PDA

View Full Version : Why do race series' work against each other?

Fio1
07-08-07, 05:07 PM
Considering that there aren't many race fans around, you'd think they try and work together not against each other. Noting to do with IRL. I'm talking about F1 vs CCWS not Earl.

First, why does CCWS/ESPN go head to head against F1 on Fox? Do they really think people will watch Bourdais whinning & Tracy crashing vs a 4 way battle for the World Championship? I'm sorry but most CCWS fans I know like F1 as well, especially this season's F1 season.

Second, why would Espn say who won the British GP 10 minutes into their coverage; p*ssing off anyone who is watching their coverage live and Tivoing the F1 race on Fox? What is the point of that? I watched the f1 race and Tivoed the CCWS race and was blown away that the commentator would say congrats to the winner of the British GP with a big graphic listing the winner on screen. Why would you do that? :shakehead :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
07-08-07, 05:26 PM
Can't explain the head to head part, but I learned a long time ago to tape stuff on ESPN and watch network stuff live. That's because ESPN always gives away the score of every other sporting event on Earth during their broadcasts.

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-07, 06:19 PM
I liked the ad for the IRL race that they aired during the Champ Car broadcast. :shakehead

Dr. Corkski
07-08-07, 06:21 PM
Second, why would Espn say who won the British GP 10 minutes into their coverage; p*ssing off anyone who is watching their coverage live and Tivoing the F1 race on Fox? What is the point of that? I watched the f1 race and Tivoed the CCWS race and was blown away that the commentator would say congrats to the winner of the British GP with a big graphic listing the winner on screen. Why would you do that? :shakehead :thumdown:They did it so people would stay on ESPN and not flip to FOX, but that would only work when you can put on a race half as good as the one on FOX.

nrc
07-08-07, 06:47 PM
I enjoyed the Champ car race. Don't care about and wouldn't watch the race on FOX anyway. What the heck do you expect them to do about the head-to-head. They schedule the race when it works for the promotor and the broadcasting network.

Methanolandbrats
07-08-07, 08:11 PM
I liked the ad for the IRL race that they aired during the Champ Car broadcast. :shakehead They also air Champ Car ads during IRL races...............same network...........they tend self-promote.

Sean O'Gorman
07-08-07, 08:20 PM
They also air Champ Car ads during IRL races...............same network...........they tend self-promote.

I'll take your word for it, you must be the one watching IRL races, not me. ;)

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:40 PM
Considering that there aren't many race fans around, you'd think they try and work together not against each other. Noting to do with IRL. I'm talking about F1 vs CCWS not Earl.

First, why does CCWS/ESPN go head to head against F1 on Fox? Do they really think people will watch Bourdais whinning & Tracy crashing vs a 4 way battle for the World Championship? I'm sorry but most CCWS fans I know like F1 as well, especially this season's F1 season.

Second, why would Espn say who won the British GP 10 minutes into their coverage; p*ssing off anyone who is watching their coverage live and Tivoing the F1 race on Fox? What is the point of that? I watched the f1 race and Tivoed the CCWS race and was blown away that the commentator would say congrats to the winner of the British GP with a big graphic listing the winner on screen. Why would you do that? :shakehead :thumdown:

They aren't interested in helping each other in any way. Usually when you're the top dog, you want to stay there.

On the head-to-head, the CC race was live, and the F1 race was tape delayed. ESPN would have to also tape delay to avoid F1, but they also had an IRL race on ABC later.

It was very amateurish of ChampCar to spoil the F1 race.

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:41 PM
I liked the ad for the IRL race that they aired during the Champ Car broadcast. :shakehead

Anyone know if they promote the next CC race on the IRL telecasts?

Edit--M&B says they do. I was hoping that was the case.

Methanolandbrats
07-08-07, 09:11 PM
I'll take your word for it, you must be the one watching IRL races, not me. ;) I watched one a few weeks back, won't happen again. :puke::yuck:

oddlycalm
07-08-07, 09:36 PM
Can't explain the head to head part, but I learned a long time ago to tape stuff on ESPN and watch network stuff live. That's because ESPN always gives away the score of every other sporting event on Earth during their broadcasts. That's good advice when it comes to ESPN.

IIRC the Fox tape delay broadcasts are over so a CC/F1 schedule conflict probably won't happen again this season since SPEED broadcasts the races live.

oc

Fio1
07-09-07, 01:01 AM

IK feel sorry for the fans who watched the ccws race and taped the f1 race.

JohnHKart
07-09-07, 02:25 AM

winner on screen. Why would you do that? :shakehead :thumdown:

Like somebody else said on here, you HAVE to watch these races in order or you're screwed. I fell asleep during Daytona, so I finished it off when I woke up, at 12, then put in the tape of the Fox F1 show, which was recorded at the venue at 5AM PST. Then, later put on the Champ Car, then during the week I will watch IRL (which I wouldn't normally watch but will on a road course) then NHRA. NHRA will be last, because I know the bottom line will show every winner of the other races I already watched. And once again, the F1 effect ruined the champ car race for me, they seem so slow, even before the rain.

John

rosawendel
07-09-07, 08:36 AM
a note of observation: ALMS at Lime Rock was on CBS at the same time also (I had to enlist the second DVR to record that one). Just throwing that out there.

I wonder what the ratings split was between the three...

mueber
07-09-07, 11:58 AM
They aren't interested in helping each other in any way. Usually when you're the top dog, you want to stay there.

On the head-to-head, the CC race was live, and the F1 race was tape delayed. ESPN would have to also tape delay to avoid F1, but they also had an IRL race on ABC later.

No kidding. It’s as if ChampCar wants to alienate both of the fans they have left, very poor, very poor.

pferrf1
07-09-07, 01:29 PM
No kidding. It’s as if ChampCar wants to alienate both of the fans they have left, very poor, very poor.

And why would Champ Car be responsible for putting up the F1 result on screen? Perhaps it was ESPN's call?

jonovision_man
07-09-07, 02:41 PM
I've seen worse... one time TSN put up the results of a CART race in the middle of their own tape-delayed coverage!

jono

Accipiter
07-09-07, 02:50 PM

No kidding. That put me in a bad mood the rest of the day.

Insomniac
07-09-07, 04:07 PM
And why would Champ Car be responsible for putting up the F1 result on screen? Perhaps it was ESPN's call?

Because in an interview, Steve Johnson said they run the production.

Insomniac
07-09-07, 04:08 PM
I've seen worse... one time TSN put up the results of a CART race in the middle of their own tape-delayed coverage!

jono

ESPN did that a couple times I think too.

mueber
07-09-07, 04:55 PM

It was just plain rude and suggests that they haven't a clue as to who their fans are.

pferrf1
07-09-07, 06:03 PM

That doesn't mean they direct the full to air product and are in control of 100% of what you see on the screen. Think they choose to run the IRL and other sports promos? For the NBC rounds this year, CCWS did the production but NBC insisted on their own director and announcers.

pferrf1
07-09-07, 06:08 PM
The F1 race had already been over for over three hours. Its not ESPN's, ABC's or Champ Cars responisibility to worry about giving you spoiler results.

I guess they might have figured that real F1 fans would already know the results.

Dr. Corkski
07-09-07, 06:11 PM
That doesn't mean they direct the full to air product and are in control of 100% of what you see on the screen. Think they choose to run the IRL and other sports promos? For the NBC rounds this year, CCWS did the production but NBC insisted on their own director and announcers.I am sure Mickey Mouse was in the broadcast booth and threatening to club a baby seal unless Rick Benjamin went out of his way to spoil the F1 race.

mueber
07-09-07, 06:35 PM
I am sure Mickey Mouse was in the broadcast booth and threatening to club a baby seal unless Rick Benjamin went out of his way to spoil the F1 race.

Bingo:flame:

There was no excuse for that. But rest assured, next year, in the same situation, I'll watch the F-1 race and record the ChampCar race to make sure it doesn't happen again, providing I care about the ChampCar race.

extramundane
07-09-07, 06:49 PM
It...suggests that they haven't a clue...

Couldn't have said it better m'self.

nrc
07-09-07, 07:03 PM
I am sure Mickey Mouse was in the broadcast booth and threatening to club a baby seal unless Rick Benjamin went out of his way to spoil the F1 race.

It was clearly a production decision. There was a graphic with the winner's name already prepared. I don't know if Mickey was personally involved, but I believe that he had prior knowledge.

Insomniac
07-09-07, 08:10 PM
The F1 race had already been over for over three hours. Its not ESPN's, ABC's or Champ Cars responisibility to worry about giving you spoiler results.

I guess they might have figured that real F1 fans would already know the results.

You are right, it's not their responsibility to avoid spoiling the results of a race. BUT, they deliberately made a decision to do it. Why didn't they congratulate the winner for any previous race during other broadcasts?

So real F1 fans would do what exactly? Watch live T&S? Check the F1 site after it finished?

Insomniac
07-09-07, 08:15 PM
That doesn't mean they direct the full to air product and are in control of 100% of what you see on the screen. Think they choose to run the IRL and other sports promos? For the NBC rounds this year, CCWS did the production but NBC insisted on their own director and announcers.

Cross-Promoting is one thing. The announcers are not ESPN employees. If I saved the recording, I could look and see who the production group was. I doubt it was ESPN. Steve Johnson said ChampCar does the graphics. They clearly have a fair amount of control over their broadcast. I'd also hope that if ESPN had control of it all, they'd hire a director who wouldn't miss a fair amount of on track action.

nissan gtp
07-09-07, 08:38 PM
You are right, it's not their responsibility to avoid spoiling the results of a race. BUT, they deliberately made a decision to do it. Why didn't they congratulate the winner for any previous race during other broadcasts?

So real F1 fans would do what exactly? Watch live T&S? Check the F1 site after it finished?

we watch the F1 broadcast, then watch champ car on tivo/tape/not at all, because we know what espnABC will spill the F1 results :thumdown:

I'm surprised they only did it once.

Insomniac
07-10-07, 08:53 AM
we watch the F1 broadcast, then watch champ car on tivo/tape/not at all, because we know what espnABC will spill the F1 results :thumdown:

I'm surprised they only did it once.

In retrospect, that was the better way to do it, but since they were airing at the same time, I chose to watch the live event, then the tape delayed one. That was my reasoning and I was also prepared to avoid the ticker if needed.

Elmo T
07-10-07, 09:03 AM
I assume Champcar handles the race graphics, ESPN does the scroll.

I was conflicted. I wanted to watch at least one "live" event (F1 was tape delay), but I knew the scroll would get me. :(

pchall
07-10-07, 10:30 AM
Whaaa! :shakehead

Complaining about "spoilers" on TV and in threads in the most stupid whine imaginable in my book. Just arrange your viewing and reading sensibly and get on with it.

Insomniac
07-10-07, 12:01 PM
Whaaa! :shakehead

Complaining about "spoilers" on TV and in threads in the most stupid whine imaginable in my book. Just arrange your viewing and reading sensibly and get on with it.

Some of us thought we had.

Gnam
07-10-07, 03:43 PM
Looks like MLB wacked ESPN's nose over a similar incident. :laugh:

courtesy San Francisco Chronicle link (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/07/09/SPGQ3QT9CD1.DTL)
ESPN booted: ESPN won't be able to allowed to air its "Baseball Tonight" show live from the All-Star Game.

Major League Baseball limited ESPN's access this week after the cable network broke an embargo and announced the All-Star rosters before the end of a selection show on TBS on July 1.

Fox is carrying the game, but ESPN traditionally has moved its "Baseball Tonight" crew from the studio in Bristol, Conn., to the site of the game. Karl Ravech, Steve Phillips and John Kruk instead will do the show this year from the studio. ESPN does have reporters on site who will file reports but will be treated like all other non-rightsholders.

ESPN will be allowed to have a one-hour show from the ballpark before the network shows the Home Run Derby.

Winston Wolfe
07-10-07, 05:38 PM
Just like when they lost the NASCAR program deal back in the day and they used to have RPM2night broadcast from the parking lot, or near the helicopter pads at some of the tracks and their "Pit reporters" would try and conduct interviews \ get the skinny from the drivers as they headed to their waiting choppers.... totally bush league stuff from the Mouse|ABC giving out the F1 results when they HAVE GOT TO KNOW that the many of the same people watch F1 who watch ChampCar\CCWS.....
FOX Soccer Channel will at least tell you to "look away from your TV, or turn down the volume" if you dont want to know the results of the X vs. Y match we'll broadcast later...
Once again the broadcast partner gives OW fans in the US the "sand in the vasoline" treatment :thumdown:

Insomniac
07-10-07, 08:44 PM
So it literally was a Mickey Mouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_mouse#Pejorative_use_of_Mickey.27s_name) move by ChampCar. :)