View Full Version : Da$h for Ca$h Atlantics in PHNX

G.
07-11-07, 01:44 PM
Atlantics running in Phoenix.

West Coast fans get added surprise at Phoenix
Racing series ATLANTIC
Date 2007-07-10

By Nancy Knapp Schilke - Motorsport.com

Champ Car Atlantic Championship series added a nice surprise for their loyal fans at the Grand Prix of Arizona in early December. The series wraps up their 2007 season at Road America on August 12th. When the 11th race of the season ends in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, a new Atlantic champion will be crowned. The new champion and his fellow Atlantic racers will have one final challenge, nearly three and one-half months after their final battle.

"Adding Phoenix as a bonus event to the 2007 Champ Car Atlantic Championship is a tremendous opportunity for our series and I must thank Grand Prix Arizona and the Champ Car World Series for extending the invitation to us," said Champ Car Atlantic Managing Director Vicki O'Connor.

Thus, the decision was made to add to the fun for the drivers, teams and spectators with the Atlantic series announcement today that a special non-points race on the streets of Phoenix. The event will be a timed race with 50 minutes of a tight-contest even if for non-points. What it does include is a $100,000 "dash for cash" purse.

"While the race will not count toward the championship, I believe the event will be a lot of fun for our drivers, teams and sponsors and will be just as hotly-contested as the 12 points-paying events on our schedule. Our teams have been extremely supportive of this decision to extend our season and our series partners are also thrilled with the opportunity to participate in the inaugural Grand Prix Arizona weekend with the Dash in the Desert."

linkaro
(http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=260721&FS=)

Interesting.

extramundane
07-11-07, 01:48 PM
Hawaii was busy this time?

devilmaster
07-11-07, 02:08 PM
well, its better than just giving teams money I suppose. ;)

You want more cars/teams in your series, you have to make it worth their while.

Now they have to strengthen purses both series full time.

nrc
07-11-07, 07:03 PM
I think this is more about needing to add a support race for Phoenix but doing the right thing by not throwing in an extra points race long after the season was supposed to wrap.

diamond dave
07-13-07, 09:08 PM
more racing = more gooder:gomer:

NismoZ
07-14-07, 09:52 AM
Winter "testing." It's a good thing. The 2 million dollar kid gets a farewell tour, too!:)

NismoZ
08-01-07, 11:16 AM
DaMatta said recently he is OK to begin driving again in prep for '08. Says he'll start in karts and reacted favorably when it was suggested he run in the non-points Atlantic event in Phoenix this December. That'd be an interesting move.