PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car Charlie?

Elmo T
07-13-07, 02:07 PM
I don't get it. I don't want shenanigans or mystery writers, just decent reporting and solid opinion pieces.

Champ Car Charlie's "What I'm hearing" (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11874)

TU Homer
07-13-07, 02:26 PM
I say its Gagnon. Silly and not too insightful.

-TU

TravelGal
07-13-07, 08:39 PM
Someone from Los Angeles area if the "405" reference is to be believed. I have a guess but I'm not squealing in case, by some one in a billion chance, it's right.

devilmaster
07-13-07, 08:49 PM
Someone from Los Angeles area if the "405" reference is to be believed. I have a guess but I'm not squealing in case, by some one in a billion chance, it's right.

I believe the 405 reference is from the golden horseshoe area....

Ontario's major highways are numbered like this and are called the 400 series highways. However, the 405 highway is actually near Niagara Falls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400-Series_Highways

Methanolandbrats
07-13-07, 10:34 PM
Champ Car Charlie is an embarrassing gimmick.:yuck:

dando
07-13-07, 10:49 PM
Number of readers who enjoyed this column: 1 (Thanks Mom, I knew I could count on you)

Got that one right. :gomer: :saywhat:

BTW, in addition to RM, it looks like they also dumped Oreo and Phillips, leaving us with Kirby and Stephens. :thumdown: I miss the audio roundtables from last season. :(

-Kevin

STD
07-14-07, 01:34 AM
Champ Car Charlie is an embarrassing gimmick.:yuck:

Amateur hour.
With stuff like this the future doesn't look too bright.
Dazzle the fans with fluff from the lighter side. :gomer:
Who is it that Ok's this stuff.

grungex
07-14-07, 02:14 AM
Needs more ,,,,

Insomniac
07-14-07, 10:10 AM

Why not? CC put it up there, they know who wrote it (one would hope at least). Not that I really care, just saying.

G.
07-14-07, 12:12 PM
Pressdog >> CCCharlie.

TravelGal
07-14-07, 12:42 PM
Why not? CC put it up there, they know who wrote it (one would hope at least). Not that I really care, just saying.

Good point. BUT, confidentiality is my middle name. What crazy parents, eh? They must have known I'd be a travel agent. :\

With the added info from Devilmaster, however, my guess looks quite a bit less likely anyway.

I agree the column was lame but let's face it, think of all the people you know and tell me most of them are not lame when it comes to racing. Go ahead. Lie. This is will appeal to the great and soggy multitudes--and that's how large a net CCWS is throwing these days. It may not be*all* they are throwing but I digress.......

Insomniac
07-14-07, 01:15 PM
I agree the column was lame but let's face it, think of all the people you know and tell me most of them are not lame when it comes to racing. Go ahead. Lie. This is will appeal to the great and soggy multitudes--and that's how large a net CCWS is throwing these days. It may not be*all* they are throwing but I digress.......

It doesn't really matter to me. All I use the CC web site for are results and T&S. I prefer to go to other sources for articles/news. I do the same thing for other sports as well. The worst source for that is the company's web site IMO. No company is going to rip themselves on their own web site.

Hopefully one day these things would be a minor blip on the radar and no one would even care to talk about it. For now, this is what some people have to say about CC.

nrc
07-14-07, 01:24 PM
It doesn't really matter to me. All I use the CC web site for are results and T&S.

That plus photo the photo gallery. Speaking of which, no FOCC of Toronto? What's up with that?

Insomniac
07-14-07, 02:55 PM
That plus photo the photo gallery. Speaking of which, no FOCC of Toronto? What's up with that?

Ohh yes, the photo gallery. Admittedly, while I liked the re-design, I hate that I have to scroll down to see any of the content on a page. The header takes up way too much space.

Even this article, at 1024x768, it doesn't start until you scroll down some.

G.
07-20-07, 01:34 PM
a bit better. A bit.

CCChuck
(http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11891)

ferrarigod
07-20-07, 05:12 PM
i'd prefer Tokyo Rose or Saigon Sally.

RHR_Fan
07-21-07, 10:31 AM

My guess was that for the FOCC contest overall they just wanted one contestant from Canada. But I was just thinking that this Frank D'Angelo guy had MAJOR sponsorship during the Toronto weekend, with Steelback, etc.

BTW - the food and beverage choices sucked in Toronto - thank God for soda machines with H20 and 100-calorie snack packs I brought along.

Back on topic, they had the Miss Steelback Grand Prix of Toronto. Maybe since D'Angelo had so much $$$ in the race Champ Car was like okay, in place of so much sponsorship you have invested we'll let you have Miss Steelback instead of us with a FOCC.

And to the original topic of this post, I read the Friday CCC and parts of it do not scream Gagnon to me. Though I do not know so who knows.

Racing Truth
07-21-07, 01:14 PM
a bit better. A bit.

CCChuck
(http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11891)

True, but that's like saying dying by poisoning is better than dying by electrocution: It's still really bad.

G.
07-21-07, 01:20 PM
True, but that's like saying dying by poisoning is better than dying by electrocution: It's still really bad.Don't harsh my cheerleading, man.

:laugh:

it's still really bad, and that's the Racing Truth.

FTG
08-02-07, 10:56 AM
This is will appeal to the great and soggy multitudes-

It's a pretty simple equation.

Not appealing to the masses = stupid.
Everything Champ Car does trying to appeal to the masses = stupid.

Racing Truth
08-02-07, 03:30 PM

The thing is junk like "Champ Car Charlie" appeals to NO ONE. In the end, junk is still junk, whatever its intent.

TravelGal
08-03-07, 01:35 PM

Ouch. Could be true. I gave up reading it.

The thing is junk like "Champ Car Charlie" appeals to NO ONE. In the end, junk is still junk, whatever its intent.

See above. And you're right. Junk is junk. But it does appeal to lots of people. All you have to do is take a turn around the TV channels to know that.

The larger question is, is it actually better to have the type of people this attracts? That's what we're all saying is a resounding "NO" but it doesn't look like the powers that be agree with us. :\

TKGAngel
08-03-07, 02:14 PM

The idea behind Champ Car Charlie is a good one. Its just not executed well. I like reading the behind-the-scenes pieces, but I like them to be informative and to make sense. Not speculation and "golly-gee-whiz-wasn't-this-fun" pieces.

Shadow a pit crew/team member for the weekend and write about it, do an interview with a fan that's been to his/her first race, write about the San Jose driver's party where the mid-season awards were given out. A profile of what Shorty's been up-to since his wreck. Something. Anything.

Columns filled with insider references and sounding like a letter one writes to one's parents when one is away at summer camp don't cut it.

RHR_Fan
08-03-07, 02:45 PM
Shadow a pit crew/team member for the weekend and write about it, do an interview with a fan that's been to his/her first race, write about the San Jose driver's party where the mid-season awards were given out. A profile of what Shorty's been up-to since his wreck. Something. Anything.

Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner.

~Nicole

FTG
08-03-07, 03:00 PM
Is it actually better to have the type of people this attracts? That's what we're all saying is a resounding "NO" but it doesn't look like the powers that be agree with us. :\

Funny, when I suggested Champ Car shouldn't be trying to attract everyone the entire OC membership disagreed. What happened?

Ziggy
08-03-07, 03:03 PM
There are no "masses" that follow Champcar

it's not even a blip on the average American's radar screen

miatanut
08-03-07, 03:12 PM

:thumbup:

Insomniac
08-03-07, 08:55 PM
The larger question is, is it actually better to have the type of people this attracts? That's what we're all saying is a resounding "NO" but it doesn't look like the powers that be agree with us. :\

I don't think I agree with you. I think CC needs to attract whoever they can. Even though I don't care for it, doesn't mean I don't like CC.

pchall
08-04-07, 09:36 AM
Racing is dead.

We should all spend our weekends playing golf or tennis.

Indy
08-04-07, 09:57 AM
Racing is dead.

I plan on learning a musical instrument.

Rosco
08-04-07, 11:43 AM
Racing is dead.

Golf is getting over 60% of my time now, rcaing 15%

Spicoli
08-04-07, 03:32 PM
Golf is getting over 60% of my time now, rcaing 15%

Hi Rosco. Do you miss smackforum? :D

i thought you were an insider.
:tony:

TU Homer
08-06-07, 01:48 PM
Hi Rosco. Do you miss smackforum? :D
:tony:

Donde esta?