PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's shunt

gjc2
07-21-07, 09:13 AM
I was about to post "he's human after all" but it now appears it was caused by a mechanical failure. I hope he's OK.

Spicoli
07-21-07, 09:34 AM
what was with the twitchy feet after the hit?:saywhat:

FCYTravis
07-21-07, 10:32 AM
I think he was trying to make sure everything down there still worked :eek:

gjc2
07-21-07, 10:42 AM
If they're unable to repair that car and he has to race the spare will he have to start the race from either the back of the grid or the pit lane?

Insomniac
07-21-07, 01:46 PM
If they're unable to repair that car and he has to race the spare will he have to start the race from either the back of the grid or the pit lane?

I'd think if the engine is OK then he can start P10. But I'm not completely sure.

Rogue Leader
07-21-07, 06:35 PM
I'd think if the engine is OK then he can start P10. But I'm not completely sure.

I believe they have to pull the engine from the wreck and put it in the spare he can start from where he qualified.

Insomniac
07-21-07, 08:00 PM
We'll see how it works out tomorrow. Looks like it will be tricky:

Lewis Hamilton will be allowed to start the European GP with a new chassis without penalty, as long as he uses the engine from the car he crashed.

Usually the use of a spare car would automatically mean a pit lane start, regardless of a driver’s qualifying position. However, in this case replacing the chassis is accepted as replacing any other damaged or suspect part under parc ferme conditions.

The team is now building up a new race car for Hamilton around a spare tub that is carried in the truck for such emergencies.

In order to comply with parc ferme rules, the crashed car, its engine and all its damaged components were delivered to the FIA by 6:30 p.m. to be held overnight with all the other cars.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38876/

Ron Dennis says that McLaren has no concerns about possible damage to the engine in Lewis Hamilton’s crashed ar.

If Hamilton starts on Sunday he will use a new chassis rebuilt with the rear end from the accident. As the same engine is being reused, there will be no grid penalty. Despite the heavy impact with the tire barriers Dennis is sure that the original engine has not suffered.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38883/

jonovision_man
07-21-07, 08:20 PM
When he was moving my legs I was thinking Schumacher @Silverstone all over again...

Hope to see him charging to the front tomorrow, could be entertaining! :)

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
07-21-07, 10:16 PM
That was scary. Chalk that up to another McLaren failure. It's beginning to become habit with them. :shakehead

Peter Olivola
07-21-07, 10:44 PM
I love it when kids proclaim some revealed truth, or, as Harry Truman said, "The only thing new under the sun is the history you don't know." Mechanical failure is a result of playing around at the edges and F1 is about more edges than anything short of war.

That was scary. Chalk that up to another McLaren failure. It's beginning to become habit with them. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
07-21-07, 11:25 PM
I love it when kids proclaim some revealed truth, or, as Harry Truman said, "The only thing new under the sun is the history you don't know." Mechanical failure is a result of playing around at the edges and F1 is about more edges than anything short of war. Thanks for dropping in Mr. Obvious. :shakehead

Cam
07-21-07, 11:55 PM

Huh??? I assume this was sarcasm... :saywhat:

jonovision_man
07-22-07, 07:06 AM
He's been cleared to race! :thumbup:

I'm surprised, thought they'd sit him just as a precautionary thing, but if the kid's ready to go he's ready to go. Should be fun to watch him carve through the field, hasn't had to do much of that so far this year.

jono