PDA

View Full Version : The Daytona 500 in November?

devilmaster
07-06-07, 01:48 PM
http://www.captainthunderracing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2324

Apparently, NASCAR is intrigued by the idea of switching the dates of the season ending Homestead race with the season opening Daytona 500. The allure of ending the NASCAR season and crowning a new Nextel Cup champion at the sports biggest race is something the France family is strongly considering.

I knew they started to see empty bleachers at tracks, especially during the chase, but this is just smacks of desperation.

TKGAngel
07-06-07, 02:08 PM
From a TV standpoint, this could be a nightmare. Why would you move your biggest event to the middle of football season? In February, NASCAR pretty much has the sports landscape to themselves. Why move the 500 to compete against a sport that your key demo is also a key audience of?

TrueBrit
07-06-07, 02:49 PM
Always struck me as being kinda weird that you start the season with the biggest race of the year...kinda like starting the NFL season with the SuperBowl....

dando
07-06-07, 03:52 PM
:tony: must be giving them advice on this. With the race as it is, they @ least have a guarantee of momentum to open the season. If the 500 is in November, it could be anti-climatic, plus it competes with college and pro foosball. Dumb. I hope they do it. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-06-07, 05:27 PM
WGAF when they run that crap.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-07, 05:53 PM
They should move it to May.

Rogue Leader
07-06-07, 06:08 PM
That is SO stupid.. so if someone has a strong championship lead the 500 is anticlimactic, and the first race of the season isn't anything special. and it will be competing with football which is already kicking it's ass.... Brilliant!

Fio1
07-06-07, 06:28 PM
That is SO stupid.. so if someone has a strong championship lead the 500 is anticlimactic, and the first race of the season isn't anything special. and it will be competing with football which is already kicking it's ass.... Brilliant!

I'm sure Mr.France is rolling in his grave. Hey maybe to attract more fans they should have the Daytona 500 at other locations around the world. Why does it always have to be in Daytona Florida? It is the super bowl of stock car racing, and the super bowl always changes locations? :laugh:

DagoFast
07-06-07, 06:47 PM
I'm sure Mr.France is rolling in his grave. Hey maybe to attract more fans they should have the Daytona 500 at other locations around the world. Why does it always have to be in Daytona Florida? It is the super bowl of stock car racing, and the super bowl always changes locations? :laugh:

Whoo Hoo! That thar is genius Fio

They could hold it at Kentucky Speedway and make history and kill a lawsuit all at the same time. :tony:

Think up a really big number for when Brian France calls offering you a job! :rofl:

extramundane
07-06-07, 06:53 PM
They should move it to May.

Only if it's the season ender, with a new season starting in June. Not even TG could screw up gold like that. :tony:

Fio1
07-07-07, 10:03 PM
I was thinking more of California Speedway. That would be cool having the Daytona 500 at California Speedway. It might confuse the rednecks, but it will help expand Nascar's demographics. :rofl: :rolleyes:

BTW, isn't November the middle of the huricane season? Maybe Nascar can work out a deal and name Huricanes after past Nascar drivers. If they get only 4 huricanes before November, then naming the 5th Earnhardt will be very popular...:cool:

Stu
07-08-07, 10:53 AM
what they need to do is shorten the season. make it 30 weeks and THEN end it with Daytona.

22 week "regular season" @ 22 different tracks.

8 week "playoff chase" @ 8 of the top tracks used in the regular season.

30 weeks instead of 36. have the season start 2/10/08, ending the season on August 31st. No off weeks, have a Saturday night race for Easter, hold the All-Star race in November, and be done with it. They could still start the season with the Daytona 500 and end it with the Pepsi 400 at Daytona. They could also still do the Bud Shootout on Superbowl Sunday as a lead in to the game. Im sure people would rather watch that than the stupid pregame feel good stories for 4 hours.

Stu
07-08-07, 10:54 AM
BTW, isn't November the middle of the huricane season? Maybe Nascar can work out a deal and name Huricanes after past Nascar drivers. If they get only 4 huricanes before November, then naming the 5th Earnhardt will be very popular...:cool:

If Hurricanes arent a problem for Homestead in November, I doubt they would be for Daytona.

FCYTravis
07-08-07, 12:29 PM
This rumor, like so many others, turned out to be a whopping pile of crap, as NASCAR issued a strenuous denial that they were even considering it.

Stu
07-08-07, 03:32 PM
This rumor, like so many others, turned out to be a whopping pile of crap, as NASCAR issued a strenuous denial that they were even considering it.

if anything that makes me believe it even more.

Fio1
07-08-07, 04:57 PM
Ya, but noone actually goes to Homestead. So, it might be a problem if they had the Daytona 500 in November.