PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone 2007

Insomniac
07-07-07, 10:58 AM
Did Alonso and Massa try and get a faster lap at the end? Were the tires not quite as good despite the lower fuel load to get a faster lap? No one mentioned it on the broadcast after noting they had one more lap.

Andrew Longman
07-07-07, 11:19 AM
I think Manchett said they wanted to use that lap as their slow fuel saving in lap, though I'm not quite sure I understand that part of the strategy.

Accipiter
07-07-07, 11:22 AM
I'm sure they both did what Kimi did in France. Took another lap at fuel economy speed, then took a cool down lap after that so they would get credited with extra fuel.

If Alonso can get 2nd off the start, it could work out for him for the win. For Massa it will pretty much only get him around Kimi if that first scenario works out.

Insomniac
07-07-07, 01:06 PM
I think Manchett said they wanted to use that lap as their slow fuel saving in lap, though I'm not quite sure I understand that part of the strategy.

At first, I thought Massa was right when talking to Peter Windsor, but after thinking about it, here's what I get.

With the removal of the 107% rule, they can run as slowly as they like. The fuel credit is based on the number of laps you run only. So, if you can burn less fuel on a "qualifying" lap than they put in as a fuel credit, you could conceivably end up with more fuel than when you started Q3 for the race. By saving it for the very end, they essentially will get two very slow laps (what would normally be hot and the in-lap). I guess the amount of fuel you can save is enough to get one more lap. This really only works at the very end of the session, otherwise you're just wasting time.

I just find it odd that you'd sacrifice a shot a pole for an extra lap of fuel. Running in the front to start would seem to be better than getting one extra lap.

Insomniac
07-07-07, 01:08 PM
Ohhh, and I guess they also feel it's an advantage to be in second and get the extra couple laps to win the race. Kind of sad.

cameraman
07-07-07, 01:39 PM
More like they were not expecting Kimi to beat the clock by a second. They knew Massa was faster and Kimi wasn't going to get the pole with even with the extra lap but since he had it and it fit perfectly into his race plan, they used it to their advantage so he could win the race.

There is nothing sad about being smart.

Insomniac
07-07-07, 02:18 PM
More like they were not expecting Kimi to beat the clock by a second. They knew Massa was faster and Kimi wasn't going to get the pole with even with the extra lap but since he had it and it fit perfectly into his race plan, they used it to their advantage so he could win the race.

There is nothing sad about being smart.

Well, when your goal isn't to be the fastest in qualifying, but rather to drive real slow and get some extra fuel, it's sad. I know the rules cause this, but now, possibly 3 drivers chose to take a slow lap for fuel instead of trying to move up the starting grid.

emjaya
07-08-07, 08:23 AM
AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH crap. :mad:

I'm going to bed. :cry: :gomer:

Insomniac
07-08-07, 03:56 PM
AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH crap. :mad:

I'm going to bed. :cry: :gomer:

Hmmm, trying to figure out what had you steaming. I was expecting someone to get taken out.

Dr. Corkski
07-08-07, 06:09 PM
IBKimiMustBeCheating

emjaya
07-08-07, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, trying to figure out what had you steaming. I was expecting someone to get taken out.

That would've been Lap 10: Webber in pits with problems - car being trolleyed into garage. :shakehead

Hydraulics again. :rolleyes:

opinionated ow
07-08-07, 10:57 PM
liuzzi was pathetic again. scott speed had smashed him until rosberg iirc tried to go inside him

Tony George
07-09-07, 12:13 AM
Nice 'Schumacher chop' by Hamilton on the start. Where is the outrage??? :gomer:

opinionated ow
07-09-07, 12:59 AM
Nice 'Schumacher chop' by Hamilton on the start. Where is the outrage??? :gomer:

didn't you hear? james allen called it fair :gomer: :tony: :rofl:

indyfan31
07-09-07, 01:46 AM
I'm still holding my breath......:eek:

devilmaster
07-09-07, 03:37 AM

If the stewards at Silverstone even hinted that it was under review, there would have been a riot. :rofl: which would have been even funnier with the mini shovefest at the Glen...

Methanolandbrats
07-09-07, 07:55 AM
Nice 'Schumacher chop' by Hamilton on the start. Where is the outrage??? :gomer: Yes, Hamilton is nothing but a round headed, chinless, chopping bastard. :) Of course it's different this time because he's not from Germany.

TrueBrit
07-09-07, 10:48 AM

Why would there be any outrage? He changed his line once to defend his position (legal) and then moved back to take his normal line through Copse (legal). He is also British (legal) and not German (Not Legal) and therefore he is beyond reproach......

Methanolandbrats
07-09-07, 10:54 AM
Why would there be any outrage? He changed his line once to defend his position (legal) and then moved back to take his normal line through Copse (legal). He is also British (legal) and not German (Not Legal) and therefore he is beyond reproach......I was under the impression changing lines to defend was illegal from 1991 to 2006, when did the FIA change that rule :confused:

jonovision_man
07-09-07, 11:03 AM
Why would there be any outrage? He changed his line once to defend his position (legal) and then moved back to take his normal line through Copse (legal).

I'm not at all convinced those are both legal... once he commited to the inside line, he shouldn't then be able to move a second time to take the outside line instead, that's two moves.

He is also British (legal) and not German (Not Legal) and therefore he is beyond reproach......

Now THAT I'm convinced of. :D

jono

JLMannin
07-09-07, 11:08 AM
I was under the impression changing lines to defend was illegal from 1991 to 2006, when did the FIA change that rule :confused:

As I understand it, you are allowed one move to defend the position - it's the second, third, and so on moves that are illegal.

Methanolandbrats
07-09-07, 11:14 AM
As I understand it, you are allowed one move to defend the position - it's the second, third, and so on moves that are illegal. That is correct, but I am trying to obtain a British Legal Opinion. :)

TrueBrit
07-09-07, 12:01 PM
That is correct, but I am trying to obtain a British Legal Opinion. :)

Lewis Hamilton is free to defend his position on the track as vigourously as he chooses and any resemblance to any such action by a certain pointy-chinned, dirty, cheating, chopping bastard from the recent past is merely coincedence. It also does nothing to negate the fact that when similar actions were undertaken by the aforementioned pointy-chinned, dirty, cheating, chopping bastard they were illegal and very naughty, and when executed to perfection by Lewis Hamilton they are simply part of his brilliant tactical driving skills and would, if there were any REAL justuce in the world, merit him simply being handed the WDC right now.

Methanolandbrats
07-09-07, 12:43 PM
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/judges/uk5.jpg

Tony George
07-09-07, 01:16 PM
Why would there be any outrage? He changed his line once to defend his position (legal) and then moved back to take his normal line through Copse (legal). He is also British (legal) and not German (Not Legal) and therefore he is beyond reproach......

:D :rofl: :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
07-09-07, 06:13 PM
Lewis Hamilton is free to defend his position on the track as vigourously as he chooses and any resemblance to any such action by a certain pointy-chinned, dirty, cheating, chopping bastard from the recent past is merely coincedence. It also does nothing to negate the fact that when similar actions were undertaken by the aforementioned pointy-chinned, dirty, cheating, chopping bastard they were illegal and very naughty, and when executed to perfection by Lewis Hamilton they are simply part of his brilliant tactical driving skills and would, if there were any REAL justuce in the world, merit him simply being handed the WDC right now.:laugh: