again let's things outta the bag, with expectations being set (once again) that likely can't be met.

We have a bunch of teams running on showstrings at the moment, including Unka Gerry's FCR, which he will likely dump in a heartbeat should someone make him a decent offer. No Unka Ger at a bunch of races, Atlantics guys are working on CCWs teams, etc etc.

You can bet Conquest is looking for a "partner" ($$$).

What's up with Ru/Rocket/Rsports for next year? Gentiloser doesn't seem to have solid financial backing, etc.

The lsit could go on and on, but one thing is clear: There is still no title/series sponsor, the 08 schedule is not clear, and while the racing has been surprisingly great this year, we aren't getting much/any good press as we were all promised to have our socks knocked off by this time, this season.

oh well, wtf do i know. :\

They always seem to divulge too much information. They need to learn to say they're working on things or if they must tell the public, they need to stress it's only a possibility.

I have no idea what the solution is though. Will more people watching races on TV (means it doesn't matter where the races are, as long as it's a race people want to watch) or will having a race nearby and getting people to attend them mean more people will become interested in ChampCar?

How can CC drive down the cost to hold a race if getting people to go to the track is the catalyst to get a fan?

nrc
07-30-07, 02:16 PM
They always seem to divulge too much information. They need to learn to say they're working on things or if they must tell the public, they need to stress it's only a possibility.
Did Champ car tell anyone anything? According to the OP this came direct from the potential buyer. How do you prevent that? Do you really want to prevent that? My view is that if a sponsor is seriously looking at making a major comittment that reflects well on the series.

Spicoli
07-30-07, 02:33 PM

Agreed. CCWS PR/info/intel leaves much to be desired. I think back to my Soph year PR basics class, and CCWS seem to FUBAR every opportunity they get. Could this be symptomatic of a 4 headed beast - giving 4 different commands to the worker bees? In any case, its a disaster, for the 5th year in a row. We seem to be going 4 steps back, one step forward.

I have no idea what the solution is though. Will more people watching races on TV (means it doesn't matter where the races are, as long as it's a race people want to watch) or will having a race nearby and getting people to attend them mean more people will become interested in ChampCar?

LOL. Great Question. I'm down to 1 race a year (RA) and FTG just shat on my USGP, so who knows what the agenda is anymore for me personally. My kid's and family's schedule is getting more demanding (while work keeps getting easier), but anymore I'm just not that compelled to travel to many races. The closest drive to Indy anymore is Cleve. And that's 5 hours and 3 hotel nights and a b-sitter and.....whatever. I watch every F1 race, so I suppose I would still watch F1Lite/CCWS even tho I only attend RA...

How can CC drive down the cost to hold a race if getting people to go to the track is the catalyst to get a fan?

Not sure I understand your comment. The pairing with ALMS, etc DOES help with the costs, but ultimately I think a fan DOES have to see a race in person once a year to "get it". CCWS just seems to continue to cut corners (pare down staff, less activity at the tracks, etc) and who was it that just made the public comment that "Cleveland seemed like club Racing" (Steve Horne?). People like the party, but they also like the heavyweight money and the shizzy that goes along with it.

CCWS:
1/4 athlete
1/4 teamwork
1/4 big business/$$$
1/4 luck, risk, reward

FTG
07-30-07, 02:51 PM
wow. Did you leave your purse at CCF?:rofl:

I needed something to hold the tampons you left there when you had your premenstrual hissy fit.

Spicoli
07-30-07, 03:18 PM
I needed something to hold the tampons you left there when you had your premenstrual hissy fit.

:weaksauce:

Insomniac
07-30-07, 03:41 PM
Agreed. CCWS PR/info/intel leaves much to be desired. I think back to my Soph year PR basics class, and CCWS seem to FUBAR every opportunity they get. Could this be symptomatic of a 4 headed beast - giving 4 different commands to the worker bees? In any case, its a disaster, for the 5th year in a row. We seem to be going 4 steps back, one step forward.

I think from the time they bought CART from bankruptcy to now, they're doing better, but the last year or 2, they seem to be pretty flat, maybe a little down. I'd say a 4 headed beast is a problem. And it's not really that there are 4 cooks (although that generally isn't good) because at least publicly, they don't seem to be stepping on each other's toes. They all feel compelled to answer any question they are asked instead of referring them to one person. But, as I type that, I realize that for the most part last year, KK was the figurehead and he's the primary source of all the promise of 2007. If they are going to conduct a PR campaign, they should at least do it right. I think they would be better served not making comments about how great CC is going to be in the future. It hasn't helped in a long time.

LOL. Great Question. I'm down to 1 race a year (RA) and FTG just shat on my USGP, so who knows what the agenda is anymore for me personally. My kid's and family's schedule is getting more demanding (while work keeps getting easier), but anymore I'm just not that compelled to travel to many races. The closest drive to Indy anymore is Cleve. And that's 5 hours and 3 hotel nights and a b-sitter and.....whatever. I watch every F1 race, so I suppose I would still watch F1Lite/CCWS even tho I only attend RA...

I think that shows just how far CC has sunk. Most people have many options/things to do, and now CC is outranked by other options that maybe never had a chance 10 years ago. I fear they have spiraled to a point of no return. We've all said it before, they need more sponsors/money but to get that, they need more cars, consistent driver line-ups and more excitement in the races which only come with sponsors/money. What would CC look after having 26-28 cars and, for the most part, the same drivers for 3 seasons?

Not sure I understand your comment. The pairing with ALMS, etc DOES help with the costs, but ultimately I think a fan DOES have to see a race in person once a year to "get it". CCWS just seems to continue to cut corners (pare down staff, less activity at the tracks, etc) and who was it that just made the public comment that "Cleveland seemed like club Racing" (Steve Horne?). People like the party, but they also like the heavyweight money and the shizzy that goes along with it.

CCWS:
1/4 athlete
1/4 teamwork
1/4 big business/$$$
1/4 luck, risk, reward[/QUOTE]

I just meant that it must be expensive to prepare a temporary course. Is there any way to drive that cost down so they could hold one time races in different cities to try and get more people at the track? Can they work on a business model to break even at permanent places like RA and Laguna Seca where they can get a better show on Sunday and keep prices low enough to get people to spend their Sunday at the track?

San Jose must've been busy, the race didn't start until 3 PM local time, which seems pretty late. I don't remember the last time a US ChampCar race ended at 8 PM ET.