PDA

View Full Version : Current most hated words, phrases?

Pages : 1 [2]

chop456
07-24-07, 01:07 AM
"fine golf shot." I heard that a couple times watching the British Open - no **** it's a golf shot. :gomer:

That drives me nuts.

So does "makeable putt". :gomer:

eiregosod
07-24-07, 07:30 AM
Redundant crap like "tuna fish" and "pistachio nuts" tends to irritate me.

As does "fine golf shot." I heard that a couple times watching the British Open - no **** it's a golf shot. :gomer:

and redundant crap like "British Open" when its called "The open" :D

WickerBill
07-24-07, 07:50 AM
Since we're on to sports announcers... the attempted Americanization of soccer is probably #1 on my list.

It is not one to nothing. It is one to nil. We do not say that the score of a game of tennis is 30-nothing; it is 30-love. That is the way it is spoken, that is correct. In soccer, the term for zero is "nil" for English-speaking announcers. In bowling, you didn't get a "twelve", you got a 300. It's the way the game is scored and spoken. In golf, the announcer does not say "the ball curved sharply to the right"; he says "slice".

These are all terms that go with their respective games. There is no need to dumb down the broadcast. ESPN, Dave O'Brien, I'm talking to you -- you will not gain ONE SINGLE VIEWER by saying "nothing" instead of "nil", or by saying "field" instead of "pitch", or by saying "out of bounds down there on the sideline, which they use another term for in other countries" instead of "touchline". (that one's my personal favorite O'Brien-ism). But you will certainly lose a few viewers, especially if the game is also on Univision.

chop456
07-24-07, 08:42 AM
I draw the line at zed.

Elmo T
07-24-07, 08:45 AM
Maybe just a regional thing, but I am hearing "Sounds Good..." at least 10 times a day.

Me - "I can stop by at 10AM."

Contractor - "Sounds good..."

TrueBrit
07-24-07, 09:08 AM
One thing that gets on my nerves is when people pronounce the word "vase" the snobby way, "vahhz". Unless you are at least a second-generation multi-millionaire, "vase" rhymes with "face".

Um....no it doesn't matey...Vase is pronounced similarly to 'cars'.....at least it is in countries that speak English properly...

Elmo T
07-24-07, 09:31 AM
One thing that gets on my nerves is when people pronounce the word "vase" the snobby way, "vahhz". Unless you are at least a second-generation multi-millionaire, "vase" rhymes with "face".

Vase < $25
Vahhz > $25

eiregosod
07-24-07, 09:49 AM
Um....no it doesn't matey...Vase is pronounced similarly to 'cars'.....at least it is in countries that speak English properly...

awoight, guv'nor

WickerBill
07-24-07, 10:11 AM

So in other words, the r gets replaced by h?

I've always wondered about the British propensity to drop Rs when they're called for "he's wrecked his cah" but then adding them when they're uncalled for (words that end in A -- Christina turns into Christiner, America turns into Americer).

Not saying it isn't right, of course. They invented the language and all, they can do what they will with it.

TrueBrit
07-24-07, 11:45 AM
awoight, guv'nor

Awoight me old mucker? 'Ow you been? 'Ow's the missus, alright is she? Luverly! Fancy a cuppa? nah? 'Ow abaaat a pint daaaan the boozer then? Betta? Fought so! Noice!!! Bring your readies and let's get pissed awoight sunshine?

Rob
07-24-07, 12:36 PM
So in other words, the r gets replaced by h?

I've always wondered about the British propensity to drop Rs when they're called for "he's wrecked his cah" but then adding them when they're uncalled for (words that end in A -- Christina turns into Christiner, America turns into Americer).

A good example is when the guy from Oasis sings "champagne supahnover in the sky..." Why????

Ed_Severson
07-24-07, 12:53 PM
Not saying it isn't right, of course. They invented the language and all, they can do what they will with it.

http://collaborative.ucdavis.edu/ss0304/mherrera/images/George-Washington.jpg

Disagree.

TrueBrit
07-24-07, 02:19 PM
http://collaborative.ucdavis.edu/ss0304/mherrera/images/George-Washington.jpg

Disagree.

Hmm, he aint' ENGLISH though is he? Which is sort of the point ;)

Ed_Severson
07-24-07, 02:34 PM
Hey ... we kicked your arse once. Don't make us do it again. :D

You invented the language. We perfected it.

Suck it, London. :tony:

extramundane
07-24-07, 03:20 PM
"Terms of Service" :yuck:

:D

TrueBrit
07-24-07, 04:17 PM
Hey ... we kicked your arse once. Don't make us do it again. :D

You invented the language. We perfected it.

Suck it, London. :tony:

Who's "we"? You and the French? Funny how most of you forget that every July...:D

Now pass me another croissant and go suck on your latte....:laugh:

WickerBill
07-24-07, 07:33 PM
Viva la France!

Now are ya gonna answer my question? :)

grungex
07-24-07, 07:42 PM
I draw the line at zed.

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Indy
07-24-07, 08:30 PM
"Terms of Service" :yuck:

:thumbup:

Also, the words, "clean," "up," and "crew," used in any combination.

Methanolandbrats
07-24-07, 08:38 PM
Who's "we"? You and the French? Funny how most of you forget that every July...:D

Now pass me another croissant and go suck on your latte....:laugh: Gimme a break. American tactics won that. You guys even brought along 30,000 Germans to help you and still got your asses kicked because you fought a guerilla war with linear warfare tactics. That was probably the last time you got all warm and fuzzy with the krauts. :laugh:

TrueBrit
07-25-07, 10:28 AM
Viva la France!

Now are ya gonna answer my question? :)

The answer is yes.

Unless you're in Saaaaaaaaaaf Laaaaaaaaaandan then all bets are off....

Or in the North, or the west country, or Wales, or Scotland or Northern Ireland...but other than that it's pretty uniform.... ;)

eiregosod
07-25-07, 10:31 AM
The answer is yes.

Unless you're in Saaaaaaaaaaf Laaaaaaaaaandan then all bets are off....

Or in the North, or the west country, or Wales, or Scotland or Northern Ireland...but other than that it's pretty uniform.... ;)

That's wht there's elocution lessons. :cool:

Don Quixote
07-30-07, 07:16 PM
Any retail establishment with the word "Planet" in its name, such as Planet Soccer, Planet Honda, etc, etc, etc. :thumdown:

emjaya
07-30-07, 09:35 PM
Stoked. As in "I'm really stoked, man". No one is happy or pleased anymore, their "stoked". Stupid surfer-dude talk. :yuck:

Wabbit
08-02-07, 05:31 PM
I have one, but it's more of an email thing

"+1"

I don't know how many emails or blogs I see with the stoopid "+1" on them. Yesterday, an email was sent to a work alias. Someone replied-all with the typical "Why did I get this". After that, 12 more people replied with "+1", nothing else. What a waste of time and effort. Then everyone on the alias (almost 2000 people) have to delete all those f-ing mails.

Ed_Severson
08-02-07, 06:03 PM
I have one, but it's more of an email thing

"+1"

I don't know how many emails or blogs I see with the stoopid "+1" on them. Yesterday, an email was sent to a work alias. Someone replied-all with the typical "Why did I get this". After that, 12 more people replied with "+1", nothing else. What a waste of time and effort. Then everyone on the alias (almost 2000 people) have to delete all those f-ing mails.

+1! :D

Ed_Severson
08-02-07, 06:05 PM
For serious, that one's huge on Fark. There are a few memes there that are somewhat funny, but the "+1" thing is played out, as is quoting someone you agree with and following it up with "This."

/Newsletter?

BobN
08-02-07, 09:54 PM
Some internet terms that I find annoying:
quaint
youthful
waving
ratings
attendance
partner
$20+ million