PDA

View Full Version : Finally, an organization for most of us!

manic mechanic
06-21-07, 10:30 PM
I saw it in autoweak, so it's gotta be true!!! :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

I like the concept, but I need to query a few of my deputies and chippers to see how they'd react to it before I plunk down the $30...

manic

dando
06-21-07, 11:07 PM
Amen! :thumbup: I read a related story on this in the local fish wrap this past weekend.

Fuggin' left-laners. :shakehead

-Kevin

Warlock!
06-22-07, 07:57 AM
Saw one at Petit LeMans a couple years ago that read "Slower traffic move right " with an arrow underneath. Chop and I got a chuckle out of that one... then we drank a beer.

Cam
06-22-07, 08:34 AM
There is one glaring flaw in this idea.

It assumes the idiots hogging the rock and roll lane use their mirrors. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-22-07, 09:23 AM
There is one glaring flaw in this idea.

It assumes the idiots hogging the rock and roll lane use their mirrors. :gomer:
There is another flaw. Many of the "drive 68 mph and take three miles to pass" types will see that in the mirror and slow down to 65.0000075 mph because "it's the speed limit".

Andrew Longman
06-22-07, 09:36 AM
Seems it would inspire more, not less road rage. I'd be about as tempted to put put ""Shoot me, dumb ass" on my windshield.

I'd rather they undertake a massive public service campaign to educate people on the proper use of the left lane. And have the cops enforce it.

Fifteen years ago something like less than 20% of people used seatbelts. Its now well over 90% IIRC. It is possible.

KLang
06-22-07, 09:52 AM
I'd rather they undertake a massive public service campaign to educate people on the proper use of the left lane. And have the cops enforce it.

You're assuming there is a law for the cops to enforce. There may not be. I remember in Iowa they used to post signs advising slower traffic to stay right but I don't think there was an actual law forcing you to do so. Here in Texas there is no law and they don't even bother advising slower traffic to move over.

I kinda go both ways on this issue. I'm bugged when slower people drive on the left. On the other hand I know I piss some off when I drive in the left at 10-14 miles over the speed limit. I figure if I'm going 14 over, F them, they can go around me.:D

Andrew Longman
06-22-07, 10:14 AM
Then make it a law. There didn't used to be laws for seatbelts either.

And I have to disagree. If faster traffic comes up behind you, you should move over no matter how fast you are going. The "fast" lane is really supposed to be the "passing" lane. You're not supposed to be in it unless you are passing someone. That's really the root of the problem on highways.

Ankf00
06-22-07, 10:17 AM
Here in Texas... they don't even bother advising slower traffic to move over.

depends on the highway you're on, you'll see the signs... not in the city though. and I'm pretty sure the law says that if you're impeding traffic you're not to be in the left lane.

Methanolandbrats
06-22-07, 10:21 AM

And I have to disagree. If faster traffic comes up behind you, you should move over no matter how fast you are going. The "fast" lane is really supposed to be the "passing" lane. You're not supposed to be in it unless you are passing someone. That's really the root of the problem on highways. Yup, it's the OVERTAKING lane. Even if you're doing 100 mph, if someone comes up at 125 mph, move over. And the cops will never write tickets for left lane crimes because it's far more lucrative to hide in the bushes and write tickets for the occasional 20+ mph over the limit driver.

KLang
06-22-07, 10:30 AM

And I have to disagree. If faster traffic comes up behind you, you should move over no matter how fast you are going. The "fast" lane is really supposed to be the "passing" lane. You're not supposed to be in it unless you are passing someone. That's really the root of the problem on highways.

Depends on the traffic. Most of the time if I'm in the left lane going 10-14 over I am constantly passing slower traffic on the right. There is no way to move over to let the idiot behind me pass.

Methanolandbrats
06-22-07, 10:33 AM
Depends on the traffic. Most of the time if I'm in the left lane going 10-14 over I am constantly passing slower traffic on the right. There is no way to move over to let the idiot behind me pass. Lot's of people think you're the "idiot" for doing 10-14 over and then you think the guy doing faster than you is the "idiot". That's the problem, nobody should play traffic cop. If someone comes up behind you in the left lane, you have to find a little gap, move over and then move back into the left lane after they pass.

KLang
06-22-07, 10:38 AM
Lot's of people think you're the "idiot" for doing 10-14 over and then you think the guy doing faster than you is the "idiot". That's the problem, nobody should play traffic cop. If someone comes up behind you in the left lane, you have to find a little gap, move over and then move back into the left lane after they pass.

:laugh: Sorry, no can do. As I said above, I go both ways on this issue. By the way, normally I am going the same speed as everyone else in that lane.

Turn7
06-22-07, 10:44 AM
I'm with Carlin on this issue.

I'm the only driver. The rest are idiots(going to slow) and maniacs(going to fast). Since you are all idiots and maniacs, follow me or get out of my way so that you can observe the proper way to drive. Oh, and yes it is my road.

dando
06-22-07, 11:34 AM

Yup. It is the law in PA and it does make a difference. I've made the drive from here to OCNJ every summer for the past 13 years, and there is a HUGE difference b/w PA and oHIo driver behavior due to the law. The highways in oHIo resemble Tallydega and Daytona with large packs of cars because someone is hogging the left lane. Rarely do I run into this problem in PA....until I get to Philly, and then all bets are off on what happens there. :\

-Kevin

opinionated ow
06-22-07, 11:45 AM
haha I could join. I always drive in the left lane. f@#$ing NSW P-Plate laws, soooooo non-sensical!

chop456
06-22-07, 12:07 PM
Illinois has a left lane law. (http://www.danrutherford.com/leftlanelaw.asp)

G.
06-22-07, 12:09 PM
They have the law in The Republik of Illinois. You are not supposed to drive in the LHL, only pass, then move over.

Working out REAL well....:rolleyes:

ferrarigod
06-22-07, 12:12 PM
florida claims they are going to start pulling people over in the left hand lane that AREN'T speeding.

based on my travels on the turnpike and other 2 lane highways, i'd say that message isn't getting across. people may be going 5 over, but when i come up on them at 30 over, it is still a safety issue to have them crusing on a sunday afternoon.

Gnam
06-22-07, 12:45 PM
I need a system that broadcasts my comments directly to their windshield.

I would settle for a choice of three messages.
"Speed up"
"Hang up phone."
"Hey baby. What's up?" ;)

'Keep Right' (http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html) laws by state.

Easy
06-22-07, 03:08 PM
They have the law in The Republik of Illinois. You are not supposed to drive in the LHL, only pass, then move over.

Working out REAL well....:rolleyes:

It might not be an issue if Chicago didn't have the same highway capacity as Lincoln, Nebraska.

dando
06-22-07, 03:14 PM
Here's a snipet from the local wrap's article on this group:

In Ohio at least, motorists who blithely hang out in the left lane driving below the speed limit aren't doing anything illegal, although they often irritate other motorists.

The lane is supposed to be used to pass other vehicles. As a courtesy, the slower-moving vehicle should move to the right.

Illinois enacted a law in 2004 prohibiting drivers from staying in a highway's left lane when not passing a vehicle. This year, Left Lane Drivers of America, a grass-roots effort to raise awareness of the proper use of the left lane, was formed.

"There are too many people who treat it like I have a choice between lanes A, B and C when in fact choice A is not on the table for you unless you are passing somebody," said J.A. Tosti, director of Left Lane Drivers of America. His group sells a decal for the windshield that appears in the rearview mirror of the car ahead. The decal reads "Move Over," with an arrow pointing to the right.

Tosti, who lives near Vancouver, Wash., thinks some of the people he calls the "left-lane offenders" simply are distracted and oblivious to the problems they are causing other motorists.

Others know exactly what they are doing, he said. "They are the self-appointed hall monitors of the freeways. :saywhat:

"They say, 'If the posted speed limit is 55 mph, then I have a constitutional right to drive 55 and everybody else is going to do it as well.' "

The left lane is for passing, said Lt. Tony Bradshaw of the State Highway Patrol, "but there is nothing that specifically says you can't be over there driving."

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/06/18/MOVEOVER.ART_ART_06-18-07_A1_S771C9G.html

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-22-07, 03:29 PM
'Keep Right' (http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html) laws by state.

Wow. There's your problem right there. Ever so slightly but important differences state-by-state with no real reason for being different. They are all trying to accomplish the same thing.

Then there are folks like me who learn to drive in Jersey from my mom and dad to learn to driven in Michigan and Iowa. And everybody drives in different states. I have to say (and I never say much nice about PA ;) ) theirlaw on the subject is clearest and best.

Don Quixote
06-22-07, 03:42 PM
Colorado has a road hog law, that you could be ticketed if you backed up a certain number of cars. It was mostly intended for rubberneckers in the mountains, but also applies to the highways. I have seen no evidence that this law was ever enforced once.

Also, there was some talk a year or two ago where a slower driver in the left lane could be charged with aggressive driving. This was to be invoked if, in the patrolman's judgement, the driver was driving slow in the left lane to try to control speeding drivers, i.e. taking the law into his own hands. This is the passive aggressive version of road rage. Again, I doubt if it was ever enforced this way.

cameraman
06-22-07, 05:26 PM
Here is Utah's version of the rules.

Do Not Drive in the Left Lane - the left lane on freeways is for passing only, unless there is heavy traffic. If another vehicle wants to pass you, you must move safely to the right, and you may not increase your speed until the other vehicle has passed you.

I drive in the left lane quite a bit because I get tired of constantly changing lanes on the two lane Interstates around here. Zigging in and out between semis is stupidly dangerous in my view. But I also watch my mirrors and I pull over for the idiots who are driving faster than me before they catch up to me. People going faster than me are a good thing in my view because they are +20 over and they distract the cops...

Joelski
06-22-07, 05:45 PM
Saw one at Petit LeMans a couple years ago that read "Slower traffic move right " with an arrow underneath. Chop and I got a chuckle out of that one... then we drank a beer.

Only one!!!

: shocked:

Gnam
06-22-07, 05:46 PM
People going faster than me are a good thing in my view because they are +20 over and they distract the cops...
Yes. It's always good to have a rabbit running ahead of you in case wolves are lurking.