PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Easy Bake Ovens That Burn and Maim

Methanolandbrats
07-19-07, 07:02 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/consumerproducts-SP/idUSN1942256020070719

More imported crap.

RichK
07-19-07, 07:53 PM
Doesn't sound like this is the Chinese' fault. It appears to be a design flaw. In either case, it's Hasbro's responsibility.

Methanolandbrats
07-19-07, 08:19 PM
Hasbro tried to get them made cheaper........worked for a while. I would not be surprised if Chinese "metalurgy" or "wiring" was the problem. Let's see, drugs that don't work, Harbor Freight power tools that last a month at most, poison toothpaste, stainless steel that rusts, poison pet food, etc,,,etc,,, I will not be putting a down payment on a Chinese Car :rofl:

oddlycalm
07-19-07, 08:53 PM
The trade agreement that allows food and drugs from China into the US needs to be cancelled. Now. Anyone with experience doing business in China knows why. Cheap tools we can avoid but bogus ingredients in foods won't be noticed until it's too late.

The kind of thinking that leads to this sort of trade deal is the same one that gets us into trouble time after time. Our logic, values, ethics and expectations are simply not common to the entire world. Corruption is a way of life in China and cheating at every turn is to be expected.

The trial and execution of a Chinese food and drug regulator by the Chinese government recently was particularly ironic because the companies he was accused of taking bribes from were state owned companies...:tony: The very fact they would execute one of their own simply for PR window dressing tells the whole story. :shakehead

oc

datachicane
07-19-07, 09:38 PM
Corruption is a way of life in China and cheating at every turn is to be expected.

Not like here, thank God.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
07-19-07, 09:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks a lot, beer just came out my nose :rofl:

Indy
07-20-07, 03:59 AM
Am I the only one who avoids anything Chinese whenever possible?

Count me as relieved that the Asian swing fell on its face. Let's abandon it for good.

Napoleon
07-20-07, 05:51 AM
The trade agreement that allows food and drugs from China into the US needs to be cancelled.

There is none - they are not part of NAFTA or CAFTA or any of the others, they import pursuant to general US trade law.

Andrew Longman
07-20-07, 09:02 AM
Interestingly there was also a piece in the paper today about a TV reporter in China being arrested because he supposedly faked a story about pork buns being made out of cardboard.

Probably means death in China.

OTOH some are accusing the state of nailing him to take attention away from all these product safety issues.

Wabbit
07-20-07, 10:16 AM

If possible, I avoid it too. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder. Even the Japanese are outsourcing to China for production.

Wabbit
07-20-07, 10:17 AM
The trade agreement that allows food and drugs from China into the US needs to be cancelled. Now. Anyone with experience doing business in China knows why. Cheap tools we can avoid but bogus ingredients in foods won't be noticed until it's too late.

And the FDA wants to close 7 food testing labs to save money.

Wheel-Nut
07-20-07, 10:37 AM

No!

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12371&highlight=made+america

RacinM3
07-21-07, 12:26 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know you're kidding, but the level of corruption in China is astounding. I talk regularly to a couple of people located over there, and I am constantly amazed at their stories of insitutionalized corruption. Literally NOTHING happens without somebody else getting their palms greased.

At least in my industry, it's NOTHING like that here.

EDwardo
07-21-07, 08:09 AM
WalMart........

Methanolandbrats
07-21-07, 08:17 AM
WalMart........ Sucks:thumdown:

Wabbit
07-21-07, 11:04 AM
China-Mart........

Fixed

EDwardo
07-21-07, 12:24 PM
Who's up for a game of Freedom checkers?

:rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
07-21-07, 12:51 PM
Who's up for a game of Freedom checkers?

:rolleyes: Sure, as long as you don't buy the board at WalMart. :D

RHR_Fan
07-21-07, 11:02 PM
I had an easy bake oven years and years ago. In fact it may still even be in my closet. I never had issues with it, although was the US less strict back then about imports or has the product gotten worse?

~Nicole

cameraman
07-22-07, 12:33 AM
I had an easy bake oven years and years ago. In fact it may still even be in my closet. I never had issues with it, although was the US less strict back then about imports or has the product gotten worse?

~Nicole

the product got worse.

imagine that:rolleyes:

nrc
08-01-07, 10:34 PM
More fun with Chinese toys.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Toy-maker Fisher-Price is recalling 83 types of toys - including the popular Big Bird, Elmo, Dora and Diego characters - because their paint contains excessive amounts of lead.

The worldwide recall being announced Thursday involves 967,000 plastic preschool toys made by a Chinese vendor and sold in the United States between May and August. It is the latest in a wave of recalls that has heightened global concern about the safety of Chinese-made products.

The recall is the first for Fisher-Price Inc. and parent company Mattel Inc. (MAT) involving lead paint. It is the largest for Mattel since 1998 when Fisher-Price had to yank about 10 million Power Wheels from toy stores.http://apnews.myway.com//article/20070802/D8QOK1P83.html

G.
08-01-07, 10:41 PM
I've got so many Thomas trains, Doras, Diegos, etc. around the house, I don't know where to begin!

FChina!

They don't give a damn about their own citizens, WhyTF would they care about us?

(Don't go political here, 'cept for FChina)

Al Czervik
08-01-07, 10:43 PM
Somebody will always do something for less money. When you buy on price alone, you become their "female dog".

Indy
08-01-07, 10:46 PM
Somebody will always do something for less money. When you buy on price alone, you become their "female dog".

Exactly. Just read a good article on Snapper lawn mowers. Long story short, they are made in Georgia, and they voluntarily pulled out of Walmart rather than cheapen their products to the extent necessary to compete there. Bottom line, the stuff you buy in places like that is not the same stuff you buy from independent stores/dealers, even when it appears to be the same product. You get what you pay for.

Methanolandbrats
08-01-07, 10:48 PM
My friend installed a Chinese lift in his shop. He puts his Suburban on it..........hope those Chinese Doods can weld :eek:

extramundane
08-01-07, 10:55 PM
Exactly. Just read a good article on Snapper lawn mowers. Long story short, they are made in Georgia, and they voluntarily pulled out of Walmart rather than cheapen their products to the extent necessary to compete there. Bottom line, the stuff you buy in places like that is not the same stuff you buy from independent stores/dealers, even when it appears to be the same product. You get what you pay for.

:thumbup:

nrc
08-01-07, 11:05 PM
My friend installed a Chinese lift in his shop. He puts his Suburban on it..........hope those Chinese Doods can weld :eek:What makes you think the steel is stronger than the welds? :)

Methanolandbrats
08-01-07, 11:11 PM
What makes you think the steel is stronger than the welds? :) Good point :eek:

chop456
08-02-07, 01:53 AM

I bought a used one about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. The brand new Homelite it replaced broke irreparably after 2 years.

A good quality Snapper is hard to beat. :D

Wheel-Nut
08-02-07, 09:36 AM
I've got so many Thomas trains, Doras, Diegos, etc. around the house, I don't know where to begin!

FChina!

They don't give a damn about their own citizens, WhyTF would they care about us?

(Don't go political here, 'cept for FChina)

I'm in the same boat with you G. and I agree with you, FChina!! Time to fire up the factories and start making stuff in the USA again.

FCYTravis
08-02-07, 10:10 AM
The person who said these other countries don't share our values, is right on.

Unrestricted "free trade" means everything around the world will sink to the lowest common denominator - the cheapest materials possible, factories built with no regard to worker safety or environmental protection, wages driven to the bottom and a few people go home with all the profits.

Does anyone really want to live in a Wal-Mart world? That's the direction we're heading right now.

This is one area where both parties have it spectacularly wrong.

Yes, FChina, but as long as the sheeple of America keep buying their crap, they'll keep shoveling it down our throats.

Methanolandbrats
08-02-07, 10:17 AM
I'm in the same boat with you G. and I agree with you, FChina!! Time to fire up the factories and start making stuff in the USA again. Never happen. Most consumers base their buying decisions on price and retail spending props up the economy. Unless consumers begin to value quality over price, companies are forced to cut costs to lower retail prices and maintain their sales. Wall Street comes into the picture too. Companies are valued on quarterly earnings and you cannot afford to have a bad quarter. In my opinion the United States is going to turn into a Third World ****hole if people continue to care about nothing but accumulating mountains of disposable junk.

oddlycalm
08-07-07, 02:25 PM
On a racing related note several grandstands at the Shanghai track were flattened by a relatively minor wind storm and won't be rebuilt in time for the F1 race. Oh, and the track manager was fired for corruption in May. Remember, it's the Chinese government that owns the track as it does all the other companies that are selling adulterated crap and substandard products.
grand stands fall down go boom (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61432)

On Monday, the company denied that lightweight alloys not tough enough to withstand strong winds were used in the stands' construction, the paper said.

The storm is the latest setback for the $350-million track's management company, which has been embroiled in scandal after its flamboyant chief, Yu Zhifei, was sacked for graft in May.
Good luck hosting (or perhaps hosing?) the Olympics.

oc

Andrew Longman
08-07-07, 03:24 PM
This is one area where both parties have it spectacularly wrong.

I was in Walmart last night picking up two of those collapsable chairs for my trip to the Glen. I was shocked at checkout to find they were only $4.50 each. If you factor standard markups at each step back to the manufacturer I figure that some poor schmuck in China got about 12 cents to make that chair.:shakehead

I then got in the car and on the radio is a story about how Americans are starting to worry more about paying for basics like food, energy, shelter, etc. because they've tapped just about all the home equity and credit as they can afford.

That was followed by a story about how China and Japan financial markets are worried because all the money they made selling us crap to fill up our homes was lent back to Americans to finance home mortgages and equity loans. Now Americans are defaulting on those loans at alarming rates and they are worried they will not only not get their money back but American won't have the credit to buy more crap from them.

Spectacularly wrong might be kind.

Methanolandbrats
08-07-07, 03:40 PM
I was in Walmart last night picking up two of those collapsable chairs for my trip to the Glen. I was shocked at checkout to find they were only $4.50 each. If you factor standard markups at each step back to the manufacturer I figure that some poor schmuck in China got about 12 cents to make that chair.:shakehead

I then got in the car and on the radio is a story about how Americans are starting to worry more about paying for basics like food, energy, shelter, etc. because they've tapped just about all the home equity and credit as they can afford.

That was followed by a story about how China and Japan financial markets are worried because all the money they made selling us crap to fill up our homes was lent back to Americans to finance home mortgages and equity loans. Now Americans are defaulting on those loans at alarming rates and they are worried they will not only not get their money back but American won't have the credit to buy more crap from them.

Spectacularly wrong might be kind. $4.50 :rofl: They'll collapse the first time you use them :laugh:

Andrew Longman
08-07-07, 04:02 PM
$4.50 :rofl: They'll collapse the first time you use them :laugh:

Not the first, but eventually. That's why I was buying new ones.:D

I usually get about two seasons of lacrosse and baseball games and race watching out of them.

A couple of years ago I was spending 8-12 bucks for the same chair.

TorontoWorker
08-08-07, 04:02 PM
So how do you think their astronauts feel lately!

Wofat: "Hey Chin, do you think party member Wing's company used Titanium in our retro rocket pack or the cheaper Aluminum"?

Chin: "What was that noise"?:eek:

gpflepsen
08-08-07, 04:34 PM
Yes, FChina, but as long as the sheeple of America keep buying their crap, they'll keep shoveling it down our throats.

It'd be interesting to see a documentary of the Supersize Me type following some family going through a year, or perhaps just a few months, trying to avoid buying anything made in China or some other industio-repressive (I think I made that up) society.

Could you do it? It would be very difficult.