PDA

View Full Version : Gold Cup / soccer announcing

WickerBill
06-25-07, 07:16 AM
Yesterday, I watched the USA beat Mexico 2-1 (on Fox Soccer Channel) in a sloppily-played, very high tempo, entertaining Gold Cup final. As Deadspin says, "WooHoo! We have a big Gold Cup!".

I've also watched a few MLS matches on ESPN this season. While in many respects, the club matches are better quality simply because the players train together and play together more often, the MLS is simply dreadful to watch. I mean .... *painful*. But I think I know the reason: announcing. I don't know who the PBP guy is for ESPN, but he's always excited at the wrong times, completely caught off guard by good moves which set up scoring opportunities, babbling with Tommy Smyth about professional nose-picking for 10 minutes at a stretch (in fairness, Tommy does everything he can do but scream SHUT UP!), and on and on. My biggest pet peeve is this: "We're going into halftime with the score one to nothing".

Now, I know that one of two things is true here: either he is SO clueless that he doesn't realize the proper terminology is "nil" for zero (just like the proper terminology is "love" for zero in tennis), or (more likely) ESPN has told them to "Americanize" the sport by saying things like that.

Now, perhaps this is just my beef, and it isn't shared by others, but call the sport the way it's supposed to be called! Get someone in there who knows what is happening, and let them announce it. I can't envision a scenario where one single fan is won over to soccer because the announcer says "nothing" instead of "nil", or he says "bicycle kick" instead of "overhead kick", or he says "five hole" instead of "nutmeg". It seems to me that if you get a properly informed English announcer doing play by play with a well-spoken American former player (I said well spoken, Wynalda) doing "color", you would draw who you're gonna draw and not piss off the people who actually follow the sport in the process.

Too much to ask?

Contrast that with the Gold Cup final yesterday. Max Bretos and Christopher Sullivan. Sullivan is everything that Wynalda is not -- speaks clearly, quickly, compliments the PBP guy, and really knows what's happening. Bretos also really knows what is going on, and while he might be a little over the top, at least he doesn't shout like the game was just won on a 40 yard volley in stoppage time when a guy gets dispossessed in midfield at the 11 minute mark. His genuine shock and "yyyyyYYYYEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" when Feilhaber hit the winner (not on YouTube yet, unfortunately) was excellent.

If any of you non-soccer fans have made it this far, would you rather hear an American call the match, who doesn't know a whole lot, or an English guy call the match, who obviously knows the sport? If you were FORCED to watch an MLS game, which would you rather listen to?

(Ank, let me save you the trouble: "You watch MLS?? :gomer: " There... you don't have to respond now)

Ankf00
06-25-07, 09:54 AM
I watch MLS. :gomer: The top sides are actually viewable these days, and I've hit up plenty of matches the past few years between FC Dallas, Dynamo, and the Rapids.

but woohoo Gold Cup!!! We rule!!! Now we're going to the Confederations Cup next year!!!! Take THAT Mexico. Screw Copa America, who wants to play in an elite tournament with all those nancy dirty cheating sud america sides anyway? O'DOYLE RULES!!!!!!!!! (Sunil can choke on a pole, that t**t :saywhat: )

and to answer your question, I listen to the messikans on telefutura... but the guy who's going to be calling the copa for Gol is fantastic

Insomniac
06-25-07, 11:08 AM
I think another part of the problem is the camera angles and the fields. Half of the MLS teams play in football stadiums and the fields just aren't as wide and the camera is too close to the field. The other soccer stadiums are small and the cameras still feel too close.

Methanolandbrats
06-25-07, 11:32 AM
Very difficult game to translate to TV. Univision camera work, direction and announcing is the best. I have no idea what they are saying, but they are fired up :D If you know the game, there really is no need for announcers.

WickerBill
06-25-07, 12:44 PM
I think another part of the problem is the camera angles and the fields. Half of the MLS teams play in football stadiums and the fields just aren't as wide and the camera is too close to the field. The other soccer stadiums are small and the cameras still feel too close.

Yeah, I found myself this weekend wishing I had $15 mil spare change to donate to Real Salt Lake to build a low end 5k seater stadium with a proper sized pitch and touchlines. You'd have to be a few rocks shy of a load to try to slide to catch a ball on the line at that stadium.

eiregosod
06-25-07, 02:11 PM
the best wat to watch the footy is to turn the audio channel for the commentators off and leave the crowd audio on.

take an example from Alan partiridge:

pVxf0YjyjdI

cameraman
06-25-07, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I found myself this weekend wishing I had $15 mil spare change to donate to Real Salt Lake to build a low end 5k seater stadium with a proper sized pitch and touchlines.

Meh, they got $110+ million for a soccer palace:irked:

RusH
06-25-07, 04:29 PM
Very difficult game to translate to TV. Univision camera work, direction and announcing is the best. I have no idea what they are saying, but they are fired up :D If you know the game, there really is no need for announcers.

+1
....and I understand what they say, even though it`s Mexican.;)

Methanolandbrats
06-25-07, 05:40 PM
+1
....and I understand what they say, even though it`s Mexican.;)I wish I had learned Mexican instead of French. French is a useless, dead language, but the teachers were beautiful :)

Ankf00
06-26-07, 06:09 PM
Hockey's dead in 4 years time

It's on it's way... (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/26/bc.soc.goldcupratings.ap/index.html)
Gold Cup TV ratings 41 percent higher than NHL final

Methanolandbrats
06-26-07, 07:00 PM
Hockey's dead in 4 years time

It's on it's way... (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/26/bc.soc.goldcupratings.ap/index.html):D BIG:thumbup: Soccer in the USA is now to the point where people who played and know the game have kids playing. We've seen it in our local clubs, the participation is way up from U8 to U18. Practice fields are hard to find and scheduling games on the few game fields is a nightmare.

WickerBill
06-27-07, 07:54 AM
Use this one. It's pretty much always available.

http://www.aysotarrytown.com/photos/soccer%20field.jpg

Methanolandbrats
06-27-07, 08:07 AM
Use this one. It's pretty much always available.

http://www.aysotarrytown.com/photos/soccer%20field.jpg Those trees have to go.