PDA

View Full Version : Indy Ticket Advice Needed

CARTNUT
05-05-03, 11:28 AM
Well, as it's always been a dream of mine since I was a kid to go to the Indy 500, I finally bit the big one and purchased airfare and hotel; So, I guess I'm going!!! (Mainly because of JEEMY!!!)

Now I need help from some of you more seasoned veterans with selecting a ticket for the race. I've been looking on e-bay and am focussed on a seat in Paddock section, row SS, 7 yards north of S/F line. Looking at the seating diagram, obviously this looks like a great spot with a view of the pits, etc. But my main concern is is this so high in the seats that there might be any obstruction or distraction of the view from the roof overhang??? I can get the ticket for face value at this point which I feel is fine.

Anyone have any input? I'd appreciate it! I plan on getting a ticket by this Wednesday.

Thanks, 'NUT

SteveH
05-05-03, 11:45 AM
I used to have Indy tickets in the same location, row PP. Not bad seats, for Paddock that is. You are a little north of most of the pit action. You will see them come out of 4 and head into 1. Its a good location to see all the pre-race activity plus its covered in case of rain or if its sunny you don't get fried. Take a jacket, can be chilly, especially if there is a breeze. The overhang won't bother you.

Not sure what you'll be paying for the tickets, but it sounds like there will be plenty available on raceday at less than track price. Your problem would be knowing what is a good seat and what isn't if you decide to buy at that time. Indy has way too many terrible seats.

cart7
05-05-03, 11:54 AM
I advise sitting in the turns. Indy sucks for viewing the racetrack, but at least in the turns you get a better line than the main straight. I've sat in both the tower terrace and B stand and the sight lines up and down the straight s****. Try J stand, NW vista, NE vista for the best views. I'm able to see the cars almost all the way through 3 then turning into 1 from my J stand seat.

BTW, the scalpers are dying out there and are selling pretty good seats at less than face value both Sat. before the race and race morning.

JSR
05-05-03, 12:03 PM
Those are good seats. But I am pretty sure you will not be able to see the jumbo trons being in row SS. I set in the paddock too. Our seats are row LL and MM. From our MM seats you actually have to bend down to see the tv's.

RaceChic
05-05-03, 03:30 PM
I have always sat in the Northeast Vista. I can see turns 3 and 4 and a fair bit down the straightaway approachiung turn 3. Sat up in the double numbers. I agree with cart7....the scalpers are loosing money on the tickets and are all over the streets surrounding the track. You can get decent seats at less than ticket price. Also with tickets still available online in pretty good seats till this day, I would venture to guess that there will be good scalper tickets available. Unless you need a little more reassurance than that.

Let Lizzerd and I know if you are interested in a gathering. :D
Few of us will be there, although I don't think I will ever go back again after this year. ;)

Hink
05-05-03, 03:39 PM
Haven't been since 1995 but here's what I saw.

1986-1991: Front row lower H Stand at the exit (straight) of turn 4 on the outside. You could see the cars through most of 4 and all the way into 1 if your vision is good. You always knew who was pitting. These days you might see more since the infield turn 4 bleachers are long gone. The pit entrace is also a lot longer.

1995: SW Vista (High up near the top). You could see turn 1, the chute, and part of 2. These were really nice seats. You could see all of the passing in one. Not sure if they actually sold them out this year or not but they likely did.

More advice: Don't pay more than face value unless it's slightly over for some of the best seats. The E-Stand Penthouse used to go for $600 each back in the day through scalpers. Now $200 seems like a rip-off.

Napoleon
05-07-03, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Hink
Haven't been since 1995 but here's what I saw.

Nor have I, and I have no desire to go back.

Railbird
05-07-03, 08:48 AM
I have always enjoyed any fairly high seat in whichever turn. If you are close to the apex though the seats don't have to be too high.

Other than practice or quals I've never sat in the Paddock but I suppose they are OK if you are into watching the pit action. I would make sure I had a clear view of one of the jumbotrons.

But, if I didn't already have seats, I'd study the seating charts and make notes on what I wanted and then show up raceday morning with a little cash and go trolling the scalpers. I've always wanted to try that myself but I've always had good seats to begin with.

RaceChic
05-07-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon

I know what you mean. Problem is that over the years ya develop friends that you see only there once a year. Feel a sense of guilt every time I go now, and disgust, and anger..........:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

P.S. There is a good view of a jumbotron in the NE vista in reference to Railbird's suggestion. :thumbup:

Spicoli
05-07-03, 11:51 AM
Dood:

Just pack a cooler, walk in, hand the Yellow Shirt a beer, and sit whereever you want. They will be glad that you are there, and not dressed in aluminum like so many other fans.

Twisty Bits
05-08-03, 12:24 AM

I drove 5 hours last year only to get sick to my stomach over the finish.:thumdown: