PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing - Post Sopranos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

stroker
09-23-21, 06:49 AM
My 13 y.o. daughter and I were walking in Wal-Mart. She thrust a "Blue Bloods" DVD case in my face and asked, "Why do people think he's (Tom Selleck) handsome?" I told her about the "Magnum" days and then realized BB has been on the air for 11 years. I figured they must be doing something right so I checked the library and they had the DVD's. We started watching Season 1 and now she's hooked.

The plots are solved over-conveniently a lot of times, but the writing is, on balance, pretty good for network TV, IMHO.

TravelGal
09-24-21, 10:55 AM
My 13 y.o. daughter and I were walking in Wal-Mart. She thrust a "Blue Bloods" DVD case in my face and asked, "Why do people think he's (Tom Selleck) handsome?" I told her about the "Magnum" days and then realized BB has been on the air for 11 years. I figured they must be doing something right so I checked the library and they had the DVD's. We started watching Season 1 and now she's hooked.

The plots are solved over-conveniently a lot of times, but the writing is, on balance, pretty good for network TV, IMHO.

Blue Bloods was one of TravelGuy's "must see TV" shows. I liked the cast but the last cop show I watched was Hill Street Blues. Hey at least I didn't say Dragnet. Got stuck on the 3-hour cross over the FBI's shows this week. Pretty good. I may have to start recording all three. Looking forward to the CSI Vegas. Good to see William Petersen and Jorja Fox picking up where they left off. Hilarious line in the trailer when she says to him, "First day jitters?"

TKGAngel
09-25-21, 10:49 AM
Blue Bloods was one of TravelGuy's "must see TV" shows. I liked the cast but the last cop show I watched was Hill Street Blues. Hey at least I didn't say Dragnet. Got stuck on the 3-hour cross over the FBI's shows this week. Pretty good. I may have to start recording all three. Looking forward to the CSI Vegas. Good to see William Petersen and Jorja Fox picking up where they left off. Hilarious line in the trailer when she says to him, "First day jitters?"

I started watching FBI Most Wanted last season. It's pretty good, but a warning that some of the villains-of-the-week and their crimes really hit the top of the creepy meter.

I cannot wait for the new season of Yellowstone in November. An 18 month gap between seasons with one hell of cliffhanger is just mean.

TravelGal
09-25-21, 12:46 PM
I started watching FBI Most Wanted last season. It's pretty good, but a warning that some of the villains-of-the-week and their crimes really hit the top of the creepy meter.

I cannot wait for the new season of Yellowstone in November. An 18 month gap between seasons with one hell of cliffhanger is just mean.

FBI Most Wanted was the only one I watched also but to get the story this week, I had to figure out how to watch all 3 in order. It was absolutely the best cross-over I have ever seen on any set of shows. Usually the actors are stuck in for a few awkward scenes but all 3 shows' actors were integral to all three shows. I agree about the villains. This week's subject of under age sex trafficking was pretty tough (especially since one of my favorite actors played the villain) but it's a subject people should be more aware of it. It's not just a TV show. It's so common, airline crews are trained to be alert for it. :(

TedN
10-25-21, 06:41 PM
Now that Succession and Curb Your Enthusiasm have started their new seasons, all is good in the world.

:thumbup:

WickerBill
11-17-21, 12:26 PM
I'm one season in to Yellowstone - also one day into it, if that tells you how much I got sucked in - and seriously contemplating taking some PTO to get caught up. I don't watch much TV other than sports and car shows, but really enjoying this one.

stroker
11-18-21, 08:45 AM
Yellowstone's almost worth watching just for the scenery. I have talked to a friend who hated it because she despised Costner's character so much, though.

Elmo T
12-07-21, 11:21 AM
Didn't see any threads talking about the new Beatles special on Disney+. Thoughts?

I could have watched the 10 hour rough cut I heard Peter Jackson discussing. The show looks great. They did a solid job piecing together audio only with appropriate video - a few times I noticed what seemed like a loop or two of the same video.

The video enhancement really does make it look HD without looking like CGI.

The story as shown doesn't match anything I've read or seen previously. Tension and bad feelings at times sure. Not unexpected. But animosity - nope. Yoko hate - didn't seem so or they kept in line due to the cameras. Interesting see their individual dynamics to one another.

Creatively, it was fascinating to watch them work out the songs. From just a riff to more well developed concepts - then onto a finished tune.

SteveH
12-07-21, 02:46 PM
I was blown away. I saw Let It Be in it’s theatrical release in 1970. This time it’s an entirely different narrative on almost every level. Watching them collaborate and create a song out of nothing was nothing short of magical. There was a very definite connection between Lennon and McCartney. The quality of the video and audio was top notch. No surprise, Jackson had some experience with this A Few Thoughts on the Authenticity of Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” (https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/a-few-thoughts-on-the-authenticity-of-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old)

I most likely will view this again. And it is rumored that there will be a much longer version available for purchase, I assume BluRay. I’d consider purchasing the entire 50+ hours if that were available, actually.

RaceGrrl
12-10-21, 11:29 PM
We don't have Netflix, but this is one special I'd like to see. If it's going to be released on BluRay, I'll just wait until then to get it.

SteveH
12-11-21, 09:07 AM
We don't have Netflix, but this is one special I'd like to see. If it's going to be released on BluRay, I'll just wait until then to get it.

Get Back is only available on Disney +

TravelGal
12-14-21, 03:01 PM
Get Back is only available on Disney +

So far, but Disney never misses a chance to turn a buck. Wait til next year when it's the first anniversary with scenes not shown before and on sale for $29.99. ;)

SteveH
12-14-21, 05:57 PM
There are rumors of an expanded Blu-ray/DVD to be released. Possibly 10 hours of content.

nrc
12-14-21, 11:27 PM
That reminds me, I saw that the Netflix Marvel series were finally for sale on Amazon. Start with Jessica Jones?

SteveH
01-06-22, 02:14 PM
There are rumors of an expanded Blu-ray/DVD to be released. Possibly 10 hours of content.

Not Blu-ray or DVD IMAX!

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/status/1478728001068036097?s=20

RaceGrrl
01-09-22, 12:51 AM
I was blown away. I saw Let It Be in it’s theatrical release in 1970. This time it’s an entirely different narrative on almost every level. Watching them collaborate and create a song out of nothing was nothing short of magical. There was a very definite connection between Lennon and McCartney. The quality of the video and audio was top notch. No surprise, Jackson had some experience with this A Few Thoughts on the Authenticity of Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” (https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/a-few-thoughts-on-the-authenticity-of-peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old)

I most likely will view this again. And it is rumored that there will be a much longer version available for purchase, I assume BluRay. I’d consider purchasing the entire 50+ hours if that were available, actually.

We watched the first episode of this tonight, and I was very emotional and even shed some tears when Paul was working on Let It Be. You're right- it was magical. To get to observe at work a band that I grew up listening to, have loved and admired through the years is such a special thing.

G.
01-11-22, 03:17 AM
That reminds me, I saw that the Netflix Marvel series were finally for sale on Amazon. Start with Jessica Jones?

They don't give Krysten Ritter very much leeway to act, but her butt is a great actress! Lotta range there.

SteveH
01-27-22, 04:37 PM
Beatles’ Full Rooftop Concert Headed to Streaming Services

Read More: Beatles' Full Rooftop Concert Headed to Streaming Services | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-rooftop-concert-streaming/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

More details here
https://www.thebeatles.com/beatles-get-back-rooftop-performance-0

The Beatles: Get Back to be issued on blu-ray & DVD (https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-get-back-to-be-issued-on-blu-ray-and-dvd/)

Pilgrims Drop
01-31-22, 10:39 AM
Yellowstone's almost worth watching just for the scenery. I have talked to a friend who hated it because she despised Costner's character so much, though.
Yellowstone is good, 1883 is better

G.
02-04-22, 03:41 AM
For stupid fun, John Cena as Peacemaker on HBOMax.

It has the best opening credits scene since Fresh Prince. Or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

And the 80's Hairband Metal in every show grabs me everytime. Faster *****cat, Blue Murder, Hanoi Rocks, plus the Crüe and the usual suspects.

(OK, let's call them Faster "Kitty"cat.)

SteveH
02-04-22, 09:13 AM
Yeah, that opening is :laugh:

TravelGal
02-12-22, 06:03 PM
Loved the opening but any show that doesn't have more than f**k for the dialog loses me after about 15 minutes. I turned it off. Did it get any different?

WickerBill
02-12-22, 07:38 PM
Yellowstone is good, 1883 is better

I'm six episodes in, and I'm going to disagree for now. Sam Elliott is great, Tim McGraw is... fine, Faith Hill isn't good, and good grief Taylor Sheridan you had all that incredible tornado scenery and THAT'S what you did? Get on with the story man.

stroker
02-13-22, 10:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but I'll throw this out to the gallery for consideration.

I've been thinking for many years now (more since "Wind River") that the Native American population need a movie or series of their own. Not "Dances with Wolves"-ish but something set before 1490. I have to believe there's a legend in NA culture of similar cultural/spiritual importance roughly analogous to Arthurian/Biblical legend. Not a comparable story, mind you, but something really fundamental that would speak to the tribes about who and what they are. I have no idea what it might be, but there has to be some story that's cross-tribal, something similar to the way "Black Elk Speaks" (an excellent book which everyone should read) works for most native Americans.

Anyway, I'd nominate Taylor Sheridan to direct that movie, if it ever came to pass.

RaceGrrl
02-13-22, 11:57 AM
Slightly off topic, but I'll throw this out to the gallery for consideration.

I've been thinking for many years now (more since "Wind River") that the Native American population need a movie or series of their own. Not "Dances with Wolves"-ish but something set before 1490. I have to believe there's a legend in NA culture of similar cultural/spiritual importance roughly analogous to Arthurian/Biblical legend. Not a comparable story, mind you, but something really fundamental that would speak to the tribes about who and what they are. I have no idea what it might be, but there has to be some story that's cross-tribal, something similar to the way "Black Elk Speaks" (an excellent book which everyone should read) works for most native Americans.

Anyway, I'd nominate Taylor Sheridan to direct that movie, if it ever came to pass.

I'd love to see a film made about the Shawnee leader, Tecumseh. Richard and I grew up in Chillicothe (Shawnee name Chawlagatha) in the Scioto Valley in southern Ohio- an area that was Shawnee hunting land and home to the village where Tecumseh was born. His story is fascinating- he fought the incursion of settlers into the Northwest Territory/Ohio Valley and succeeded, after years of travel and diplomacy, to unite many tribes against the US Government with a plan to prevent further loss of land. His brother was his spokesperson and prophet while Tecumseh was traveling to unite all the tribes against the invaders. Tenswkatawa's actions and loss of a battle resulted in the loss of part of the alliance. After that defeat, Tecumseh was forced to fight with the warriors he had left and united with the British to fight in the War of 1812. He died at the Battle of the Thames. There is great respect in our part of the state for who Tecumseh was and what he accomplished. I wish more people knew about him.

SteveH
02-13-22, 08:29 PM
Jamie-Lynn Sigler electrifies iconic 'Sopranos' opener in Chevy Super Bowl ad (https://mashable.com/video/chevy-silverado-ev-sopranos-super-bowl)

Watch carefully at the end. On the leader board for best commercial but it’s not even half time.

stroker
02-13-22, 11:32 PM
I'd love to see a film made about the Shawnee leader, Tecumseh. Richard and I grew up in Chillicothe (Shawnee name Chawlagatha) in the Scioto Valley in southern Ohio- an area that was Shawnee hunting land and home to the village where Tecumseh was born. His story is fascinating- he fought the incursion of settlers into the Northwest Territory/Ohio Valley and succeeded, after years of travel and diplomacy, to unite many tribes against the US Government with a plan to prevent further loss of land. His brother was his spokesperson and prophet while Tecumseh was traveling to unite all the tribes against the invaders. Tenswkatawa's actions and loss of a battle resulted in the loss of part of the alliance. After that defeat, Tecumseh was forced to fight with the warriors he had left and united with the British to fight in the War of 1812. He died at the Battle of the Thames. There is great respect in our part of the state for who Tecumseh was and what he accomplished. I wish more people knew about him.

And Geronimo and Crazy Horse. But I'd like to see something with no involvement whatsoever with Europeans...

SteveH
02-13-22, 11:44 PM
A ‘Sopranos’ Expert Analyzes Chevy’s Meadow and AJ Super Bowl Commercial (https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/sopranos-super-bowl-ad-commercial-1299610/)

datachicane
02-14-22, 10:44 PM
And Geronimo and Crazy Horse. But I'd like to see something with no involvement whatsoever with Europeans...

The tough thing is that most of those stories and the cultures that created them were systematically wiped out. That was pretty much the entire point of the Indian Schools.

TravelGal
02-15-22, 12:02 PM
The tough thing is that most of those stories and the cultures that created them were systematically wiped out. That was pretty much the entire point of the Indian Schools.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I love Stroker's idea. Not a dull docuseries, or any documentary. Simply a story. It seems impossible. Even character in Ghosts, Sasappis, can't seem to have a decent back story.

stroker
02-17-22, 05:23 PM
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I love Stroker's idea. Not a dull docuseries, or any documentary. Simply a story. It seems impossible. Even character in Ghosts, Sasappis, can't seem to have a decent back story.

FYI
https://cowgirlmagazine.com/kevin-costners-new-indigenous-history-docuseries/?fbclid=IwAR1tbcKIGIazWrauE9QGA9f_To3aJsOapxyeQCUa 2Ao1jzR_tqfU9SjsDwA

TravelGal
02-17-22, 07:59 PM
FYI
https://cowgirlmagazine.com/kevin-costners-new-indigenous-history-docuseries/?fbclid=IwAR1tbcKIGIazWrauE9QGA9f_To3aJsOapxyeQCUa 2Ao1jzR_tqfU9SjsDwA

Heaven help me. I can't STAND Kevin Costner. I don't know if I'm glad he's doing this or not. But thank you for alerting me. :confused:

WickerBill
02-20-22, 04:24 PM
Heaven help me. I can't STAND Kevin Costner.

Let's hear the story...

TravelGal
02-20-22, 07:38 PM
Let's hear the story...

Nothing juicy. Sorry to disappoint. I just think he's a total doofus. I thought he played himself in Dances with Wolves. A dumba$$ running around, not knowing what he's doing. Then, over the years, I've met several people who worked with him on films who said he was a total I'll use the word jerk but they used a different similarly sounding word ending in "k." I have seen a few later films where I thought he was good and the interviews at the Field of Dreams game gave him a human face so either he's improved with age or just knows how to cover up his real personality better. That's damning with faint praise if I ever did it.

G.
02-20-22, 11:33 PM

Native Americans didn't have a common written language, which makes it tough to tell legends and "epic poems". Their petroglyphs and pictograms didn't seem to tell long tales, they were just short comments. I'm sure some longer tales exist somewhere.

I'd love to see some historical fiction on the screen about the Cahokia Mounds. In the 1300's it just kind of faded away.

At its peak between roughly 1050 and 1150, Cahokia was the largest urban center for the Mississippian people, a Native American civilization made up of many peoples that spanned from the Upper Midwest to the Gulf of Mexico and to the Appalachian Mountains. Anywhere from 10,000 to 20,000 people lived in Cahokia, making it larger than London during the same period.

https://interactive.wttw.com/beyond-chicago-from-the-air/earthen-mounds-reveal-once-sprawling-native-american-city-in-illinois

G.
02-23-22, 07:15 PM
Loved the opening but any show that doesn't have more than f**k for the dialog loses me after about 15 minutes. I turned it off. Did it get any different?

Nah, Like I said, "stupid fun". Very subjective.

A couple of running gags/themes consist of Peacemaker Cena ripping into coworkers/friends and being a complete bully. f-bombs abound.
He also has his origin story via flashbacks that explain why he's such a bully.
And the 80's metal songs.

But maybe he has found redemption. Tune into season 2...

WickerBill
02-25-22, 10:21 AM
I realize once again I'm four seasons behind, but anyone watch Ozark?

stroker
02-27-22, 08:42 AM

Haven't seen it but there are a lot of fans here in Missouri, per the morning drive time radio programs... There was a State Representative on and she complained of the "Hollywood-ing" of the state gambling laws, so take it with a grain of skepticism.

WickerBill
02-27-22, 03:58 PM
so take it with a grain of skepticism.

It's funny that's what she took umbrage with. :D

I'm taking it as fiction. Protagonist would have died in episode 1 if it were real.

G.
03-01-22, 02:34 AM

Haven't seen it but there are a lot of fans here in Missouri, per the morning drive time radio programs... There was a State Representative on and she complained of the "Hollywood-ing" of the state gambling laws, so take it with a grain of skepticism.

It's funny that's what she took umbrage with. :D

I'm taking it as fiction. Protagonist would have died in episode 1 if it were real.

It's well over-the-top, but in a fun rollercoaster way.

It's not a spoiler to say that Bateman is laundering money, but I think by now he has told half of Missouri that he is doing so. Protagonist would have died in episode one, two, three, four, five...
Wait for the roadie talking into the phone, "Hey Kevin, this guy wants to launder $100 grand. You OK with that?" Way funnier if you know the real Kevin and his coworkers backstory.

It moves quickly, and binging is the way to go, IMO.

Suspend reality and enjoy the ride!

Julia Garner is fantastic as the, I dunno,. The RUTH of the show. She is quite quotable if you can keep up with her. She carries the main load of f-bombs for the show. "I don't know s*** about f***!" Wise words, indeed. :laugh:

And if the politician is complaining about how they portrayed the gambling licenses, that means that the writers got it 100% correct.

SteveH
07-17-22, 10:05 AM
THE LAST MOVIE STARS
https://www.hbomax.com/series/the-last-movie-stars

The Last Movie Stars is a six-part documentary from CNN Films and HBO Max that chronicles Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward’s iconic careers and decades-long partnership. Director Ethan Hawke brings life and color to this definitive history of their dedication to their art, philanthropy, and each other. Academy Award-winning director, writer, and producer Martin Scorsese serves as executive producer.

-lJpu8l5BTc

TravelGal
07-19-22, 01:01 PM
SIX PARTS? I liked PLN but SIX PARTS? I don't really need to know what they had for breakfast each and every day. OK, I'll have a look if I can get it with my cable HBO max but not to pay extra. SIX PARTS????

SteveH
07-21-22, 09:22 AM
SIX PARTS? I liked PLN but SIX PARTS? I don't really need to know what they had for breakfast each and every day. OK, I'll have a look if I can get it with my cable HBO max but not to pay extra. SIX PARTS????

Unless you have a Chicago Tribune subscription you won't be able to read their review of The Last Movie Stars
https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/michael-phillips/sc-ent-last-movie-stars-paul-newman-hbo-20220721-dil6oejsvfafdjiffyyvplwqei-story.html

but this may be all you need

Millions knew them, especially him, without knowing anything about the inner workings of their partnership. Defined by the 15 films they made together, several with Newman directing his wife, they became the industry bench mark for relationship success. Other famous couples fell apart. They stayed coupled. “But it hasn’t been easy,” Woodward once told an interviewer. “I don’t think any valid relationship is.”

“The Last Movie Stars,” premiering July 21 on HBO Max, does an extraordinary job of revealing the other side of the facade, without fawning or tidy summaries of judgment. It’s six of the most irresistible hours of TV I’ve seen this year.

TravelGal
07-23-22, 02:12 PM
Yeah, maybe. The only reason I soften at all is that I've got stuck into The Captain. Not being a Yankee fan or a Jeter fan, I had no intention of watching it but I happened on the last part of the first ep and was enthralled just watching great moments in baseball. Moments I remember! It's a pleasant way to pass the evenings of summer so this may be too.

SteveH
07-23-22, 04:52 PM
http://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1550946674197004289

TravelGal
07-25-22, 09:25 AM
http://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1550946674197004289

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

nrc
07-30-22, 02:50 PM
We've been binge watching The Expanse. The first season was a bit slow as they introduced all the main characters and factions, but it has been great since then. They've done an excellent job of avoiding many of the pitfalls of modern TV series. I'm guessing that's because they've stuck to the books that its based on, but I haven't read them so I don't know.

Spoiler from Season 5 ahead!

The first misstep was at the end of Season 5 when they abruptly and very awkwardly wrote out one of the main characters. I checked and, sure enough, the actor was metoo'd back in 2020. Turns out the guy did voice acting for a popular video game and he cut quite a swath through the fan girls ten years ago.

We've just started into Season 6 and so far it's still otherwise good. Sometimes that kind of forced departure from the source material sets things adrift, so we'll see how it goes. I just hope they can avoid the problems that so many other story-line series have run into as they search for and ending.

TravelGal
07-30-22, 03:45 PM
We've been binge watching The Expanse. The first season was a bit slow as they introduced all the main characters and factions, but it has been great since then. They've done an excellent job of avoiding many of the pitfalls of modern TV series. I'm guessing that's because they've stuck to the books that its based on, but I haven't read them so I don't know.

Thanks. I hadn't been aware of it but the premise looks good. Thanks also for the spoiler note. I didn't read the rest of the post. I'll start from the beginning. I'm okay with slow exposition. Speaking of which, I've been watching The Old Man on FX. Lordy, it is slow but they would call it suspenseful. It is a low-key spy mystery and the dialog and the acting are so good, I'm hooked. I don't see a thing with Jeff Bridges but John Lithgow and the rest are top notch. I'm happy it's been renewed for season 2.

Pilgrims Drop
07-31-22, 04:19 PM

The first misstep was at the end of Season 5 when they abruptly and very awkwardly wrote out one of the main characters. I checked and, sure enough, the actor was metoo'd back in 2020. Turns out the guy did voice acting for a popular video game and he cut quite a swath through the fan girls ten years ago.

We've just started into Season 6 and so far it's still otherwise good. Sometimes that kind of forced departure from the source material sets things adrift, so we'll see how it goes. I just hope they can avoid the problems that so many other story-line series have run into as they search for and ending.

The books are, as usual, much much better than the series... so if anyone else likes to read and fancy a good sci-fi/drama/thriller/action/mystery series... highly recommended

stroker
08-01-22, 07:08 AM

I'm waiting for the series to be offered on DVD so I can buy the whole set. What's upsetting to me is that Cas Anvar was the primary influence who was able to get the show picked up by Amazon after it was dropped by the SyFi network. Didn't seem fair that he was unceremoniously dumped for allegations. Maybe there were true skeletons in the closet, but based on what I've read...

My 14 yo daughter and I have been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer while we're waiting for Blue Bloods Season 12 to come out on disc. Buffy is surprisingly good.

nrc
08-04-22, 07:24 PM
When I posted before I knew that Season 6 was the last season of The Expanse available but I didn't realize that it was the final season on Amazon or that they wrapped up the story in a short season of just six episodes.

Overall, they did a good job of wrapping up a lot of story lines in what is obviously a story that continues. They found a good breaking point and they didn't seem to hurry the ending at all. The ending was satisfying.

SPOILERS

The only thing I didn't care for about the final season was that they spent too much time on a storyline about the Laconia ring colony that goes nowhere. I get that they want to show that the protomolecule is still out there and a threat to ring-settlers as well as the whole universe. And the authors and production company have said that they consider this a "pause" not an ending.

But both the writing and acting in the "Laconia" story line seem really poor compared to the rest of the series. It's like they put the trailer for a kid's version of the series at the beginning of every episode. Maybe this is sourced from the books, but by featuring a child's story they're limited by the talents of a child actor with too much dialog that is purely exposition. What's wrong, Lassie? Trouble at the mill?

Also, some of the points in the story line bare a resemblance to "Pet Sematary" that make it hard to take seriously.

SteveH
08-07-22, 02:27 PM
http://twitter.com/pityforyourself/status/1556298864554123265

SteveH
08-07-22, 02:36 PM
How to Watch ‘My Life as a Rolling Stone’: Stream the Documentary Series Online Free
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/how-to-watch-my-life-as-a-rolling-stone-epix-docuseries-online-free-1393474/

nrc
11-25-22, 04:35 PM
Lately we've been watching the Amazon series "The Boys," which I enjoy a lot. Missy finds it a bit relentlessly dark (which it is) but I've always enjoyed the dystopian super hero genre and this is a well constructed version of it - interesting characters, interesting story. At times it feels like they're going to put a little too fine a point on the popular media narratives but just when it starts to get painful they throw a curve in there and a least it feels fresh.

That reminded me that I had never gotten around watching HBO's "Watchmen" series so I went back and watched that. I have very mixed feelings about HBO's Watchmen. It's not a serial version of the original story which was fine with me. I really liked Zack Snyder's adaptation and in this day and age where everything has to be a Marvel movie I couldn't see them topping it, even with more time to do a fuller telling of the story.

Instead, it's a years later sequel with few of the original characters or themes. At first it feels like the showrunner decided to do a completely different story and only added vague ties to the original story to put the "Watchmen" name on it. Later the ties become more clear, but it's still not entirely successful. There is too much rewriting of the original story and in the end the connections become a little too overwrought.

Overall I'd recommend it if you're interested in a crime drama set in a dystopian future, but not as a Watchmen sequel.

Also new on our watch list is The Peripheral, a series also on Amazon. Chloe Grace Moretz plays a woman in Appalachia who is paid to test a virtual reality device that draws her and her family into a virtual world full of action and intrigue. I wasn't too excited from seeing the initial trailer because it looked too similar to the device from the movie Strange Days. But the story is entirely different and quite fresh.

stroker
11-26-22, 07:58 AM
My drinking buddy is a BIG fan of "The Boys". I haven't seen it. As they insist on streaming access I probably won't. I'm still pissed that season 6 of Agents of Shield isn't on DVD...

SteveH
12-07-22, 08:22 AM
Another F1 series coming out - 8 part in Warner Brothers Discovery beginning today

2lsUUZeM3dQ

nrc
01-11-23, 12:12 AM
Watched the first episode of "Loudermilk." Early review but so far it's funny stuff. Recommended for anyone who enjoyed Ron Livingston in Office Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgcz-YGQ68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDfJn1kcQuU

TravelGal
01-12-23, 01:09 PM
Everyone once in a while I see a show that makes me think the actors must be having a great time. Loudermilk is one of those. Thanks for posting. Edit: I first put Loudermouth, which seems even more appropriate. LOL.

SteveH
01-10-24, 11:30 PM
Premiered today 25 years ago

https://i.redd.it/m1pvuby3mnbc1.jpeg

nrc
03-01-24, 02:56 AM
We added Apple TV to our too many streaming services just to see "Masters of the Air." "Masters of the Air" is another war series from Hanks, Spielberg, and Goetzman, this time telling the story of the US 100th Bomb Group during World War II - "The Bloody 100th."

So far it is better than "The Pacific," but not up to the standard of "Band of Brothers" (which may never be matched among War series). it's just a harder story to tell. The story is pretty true to history. If it feels at times like everyone is doomed, that's about how it felt at the time.

The affects are mostly correct. The B17 scenery is amazing and it's such a treating seeing those beautiful beasts as they were. Most of the close-ups use really outstanding replicas and sets. The CGI bits are pretty good. Hundreds of bombers in formation must have been an amazing, terrible, thing to see. This gives a hint of it but at times you can't quite shake the video game perception. Most the of the action looks great. Now and then the physics don't look right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-1JCRguZ0

SteveH
03-01-24, 11:23 AM
Watch Ted Lasso.

Elmo T
03-01-24, 12:34 PM
...at times you can't quite shake the video game perception. Most the of the action looks great. Now and then the physics don't look right.

I've been enjoying it - after I set aside my expectation of amassing hundreds of B-17's for the series. And a few shots were definitely messed up by clearly bad physics. It isn't taking away from the overall story & vibe.

Elmo T
03-01-24, 12:41 PM
I've taken a step back in time and I am re-watching "Northern Exposure" on Amazon. It can be all over the place at times - but always in a charming way. And I never feel like it insults my intelligence.

nrc
03-01-24, 04:27 PM
I've taken a step back in time and I am re-watching "Northern Exposure" on Amazon. It can be all over the place at times - but always in a charming way. And I never feel like it insults my intelligence.

We just finished rewatching all of "Monk" which we dearly love. Probably one of the best wrap-ups for a series ever. We watched it on Prime. Prime has just added ads that you can't skip or fast forward through. It will probably be our source of last resort going forward. I'll pay someone else for the content before I pay Amazon to remove the ads they added. Like they're not making enough money. :mad:

stroker
03-02-24, 09:13 AM
Okay, I'm going to beg your indulgences for a second while I vent about "Star Trek: Picard".

I avoided watching it because early reviews of Season One screamed "WOKE ALERT". After all three seasons were available on DVD I gave it a try. Season One wasn't nearly as bad as I expected but it wasn't "Star Trek" in the Roddenberry sense. Season Two wasn't as good but was okay. My friends told me "Oh, don't worry about that, they're just setting up for Season Three which is great." And they were right, up until the last two episodes. Then it lapsed into "We've got to make this million-to-one shot or everybody dies!" over and over again. I understand the nostalgia of bringing back Enterprise D. That's an enormous ship with a crew of a thousand, commandeered by the seven command members to go fight the most formidable adversary ever faced by Star Fleet. Which they subsequently fly through a Borg Cube in the manner of penetrating the Death Star in "Return of the Jedi".

"Uh, hey, Jean Luc, why not take the Defiant parked next door, which was specifically designed for fighting The Borg and only needs a crew of seven?" was never uttered, of course.

Yeah, I know. It's Star Trek. Who cares?

Get off my lawn.

:)

TRDfan
03-02-24, 10:42 PM

Loved that showed when it first aired. Thanks for the tip that it's on Amazon. Will be dialing it up soon.

TravelGal
03-05-24, 01:49 PM
Speaking of begging indulgences, y'all know I watch pretty moderate fare. I'm absolutely sold on "Tracker." No sex, minimum of violence, just good old-fashioned storytelling with reasonably decent acting. I've probably lost most everyone here but I wanted to chime in anyway.

TedN
03-05-24, 07:41 PM
I am also enjoying Tracker. Interesting storylines.

SteveH
04-18-24, 05:45 PM
What might have been...

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/entertainment/video/sopranos-video-surfaces-moos-cprog-digvid-bdk

indyfan31
04-24-24, 01:30 AM
Found Ripley on Netflix. Never saw the movie with Matt Damon. Set in Italy in 1960. Absolutely spectacular Black & White photography, and wonderfully creepy perfomances by Andrew Scott and Dakota Fanning.