PDA

View Full Version : I got hit by a truck

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 11:43 AM
Was on my bike, guy in truck turns left across my lane, I have no time to react and plow head-first into this truck.

Now I don't look so pretty:
http://www.petruk.net/images/bike-accident/Jon-accident-small.JPG

That was on Monday, I'm recovering slowly... a few concussion symptoms still lingering but should be OK! :)

He got a traffic ticket for making a turn while unsafe. :p A couple hundred bucks, that's it. That'll teach him! :shakehead

jono

spinner26
06-24-07, 12:22 PM
nothing like a little road rash. :\

Hope you recover quickly. Always amazing how cars and trucks alike are oblivious to bikes be them motor or peddle.

I was riding yesterday up around Southside Harley, Southport and Emerson,even with hundreds of bikes riding around, Indidana State H.O.G. rally, the cars and trucks drive as if you are no where in sight, really enough to pizz a fella off.:flame:

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it's a real problem. And not being surrounded by metal and airbags, we're far more vulnerable to injury in an accident!

I don't know what the solution is to be honest, you pretty much have to get hit to see any law enforcement for it. For cyclists, we pretty much need to see a critical mass, where motorists are dealing with us all the time so they get better at it. I would see maybe a dozen other cyclists on my bike ride to work, compared to thousands of cars.

jono

Ankf00
06-24-07, 01:15 PM
sorry to hear that dude, that's pretty s*****.

and yea, unless you get hit the police will never do a thing about it, but if you so much as touch a sidewalk for some reason while on 2 wheels, *bam*, ticket.

Insomniac
06-24-07, 03:39 PM
Damn, man. Glad you're getting better.

I wonder if there is more or less bicycle-vehicle accidents in Europe where there are more cyclists.

cart7
06-24-07, 03:52 PM
Glad you're OK.

My brother In-law was in a bicycle accident with a Chevy Blazer years ago. The guy turned into him as the two were side by side. The bike got entangled in the truck, his pant leg got entangled in his bike. He got drug awhile. I saw the pictures of his injuries, you came out looking good by comparison.

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 03:56 PM
I wonder if there is more or less bicycle-vehicle accidents in Europe where there are more cyclists.

From what I've heard, there are fewer accidents, at least per cyclist. The impression I have is that they co-exist quite well.

jono

Spicoli
06-24-07, 04:36 PM
Get better mang. That looks like it really ****ing hurt. :(

greenie
06-24-07, 04:53 PM
That's a conversation starter that should get you some play w/shallow young ladies ooot there - get to a bar immediately!

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 05:07 PM
LOL. :)

I think my 8.5 months pregnant wife might have an issue with that! :D

jono

Sean O'Gorman
06-24-07, 05:41 PM
Wow. So what kind of race car are you going to buy with your settlement money? :eek:

Indy
06-24-07, 06:34 PM
My advice: if the mother****er looks poor, beat the **** out of him, but if he looks rich, sue the **** out of him.

But then I am a frustrated biker as well (pedal and motor). :mad:

Joelski
06-24-07, 06:36 PM
Wow. So what kind of race car are you going to buy with your settlement money? :eek:

Use some of it to buy a helmet! :thumbup:

nrc
06-24-07, 06:42 PM
That was on Monday, I'm recovering slowly... a few concussion symptoms still lingering but should be OK! :)

He got a traffic ticket for making a turn while unsafe. :p A couple hundred bucks, that's it. That'll teach him! :shakehead

jono

Ouch! Glad that you weren't hurt more seriously.

Won't the driver have to pay your medical bill?

oddlycalm
06-24-07, 06:45 PM
That sucks jono, hope you're feeling better soon. People that drive without using their eyes need more of a reminder than a ticket and a small fine.

We've had a rash of cyclist hit and runs by drunks over the last couple years, most fatal, and it's getting real old. The reason that bike/car accidents are fewer in Europe is that most people ride or have ridden as well as the penalties for screwing up.

oc

devilmaster
06-24-07, 06:50 PM
Damn.

Feel better soon there Jono.

nrc
06-24-07, 06:50 PM
and yea, unless you get hit the police will never do a thing about it, but if you so much as touch a sidewalk for some reason while on 2 wheels, *bam*, ticket.
Then stay off the sidewalks. Me and my pedestrian pals are going to start roving in packs, hemming in bicyclists who dare to think they belong on sidewalks instead of sharing the roads. Once they inevitably make contact we'll stop them and start kicking out their spokes and spitting in their drink bottles. :p

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 08:29 PM
Ouch! Glad that you weren't hurt more seriously.

Won't the driver have to pay your medical bill?

What's a medical bill? ;)

I'm in Canada, universal health care.

jono

devilmaster
06-24-07, 08:37 PM
I'm in Canada, universal health care.

jono

He probably had to wait 6 hours in the waiting room before he could get into emerg, but no bills, except for the ambulance ride. ;)

jonovision_man
06-24-07, 09:33 PM
He probably had to wait 6 hours in the waiting room before he could get into emerg, but no bills, except for the ambulance ride. ;)

LOL. :) $45! Twice as much as a cab would have been, but twice as many people in the vehicle so seems reasonable. ;)

Car insurance will supposedly cover that.

jono

G.
06-24-07, 10:12 PM
(since you're relatively ok)

Jono got PWND!! ;-)

(get well. Careful of the "concussion symptoms". Dat be serious.)

Willam
06-24-07, 10:59 PM
Glad you're ok. I've had a number of concussion in my lifetime and you and your wife should really keep an eye for symptoms, at least for the next month or so. I haven't really read this article, but the list of things you should look for is pretty much the kind of list my MD gave me once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_concussion_syndrome

And do take it easy. Glad you're ok :thumbup:

devilmaster
06-25-07, 01:33 AM
(Careful of the "concussion symptoms". Dat be serious.)

Oh I don't know, it might improve his posts...

:runs:
;)

jonovision_man
06-25-07, 06:51 AM
Oh I don't know, it might improve his posts...

:runs:
;)

You better run... :)

jono

Andrew Longman
06-25-07, 07:29 AM

That's pretty much an average emergency room wait in the US, but you get to pay $1000 for it.

Jono. that looks like it was scary and hurt. Get better soon.

Next time wear the helmet on your face.;)

Methanolandbrats
06-25-07, 08:13 AM
The point is you did'nt fall UNDER the truck. In that case you would look quite a bit worse, but it would'nt matter. I quit road biking because of traffic.

Wheel-Nut
06-25-07, 09:44 AM
Were you wearing a helmet Jono?

dando
06-25-07, 10:55 AM
How's the truck look? ;) Glad to hear you're doing OK. :cool:
-Kevin

jonovision_man
06-25-07, 02:03 PM
Were you wearing a helmet Jono?

Yes, never leave home without it! I look like **** with it, without it I can't imagine how messed up I'd be...

jono

jonovision_man
06-25-07, 02:04 PM
How's the truck look? ;)

Cop said I put a 6" dent in it and broke his tail light. :thumbup:

Bike looks worse, though, handlebars and brakes are all messed up, tire flat, wheel remarkably OK but has a wobble it seems.

jono

grungex
06-25-07, 05:48 PM
That stinks, I'm glad you're OK. Get well soon!

TravelGal
06-25-07, 11:28 PM
Good grief! I thought you were kidding with the subject line until I saw the picture.

Poor you. Your poor WIFE. I'm surprised she didn't have the baby on the spot.

Looking foward to much happier news in a couple of weeks.

SaraKate
06-25-07, 11:33 PM
Yes, never leave home without it! I look like **** with it, without it I can't imagine how messed up I'd be...

jono

Amen to the helmet! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Perhaps a hunter-orange cycling jersey will complete the new "I am here!" ensemble. But of course you're probably not going to be hopping on a bike any time soon.

SK

devilmaster
06-26-07, 12:26 AM
I thought you were kidding with the subject line until I saw the picture.

Well, technically..... the truck got hit by him.

;) j/k jono.....

(I gots to get off the gallows humour)

Dr. Corkski
06-26-07, 01:40 AM
The general rule regarding post concussion syndrome is that if you have been cleared by the Philadelphia Flyers team doctors, you are still suffering from it.

Otherwise glad to hear you are still in 1 piece.

chop456
06-26-07, 01:56 AM
The general rule regarding post concussion syndrome is that if you have been cleared by the Philadelphia Flyers team doctors, you are still suffering from it.

I was leaning towards a Nordiques joke yesterday, but couldn't think of a good one. Jon threatens to sit out another cycling season - demands to be traded somewhere without trucks, or something like that.

Glad you're alive. Maybe a BMX helmet next time. :thumbup:

jonovision_man
06-26-07, 11:27 AM
Glad you're alive. Maybe a BMX helmet next time. :thumbup:

I'll wrap myself in bubble wrap. :)

jono

Gnam
06-26-07, 12:44 PM
Did somebody get the license number of that truck? :gomer:

Feel better.

devilmaster
06-26-07, 01:22 PM
poster's remorse.

Gnam
12-18-07, 05:01 PM
I was curious if your insurance company made a claim against any settlement you received.

After reading this story (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/KnowYourRights/EmployersGrabAccidentVictimsCash.aspx) it seems insurance companies are trying to collect from victims. What a lousy way to save a buck. :shakehead

Dirk Diggler
12-18-07, 05:41 PM
Was on my bike, guy in truck turns left across my lane, I have no time to react and plow head-first into this truck.

That happened to me about ten years ago, but I was a bit luckier in that I went across the trunk of an Accord, rather than a freaking truck! Broken arm aside, at least I was able to bounce and slide to a stop. Looks like you stopped rather, um, abrubtly. Ow.

Glad you're ok - could have been a lot worse!:thumbup:

Insomniac
12-18-07, 05:57 PM
I was curious if your insurance company made a claim against any settlement you received.

After reading this story (http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/KnowYourRights/EmployersGrabAccidentVictimsCash.aspx) it seems insurance companies are trying to collect from victims. What a lousy way to save a buck. :shakehead

Most states have subrogation laws. They were done a great disservice by their attorney. They should've immediately negotiated a settlement with their health care provider for a percentage of what they paid out before the costs mounted.

jonovision_man
12-18-07, 08:15 PM

I received the money to fix my bike, replace my helmet and eyeglasses, and for a few weeks of physiotherapy.

I have permanently bent pinkie fingers now, on both hands... but because they function it makes it very difficult to sue the driver or his insurance company. The fact that my work was not really interrupted works against. me. :shakehead

It's ridiculous... you'd think being permanently disfigured - even in a fairly minor way - would be something I'd be compensated for in an accident that was deemed to be 0% my fault and 100% the driver's. But here in Ontario there is a $20k deductible on any reward, and you have to prove an impairment of function... it was in an effort to reduce the number of cases before the courts, and bring down insurance rates. :saywhat:

Oh well! At least I was able to get back to biking pretty quickly and functionally I'm fine. Went on to do a century ride (100 miles) in September in fact. Take that, life! :)

http://www.petruk.net/images/jon-bike.JPG

jono

extramundane
12-18-07, 09:27 PM
It's ridiculous... you'd think being permanently disfigured - even in a fairly minor way - would be something I'd be compensated for in an accident that was deemed to be 0% my fault and 100% the driver's.

Hey, it could be worse. About 2 blocks from my house, a woman on her bike was hit by a police car. The car was running a just-turned-red light, no lights or siren, at 15MPH over the speed limit and the officer was reported by several witnesses to be talking on his cell phone. The cyclist suffered a traumatic brain injury (several months of swelling) and 2 broken vertebrae in her back. 3 months after being hit, she received a bill from the city for $2700+ to cover damages to the police car. When she didn't pay within 30 days, she received a second bill along with a threat to revoke her driver's license. :saywhat:

Dirk Diggler
12-18-07, 10:20 PM
...here in Ontario there is a $20k deductible on any reward, and you have to prove an impairment of function... it was in an effort to reduce the number of cases before the courts, and bring down insurance rates. :saywhat:

Man, if that had happened to you in the states, you could be buying yourself a ride at Force India.:cool:

Sean O'Gorman
12-18-07, 10:28 PM
Most states have subrogation laws. They were done a great disservice by their attorney. They should've immediately negotiated a settlement with their health care provider for a percentage of what they paid out before the costs mounted.

What he said. The $700,000 settlement wasn't for general damages (pain and suffering, etc.), it was for that and the special damages (medical bills). Why wouldn't they be expected to pay that back?

The attorney received a $200,000-300,000 cut of that settlement, but is made to look like the good guy in all this?

cameraman
12-19-07, 02:20 AM
The attorney received a $200,000-300,000 cut of that settlement, but is made to look like the good guy in all this? The attorney did just about everything wrong, the tool was looking out only for his money. It would be worth investigating a malpractice action against the attorney.

G.
12-19-07, 03:43 PM
LOL. :)

I think my 8.5 months pregnant wife might have an issue with that! :D

jonoAnd??

And thanks, Gnam, for that feel-good story! Just in time for Christmas!:(

RusH
12-19-07, 07:18 PM
feel better dude

indyfan31
12-19-07, 07:37 PM
Oh well! At least I was able to get back to biking pretty quickly and functionally I'm fine. Went on to do a century ride (100 miles) in September in fact. Take that, life! :)

http://www.petruk.net/images/jon-bike.JPG

jono

Good man! :thumbup:

Gnam
12-19-07, 07:48 PM
And??

And thanks, Gnam, for that feel-good story! Just in time for Christmas!:(

At least jono's has a happy ending...:p

Hard Driver
12-20-07, 05:53 PM
That's why I don't ride on the road... Trees don't cut you off. Get a mountain bike. ;)

cameraman
12-20-07, 06:33 PM
That's why I don't ride on the road... Trees don't cut you off. Get a mountain bike. ;)

Or not, it depends:eek: :eek: :eek:

One mountain bike rider is dead and another is in serious condition after two separate mountain lion attacks Thursday, January 8, in Lake Forest, California. The attacks occurred in close proximity to one another near Cactus Hill trail in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, a popular off-road riding area surrounded by housing tracts and commercial buildings.

jonovision_man
12-20-07, 07:30 PM

Have one... :) Was out once with my buddy, his front wheel jammed in a rut and he ended up going head first into the ground, cracked his helmet. :eek:

I've stopped commuting to work (what I was doing when I got hit). I stick to the country roads around my place, they're through nice country and very few cars.

jono