PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing - Post Sopranos

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 12:48 PM
So what are you watching now? John from Cinncinati? Wierd show but Rebecca De Mornay still looks good. :thumbup:

G.
06-19-07, 12:57 PM
So what are you watching now? John from Cinncinati? Wierd show but Rebecca De Mornay still looks good. :thumbup:What the hell is John from Cincy about, other that actors getting a chance to drop more f-bombs that Deadwood?

And yes, Becky plays a GILF.

Rescue Me, but it seems to be running out of steam. We'll see, 1st epi was good.

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 01:25 PM
What the hell is John from Cincy about, other that actors getting a chance to drop more f-bombs that Deadwood?

And yes, Becky plays a GILF.

Rescue Me, but it seems to be running out of steam. We'll see, 1st epi was good.

I haven't a clue what it is about. I keep expecting to hear someone say, "Save the Chearleader Save the World" :laugh:

Joelski
06-19-07, 01:45 PM
I want to see Medellin when it comes out. :gomer:

Wally
06-19-07, 01:46 PM
Although my post Soprano deprssion is far from over...........Rescue Me...:thumbup:

SteveH
06-19-07, 01:48 PM
Not looking to replace the Sopranos. That was about the only series I followed on TV for the past several years. And it was so sporadic that I don't feel the need to replace it with anything. Besides it summer time, I only watch racing on it in the summer. Screw TV until the fall when football's back.

oddlycalm
06-19-07, 01:58 PM
'Entourage' just started a new season a month after ending the old one. Weird but welcome. :thumbup:

Tried watching 'Flight of the Conchords' and it put me to sleep. 'John From Cincitucky' has a good cast but doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. Can't imagine where they will go with 'Rescue Me' but I imagine it will involve half the characters being stupid drunk per usual.

In the competition for longest runnage 'Stargate SG1' bows out this week after 10yrs and 220 episodes. Can't imagine what I was doing that I missed 219 of them, but somebody was watching I guess...:gomer:

Anyway, it's summer and there is the nightly grilling ritual, hitting golf balls at my neighbors, cruising the cool evenings in the convertible and BBQ contests on the weekends.

oc

dando
06-19-07, 02:01 PM
So what are you watching now? John from Cinncinati? Wierd show but Rebecca De Mornay still looks good. :thumbup:

WNBA, yo. :gomer:

It's summer, get a life. :)

Actually I need to catch up on the first couple of epis for John from Cincy while I'm waiting for the Deadwood finale. :(

No love for Big Love? I never caught the first season, so I haven't bothered with season 2.

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 02:21 PM
WNBA, yo.

It's summer, get a life. :)

Actually I need to catch up on the first couple of epis for John from Cincy while I'm waiting for the Deadwood finale. :(

No love for Big Love? I never caught the first season, so I haven't bothered with season 2.

-Kevin

yo yo yo . . . shouldn't y'all be getting readfy for winter up there!! ;)

Yes, its summer, daily evening walks in the garden with a beer to pick some fresh veggies, . . . . .its a short walk. :D

Sunday evenings are for dad, me, to veg on the couch. Usually means watching the weekends DVR'd races, and whatever else. So far John from . . .

When does Deadwood start? I stopped watching after they offed Wild Bill.

Andrew Longman
06-19-07, 02:24 PM
What the hell is John from Cincy about, other that actors getting a chance to drop more f-bombs that Deadwood?.

All you really need to know from a surfin' Jersey guy that knows;) : http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/118163790775010.xml&coll=1

Elmo T
06-19-07, 02:41 PM
Waiting for "The Wire" to return... :thumbup:

Kahauna Dreamer
06-19-07, 03:15 PM
Beat me to it!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ankf00
06-19-07, 03:21 PM

Yes, its summer, daily evening walks in the garden with a beer to pick some fresh veggies, . . . . .its a short walk. :D

Sunday evenings are for dad, me, to veg on the couch. Usually means watching the weekends DVR'd races, and whatever else. So far John from . . .

mtn bike, whitewater, mtn bike, float, mtn bike, drink, bbq, grill, mtn bike, the pool, festivals, mtn bike, more bbq mmm...

Man vs. Wild should be priority #1 for you. If you don't Bear will come hunt you down the next time he's stranded in a desert, and roast you with the spit he built from survivorman's remains. :mad:

TravelGal
06-19-07, 03:25 PM
I'll let you know once I finish all the TiVo from May. Dang these long trips take their toll. :rofl:

dando
06-19-07, 03:55 PM

When does Deadwood start? I stopped watching after they offed Wild Bill.

Dude, it was 96 here yesterday....but it was a dry heat (that's what a drought will do for ya). :( First rain here in > 2 weeks, only the second rainfall in a month (for my part of town).

Anyway, Deadwood was cancelled, but they are supposed to wrap it up with two two-hour movies sometime this year. In HBOspeak that mean sometime next year. :\ Season 3 just recently came out on DVD, which is the last full season. John from Cincy is also by Milch, who created Deadwood (hence the f-bombs).

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 03:59 PM
Man vs. Wild . . .

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 04:01 PM
Dude, it was 96 here yesterday....but it was a dry heat (that's what a drought will do for ya). :( First rain here in > 2 weeks, only the second rainfall in a month (for my part of town).

Anyway, Deadwood was cancelled, but they are supposed to wrap it up with two two-hour movies sometime this year. In HBOspeak that mean sometime next year. :\ Season 3 just recently came out on DVD, which is the last full season. John from Cincy is also by Milch, who created Deadwood (hence the f-bombs).

-Kevin

Dry heat is for pansies. :p

G.
06-19-07, 04:57 PM
The Wire. The two "hitmen" give me the creeps. The politico stuff is great. Great show.

Man vs. Wild is great, and I would watch that before 90% of the other Dances With the Dealing Idols, or whatever the reality du jour is, but I wish they drop the pretense. It is NOT a "reality" show. When he slides down a mountain, or jumps into a snow crevasse, and three camers angles are there waiting for him, he didn't really fall. You know? But still :thumbup: .

At least with Dirty Jobs the guy every so often refers to his cameraman as having the real sucky job.

Getting free preview of the Military channel right now. Great stuff, just not worth another $15 or so to get it.

Turn7
06-19-07, 06:47 PM
Nothing.

That was easy since I never watched any episode of The Sopranos.:D

Ankf00
06-19-07, 07:35 PM
The WireMan vs. Wild is great, and I would watch that before 90% of the other Dances With the Dealing Idols, or whatever the reality du jour is, but I wish they drop the pretense. It is NOT a "reality" show. When he slides down a mountain, or jumps into a snow crevasse, and three camers angles are there waiting for him, he didn't really fall. You know? But still :thumbup: .

I see what you're saying. He has a couple of camera guys with him, highly trained themselves, but they don't help him with a thing, they just shoot film. plus they leave at night and return in the morning I believe, he always does his own filming at night.

"you want to avoid quicksand, because you will likely die if you fall into it. Here, let me show you by jumping into this pit of quicksand..."

and the glacial water bit was just ridiculous, after he climbs down a waterfall... I mean the man swam 100s of yards through freezing water between icebergs with no protective gear, no wetsuit, no drysuit... and I'd never try 1/2 the stuff he does b/c I like being alive :D

Classic Apex
06-19-07, 07:52 PM

Word. :thumbup:

Robstar
06-19-07, 10:41 PM
Saw the 1st Rescue Me... that looks pretty cool :thumbup:

Wally
06-21-07, 02:35 PM
Rescue Me.......

So people just who is in your Spank Bank?.........:laugh:

Insomniac
06-21-07, 03:30 PM
Rescue Me.......

So people just who is in your Spank Bank?.........:laugh:

Not Janet! ;)

Badger
06-21-07, 11:10 PM
I see what you're saying. He has a couple of camera guys with him, highly trained themselves, but they don't help him with a thing, they just shoot film. plus they leave at night and return in the morning I believe, he always does his own filming at night.

"you want to avoid quicksand, because you will likely die if you fall into it. Here, let me show you by jumping into this pit of quicksand..."

and the glacial water bit was just ridiculous, after he climbs down a waterfall... I mean the man swam 100s of yards through freezing water between icebergs with no protective gear, no wetsuit, no drysuit... and I'd never try 1/2 the stuff he does b/c I like being alive :D

Did you catch the one in Africa where he comes up to a dead zebra and starts eating it?:yuck: You gotta love the way he sinks his teeth into trout/salmon as well. Sushi ;) . The other similar show is Survivorman, and while he is hard core and films himself, I'll take the guy from Man vs Wild if I'm stuck somewhere. I've never seen survivorman catch anything to eat.

Wheel-Nut
06-22-07, 09:28 AM
I've seen survivorman trap a rat out in the Utah "outback". He kept talking about how it was still possible to catch the plague. :eek: So he cooked the thing to a crisp. He even ate the bones for breakfast - high in calcium.

dando
06-22-07, 05:12 PM
BTW, new season of Survivorman starts tonight. :thumbup:

-Kevin

cameraman
06-22-07, 05:49 PM
I've seen survivorman trap a rat out in the Utah "outback". He kept talking about how it was still possible to catch the plague. :eek:

#1 Hanta Virus
#2 Plague

Mice & voles can kill you around here...

Jag_Warrior
06-29-07, 11:23 AM
'Entourage' just started a new season a month after ending the old one. Weird but welcome. :thumbup:

Tried watching 'Flight of the Conchords' and it put me to sleep. 'John From Cincitucky' has a good cast but doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. Can't imagine where they will go with 'Rescue Me' but I imagine it will involve half the characters being stupid drunk per usual.

In the competition for longest runnage 'Stargate SG1' bows out this week after 10yrs and 220 episodes. Can't imagine what I was doing that I missed 219 of them, but somebody was watching I guess...:gomer:

Anyway, it's summer and there is the nightly grilling ritual, hitting golf balls at my neighbors, cruising the cool evenings in the convertible and BBQ contests on the weekends.

oc

With somewhat less enthusiasm than I had for The Sopranos, I watch Entourage and Big Love. The Enourage kids provide a good chuckle every Sunday night. And with Big Love, I wonder how a character, who is roughly my age, manages to score a (devoted) young cutie like Margene/Ginnifer Goodwin, who isn't "in it" just for the money. Yes, clearly TV fiction. :laugh:

Up until Apophis drew his final breath and Richard Dean Anderson began doing nothing more than guest appearances, I was a huge Stargate SG1 fan. The show, at one time, mixed great story telling along with dabs of historical perspective... and genuine subtle wit. But once the show jumped the shark, the writers seemed to be mailing it in: Hallowed be the Ori :rolleyes: (goofy, corny, cheesy). It was once an excellent show. But like MASH and certain other shows, it eventually overstayed its welcome.

So, in just a few months, most of the shows that I watched and liked have gone away. When I do watch episode TV now, it's usually old reruns from Chiller, Sleuth and SciFi Channel. The rest of the time (in hotels), I just have Speed Channel or CNBC/Bloomberg on as background.

indyfan31
07-03-07, 11:23 AM
Speaking of Dirty Jobs, did anyone happen to record the 100th episode or know when it'll be repeated? for some reason Tivo only caught an hour of the 2-hour special.

oddlycalm
07-05-07, 03:24 PM
I was a huge Stargate SG1 fan. The show, at one time, mixed great story telling along with dabs of historical perspective... and genuine subtle wit. Indeed..... ;)

As I recall I watched the first couple and wrote it off. I was oblivious to the fact that by season 2 they had really hit their stride or that they maintained that through season 8 when the personnel changes began to take their toll. A friend who is an expat living in Hong Kong has brought me up to speed and Netflix can do the rest.

oc

trish
07-15-07, 08:01 PM
Never watched Sopranos (no HBO), but if you're looking for something new to watch check out Ice Road Truckers. A new one is airing tonight at 10 ET.

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

extramundane
07-15-07, 09:02 PM
Never watched Sopranos (no HBO), but if you're looking for something new to watch check out Ice Road Truckers. A new one is airing tonight at 10 ET.

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

I started watching that last week...feels a lot like Deadliest Catch to me, which ain't bad at all.

indyfan31
07-16-07, 12:52 AM
Well, Eureka is back on, so the summer is a complete loss.

Insomniac
07-16-07, 08:21 AM
The USA Network shows Monk, Psych and Burn Notice aren't bad.

TKGAngel
07-16-07, 08:42 AM
I've been watching Big Brother, Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch this summer. I figure the last two outweigh the brain rot that the first one generates.

I was impressed with the "Behind the Scenes" episode of Deadliest Catch, showing just how much work and cost (all camera equipment ruined at the end of filming) goes into filming that show.

Gangrel
07-16-07, 10:49 AM
I've seen survivorman trap a rat out in the Utah "outback". He kept talking about how it was still possible to catch the plague. :eek: So he cooked the thing to a crisp. He even ate the bones for breakfast - high in calcium.

Yeah, but every week on that show, he goes on and on about what he doesn't want to get eaten by. That's great, except animal attacks are extremely rare. I am waiting for him to episode on how to survive if you get lost in some friend's suburban back yard. Watch out for those killer rabbits! :rolleyes:

Gangrel
07-16-07, 10:50 AM
The USA Network shows Monk, Psych and Burn Notice aren't bad.

Burn Notice is pretty good so far...I give it about 12 episodes before it gets old, though...

Gangrel
07-16-07, 10:51 AM
I've been watching Big Brother...

Dear God, Angel!!! It's already too late to save you, eh? ;)

TKGAngel
07-16-07, 11:06 AM
Dear God, Angel!!! It's already too late to save you, eh? ;)

I think so. :)

I forgot to mention Hell's Kitchen in my list. Gordon Ramsey's creativity with the f-word kills me.

G.
07-16-07, 11:41 AM
Been watching Shameless on the Sundance channel when I stumble upon it. Interesting, in that it uses bad words and stuff. Don't know what to think of it yet.

Not as good as Big Brother though.:laugh:

Shameless
Paul Abbott (TOUCHING EVIL; STATE OF PLAY), one of the leading scribes in contemporary British television, presents an innovative, gritty and profane comedy drama about a dysfunctional working-class family in northern England. For the six children of hapless Frank Gallagher (David Threlfall) it's "us against the world," which usually requires evading the authorities and bending the rules. Awarded a BAFTA (UK TV's Emmy®) for Best Dramatic Series.

http://www.sundancechannel.com/series/shameless

Gnam
07-16-07, 02:07 PM
Miami Vice (location, bad guys)
+ A-Team (help little guy, run from gov, falsely accused, make stuff)
+ Magnum P.I. (inner monologue)
+ MacGyver (more making stuff, more inner monologue)
+ Rockford Files (character list: leading man, group of disreputable friends, parental figure)
= Burn Notice :thumbup:

Like Bruce Campbell says, "I like it because it's not a doctor show, or a cop show, or a lawyer show." Agree 100%

Insomniac
07-16-07, 02:14 PM
I've been watching Big Brother

I think this is the first year I didn't watch it. I actually didn't even know it started. Kind of a relief. Not checking the web sites for minute-by-minute updates.

I'm not watching much at all this summer. It's kind of nice.

The 4400
The Dead Zone
Entourage
The Closer
Big Love
Rescue Me
Burn Notice
Monk
Psych

I also save Planet Earth and Threshold for the summer (SciFi aired all 13 episodes).

Insomniac
07-16-07, 02:18 PM
Miami Vice (location, bad guys)
+ A-Team (help little guy, run from gov, falsely accused, make stuff)
+ Magnum P.I. (inner monologue)
+ MacGyver (more making stuff, more inner monologue)
+ Rockford Files (character list: leading man, group of disreputable friends, parental figure)
= Burn Notice :thumbup:

Like Bruce Campbell says, "I like it because it's not a doctor show, or a cop show, or a lawyer show." Agree 100%

I'm always waiting for Bruce Campbell to kill a zombie. :)

coolhand
07-30-07, 02:06 AM
GRYLLS' THRILLS BOGUS: EXPERT

July 24, 2007 -- Discovery Channel he-man Bear Grylls, the host of the survival-skills show "Man vs. Wild," is barely the man he seems to be on TV.

On the program, Grylls appears to camp out in quickly-built shelters deep in the wilderness while battling hypothermia and dehydration. But when the cameras stop rolling, Grylls has actually moved to luxurious hotels.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007/news/nationalnews/grylls_thrills_bogus__expert_nationalnews_don_kapl an.htm

G.
09-23-07, 09:24 AM
The War, Tonight on PBS. Ken Burns' new documentory. I'm there in DVR.:thumbup: :thumbup:

trish
10-29-07, 09:45 PM
ABC has a new show called Samantha Who? that is pretty entertaining. It stars Christina Applegate.

Insomniac
10-29-07, 10:37 PM
ABC has a new show called Samantha Who? that is pretty entertaining. It stars Christina Applegate.

When I saw the first show, she reminded me of Jennifer Aniston for some reason.

indyfan31
10-30-07, 12:18 PM
Now that Eureka's gone into reruns for the year, I've been watching Pushing Daisies. I watch the thing like a dog that can't figure out what you did with the ball (head tilted). It's like Dr. Seuss wrote Edward Scissorhands.

Ankf00
10-30-07, 01:16 PM
It's like Dr. Seuss wrote Edward Scissorhands.

I was thinking Tim Burton + Dr. Seuss as well. Dig it.

Insomniac
10-30-07, 02:06 PM
It reminds me of Dead Like Me. I like these kind of weird/quirky shows and am happy that ABC picked it up for the whole season.

TKGAngel
10-30-07, 02:29 PM
I really like Dirty Sexy Money. Despite its campiness, its a really well-casted show, and it looks like the cast is having a ball filming it.

And Big Shots is good for nothing more than eye candy, although its weird seeing Josh Malina in a show that's not written by Aaron Sorkin.

TrueBrit
10-30-07, 02:44 PM
:D @ Indy for the description of Pushing Daisies...I find myself doing the same thing...

New stuff for me this season are Journeyman and Life on NBC. Both well acted (both lead actors are Brits - total coincidence I assure you ;) ) and interesting concepts and storylines...Plus the leading ladies are well shaggable..

TopGear on BBCAmerica on monday nights is a must see...those guys are out of their minds...

You might also want to check out their nightly newscast...BBC WorldNews America....

Racing Truth
10-30-07, 03:14 PM
:D @ Indy for the description of Pushing Daisies...I find myself doing the same thing...

New stuff for me this season are Journeyman and Life on NBC. Both well acted (both lead actors are Brits - total coincidence I assure you ;) ) and interesting concepts and storylines...Plus the leading ladies are well shaggable..

TopGear on BBCAmerica on monday nights is a must see...those guys are out of their minds...

You might also want to check out their nightly newscast...BBC WorldNews America....

Agreed on Life. Excellent show, with TWO "shaggable" ladies (the partner and his former attorney).:D

On Journeyman, I like it, but a show like that has inherent logical contradictions that bug me. Namely, aren't we, at some point, to expect a visit to his present self from his future self? And, of course, there's the idea that changing one thing will have a TON of unintended consequences on the whole time-space equillibrium.

Also to note, the "Bionic Woman" is also a Brit. Not sure what I think of the show, but, uhh, Michelle Ryan's hot, so I keep watching.:thumbup:

Was glad to see BBC America make 7:00 newscast a full hr.

KLang
10-30-07, 04:19 PM
I've been watching, or at least recording, Journeyman, Bionic Women and Chuck.

All three have nice babes. :thumbup:

I don't really expect any of them to make it past this season. It's hard to become attached to a show when it's likely to simply disappear.

stroker
10-30-07, 05:36 PM
Gray's Anatomy while waiting for BSG to start. I try to catch The Unit but it's up against House. Tough call.

Elmo T
10-30-07, 06:18 PM
I normally loath sci-fi, it was just never my thing. I have recently gotten sucked into Torchwood on BBC America. It is hard to explain: a little X-Files, some CSI thrown in, with a British sense of humor.

Still waiting for The Wire...

stroker
10-30-07, 08:17 PM
I normally loath sci-fi, it was just never my thing. I have recently gotten sucked into Torchwood on BBC America. It is hard to explain: a little X-Files, some CSI thrown in, with a British sense of humor.

Still waiting for The Wire...

I saw the premier of Torchwood. It was pretty good.

"CSI Cardiff" indeed... <snorf>

Insomniac
10-30-07, 11:07 PM
Chuck tops my list for new shows. Reaper has some funny moments.

I bailed on Private Practice (didn't care for it before, and watching one episode sealed it) Dirty Sexy Money (kind of boring/lame after 3 weeks) and Big Shots (15 mins in I stopped watching it).

TravelGal
10-31-07, 02:27 AM
Of the ones we've tried, Life tops the list.

Can decide if Journeyman is here or there. heheheh. Seriously, Quantum Leap meets the Pretender with no interesting back story. Hmmmm.

edit: But BURN NOTICE=Super. I find myself talking like they do. Fi, "Shall I shoot him?!" Excellent stuff.

TrueBrit
10-31-07, 10:58 AM
I saw the premier of Torchwood. "CSI Cardiff" indeed... <snorf>

:laugh: I had a good giggle about that one too!

Nice lesbo snog in the 2nd episode...:thumbup:

G.
10-31-07, 11:08 AM
Nice lesbo snog in the 2nd episode...:thumbup:Hey, she was working the CASE!

:eek:

Gnam
12-12-07, 05:30 PM
Knight Rider Returns (http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/12/knight_rider_premiere_set_arne.php)

NBC has set Feb. 17 as the premiere date for its two-hour “Knight Rider” revamp.
Those mirrors will never work :p

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9212/kittgx1.jpg

G.
01-06-08, 10:04 PM
THE WIRE!!!!!!!

Game on!

(btw, Smash Lab is a cross between Mythbusters and Speed Freaks. THEY ARE CHARACTERS! BAM! BOOM!)

SteveH
01-06-08, 10:09 PM
American Gladiators :gomer:

Sean Malone
01-06-08, 10:35 PM
Knight Rider (switching to a Ford?), American Gladiator and a new Rambo movie coming out soon...it's the freakin' 80's all over again. And they say Hollywood has run out of ideas!!

I saw Mr T on a commercial during the game today...must mean a new A Team. :gomer:

emjaya
01-07-08, 09:07 AM
I read in the paper today, Kung-Fu (the series) is being remade. To be filmed in China. :\

Stu
01-07-08, 11:32 AM
American Gladiators :gomer:

watching with a group of friends, making fun of the contestants, the cheesiness, how many times hogan says brother, and all the manly looking woman. :thumbup:

watching alone :thumdown:

Insomniac
01-07-08, 12:54 PM
Knight Rider (switching to a Ford?), American Gladiator and a new Rambo movie coming out soon...it's the freakin' 80's all over again. And they say Hollywood has run out of ideas!!

I saw Mr T on a commercial during the game today...must mean a new A Team. :gomer:

That Mr. T commercial is funny.

Maybe Mr. T hacked the game and created a Mohawk class. Maybe Mr. T is pretty handy with computers. Did that occur to you Mr. Condescending Director?

bqJE5TH5jhc

High Sided
01-07-08, 03:29 PM
the new terminator series looks like one to watch.

KLang
01-07-08, 03:43 PM
the new terminator series looks like one to watch.

I'm going to give it a try. Starts this Sunday and Monday I think.

Gnam
02-19-08, 08:56 PM
Watched the Knight Rider show on Sunday. Parts were watchable but I hit the WTF? button a lot. No Turbo Boost, WTF?

How long before KITT goes to Iraq? :gomer:

oddlycalm
02-19-08, 09:35 PM
Both "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" on AMC have been excellent. The pilot of "Breaking Bad" is still being repeated. About as original a plot line get.
Breaking Bad (http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/)

oc

Wheel-Nut
03-12-08, 05:57 PM
This dude is good. NSFW . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42axiDq9RLM

Jag_Warrior
03-14-08, 10:33 PM
The Wire

That show had an amazingly talented group of writers. All I could say by the ending credits last week was, "Dayuum!"

Jag_Warrior
03-14-08, 10:35 PM
Both "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" on AMC have been excellent. The pilot of "Breaking Bad" is still being repeated. About as original a plot line get.
Breaking Bad (http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/)

oc

"Mad Men" is also great TV. Very smart writing. I haven't managed to catch "Breaking Bad". I need to search and set it up on a Season Pass on Tivo.

TKGAngel
03-15-08, 03:52 PM
Deadliest Catch is back on April 15th.

oddlycalm
03-15-08, 05:21 PM
"Mad Men" is also great TV. Very smart writing. I haven't managed to catch "Breaking Bad". I need to search and set it up on a Season Pass on Tivo. They are re-airing the entire series of 'Breaking Bad' starting this Sunday 3/16. Great dark comedy. :thumbup:

Gotta agree on 'The Wire' as well. First rate.

oc

Insomniac
03-15-08, 08:56 PM
They are re-airing the entire series of 'Breaking Bad' starting this Sunday 3/16. Great dark comedy. :thumbup:

Gotta agree on 'The Wire' as well. First rate.

oc

Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to check that show out. Too bad AMC isn't in HD. :(

G.
07-11-08, 04:28 PM
"Generation Kill" on HBO. From "The Wire" team.

Long preview at link.

(lots of bad words in video, really, NSFW)
Gen Kill (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/07/the-unflinching.html)

Sergeant Eric Kocher, a longtime 1st Recon Marine who served as a consultant on the series, said in the same call that he found “Generation Kill” to be more realistic than most Hollywood movies about war.

“It’s not a bunch of guys jumping on grenades, saving each other,” Kocher said.

No, “Generation Kill” is something far more complex and unsettling than that. And it’s as addictive and absorbing, in its own way, as “The Wire.” Both programs stick around in your brain long after the credits roll. Both shows are deeply compassionate toward people on the front lines of complicated conflicts, and make you think hard about difficult questions that it would be more convenient to ignore.

It takes the men of Bravo Company an episode or two to truly get into the action, but when they do, “Generation Kill” depicts the randomness of battle with stomach-rattling vividness.

extramundane
07-11-08, 05:05 PM
Now that I'm fully caught up on back episodes, I'm convinced that Weeds is the funniest and smartest-written show in recent TV history. Kevin Nealon's 1000x funnier than he ever was on SNL and Mary Louise Parker's smoking. :thumbup:

And, god help me, the missus has me hooked on Flipping Out (http://www.bravotv.com/Flipping_Out/season/2/index.php). I don't want to watch...but I can't look away either. :\

G.
07-12-08, 02:23 AM
Now that I'm fully caught up on back episodes, I'm convinced that Weeds is the funniest and smartest-written show in recent TV history. Kevin Nealon's 1000x funnier than he ever was on SNL and Mary Louise Parker's smoking. :thumbup:
WEEDS rox.

Her EYES. So expressive.

And, god help me, the missus has me hooked on Flipping Out (http://www.bravotv.com/Flipping_Out/season/2/index.php). I don't want to watch...but I can't look away either. :\
yer a girl.

Girl!

:p
(I'll have to check it out)

racermike
07-15-08, 09:32 PM
1st episode of "Generation Kill" started on sunday night on HBO

I read the book last fall, and am liking what I see so far in the miniseries based upon it. The first episodes title is "Get Some".

nrc
07-16-08, 12:45 AM
1st episode of "Generation Kill" started on sunday night on HBO

I read the book last fall, and am liking what I see so far in the miniseries based upon it. The first episodes title is "Get Some".

I enjoyed it. I think 'Grrl developed a mild case of testosterone poisoning.

G.
07-16-08, 12:39 PM
Doctor Horrible's Sing-Alng Blog

Joss Whedon's writer's strike project. Catch Act 1 now, it'll be free until tomorrow, when 2 comes out.

If you liked the Buffy The Vampire Slayers musical episode, then you may like this.

Act 1 isn't really that great, IMO, but it does show the future of veiwing entertainment.

drhorrible.com

And now to answers a few Frequently (soon to be) Asked Questions:

1) Why, Joss? Why? Why now, why free, why us?

Once upon a time, all the writers in the forest got very mad with the Forest Kings and declared a work-stoppage. The forest creatures were all sad; the mushrooms did not dance, the elderberries gave no juice for the festival wines, and the Teamsters were kinda pissed. (They were very polite about it, though.) During this work-stoppage, many writers tried to form partnerships for outside funding to create new work that circumvented the Forest King system.

Frustrated with the lack of movement on that front, I finally decided to do something very ambitious, very exciting, very mid-life-crisisy. Aided only by everyone I had worked with, was related to or had ever met, I single-handedly created this unique little epic. A supervillain musical, of which, as we all know, there are far too few.

The idea was to make it on the fly, on the cheap – but to make it. To turn out a really thrilling, professionalish piece of entertainment specifically for the internet. To show how much could be done with very little. To show the world there is another way. To give the public (and in particular you guys) something for all your support and patience. And to make a lot of silly jokes. Actually, that sentence probably should have come first.

oddlycalm
07-16-08, 04:09 PM
WEEDS rox.

Her EYES. So expressive.

You musta loved 'Angels In America' though I expect you weren't looking at her eyes....

oc

dando
07-16-08, 05:00 PM
You musta loved 'Angels In America' though I expect you weren't looking at her eyes....

oc

Can I be reincarnated as a snake? :D

http://hrudu.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/59150.jpg

:thumbup:

-Kevin

nrc
07-16-08, 05:58 PM
Can I be reincarnated as a snake? :D
:thumbup:

-Kevin
Careful what you wish for...
http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/misc/m-snake1.jpg

oddlycalm
07-17-08, 12:23 PM
Those that liked AMC's 'Mad Men' and FX's 'Damages' are in good company as they led in the number of emmy nominations announced today. The cable channel shows took most of the nominations with the broadcast networks sneaking in a few sitcom nominations.

oc

Insomniac
07-18-08, 11:30 AM
Those that liked AMC's 'Mad Men' and FX's 'Damages' are in good company as they led in the number of emmy nominations announced today. The cable channel shows took most of the nominations with the broadcast networks sneaking in a few sitcom nominations.

oc

I didn't think Damages was that good. Mad Men, yes. Anyone watching Burn Notice?

G.
07-18-08, 11:45 AM

oc
The Wire gets one nod.

FAIL.

Gnam
07-18-08, 12:17 PM
Anyone watching Burn Notice?

I can neither confirm nor deny that. :cool:

TravelGal
07-18-08, 01:52 PM
Anyone watching Burn Notice?

Love it. Although the flat "I've had it with this" tone of voice seems to be lacking this year. Perhaps it's because they have apparently added an extreme hottie to the cast as the hero's tormentor. Maybe Fi will get to shoot her by the end.

What, no love for Dexter? Coolest, creepiest show on TV. Somehow the viewer ends up routing for a serial killer.

TKGAngel
07-18-08, 02:13 PM
I'm probably the only person here that watches it, but Project Runway is back on. I'm continually amazed at the creativity shown by the designers on that show.

TravelGal
07-18-08, 02:58 PM
I'm probably the only person here that watches it, but Project Runway is back on. I'm continually amazed at the creativity shown by the designers on that show.

Surfed by it last night. I know I'd love it but TravelGuy might be another story. This summer he is suffering through all the movies I want to see so maybe I'll wait to ask...................

oddlycalm
07-18-08, 03:21 PM
Surfed by it last night. I know I'd love it but TravelGuy might be another story. This summer he is suffering through all the movies I want to see so maybe I'll wait to ask................... This is why we are a two DVR family...;) My wife is a history buff but my tolerance for the slow panning of old photographs has limits. It also protects her from the kind of testosterone poisoning nrc referred to. :D

oc

Insomniac
07-18-08, 03:32 PM
Love it. Although the flat "I've had it with this" tone of voice seems to be lacking this year. Perhaps it's because they have apparently added an extreme hottie to the cast as the hero's tormentor. Maybe Fi will get to shoot her by the end.

What, no love for Dexter? Coolest, creepiest show on TV. Somehow the viewer ends up routing for a serial killer.

Dexter is a great show. Season 3 doesn't start until the fall. Not much to talk about until then.

Also, this show has long been over, but HDNet airs Dead Like Me now. That was a show I enjoyed when it was on Showtime.

TravelGal
07-18-08, 08:38 PM
Dexter is a great show. Season 3 doesn't start until the fall. Not much to talk about until then.

Also, this show has long been over, but HDNet airs Dead Like Me now. That was a show I enjoyed when it was on Showtime.

Now there ya go, being reasonable. Forgot it wasn't on now when I saw the Emmy nominations.

How about "Life"? We like that although a bit slow sometimes. The Xen of police work.

Insomniac
07-18-08, 09:30 PM
Now there ya go, being reasonable. Forgot it wasn't on now when I saw the Emmy nominations.

How about "Life"? We like that although a bit slow sometimes. The Xen of police work.

I like Life. I'm glad it's coming back. For once, I think nothing I like was cancelled. And Scrubs even is moving to ABC (instead of being cancelled)! Saw a preview for Heroes on NBC. Looks like there will be a lot of action.

TKGAngel
07-19-08, 01:43 PM
Saw a preview for Heroes on NBC. Looks like there will be a lot of action.

So much action that the season premiere is going to be 3 hours. The first hour is a summary episode of what happened so far, and will be followed by the actual 2-hour episode.