PDA

View Full Version : Markus Winkelhock may get the Spyker seat!

Fio1
07-17-07, 12:43 PM
...for Nurburgring at least. That's a good thing for anyone who remember's Markus' father, Manfred who raced in f1 with ATS and Ram in early 80's. Markus' uncle, Jo tried to qualify a AGS in 89 or 1990 as well.

Marfred Winkelhock was very popular in Germany; making it to F1 from Touring cars. Unfortunately he was alway stuck in back of the grid Grand Prix cars but managed to do fairly well in them some of the races, especially Detriot in 1982. But, his talents were well displayed in Sports Cars, where he won quite a few races in the Zakspeed Fords and Kremer Porsche 962. He was one of the last drivers to race both F1 and group C sports cars in the same year, and was killed at Mosport in a Porsche 962 in 1985.

I first saw Markus at Monza in 2000 racing Formula Renault 2-liters. It was pretty cool seeing another Winkelhock in racing. His helmet is a copy of his father's and he looks exactly like him. Kubica, Massa and Briscoe were also in that race by the way.

oddlycalm
07-17-07, 01:59 PM
I'm not certain that being a 2nd generation backmarker is a distinction I'd be after...;) I do remember his father well and you're right about him never having a decent ride.

oc

eiregosod
07-17-07, 06:44 PM
Smokin' Jo Winkelhock, the Dick Trickle of f1.

opinionated ow
07-18-07, 07:42 AM
winkelhock iirc was in the same renault WS season as will power and robert kubica