PDA

View Full Version : MIS says Get outta here

SurfaceUnits
07-16-07, 04:28 PM
Michigan International Speedway officials have confirmed that the track won’t host an IndyCar Series event next year, the Indianapolis Star reports.

In case MIS indeed doesn’t hold an IRL round next year, it’ll mark the first time since the two-mile, D-shaped oval was opened in 1968 that no top-level open-wheel championship will visit the facility in a season. MIS has been hosting the IndyCar Series since 2002, with CART Champ cars racing at the Brooklyn circuit before that.

The 2007 IRL race at MIS, the Firestone Indy 400, is scheduled for August 5.

pchall
07-16-07, 04:28 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/SPORTS16/70716045/1064

MIS to host two NASCAR weekends in 2008, no IRL

July 16, 2007

FREE PRESS STAFF REPORTS

Racing fans will flock to the Michigan International Speedway for two weekends in 2008. But there is no IndyCar Series race scheduled in Brooklyn next year.

Next year's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will race at MIS on June 15 and Aug. 17 of next year. Those races will be preceeded by the Busch, Craftman Truck and ARCA RE/MAX Series races.

However, the IndyCar Series will not return to MIS for the 2008 season. The track said they could not secure a date that it considered "viable."

Isn't it about time to test that DP01 oval package? :tony:

Don Quixote
07-16-07, 04:40 PM
The track said they could not secure a date that it considered "viable."
Translated: January 1 through December 31.

But, but, but I thought all the IRL races were profitable for the tracks, league, teams, media and fans. :gomer:

Chief
07-16-07, 04:57 PM
HEY MAN.....lookie here...If some American was REALLY interested in saving 'muricun OW oval roots racing they could start a series with this lot:

WDW, Phoenix, Atlanta, Dover, New Hampshire, Charlotte, Gateway, Las Vegas, Nazareth, Pikes Peak, Fontana, Michigan.

REJECTED! Hahhahhhahhhaaaa.....:rofl:

SurfaceUnits
07-16-07, 05:52 PM
gomers are having a meltdown. The leeg officially sucks now :rofl:

http://trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94225

and honda sucks as well

Its CART II.

KLang
07-16-07, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Tony. :tony:

Spicoli
07-16-07, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Tony. :tony:

i'm pretty sure he's on our side now. he's got the gomers in complete capitulation.

http://i17.tinypic.com/5xfu1dx.jpg

SurfaceUnits
07-16-07, 06:43 PM
PaffTard Has Spoken - EARL is DEAD
ChrisPaff
Wants 1996-2002 IRL back!
Send a message via AIM to ChrisPaff

What a joke.. I guess the IRL can forget about me buying tickets to Richmond, Watkins Glen anymore.. The driver lineup sucks, the racing now sucks, and now Michigan is gone.. Great work.

SurfaceUnits
07-16-07, 06:48 PM
The best quote in the meltdown:

Originally Posted by indyracefan
The IRL already has an embarrasing and unacceptable fan base

B3RACER1a
07-16-07, 06:59 PM
That's too bad. :D

Fio1
07-16-07, 07:18 PM
Its CART II.

Wasn't it Cart Part II since 2003? It would be funny if they bailed out of Michigan for a street race in Korea.....

pchall
07-16-07, 07:50 PM
TF meldtdown sample:

Today, 02:40 PM
diftw

This league now officially s**ks.

Gee, I figured that out in 1996. :tony:

Tifosi24
07-16-07, 08:39 PM
Just to throw some salt on the wounds:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=REVnUwlPlFc

I wish I would have seen this race when it happened live.

jonovision_man
07-16-07, 08:52 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing the DP-01 at MIS.

jono

RichK
07-16-07, 08:56 PM

Ack, it makes me sick to my stomach to watch what was pissed away...

Elmo T
07-16-07, 09:12 PM
Did I read that correctly there at TF -

It is Champ Car's fault because ISC is mad at Champ Car and is getting even by plugging a 2008 IRL event in Phoenix? Michigan is lost in the shuffle? That combined with Honda shenanigans bringing in M-O? :eek: :rofl:

extramundane
07-16-07, 09:24 PM
Did I read that correctly there at TF -

It is Champ Car's fault because ISC is mad at Champ Car and is getting even by plugging a 2008 IRL event in Phoenix? Michigan is lost in the shuffle? That combined with Honda shenanigans bringing in M-O?

That's completely incorrect. Much like Phoenix, IRL failure at MIS is 100% the fault of the CART of yore and their scorched earth tactics. Except for Penske, he's clean. And Ganassi. And Rahal. Oh, Mikey & the Greens too, they're innocent. But other than them, scorched earth!

:tony:

Carl S @ TF Sez: "Stop whining and eat your street race." :thumbup:

Elmo T
07-16-07, 09:39 PM
:tony:
Carl S @ TF Sez: "Stop whining and eat your street race." :thumbup:

Now I see, just like CART killed Nazareth. As they say at Fark, "Wait, what?" ;)

The speculation is entertaining to say the least. There may be a run on the tin foil hats.

Indy
07-16-07, 09:43 PM

Someday I will tell my grandkids, "You know, I remember when they raced open wheel cars right here in this country."

And they will say, "No way, like Formula 1?"

And I will say, "Like Formula 1, only better..."

I think I am going to my room to cry now.

SurfaceUnits
07-16-07, 10:08 PM
:rofl: you've got the irl died today guys duking it out with the irl died in '02 guys

nrc
07-16-07, 10:09 PM
This is so funny I don't even know where to start. Blaming CART's "starched earth" tactics is the best of all. The IRL does exactly the kind of stuff that had the gomers blaming CART in the first place, and they're too blind or too moronic to recognize the reality that's right in front of them. Boys, you were sold a bill of goods. The only thing more stupid than buying it in the first place is continuing to defend it.

It's pretty clear that MIS simply saw the writing on the wall. The series gave the date they wanted to a road race only a few hundred miles away and then plopped a street race down in their own market. The race didn't draw flies in the first place and now they were going to have loose a lot of the promotional tickets and hospitality that Honda was still paying for. Been there, done that. So long :gomer:

If the gomers had two working neurons that could jump a spark between them they'd realize that Champ car is their only hope to keep their precious ovals a majority on their schedule. Most of what they have left is ISC charity paid for with season tickets sold on the strength of NASCAR events and small market tracks that can't fill their schedule through some other means. If Champ car folded tomorrow they'd immediately lose two or three more ovals in favor of adopted Champ car events.

JT265
07-16-07, 10:13 PM

To be fair, if Penske had of installed a bottle opener instead of a weight jacker, lil' Al wouldn't have had to take both hands off the wheel to twist the cap off and would have won that race.

:laugh:

Spicoli
07-16-07, 10:33 PM
This is so funny I don't even know where to start. Blaming CART's "starched earth" tactics is the best of all. The IRL does exactly the kind of stuff that had the gomers blaming CART in the first place, and they're too blind or too moronic to recognize the reality that's right in front of them. Boys, you were sold a bill of goods. The only thing more stupid than buying it in the first place is continuing to defend it.

It's pretty clear that MIS simply saw the writing on the wall. The series gave the date they wanted to a road race only a few hundred miles away and then plopped a street race down in their own market. The race didn't draw flies in the first place and now they were going to have loose a lot of the promotional tickets and hospitality that Honda was still paying for. Been there, done that. So long :gomer:

If the gomers had two working neurons that could jump a spark between them they'd realize that Champ car is their only hope to keep their precious ovals a majority on their schedule. Most of what they have left is ISC charity paid for with season tickets sold on the strength of NASCAR events and small market tracks that can't fill their schedule through some other means. If Champ car folded tomorrow they'd immediately lose two or three more ovals in favor of adopted Champ car events.

Zackly R - except, you make sense. :thumbup: great post.

SteveH
07-16-07, 11:01 PM

Nice post Richard. Sums it up perfectly.

Its sad that open wheel racing has to die to prove that TG was wrong all along. And its happening right before our eyes. Tony can be on top, on top of a sport that he alone marginalized.

TrueBrit
07-16-07, 11:30 PM
:rofl: you've got the irl died today guys duking it out with the irl died in '02 guys

Now THAT is funny!!!:laugh:

Methanolandbrats
07-16-07, 11:34 PM
:rofl: you've got the irl died today guys duking it out with the irl died in '02 guys THey'll be ok because the whole lot will be souper bike fans by next year :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
07-17-07, 01:09 AM
More love for a league partner

"Honda is the real reason this has happened. "

SurfaceUnits
07-17-07, 01:56 AM
Indy Fan in Georgia
Jonesboro, GA

19 min ago

Roger Penske wrote:
It's only a matter of time until I own a race track in Speedway, Indiana.

We hate you Roger ! you ruined California and Michigna speedway and sold them NECKCAR's company--ISC .

SurfaceUnits
07-17-07, 02:21 AM
and to think, spicoli makes fun of this guy:

ChrisPaff

Well after my trip to Michigan this year.. Im not buying anymore tickets other then the "500".. If anyone from the IRL is reading this they should be very concerned.. I also took my IRL sticker off my car today as well..

KLang
07-17-07, 08:47 AM

ChrisPaff

Well after my trip to Michigan this year.. Im not buying anymore tickets other then the "500".. If anyone from the IRL is reading this they should be very concerned.. I also took my IRL sticker off my car today as well..

Took off his earl sticker. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Actually that post points out the problem that CART was originally formed to correct. They only really care about one race.

NismoZ
07-17-07, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but 7,500 in Phoenix (;) ) will look a lot better on TV. What a beautifully well thought out schedule switch!

IlliniRacer
07-17-07, 10:26 AM

ChrisPaff

He'll probably also be taking down his AJ poster from his bedroom in his parent's basement.

Andrew Longman
07-17-07, 10:51 AM
Actually that post points out the problem that CART was originally formed to correct. They only really care about one race.

Yes. There are plenty, maybe even the majority, over there saying they are giving up on everything except Indy.

Makes me wonder about the IRLista mantra that there is nothing in CC worth merging with.

Without any superspeedways, other than Indy, what is there to merge with in the IRL? Milwaukee? MO? Maybe Richmond? I'd take St. Pete back. But people have to show up too.

At this point I really wonder what it would take to get Fontana or MIS back on anb open wheel schedule and make it successful.

Methanolandbrats
07-17-07, 11:04 AM
At this point I really wonder what it would take to get Fontana or MIS back on anb open wheel schedule and make it successful. One series. Racing is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be an enjoyable leisure time activity. Since the split most racing discussions sound like political debates with very little discussion of racing. That is what drove the "casual fans" away immediately. Now, after 10 years, even the hardcore on both sides are sick of it. I will sound like some old guy sitting on the porch reminiscing,
but I actually remember a time when following motorsports was fun instead of slow torture.

skaven
07-17-07, 01:32 PM
One series. Racing is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be an enjoyable leisure time activity. Since the split most racing discussions sound like political debates with very little discussion of racing. That is what drove the "casual fans" away immediately. Now, after 10 years, even the hardcore on both sides are sick of it. I will sound like some old guy sitting on the porch reminiscing, but I actually remember a time when following motorsports was fun instead of slow torture.

Cheers to that. I climbed Crestone Needle with a friend this weekend who was asking me about racing... I couldn't even muster any hate and gave him the short version of the split. A few years ago, I would've talked his ear off.

Also, like the Paffster, I took the Champcar sticker off my nalgene bottle a few months ago. :gomer:

oddlycalm
07-17-07, 02:39 PM
At this point I really wonder what it would take to get Fontana or MIS back on anb open wheel schedule and make it successful. A field of 28 cars with drivers that people other than hardcore fans have actually heard of. In other words, the same thing that made it a success before.

Of course that's about as likely to happen as TG showing detectable signs of intelligence or anyone other the BiF knowing what starched earth is...:gomer:

oc

devilmaster
07-17-07, 06:27 PM
sheesh....

that TF thread just reminded me why I never go there anymore. :yuck: :shakehead

opinionated ow
07-18-07, 07:44 AM
AOW is officially FUBARED

SurfaceUnits
07-18-07, 10:41 AM
AOW is officially FUBARED
earl is officially fubared Derek Daly says so:

Derek Daly commented, “The reason there is no Indy race at MIS next year is that no one cares. No one cares about the IRL anymore. I'm worried about the next generation – forget about this generation, they've been passed over. Not having a race at Michigan is just confirmation. It's very obvious what needs to be done – I just wish that someone would get it done.” Daly commented that it would take 5 to 8 years to rebuild Indy racing, if it can be rebuilt at all.

Welcome to 12 years ago Derek

JLMannin
07-18-07, 11:23 AM
Well, I guess NASCAR tickets just got cheaper at MKIS, as the IRL tax is gone.

pchall
07-18-07, 04:19 PM
Well, I guess NASCAR tickets just got cheaper at MKIS, as the IRL tax is gone.

I'd think ISC would just require everyone to re-up at the same price. It's not like they were actually paying for the IRL tix, anyway.

pchall
07-18-07, 04:21 PM
Do NASCRA/ISC track season packages ever get cheaper?

eiregosod
07-18-07, 04:26 PM
Do NASCRA/ISC track season packages ever get cheaper?

I don't know, but ISC can make more money by keeping the season ticket prices the same while not offering an EARl ticket.

Napoleon
07-19-07, 05:43 AM
NRC :thumbup:

:rofl: