PDA

View Full Version : No Indy USGP in 2008

murph
07-12-07, 11:36 AM
Got the email from IMS............ no contract as Bernie and TG couldn't agree on sanctioning fee........

dando
07-12-07, 11:41 AM
:eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2933630

Hope FTG can make up the co$t of the road course with MotoGP. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-12-07, 11:44 AM
Well, that's just dandy. The fans get ass-raped again. :mad:

EDIT:-----------When can we order tickets for the WGAF 300 IRL Race at IMS?

RichK
07-12-07, 12:19 PM
Looks like I waited one year too long to see the USGP. :irked:

Fio1
07-12-07, 12:47 PM
I think the best place for the USGP is either Miller or Barber. Mr.Miller has the money and I'm sure would love to put Salt Lake City on the map by holding such an event. They just need to add a bunch of grand stands.

nrc
07-12-07, 01:07 PM
Now the gomers can stop pretending to like F1. :laugh:

Chief
07-12-07, 01:12 PM
Got the email from IMS............ no contract as Bernie and TG couldn't agree on sanctioning fee........
Murph? PM me please, lost track of ya and our cohorts from RIS.

Chief
07-12-07, 01:14 PM
Looks like I waited one year too long to see the USGP. :irked:
1970 on up at Watkins Glen were great years for me....

STD
07-12-07, 01:22 PM
1970 on up at Watkins Glen were great years for me....

In the same general timeline here, plus added in a few trips north as well. :thumbup:

Bernie has run out of 'merican gomer to fleece. :rofl:

chop456
07-12-07, 01:23 PM
I think the best place for the USGP is either Miller or Barber. Mr.Miller has the money and I'm sure would love to put Salt Lake City on the map by holding such an event. They just need to add a bunch of grand stands.

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
07-12-07, 02:02 PM
I think the best place for the USGP is either Miller or Barber. Mr.Miller has the money and I'm sure would love to put Salt Lake City on the map by holding such an event. They just need to add a bunch of grand stands. There is not a single restaurant or hotel in the entire state of Utah that anyone associated with Formula One would even consider dining or sleeping at.

eiregosod
07-12-07, 02:12 PM
Now the gomers can stop pretending to like F1. :laugh:

:laugh:

of course the gomers & their inferiority complex were perpetually whining about the lack of respect that F1 showed to the Gomeropolis Speedway. The bikers aren't going to any less "disrespectful". Some free advice to the gomers: you might try & fit in and pretend to be a long time biker, if you do, make sure you spell Wayne Rainey's correctly on your DIY t-shirt, that's Rainey not Rainy.:tony:

Boatdesigner
07-12-07, 02:25 PM
Am I the only one who would like to see a Champ Car race on the F1 course? Maybe on the undercard to the bike race. May be a good way to break the ice with FTG. I know . . . it'll never happen!

DagoFast
07-12-07, 02:42 PM
Yes, you are probably the only one. :thumdown:

And yes, it will never happen. :thumbup:

Insomniac
07-12-07, 02:45 PM
Am I the only one who would like to see a Champ Car race on the F1 course? Maybe on the undercard to the bike race. May be a good way to break the ice with FTG. I know . . . it'll never happen!

Never going to happen. I'd expect the IRL to add a new road course next year. And to continue the watering down of Indy, 2-for-1 tickets.

DagoFast
07-12-07, 03:04 PM
Never going to happen. I'd expect the IRL to add a new road course next year. And to continue the watering down of Indy, 2-for-1 tickets.

Yeah, this is just another master-stroke by toeknee. Now he'll show Bernie how it's done. Pawpaw's speedway is the perfect place to launch* his new F1 wannabe series. Gomers will eat it up but no one outside of Marion county will care.

*Literally and figuratively of course.

STD
07-12-07, 03:46 PM
Some free advice to the gomers: you might try & fit in and pretend to be a long time biker, if you do, make sure you spell Wayne Rainey's correctly on your DIY t-shirt, that's Rainey not Rainy.:tony:

LOL so true, so true.

G.
07-12-07, 04:23 PM

of course the gomers & their inferiority complex were perpetually whining about the lack of respect that F1 showed to the Gomeropolis Speedway. The bikers aren't going to any less "disrespectful". Some free advice to the gomers: you might try & fit in and pretend to be a long time biker, if you do, make sure you spell Wayne Rainey's correctly on your DIY t-shirt, that's Rainey not Rainy.:tony:If the gomers become MOTOGP fans, I think I'll buy the g. a go-kart and give up on all professional racing. They shouldn't be allowed to ruin another great racing series.:irked:

Fio1
07-12-07, 05:00 PM
There is not a single restaurant or hotel in the entire state of Utah that anyone associated with Formula One would even consider dining or sleeping at.

Ya, you have a point there. But, neither is Magny Cours or Silverstone and they have been around for years. Magny Cours no more. Magny Cours doesn't even have enough restaurants to feed 1 single Nascar team in a 15 mile ratious....

I should have taken the 'night' life into consideration. Montreal is full of $500 a night hotels and $200 per person restaurants.
Then Laguna Seca or Infineon (Sears Point) would be the best bet.

mueber
07-12-07, 05:12 PM
I don’t know how I feel about this. I hoped the event brought some international attention to Indianapolis, especially given the amount of attention it has lost in the last ten years. On the other hand if the USGP is held elsewhere, I can go without being a hypocrite. And the loss of a roval is not a great shame.

I can't believe that Honda, Toyota, BMW, and Mercedes like this situation, so perhaps something better is in the offing.

jonovision_man
07-12-07, 05:24 PM
Too bad, it was pretty unique, especially with the banked section. And it was within driving distance. Hope to see a USGP back on the schedule really soon, whether it's IMS or somewhere else.

As for missing seeing F1, see you all in Montreal!!! :D :thumbup: It's more than just a race, it's a great place to vacation, and the city is buzzing Grand Prix week.

jono

JohnHKart
07-12-07, 05:30 PM

Yeah let's go somewhere (UTAH) where we have to buy a bar membership just to get a drink at the hotel bar. F that bloody state. (visited by me Jan, 2007.)

JH

Gnam
07-12-07, 06:07 PM
Did Bernie approach IMS with the idea of the USGP, or did IMS make Bernie an offer? I would expect Bernie to wait for an invite this time around.

Pipe dream: San Francisco and the surrounding area is full of decomissioned military bases that could be developed into semi permanent road courses like Montreal. The city is about to lose its NFL team and had to abandon an Olympic bid, so it's looking for a world class event with some status. As for financing the construction of the track, Bernie's gonna need a bunch of fools with huge gobs of cash. Ladies and Gentlemen allow me to introduce the California State Legislature and their team captain: The Gov-inator. Silicon Valley should be good for some sponsorship along with the area's other industries: banking, oil, shipping, tie-dye shirts. 'Course they'll have to fight that powerful Utard lobby...SF it's nice, but it's no Tooele.

Methanolandbrats
07-12-07, 07:41 PM
There are three decent racetracks on Planet Earth: Suzuka, Spa and Road America. All three should be on the F1 Schedule. Bernard could slum it at the American Club and in Wisconsin we have the drinking angle covered :D

Insomniac
07-12-07, 07:51 PM
Ya, you have a point there. But, neither is Magny Cours or Silverstone and they have been around for years. Magny Cours no more. Magny Cours doesn't even have enough restaurants to feed 1 single Nascar team in a 15 mile ratious....

I should have taken the 'night' life into consideration. Montreal is full of $500 a night hotels and $200 per person restaurants.
Then Laguna Seca or Infineon (Sears Point) would be the best bet.

Silverstone couldn't even sell out with Hamilton leading the championship.

oddlycalm
07-12-07, 09:03 PM
Silverstone couldn't even sell out with Hamilton leading the championship. You think maybe it had something to do with the Tour de France and Wimbledon going on during the same weekend...? :shakehead Great scheduling.. :gomer: Two million plus people lined the roads from London to Canterbury.

oc

RusH
07-12-07, 09:09 PM
Well, a return has not been ruled out in the future. Bernie-the-anti-Christ wants NY or Vegas,...:rofl:
But Indy and Montreal are so close market-wise, a west coast GP makes the most sense. The new Riverside will have the right facilities.....but who knows on the currency.:gomer:

jonovision_man
07-12-07, 09:56 PM
Silverstone couldn't even sell out with Hamilton leading the championship.

Wrong.

http://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/buckingham-news?articleid=3015118

A SELL-OUT crowd filled the grandstands last weekend for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

And that's despite Wimbleton and the Tour de France start in London...

jono

Insomniac
07-12-07, 10:37 PM
You think maybe it had something to do with the Tour de France and Wimbledon going on during the same weekend...? :shakehead Great scheduling.. :gomer: Two million plus people lined the roads from London to Canterbury.

oc

Wrong.

jono

I was going off what Bob Varshs said on the Speed broadcast. If the sport/race is popular, in an area with that many people it should sell out. Were the Wimbledon grand stands not sold out months ago?

Methanolandbrats
07-12-07, 10:54 PM
Well, a return has not been ruled out in the future. Bernie-the-anti-Christ wants NY or Vegas,...:rofl:
But Indy and Montreal are so close market-wise, a west coast GP makes the most sense. The new Riverside will have the right facilities.....but who knows on the currency.:gomer:
No city government in the United States will bend over for Bernard and pay his fees...............not if they are interested in being re-elected.

Fio1
07-12-07, 11:06 PM
Watch;F1 will in Las Vegas 2008! According to Auto Hebdo (French weekly that does not make up stuff like the Italian rags) news out of Magny Cours was that Bernie will be having meetings with officials from Vegas about having a second F1 race in the USA in 2008. But, now the 'second' race maybe the only race....

Fio1
07-12-07, 11:09 PM
Wrong.

jono

Nope! British GP was NOT a sell out! You clearly saw empty grand stands and only 75,000 people were there, not 100+ when Mansell was around. The word sellout is an interesting word, it seems California Speedway IRL races are always sold out, when only 25% of the grand stands are filled...

Methanolandbrats
07-12-07, 11:30 PM
Watch;F1 will in Las Vegas 2008! According to Auto Hebdo (French weekly that does not make up stuff like the Italian rags) news out of Magny Cours was that Bernie will be having meetings with officials from Vegas about having a second F1 race in the USA in 2008. But, now the 'second' race maybe the only race....
Ya, might be, Las Vegas is a business, not a city, so they have the cash, but I will not watch. **** street races, they suck. Seems as if Bernie is changing the model for F1 to urban festivals or sterile tracks with no soul in countries that will pay his fees. Just when you think that Motorsports can't suck any worse...............it does.

Fio1
07-13-07, 03:15 AM
To be honest if you really want to see F1 in the USA and not be 100 feet away from 1, go to a Ferrari Challenge F1 Cliente weekend. It's the only way you will see a modern running F1 up close and personal. I went to the Infeneon weekend and was standing in the garage a foot away from the car, touching it, etc when they were working on it. I was there when they were warming it up in the morning and it is a complicated excersise. A 2006 Ferrari F1 car is an interesting animal, the way the suspension works is amazing. Then turn around and compare it to a 2003 or better a 1997 one and the advance in technology hits you in the face! it's night and day, in only 10 years! You'd have to marry Jean Todt to be able to do that during an F1 weekend. Example, pick up a wheel with a new Bridgestone on it and you think you're picking up a fake rock...it doesn't weight anything you think it's supposed to, even if you imagine it being light, you'll still have to control yourself from not throwing it behind you...

Methanolandbrats
07-13-07, 08:25 AM
To be honest if you really want to see F1 in the USA and not be 100 feet away from 1, go to a Ferrari Challenge F1 Cliente weekend. It's the only way you will see a modern running F1 up close and personal. I went to the Infeneon weekend and was standing in the garage a foot away from the car, touching it, etc when they were working on it. I was there when they were warming it up in the morning and it is a complicated excersise. A 2006 Ferrari F1 car is an interesting animal, the way the suspension works is amazing. Then turn around and compare it to a 2003 or better a 1997 one and the advance in technology hits you in the face! it's night and day, in only 10 years! You'd have to marry Jean Todt to be able to do that during an F1 weekend. Example, pick up a wheel with a new Bridgestone on it and you think you're picking up a fake rock...it doesn't weight anything you think it's supposed to, even if you imagine it being light, you'll still have to control yourself from not throwing it behind you...True, in this area we've got the Brian Redman weekend at Road America for up close and personal stuff.

Andrew Longman
07-13-07, 09:12 AM
USGP at Indy always seemed somehow "off" to me. Going the "wrong" way on the track. The way long straight and banking ill suited to F1 cars. The whining by folks that Indy wasn't being respected. The way many empty seats (even though the crowds were good by f1 standards. The fact that TG was running it.

I don't know were else to run it in the US though. Maybe Bernie can now move on to fleecing the Frances and run it at the Glen.:gomer:

mueber
07-13-07, 11:00 AM
There are three decent racetracks on Planet Earth: Suzuka, Spa and Road America. All three should be on the F1 Schedule. Bernard could slum it at the American Club and in Wisconsin we have the drinking angle covered :D

I would love to see an F-1 race at Road America, but I don't want them put a chicane every 12 feet. Of course it will never happen, but that should be Road America's line: "We'll let you race here if you promise not to emasculate the track.":D

Methanolandbrats
07-13-07, 11:21 AM
I would love to see an F-1 race at Road America, but I don't want them put a chicane every 12 feet. Of course it will never happen, but that should be Road America's line: "We'll let you race here if you promise not to emasculate the track.":D They would also have to build an enormous fence topped with razor wire around the whole thing to keep fans away.:gomer:

Indy
07-13-07, 11:48 AM
conspiracy mode on/: New Siebkens to be a giant Bernie-suite?

:rofl:

jonovision_man
07-13-07, 12:05 PM
Nope! British GP was NOT a sell out! You clearly saw empty grand stands and only 75,000 people were there, not 100+ when Mansell was around. The word sellout is an interesting word, it seems California Speedway IRL races are always sold out, when only 25% of the grand stands are filled...

I guess every news outlet got it wrong. :p

http://news.google.ca/news?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&tab=wn&q=british+gp+sell-out&btnG=Search+News

As for the number of seats, there were severe traffic problems several years ago that lead to the seats being reduced. It was not lack of interest, it was an agreement with the government. In exchange they built some kind of new overpass and connecting roads to the nearby highway.

Bottom line - you couldn't buy a ticket, that's a sell-out.

jono

Methanolandbrats
07-13-07, 12:20 PM
conspiracy mode on/: New Siebkens to be a giant Bernie-suite?

:rofl: He would'nt even take a piss in there.

RichK
07-13-07, 12:23 PM
Aside from the Bernie fee, I think Long Beach and Laguna would make great locations. Both have the glitz, the hotel/restaurant capacity, and both have motor racing history behind them. Laguna has garages now, as well. Both LB & Laguna are far from Montreal.

It would take 8 hours to get out of Laguna Seca on race Sunday, but it would be worth it!

The Bernie fee just sucks. Now that I think about it, though, Red Bull & Yamaha are the ones that pulled off the MotoGP USGP, so perhaps interested megacompanies could pull off a West Coast F1 race. Toyota could do it.

Insomniac
07-13-07, 12:43 PM
Aside from the Bernie fee, I think Long Beach and Laguna would make great locations. Both have the glitz, the hotel/restaurant capacity, and both have motor racing history behind them. Laguna has garages now, as well. Both LB & Laguna are far from Montreal.

It would take 8 hours to get out of Laguna Seca on race Sunday, but it would be worth it!

The Bernie fee just sucks. Now that I think about it, though, Red Bull & Yamaha are the ones that pulled off the MotoGP USGP, so perhaps interested megacompanies could pull off a West Coast F1 race. Toyota could do it.

KK and GF own LB. I'd think it would be pretty hard for F1 to get a race there. But a race around L.A. is probably the only place they can get the kind of people showing up there that they get in Monaco.

RichK
07-13-07, 12:54 PM
KK and GF own LB. I'd think it would be pretty hard for F1 to get a race there. But a race around L.A. is probably the only place they can get the kind of people showing up there that they get in Monaco.

KK & GF could make some cash for their series by brokering an F1 race (through Toyota money) at Long Beach. CC could be a support race.

Wheel-Nut
07-13-07, 01:39 PM

of course the gomers & their inferiority complex were perpetually whining about the lack of respect that F1 showed to the Gomeropolis Speedway. The bikers aren't going to any less "disrespectful". Some free advice to the gomers: you might try & fit in and pretend to be a long time biker, if you do, make sure you spell Wayne Rainey's correctly on your DIY t-shirt, that's Rainey not Rainy.:tony:

MotoGP Forum up and running at gomer central!! :laugh:

Insomniac
07-13-07, 01:59 PM
KK & GF could make some cash for their series by brokering an F1 race (through Toyota money) at Long Beach. CC could be a support race.

But, even if (huge if), Bernie would allow CC run the same weekend, by all reports, the amount of money he wants as a sanctioning fee would probably make it a losing proposition for KK and GF. It would probably take a city to step up and hope the economic benefit could pay for that sanctioning fee.

RichK
07-13-07, 02:14 PM
But, even if (huge if), Bernie would allow CC run the same weekend, by all reports, the amount of money he wants as a sanctioning fee would probably make it a losing proposition for KK and GF. It would probably take a city to step up and hope the economic benefit could pay for that sanctioning fee.

Yeah, that's why I'm saying that they broker the deal through Toyota (for instance). Toyota wants big exposure in their number 1 market, they are willing to pay Bernie's fee for an F1 race in Long Beach, they "pay off" KK/GF as well to license the LBGP as an F1 headliner race. Everyone makes money. RichK is happy that a big time auto race is in California.

Insomniac
07-13-07, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm saying that they broker the deal through Toyota (for instance). Toyota wants big exposure in their number 1 market, they are willing to pay Bernie's fee for an F1 race in Long Beach, they "pay off" KK/GF as well to license the LBGP as an F1 headliner race. Everyone makes money. RichK is happy that a big time auto race is in California.

I see, I didn't pick up on Toyota footing the bill part in your original post. How much would ChampCar lose by giving up Long Beach? They'd get some good money (maybe use it to improve the purse sizes), but at what cost?

RichK
07-13-07, 02:44 PM
I see, I didn't pick up on Toyota footing the bill part in your original post. How much would ChampCar lose by giving up Long Beach? They'd get some good money (maybe use it to improve the purse sizes), but at what cost?

I don't know what Champcar would lose by not being the headliner, other than intangibles like not being the top dog for the weekend. Their sponsors would get the same or more exposure (still on TV). There would be more fans there, it would be a worldwide event, Red Bull would be ecstatic, the hotels could charge F1 rates.

RacinM3
07-14-07, 02:01 AM

For this to make sense first Toyota has to build a real F1 car.