PDA

View Full Version : Toronto 2007

Insomniac
07-06-07, 03:23 PM
Oriel was so close!

Don Quixote
07-06-07, 04:04 PM
Practice time is only about 0.6 seconds off of last year's qually.

jonovision_man
07-06-07, 04:18 PM
This is torture... I can see the CNE grounds from my office... hear the cars...

... but can't go this year. :( Just had a new baby, if I took off for a race my wife would make quite sure I would be unable to father any future children! ;)

jono

dando
07-06-07, 04:42 PM
if I took off for a race my wife would make quite sure I would be unable to father any future children! ;)

jono

Dude, do you need more incentive than that to go to the race?!? :gomer: :D ;)

-Kevin

TrueBrit
07-06-07, 04:53 PM
This is torture... I can see the CNE grounds from my office... hear the cars...

... but can't go this year. :( Just had a new baby, if I took off for a race my wife would make quite sure I would be unable to father any future children! ;)

jono

..and that's a bad thing HOW exactly? Just think of all the money you'll save...:D

jonovision_man
07-06-07, 06:05 PM
..and that's a bad thing HOW exactly? Just think of all the money you'll save...:D

OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough... she would rip off my <ahem> equipment. :p

jono

Methanolandbrats
07-06-07, 06:28 PM
OK, maybe I wasn't clear enough... she would rip off my <ahem> equipment. :p

jonoDoes'nt sound like there is anything to rip off :D

nissan gtp
07-06-07, 06:44 PM
Does'nt sound like there is anything to rip off :D

:rofl: :thumbup:

Insomniac
07-06-07, 06:46 PM

*snicker*

grungex
07-06-07, 08:04 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

jonovision_man
07-06-07, 08:15 PM

I asked for that, didn't I? :)

In other castration news, Bourdais P1... :D

jono

jonovision_man
07-07-07, 04:16 PM
SB on pole.

Doornbos 12th :saywhat: Seems like this track rewards previous experience more than the others, Junky is up at the front.

jono

OW
07-08-07, 02:55 PM
It was a difficult race ...but Wilson taking out Dalziel was WORSE than Dornbos hitting Seabass

TrueBrit
07-08-07, 02:59 PM
Wow..very few professional drivers showed up today apparently...That was embarassing...

Wilson :thumdown:

Doorknob :thumdown:

G.
07-08-07, 03:40 PM
Wow..very few professional drivers showed up today apparently...That was embarassing...

Doorknob :thumdown:Cotman needs to take a bag-of-doorknobs to those two.:shakehead Beat 'em good!

Insomniac
07-08-07, 03:54 PM
Wow, I thought others would be mad about them spoiling the F1 race. Amateur hour continues on and off the track. ChampCar is awesome! :shakehead

Insomniac
07-08-07, 03:55 PM

Doorknob :thumdown:

Pagenaud indirectly took out almost half the field!

indyfan31
07-08-07, 04:34 PM
From the post race interview, it looks like Bourdais got the shut up and drive speech. :)

Ruben Barrios
07-08-07, 04:35 PM
Oh no, that was PT all the way... he continued driving full speed ahead with a large piece of debris under his car... The front wing dislodged and he got distracted... Amateur driving... But I'm sure all the PT appologists will disagree...

Grunschev
07-08-07, 04:36 PM
Wow, I thought others would be mad about them spoiling the F1 race. Amateur hour continues on and off the track. ChampCar is awesome! :shakehead

Well, I'm not too happy about it. It was pretty low of them to announce that. I guess from now on, given the choice of which to watch and which to tape, it's a no brainer. Particularly given the TV crew's ability to miss damn near everything important on-track event. Nothing like hearing the announcing crew yell "What happened?" in unison. Don't try this at home, kids, they're professionals. That goes for the drivers too.

Igor

Methanolandbrats
07-08-07, 04:50 PM
Aw hell, it was'nt that bad. I hate those concrete lined poop chute tracks as much as anyone, but that was fun to watch. Some nice driving in the wet, sure Doorknobs outbraked himself and Wilson tried to harpoon Frenchy twice, but there was a lot of good stuff too.

Boatdesigner
07-08-07, 05:35 PM
I was bouncing back and forth between the two races and just caught a split second of the F1 winners announcement, I was pretty annoyed! I don't know why Fox has to put the F1 race on against CCWS, but it sure does suck for those of us who can't tape one and watch the other at the same time.:shakehead

As for the crash fest, I think you almost have to take stupid chances in order to pass anyone in the concrete canyons. JW sliding wide into RD looked like one of those racin' deals to me, being that the track was wet. RD outbreaking himself into SB was a screw-up, but I wasn't all that upset to see SB out of the race.:D Nothing against him, but I like seeing some other people win for a change!

I think they should put sprinklers around every track. If it gets too boring, turn on the water! Much better than a "debris" yellow!

TKGAngel
07-08-07, 05:44 PM
Oh no, that was PT all the way... he continued driving full speed ahead with a large piece of debris under his car...

I don't think PT knew he had the debris under the car until it was too late. Jon said at one point that PT couldn't see it.

Great drive today by Dalziel. Shame that his podium finish was taken from him by a stupid move by Wilson.

Dr. Corkski
07-08-07, 06:08 PM
Wow, I thought others would be mad about them spoiling the F1 race. Amateur hour continues on and off the track. ChampCar is awesome! :shakeheadSaw that. Went ahead and watched the F1 race anyways, and it was still more professional and entertaining than any Champ Car race this year. :laugh:

Ruben Barrios
07-08-07, 06:13 PM
Jon said at one point that PT couldn't see it.

Jon is full of it...

while the front wing was under Tracy's car (when I agree he couldn't see it) he continued with no problems, as soon as the front wing dislodged he got distracted... If you replay you clearly see the wheels truning as Tracy turns... he jst turned to late...

nrc
07-08-07, 06:49 PM
Saw that. Went ahead and watched the F1 race anyways, and it was still more professional and entertaining than any Champ Car race this year. :laugh:

Based on experience I'm gonna have to just go ahead and disregard your opinion on that.

Methanolandbrats
07-08-07, 08:21 PM
Saw that. Went ahead and watched the F1 race anyways, and it was still more professional and entertaining than any Champ Car race this year. :laugh: A series of pit stops I will remember for the rest of my life :laugh:

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:27 PM
Oh no, that was PT all the way... he continued driving full speed ahead with a large piece of debris under his car... The front wing dislodged and he got distracted... Amateur driving... But I'm sure all the PT appologists will disagree...

Jon made it seem like given what the driver can see, PT wouldn't know the wing was there. If that's the case, I wonder why FCR didn't radio him. Although, I don't recall how much time there was, I'd guess I saw it for about 5s on TV.

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:28 PM
Well, I'm not too happy about it. It was pretty low of them to announce that. I guess from now on, given the choice of which to watch and which to tape, it's a no brainer. Particularly given the TV crew's ability to miss damn near everything important on-track event. Nothing like hearing the announcing crew yell "What happened?" in unison. Don't try this at home, kids, they're professionals. That goes for the drivers too.

Igor

I'm in the same boat. I will watch CC second now.

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:29 PM
Aw hell, it was'nt that bad. I hate those concrete lined poop chute tracks as much as anyone, but that was fun to watch. Some nice driving in the wet, sure Doorknobs outbraked himself and Wilson tried to harpoon Frenchy twice, but there was a lot of good stuff too.

Did you mean there was a lot of other good stuff too? ;)

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:33 PM
Saw that. Went ahead and watched the F1 race anyways, and it was still more professional and entertaining than any Champ Car race this year. :laugh:

I still watched it. But I did successfully avoid spoilers up to that point. Of course last week, ESPN had the result on the ticker, but the F1 race started an hour earlier so I finished it first.

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:35 PM
Jon is full of it...

while the front wing was under Tracy's car (when I agree he couldn't see it) he continued with no problems, as soon as the front wing dislodged he got distracted... If you replay you clearly see the wheels truning as Tracy turns... he jst turned to late...

So the wing had nothing to do with it? He got distracted and stuffed it in the wall?

grungex
07-08-07, 08:51 PM
From the post race interview, it looks like Bourdais got the shut up and drive speech. :)

I'll bet he got much more than just a speech. No caviar for that boy for awhile...

jonovision_man
07-08-07, 09:07 PM
It was a difficult race ...but Wilson taking out Dalziel was WORSE than Dornbos hitting Seabass

Wilson had the inside line, he just slipped maybe a few inches and put Danziel out... I don't think that was bad at all, a legit shot.

Doornbos was completely on crack, not sure what that was.

Great & entertaining race. Wilson proved again he's good in the rain (other than his little bump), Bourdais proved again he struggles like mad.

It should rain every race!!! :) Tremblant and Toronto were both awesome, hope it pours in Edmonton. :D

jono

Insomniac
07-08-07, 09:26 PM
What was Dan Clarke and his team thinking? It may dry out eventually? What was there, less than 30 minutes left?

Bourdais learned fast not to whine after the boos last week.

FTG
07-08-07, 09:52 PM
A series of pit stops I will remember for the rest of my life :laugh:

But they were very professional and very expensive pit stops.

oddlycalm
07-08-07, 09:59 PM
From the post race interview, it looks like Bourdais got the shut up and drive speech. :) Good advice that.

So I'm thinking this new CCWS strategy of uncorking the champagne before the race and passing a couple magnums around in the drivers meeting makes for quite a race....:thumbup: :gomer:

oc

KLang
07-09-07, 06:56 AM
I enjoyed the race. A little rain always shakes things up a bit. :)

I feel bad for Dalziel and PCM. Don't know what Wilson was thinking.

Insomniac
07-09-07, 07:16 AM
I enjoyed the race. A little rain always shakes things up a bit. :)

I feel bad for Dalziel and PCM. Don't know what Wilson was thinking.

He saw the opening and had to take it would be my guess.

jonovision_man
07-09-07, 08:00 AM
Ouch. :thumdown:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/AutoRacing/article/233766

Pretty scathing... I mean there's reality but then there's taking it way too far, considering it was raining it's completely expected that scalpers would have a tough time. The grandstands looked pretty bloody full given the weather.

jono

Methanolandbrats
07-09-07, 08:19 AM
Just another stick and ball dumbass regurgitating things he read. Moron does'nt even know how ticket brokers work. For an event that is not sold out the "scalpers" buy extra tickets from companies that have free blocks of tickets and don't need them all. They buy them for well under face and expect to sell them under face.:shakehead

jonovision_man
07-09-07, 08:40 AM
Just another stick and ball dumbass regurgitating things he read. Moron does'nt even know how ticket brokers work. For an event that is not sold out the "scalpers" buy extra tickets from companies that have free blocks of tickets and don't need them all. They buy them for well under face and expect to sell them under face.:shakehead

That's pretty clearly the case, the race wasn't sold out so there's no way they could expect to sell them above face value.

They also do this thing where on the way out on Saturday they ask if anyone is selling their Sunday race ticket. They buy them for next to nothing and sell them cheap the next day.

jono

nrc
07-09-07, 08:58 AM
Seabass is the only worthwhile driver but he was pretty soundly outrun by some guy named Power. :shakehead

Jono, you could afford to trim that quote down a little.

KLang
07-09-07, 09:40 AM
He saw the opening and had to take it would be my guess.

Not much of an opening as it turned out. I suppose many drivers might have tried it as well. Wilson just seemed kinda sloppy overall yesterday.

Chief
07-09-07, 09:44 AM
First time in 22 years I stayed home....in-part because of my disgust w/ AOW and the lifeless American dollar at almost even exchange w/ the Canadian $$$. Quite frankly 7.5 hrs. of 2007 CCWS action was not enough to warrant the trip. But, it was a fascinating race to watch unfold on TV! :)

In 1992 it was cold and rainy too and Toronto survived. It'll survive again....

jonovision_man
07-09-07, 09:48 AM
Seabass is the only worthwhile driver but he was pretty soundly outrun by some guy named Power. :shakehead

Jono, you could afford to trim that quote down a little.

Done.

The field is pretty bloody good, anyone who can read a timesheet can see that.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Results/SessionResults.asp?ID=1726

You have to go all the way back to 15th to find someone more than 1s back of the pole time, and Graham is hardly a slouch, just had a bad day. I look at the names and I can think of at least one time in the season where most of those guys put together a good run, there is plenty of talent out there IMO.

jono

pferrf1
07-09-07, 01:38 PM

Pretty scathing... I mean there's reality but then there's taking it way too far, considering it was raining it's completely expected that scalpers would have a tough time. The grandstands looked pretty bloody full given the weather.

jono

Talking to a scalper the 'below face' prices were largely for GA tickets. There were not a ton of grandstand seats getting sold by scalpers.

Insomniac
07-09-07, 04:13 PM
Not much of an opening as it turned out. I suppose many drivers might have tried it as well. Wilson just seemed kinda sloppy overall yesterday.

Not much of an opening? He didn't hit Dalziel that hard. Didn't even bend the suspension.

mapguy
07-09-07, 04:32 PM
But I'm sure all the PT appologists will disagree...

So it is OK for a PT hater like yourself to spout crap.

:rolleyes: :shakehead :thumdown:

RHR_Fan
07-09-07, 05:25 PM
There are promoters who'll tell you that the quality of the product doesn't much matter – that it's the food and the beer and the hired girls in too-tight tank tops who bring in the throngs.

Since when do people complain about too tight of tank tops. :shakehead

Montreal's Alex Tagliani, who finished eighth yesterday, is 34 years old. Toronto's Paul Tracy, who crashed out on yesterday's first lap, is 39. And the best driver in the loop, France's Sebastien Bourdais, seems destined for an F1 exit.

When PT crashed out, the fans didn't go all boo-hoo in the past. Sure being a Canadian driver makes you more popular in Canada, but you're not treated like a God. And when SeaBass went out the crowd cheered.

But it's not hard to fathom a day when scant public interest in an increasingly uninteresting form of motor sport brings this city a silent July.

I saw more people in the grandstands than last year. And don't forget about Thunder Alley.

pferrf1
07-09-07, 05:54 PM
When PT crashed out, the fans didn't go all boo-hoo in the past. Sure being a Canadian driver makes you more popular in Canada, but you're not treated like a God. And when SeaBass went out the crowd cheered.

Nonetheless, with Tagliani at 34 and Tracy at 38 getting the next Canadian in the fold to build up their profile would be good. Ranger could have been the guy

RHR_Fan
07-09-07, 05:59 PM
Nonetheless, with Tagliani at 34 and Tracy at 38 getting the next Canadian in the fold to build up their profile would be good. Ranger could have been the guy

I agree. Hopefully within the next few years guys like Hinchcliffe and Wickens and LaCroix continue to do well and can make the move up to CC.

FTG
07-09-07, 10:13 PM

Yep. Much better to pull over and quit. I was disgusted when PT didn't give up in 2005 and embarrassed for all the PT apologists who tried to pretend that it takes talent and skill to dominate the filed with one front wing. Doornbos should've packed it in after hitting SB too. What did he get for all that amateur risk taking? Nothing but the lead in the championship.

Ruben Barrios
07-09-07, 10:53 PM
^^ Ok, let's see... options:

Quit (like you say)...
Slow down and make it to the pits
Floor it like a maniac

hmmm.... I can see flooring it is the smartest way to go... but of course the team was on vacations yesterday, running Oriol too close on fuel, not informing PT about his souvenir collected a couple of turns before...

Problem is most fans don't realize the first principle of racing... To finish first in a race you must finish the race first...

Just look at Wilson, he was thrown all the way to the back and managed to be second... or even PT last race... from the back he won...

Thinking sometimes agrees with racing...

Insomniac
07-10-07, 08:49 AM
^^ Ok, let's see... options:

Quit (like you say)...
Slow down and make it to the pits
Floor it like a maniac

hmmm.... I can see flooring it is the smartest way to go... but of course the team was on vacations yesterday, running Oriol too close on fuel, not informing PT about his souvenir collected a couple of turns before...

Problem is most fans don't realize the first principle of racing... To finish first in a race you must finish the race first...

Just look at Wilson, he was thrown all the way to the back and managed to be second... or even PT last race... from the back he won...

Thinking sometimes agrees with racing...

So was it PT's fault or not?

Wilson finished third BTW.

indyfan31
07-10-07, 10:28 AM

The wing didn't become disloged and distract Tracy, it's obvious the wing was below his sightline. When he picked up speed the "spare" wing lifted up and with it the front end of the car, thereby losing steering control. I've never been a "Tracy apologist" and I'm not starting now, but maybe you can wipe the rage from your eyes and watch it again.

Ruben Barrios
07-10-07, 05:47 PM
His front end was not lost at all... watch the replay again... PT crashing was PT (and his teams fault)... the rest of the grid crashing that was quite another thing... Someone (Haylen maybe) locked the weels, went sideways and the rest is history...

PT always has a recap of his race... funny he has said nothing this time...

indyfan31
07-10-07, 07:15 PM
So, having a 5 ft piece of plastic stuck under your front wing should have no impact on the steering..... how much racing do you watch?

And PT crashing was the TEAM's fault, how does that work?

nrc
07-10-07, 07:29 PM
His front end was not lost at all... watch the replay again...We evidently have different replays. Mine shows pretty much exactly what Jon described.

Insomniac
07-10-07, 08:40 PM
Oh no, that was PT all the way...

he got distracted...

not informing PT about his souvenir collected a couple of turns before...

PT crashing was PT (and his teams fault)...

Maybe you should watch the replay a few more times, it looks like you are almost there...

PT always has a recap of his race... funny he has said nothing this time...

They interviewed him during the race and he said the same thing Jon did. He didn't know a wing was there, car didn't turn all the way in Turn 8.

Insomniac
07-10-07, 08:42 PM
And PT crashing was the TEAM's fault, how does that work?

I mentioned this before, but I don't know if they had enough time to warn PT to slow down.

Cam
07-11-07, 01:07 AM
They interviewed him during the race and he said the same thing Jon did. He didn't know a wing was there, car didn't turn all the way in Turn 8.

He did say that??? I really was curious about that, as I BitTorrented the broadcast by Eurosport (the ESPN one was not there) and when they interviewed him after, they didn't even ask! I would have thought that would have been the first thing to ask. Dumazzes. :rolleyes:

Oh and there was no spoiler on the F1 race. :p

nrc
07-11-07, 02:50 AM

jono

A much more positive outlook from the paying sponsor.

The fact that the beer tents at Exhibition Place, the site of the Toronto Grand Prix, almost ran out of suds Friday night, forcing D'Angelo to call for "an emergency run" from his Steelback Brewery undoubtedly added to his enthusiasm.

In fact, D'Angelo was so upbeat yesterday that he said he's ready to extend his contract as title sponsor.

"We're going to go the full five years (of his current pact) and then we're going to go for another five years," he said.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/234174

They dance around the subject of crowd comparisons, but it's a bit much to expect that things are going to be down a bit from the best years of Molson.

Ruben Barrios
07-11-07, 11:12 AM
If that's the case I consider myself corrected.

jonovision_man
07-11-07, 03:28 PM
A much more positive outlook from the paying sponsor.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/234174

They dance around the subject of crowd comparisons, but it's a bit much to expect that things are going to be down a bit from the best years of Molson.

They should get him to sign that 5 year extension before he sobers up. ;) :D

Good news, though. Steelback is a small-ish company, I'm sure this had a huge impact on their sales, probably their biggest marketing effort to date.

jono

devilmaster
07-11-07, 04:07 PM
Good news, though. Steelback is a small-ish company, I'm sure this had a huge impact on their sales, probably their biggest marketing effort to date.

Bigger than sitting round the hockey dressing room with all the old NHL farts?!? Say it ain't so Jono! ;) :rofl:

http://www.steelbackbrewery.com/tvspot16.asp

Methanolandbrats
07-11-07, 05:15 PM
Using beer consumption to measure a crowd is not valid methodology. It would only take a few busloads of serious drunks to skew the results :gomer: