PDA

View Full Version : Jesus! Hope no one has arachnophobia....

devilmaster
06-29-07, 11:34 AM
cause its a spider attack!

Most users ever online was 482, 06-29-2007 at 11:15 AM.

:saywhat:

eiregosod
06-29-07, 11:56 AM
its the dire-phone hype.

nrc
06-29-07, 01:18 PM
Ok. That's it. Stupid Yahoo is a constant problem with too many spiders crawling around. I think they did it last time, too. The problem is that they're coming from hundreds of different IP addresses so they're seen as separate sessions.

I'll add a big crawl delay that should space out their hits enough that the sessions will expire before they pile up so much. Then I gotta fix the count again. :irked:

Factoid: Yahoo crawlers use three times the bandwidth of Google and generate 1/4 as many search hits.

Cam
06-29-07, 01:45 PM
For some reason on SF there has been spiders crawling all over that are from Texas A&M computer science research dept. One has to wonder what they are doing. :confused:

Sean O'Gorman
06-29-07, 02:44 PM
Must be the llamas.

Cam
06-29-07, 03:50 PM
Must be the llamas.

Texas A&M violatin' the Llamas?!?!!? Ank! You gotz some splainin to do! :p

Insomniac
06-29-07, 04:36 PM
You underestimate how much traffic Mont-Tremblant can draw. :)

devilmaster
06-29-07, 07:06 PM
You underestimate how much traffic Mont-Tremblant can draw. :)

Actually, its Peter's Foyt Futilities. I noticed it when I looked at the main forum page and noticed over 200 'people' looking at the The Others forum. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
06-29-07, 09:10 PM
Another forum I post at had more simultaneous people online than it does actual members today, thought that was an odd coincidence.

dando
06-29-07, 09:40 PM
Actually, its Peter's Foyt Futilities. I noticed it when I looked at the main forum page and noticed over 200 'people' looking at the The Others forum. ;)

Dude, it's Danica. Don't you see that Danica == eyeballs? :gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
06-30-07, 01:17 AM
Don't you see that Danica == eyeballs? :gomer:

-Kevin

Well I suspect that a set of eyeballs are even bigger than her........

whoops. family forum and all. ;)

Cam
06-30-07, 02:38 PM
crawler4.irl.cs.tamu.edu

Another one of the little buggers crawling around today. Richard are you seeing these ones too?

G.
06-30-07, 02:45 PM
They make me all itchy.

devilmaster
07-02-07, 03:41 PM
has the yahoo spider been more prevalent in the last little bit?

Even with the things nrc has done, it seems like there are still 30+ spiders on at any one time. Couple that with what SeanO said about that other forum of his, and I question is it worse now?

nrc
07-02-07, 09:03 PM
has the yahoo spider been more prevalent in the last little bit?

Even with the things nrc has done, it seems like there are still 30+ spiders on at any one time. Couple that with what SeanO said about that other forum of his, and I question is it worse now?Yahoo Slurp has always been one of the most obnoxious spiders. It just seems to have gone berserk. It's happened before with new versions.

It's limited to one page per minute here now so it basically never finishes. It's also limited to the archives. lf it doesn't calm down we'll limit it to the intro page.

nrc
07-04-07, 01:19 AM
Done. Limited it to the intro page. So long Slurp Spider.

TravelGal
07-08-07, 01:41 AM
OK, I'll bite. What the H, heck, is a slurp spider? As the owner of a web site that suffers from severe neglect, I'm wondering if I should be standing by with a can of Raid.

Insomniac
07-08-07, 10:29 AM
OK, I'll bite. What the H, heck, is a slurp spider? As the owner of a web site that suffers from severe neglect, I'm wondering if I should be standing by with a can of Raid.

The Slurp Spider is the name Yahoo! gives to the machines that they use to "crawl" web sites to gather the information to give users search results.

So a spider is basically one or more machines used to index web sites.

In OC's case, they are indexing the site more than they would like. If you would like your web site to be indexed by search engines, there should be a place where you can submit your web address. Then, they will index your web site with a couple weeks to a month.

Now, if they get out of hand, you may need a robots.txt file. :)

TravelGal
07-08-07, 08:22 PM
Now, if they get out of hand, you may need a robots.txt file. :)

Thank you. I don't like the smell of Raid. ;)

I knew about spiders and bots (they have my email address in play, which drives me INSANE) but I didn't know about the Slurpy ones. Atleast that they were called that.

I'm just as happy not to be indexed. The last thing I want is lookie loo's who wonder if I can save them $5 on a $10,000 trip. Actually, NO, I can't--because I wouldn't if I could--if you catch my drift. I save you money in the long run but I don't talk nickles and dimes. Harrumph!

Insomniac
07-08-07, 08:50 PM
Thank you. I don't like the smell of Raid. ;)

I knew about spiders and bots (they have my email address in play, which drives me INSANE) but I didn't know about the Slurpy ones. Atleast that they were called that.

I'm just as happy not to be indexed. The last thing I want is lookie loo's who wonder if I can save them $5 on a $10,000 trip. Actually, NO, I can't--because I wouldn't if I could--if you catch my drift. I save you money in the long run but I don't talk nickles and dimes. Harrumph!

Some search engines name their spiders. Google calls their's Googlebot.

So you're looking to build long term customers instead of short term customers? Is your goal to compete based on service instead of price? If so, I agree. The 'net isn't trhe best place for competing on service. Service tends to matter only after/when things go wrong.

TravelGal
07-09-07, 01:42 AM
So you're looking to build long term customers instead of short term customers? Is your goal to compete based on service instead of price? If so, I agree. The 'net isn't trhe best place for competing on service. Service tends to matter only after/when things go wrong.

Ding Ding Ding! You are a winner. And the type of client I like to have because you *get* it. I build my business on service and my expertise. Expertise saves you money for a hundred different reasons. Service saves you time and aggravation. I'm not sure I agree that it comes into play only if something goes wrong.

My website is meant to be a validation that, yep, I'm a legit business AFTER people find me on other sources. It doesn't sell anything and *nothing moves!* My poor webdesigner had to be almost physically contrained from having ships sailing and suns setting and stars sparkling. Travel is supposed to be relaxing, at the least the kind I sell is supposed to be, not fraught with high-energy gimmicks.

But I digress. Thanks guys for reassuring me that the benign neglect of my site can continue. ;)

Insomniac
07-09-07, 07:26 AM
Ding Ding Ding! You are a winner. And the type of client I like to have because you *get* it. I build my business on service and my expertise. Expertise saves you money for a hundred different reasons. Service saves you time and aggravation. I'm not sure I agree that it comes into play only if something goes wrong.

My website is meant to be a validation that, yep, I'm a legit business AFTER people find me on other sources. It doesn't sell anything and *nothing moves!* My poor webdesigner had to be almost physically contrained from having ships sailing and suns setting and stars sparkling. Travel is supposed to be relaxing, at the least the kind I sell is supposed to be, not fraught with high-energy gimmicks.

But I digress. Thanks guys for reassuring me that the benign neglect of my site can continue. ;)

I meant service generally comes last when shopping online. People generally are shopping for the best price, and can do it pretty quickly. They would look at the return/replacement policy kind of secondary to the bottom line price. It's when the product ends up broken or something and you have to return it that you realize why the price was the lowest.

I'm glad you have at least some type of web presence.

TravelGal
07-09-07, 07:08 PM
^^^ OH! I misunderstood. Yes, you are certainly right about shopping online. Don't know why I kinked out of that line of reasoning.

Yep. Have had my website for five years now. That's a hunnert in computer talk.