View Full Version : TV Viewing - Post Sopranos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Gnam
07-03-16, 02:05 AM
Wow wow ow.

http://youtu.be/l7oXNSpT6o8

dando
07-03-16, 03:00 AM
Caught that the other day. Leno is nuts. :)

These two need to do Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvAkUupnKw

opinionated ow
07-03-16, 05:32 AM
If you've got netflix can I suggest an Australian show, "Rake"

it's not safe for children but it is bloody funny.

Gnam
07-04-16, 07:30 PM
Caught that the other day. Leno is nuts. :)

These two need to do Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvAkUupnKw

At the 12:09 min mark, I can't tell if Tim is acting or if it's a genuine reaction, but the look on his face is priceless. :D

nrc
07-05-16, 12:53 PM
Chris Evans quits Top Gear. Who could have ever imagined that this wouldn't work out. :gomer:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/04/media/chris-evans-top-gear-bbc/index.html

Gnam
07-05-16, 04:32 PM
Chris Evans quits Top Gear. Who could have ever imagined that this wouldn't work out. :gomer:

Did he punch anyone in the face on the way out? :D

cameraman
07-05-16, 07:25 PM

He was horrible, a screeching muppet comes to mind, so hopefully the show will improve.

Insomniac
07-12-16, 11:12 AM
Mr. Robot returns tomorrow for Season 2.

G.
07-12-16, 01:18 PM
Mr. Robot returns tomorrow for Season 2.

I didn't know that there was a season 1.

I saw all the (purchased) hype yesterday. Is it worth watching?

KLang
07-12-16, 11:28 PM

The critics loved it. I'll watch season 2 eventually but my reaction to season 1 was mostly meh. I don't really enjoy watching the drug addled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gnam
07-13-16, 03:35 AM

It is entertaining but also draining. Lots of WTF?! moments.

The Matrix (computer rebels)
+ Fight Club (interior monologue)
+ No Country for Old Men (violence)
+ Feel the Bern (young people)
= Mr. Robot

If you judge a show by it's villians, there are several who warrant an excruciatingly painful end.

Insomniac
07-13-16, 02:01 PM

I think it is. I also like the list of movies Gnam posted. I get The Feel the Bern reference, but I don't think that is central and certainly is less and less relevant as the season continues. It's well acted and written. The computer hacking is more realistic than most everything else I see on TV/Movies today.

G.
07-13-16, 03:51 PM
The computer hacking is more realistic than most everything else I see on TV/Movies today.

Cannot be more realistic than Hackerman. No way.

fQGbXmkSArs

Insomniac
07-14-16, 01:55 PM
Cannot be more realistic than Hackerman. No way.

:rofl: In the real world, was the power glove even 1% as cool/useful as it has been used in TV/Movies?

rabbit
09-13-16, 09:15 AM
I am enjoying Turn. Good characters and villains worthy of hate.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
We don't have cable and just recently discovered Turn on Netflix. Watched the first three seasons over the course of three weeks (Seasons 1&2 on Netflix and found Season 3 on dailymotion.com).

I know some artistic license was taken with many of the details, but the general gist of it is historically accurate. Much better than that Sons of Liberty abomination the History Channel put out... :yuck:

For me, I judge it by the fact that I often caught myself grinning while watching it. I now have "Washington's Spies" on hold from my local public library. :)

nrc
09-13-16, 09:46 AM
We enjoyed "Brain Dead". It explains a lot. Rumor is that it won't get renewed, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLNwndVfKM

nrc
10-20-16, 02:04 AM
In case you haven't been following The Walking Dead (and even if you have), John Cleese does a great job of recapping to get you caught up on the story so far.

http://nerdist.com/john-cleese-recapping-the-walking-dead-is-simply-delightful/

EDwardo
10-26-16, 12:12 AM
I just finished watch the 6 episode season 3 of Black Mirror. I think it was some of the best and most original TV that I have seen in quite some time. It is an anthology, each episode stands alone. It is on Netflix but I found a third party site that streamed it free. Seasons 1 and 2 are 3 episodes and while quite interesting, I think it really caught its' stride in season 3. I have seen it described as a modern Twilight Zone but the stories are more involved and in some ways more thought provoking.

Gnam
10-26-16, 01:11 PM
Aftermath on SyFy. So ridiculous it's good. It's like they jammed all their made for TV movies together and then forced a family to drive through them in an RV. The best part is it tries so hard to be serious. It is the Cleveland Browns of disaster movies. Hopeful but hopeless.

Just an example, Anne Heche, who plays the mom, wears sunglasses in every scene: day, night, inside, outside, dramatic conversation, action sequence. They are always on her face. Why? No one knows. No one mentions it. Very weird.

Last episode, they introduced a merchant of death character that saves the family. Who was it? It's Wayne Brady, son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK2JJLmuOzs

EDwardo
10-26-16, 04:14 PM
Aftermath on SyFy. .... Anne Heche, who plays the mom, wears sunglasses in every scene: day, night, inside, outside, dramatic conversation, action sequence. They are always on her face. Why? No one knows. No one mentions it. Very weird.

She's an ex helicopter pilot, dude. She has to stay cool. Besides, we just know they're gonna need a chopper pilot sometime and she has to be ready. And you have to admit, Wayne Brady on a white horse blasting crazies in an armored car was pretty, well, really neat. :rofl:

G.
11-20-16, 06:39 PM
I want to love The Grand Tour, but they had better pick it up a bit.

The opening was really good.

The rest seemed very forced, and the editing was actually BAD. There were things going on that we were not allowed to see. I expected much better for Amazon.

I despise the new track, strictly for the "needle-eye" part, and why it's there (trying to not spoil things over here...).

Some really great moments, but it just seemed uneven overall. I'd give Ep. 1 a 6/10, but I'll have to add one, just because it's Top Gear.

7/10

dando
11-20-16, 07:49 PM
I rarely watch network TeeVee, but when I do, it's Blue Bloods. :) Plus, they've pulling in some former Sopranos...Junior and Bobby to note. :thumbup:

chop456
11-21-16, 02:13 AM

The rest seemed very forced, and the editing was actually BAD. There were things going on that we were not allowed to see. I expected much better for Amazon.

I despise the new track, strictly for the "needle-eye" part, and why it's there (trying to not spoil things over here...).

Some really great moments, but it just seemed uneven overall. I'd give Ep. 1 a 6/10, but I'll have to add one, just because it's Top Gear.

7/10

Agree on all counts. And the new track is garbage.

Gnam
11-21-16, 01:55 PM
Agree on all counts. And the new track is garbage.
Tilke designed? ;)

Gnam
11-21-16, 02:11 PM
'People of Earth' Mondays at 9pm on TBS.

Reminds me of the comedic X-Files episodes: the Lone Gunmen episodes, the one about the alien that plays baseball, or the one about vampires living in a trailer park. Monsters can be funny too. Very well done.

Also, just a hint of Tommy Boy.

https://s13.postimg.org/cwsye1pef/peopleofearth_800x450_010720161208.jpg

nrc
11-22-16, 12:51 AM

7/10

Yeah, agreed. I'm willing to give them a few episodes to hit their stride. This one had to spend a lot of time on explaining what's different.

The "track" was a big disappointment. Jeff Bezos could have dug the loose change out of his couch and used it to build a better course in his back yard.

TKGAngel
11-23-16, 09:27 AM
I got sucked back into Dancing With the Stars this season because Hinch was one of the 'celebrities.' While he didn't win, he did an outstanding job (much better than Helio, IMO).

nrc
01-07-17, 11:44 PM
Just finished the second season of "Man In The High Castle." It's not really a direct adaptation of the the book as much as taking the characters, history, and themes of book and weaving them into a richer, more elaborate story. It's very well done. The way they wove everything into the conclusion of this season was really a brilliant bit of story telling.

Elmo T
01-09-17, 09:12 AM
Just finished the second season of "Man In The High Castle."

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. From afar, it is easy to assume who is "good" versus "bad" - but if you stay with it, it is far more complex than a uniform.

I've seen reviews that slammed the acting, but who am I to say. I enjoyed it and the array of characters is excellent.

Insomniac
01-09-17, 01:03 PM
Golden Globes Winners, who watches/watched the shows with winners? Recommendations?

Atlanta
The Crown
The Night Manager
American Crime Story
Black-ish
Goliath

Other with multiple nominations:

The Night Manager (4)
The Night Of (3)
This Is Us (3)
Westworld (3)
American Crime (2)
Game of Thrones (2)
Mozart in the Jungle (2)
Mr. Robot (2)
Stranger Things (2)
The Americans (2)
Transparent (2)
Veep (2)

Of these, I'd recommend Atlanta (it's in the mold of these newer comedies that are more character driven), Mr. Robot (tech geek heaven), The Americans (spy drama/suspense), Veep (just funny), GOT/Westworld (fantasy dream). I haven't seen about half of them and there's only one that I saw ad just don't get (This Is Us).

G.
01-09-17, 03:14 PM
I caught "Black-ish" early on, and thought it was crap. Every punchline could have been replaced with "But We're Black!". :shakehead:

I believe that it has hit a very different stride. I caught part of another episode last week, and actually laughed. Often. I will be giving that another chance, and I usually hate sit-coms (except for "Married, With Children" and "Malcom In The Middle", of course).

BTW, has anyone been watching "Speachless"? VERY funny, pretty dark, and will be impossible to maintain, IMO.

I finished "The Man In The High Castle", but I'm confused.
I don't think that the answer is a spoiler, but I have no idea what happened with the Minister of Trade on "High Castle".
When he meditates, he's sees a different possibility, or something.
So - just run with it?
I don't get the point. I must have missed a sentence or two that explains that arc.

nrc
01-09-17, 03:17 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. From afar, it is easy to assume who is "good" versus "bad" - but if you stay with it, it is far more complex than a uniform.

I've seen reviews that slammed the acting, but who am I to say. I enjoyed it and the array of characters is excellent.

I think compared to most TV series the acting is fine - maybe a little uneven but better than most TV science fiction. I think some of the reviews also suffered from a the relative slow pace of the first part of season 1, which is what most reviewers saw.

I think it's funny to look at some of the reviews with complaints about "sub-plots that go nowhere" in retrospect now having seen how deftly they brought it all together in the end.

nissan gtp
01-09-17, 05:01 PM
I finished "The Man In The High Castle", but I'm confused.
I don't think that the answer is a spoiler, but I have no idea what happened with the Minister of Trade on "High Castle".
When he meditates, he's sees a different possibility, or something.
So - just run with it?
I don't get the point. I must have missed a sentence or two that explains that arc.

Travel to parallel universe (which might explain the films also, but there is an unresolved time issue as some films show future events). In the extras, one of the producers said that a person can travel only to a universe where they do not exist (such as the Minister going to one where his analog had committed suicide).

So where did the "new" Trudy come from ???

TravelGal
01-10-17, 12:34 PM
To answer Insomniac, we watched the Night Manager. It was a limited series. 6 o 8 episodes. I thought it was very good but since I didn't see its competition, I can't venture a guess as to whether it was the BEST acting. Hugh Laurie can be creepy scary though and Tim Huddleston had nerves of steel that reminded one of vintage James Bond.

Westworld is an all out, hang on, blast away of complex, competing plots that tie up in the last episode. I thought it was probably the best TV I saw all year. How Thandie Newton did not win the Golden Globe, I cannot imagine. They clearly didn't submit the right episode "for the consideration" of the foreign press. There is some chaff along the way but it can be forgiven because the entire concept is unique and well thought out. That is, I'm sure someone knows what's happening at all times, even though I didn't. :thumbup:

nrc
01-11-17, 01:17 AM
Travel to parallel universe (which might explain the films also, but there is an unresolved time issue as some films show future events). In the extras, one of the producers said that a person can travel only to a universe where they do not exist (such as the Minister going to one where his analog had committed suicide).

So where did the "new" Trudy come from ???

Spoilers follow...

This is one of Phillip K. Dick's frequent themes: What is reality? Does it revolve around our own conscious perception or do we simply exist within it? Is there more than one? Could we move between them? Can it or they be altered either from internal or external forces?

Unlike most of Dick's work, the "Castle" book doesn't definitively establish whether the alternate reality depicted in "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" (which is a book not a film or films) is "real". Tagomi and Abendsen perceive it at points but there's no tangible proof of its reality. The reader is left to wonder. The apparent existence of the alternate reality, the films, and ability to move between them is taken from some of Dick's other works.

I presume that "new" Trudy is from another reality although unless the "only one instance per reality" is canon she could be the real Trudy while the Trudy who was killed could be from another reality.

Other questions for next season - what are the preserved films and why did Abendsen send them to Togami? Do events really turn around Julianna and will they continue to do so? Will next season remain a spy thriller couched in a puzzle about reality and time or will it turn into a complete Phillip K Dick acid trip?

Gnam
01-11-17, 03:03 PM
On PBS, American Experience: Command and Control

Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety
by Eric Schlosser

It's based on a book Schlosser wrote. Very good.

http://www.commandandcontrolfilm.com/

dando
02-16-17, 08:05 PM
Starts Saturday on BBC America.

http://www.bbcearth.com/planetearth2/

nrc
02-17-17, 12:10 PM
Starts Saturday on BBC America.

http://www.bbcearth.com/planetearth2/

Is this about the alternate earth that orbits on the opposite side of the sun?

dando
02-17-17, 02:05 PM
Is this about the alternate earth that orbits on the opposite side of the sun?

Nah. It's a reboot of 3rd Rock From The Sun with John Lithgow. :gomer: ;)

stroker
02-17-17, 10:58 PM
Just started "Better Call Saul"... Liking it so far.

rabbit
02-21-17, 04:37 PM
My wife and I have been enjoying "Highway Thru Hell" on Netflix (via Discovery Canada) lately.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2390276/

Gnam
03-21-17, 06:03 PM
Three weeks ago Richard Hammond fell off his motorcycle in rural Mozambique, aka the middle of nowhere, while filming an episode of the Grand Tour. He's fine now, but the accident left him laying unconscious in the middle of the road.

He didn't tell his parents or anyone else about the accident so it could be a surprise during the show.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4336052/Hammond-seen-time-emerged-crash.html

rabbit
03-22-17, 10:13 AM
He didn't tell his parents or anyone else about the accident so it could be a surprise during the show.
#showbusiness

nrc
04-23-17, 11:32 PM
Recently we started working our way through The Larry Sanders show from the beginning. That show makes me laugh out loud more than any series I've seen on TV lately. If you have HBO all the episodes are available through HBO Go. RIP Garry Shandling.

We've also started on HBO's Westworld. It's an interesting approach to the concept. It's fascinating to see the replicants experiencing their version of "Groundhog Day" but the human side of the story has been a bit slow in developing, I think.

SteveH
04-24-17, 07:18 AM
Recently we started working our way through The Larry Sanders show from the beginning. That show makes me laugh out loud more than any series I've seen on TV lately. If you have HBO all the episodes are available through HBO Go. RIP Garry Shandling.

We've also started on HBO's Westworld. It's an interesting approach to the concept. It's fascinating to see the replicants experiencing their version of "Groundhog Day" but the human side of the story has been a bit slow in developing, I think.

I really enjoyed The Larry Sanders show. Rip Torn's character in particular. Thanks for the suggestion. Might have to watch a few episodes again.

SteveH
03-09-18, 12:39 AM
TV Viewing - Post Sopranos. How about Movie Viewing - Pre Sopranos?

David Chase Revives ‘The Sopranos’ With New Line Prequel Movie ‘The Many Saints Of Newark’ (http://deadline.com/2018/03/david-chase-the-sopranos-prequel-movie-the-many-saints-of-newark-new-line-1202319202/)

That’s the only way it could come back. Without an adult Tony.

nrc
04-03-18, 02:51 AM
I really enjoyed NBC's Jesus Christ Superstar Live last night. I've always loved the original concept album but the various stage and screen presentations have been a mixed bag on how well they hold up to that. This one was as close as any and better than most.

John Legend did a beautiful, melodic rendition of Jesus that only lacked for a little more power and presence in some scenes. Brandon Victor Dixon put in a great performance as Judas although his intensity seemed to get the better of him with a couple of gaffs. Ben Daniels was a wonderfully intense Pontius Pilate although his vocals let him down during Pilot's climactic scene. I won't go through the whole list but overall this was one of the strongest casts I've seen or heard do this in a long time.

On top of that, the production was outstanding. The ending was probably the best staging of the death of Christ of any production I've seen. I was very pleasantly surprised. I came in prepared to be disappointed but it was just excellent on many levels.

G.
04-30-18, 05:38 PM
I'm still digging The Expanse on SyFy.

I pull up a chair really close to the ol' Quasar for this show.

Visually stunning, sometimes.

Decent sci-fi plot.
The fact that (to me) you need to have seen seasons 1&2 to make any sense out of it has got to hurt.
SyFy makes it a bit hard to catch up on the previous episodes.

TravelGal
05-01-18, 10:41 PM
ARG. I saw an article, that I was SURE I saved, but apparently didn't. It was about a new (?) show they said was "like Antiques Roadshow for cars." Anyone have the name? Anyone watching it?

gerhard911
05-02-18, 07:32 AM
Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars on Velocity?

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/new-salvage-hunters-classic-car-tv-series

TravelGal
05-02-18, 03:34 PM
Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars on Velocity?

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/new-salvage-hunters-classic-car-tv-series

That must be it. Thanks! Not the same pictures but looks like the same dudes. Now to find out if I get it anywhere on my cable.

G.
10-27-18, 07:32 PM
The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed Netflix Haunting of Hill House. :thumbup:

The audio quality seriously adds a lot to the show. They did a great job.

The actors must have had a blast doing the show. There's a LOT of monologs.

The final episode has room for improvement. It wraps things up nicely, but...
That's all I have to say about that.

SteveH
01-13-19, 10:41 PM
The 20 Best ‘Sopranos’ Musical Moments (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/sopranos-musical-moments/)

Sort fits this thread, but not really.

Three warnings:
1 you are really going to miss the Sopranos
2 this will take a while
3 in true Sopranos fashion some of the videos are NSFW

Binge watching every episode in order is on my bucket list.

SteveH
01-23-19, 08:59 AM
‘Sopranos’ Prequel Film Finds Young Tony: Michael Gandolfini Is Chip Off Old Block
(https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-sopranos-prequel-movie-michael-gandolfini-tony-soprano-james-gandolfini-the-many-saints-of-newark-james-gandolfini-david-chase-1202539160/)

SteveH
02-03-19, 04:50 PM
Locast lets you stream local TV for free (https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/18205298/locast-free-broadcast-tv-streaming-nonprofit-aereo)

Locast, a Free App Streaming Network TV, Would Love to Get Sued (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/31/business/locast-streaming-free-network-tv.html)

SteveH
02-03-19, 07:56 PM
Watching Super Bowl on the iPad. Works great either through the app or logged via a browser.
cities covered:
Chicago
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington DC
Baltimore
Houston
Dallas
Denver

TravelGal
07-04-19, 12:20 PM
In watching the summer drivel (Blood & Treasure, OMG, if you're 8 years old maybe), I've come upon The InBetween. Each episode handles it with a slightly different twist. If it degrades into maudlin pap, I'm out but not bad for summer so far.

PS, for historical drama buffs, The Spanish Princess was WOWWWWWWWWWWW! Mostly made up interactions, of course, but the basis of fact was there and the acting and even the writing was generally top notch.

nrc
07-04-19, 05:53 PM
I just finished watching the second season of Orville. Missy hated it and gave up on it but I enjoyed it in a Star Trek Next Generation kind of way. I felt like it got very good through the mid to latter part of the season but the last two episodes were kind of a letdown.

We've watched do little TV over the last year that we have a whole mess of shows queued up on the TiVo and we're running out of space. Some of them like Criminal Mimes it feels like we're still watching out of "see how it ends up" obligation. That show was once good but now it feels like the formula is worn out.

nrc
07-06-19, 02:38 AM
Watched a documentary on HBO called "The Cold Blue". It uses amazing color footage of bombers, crews, and missions that was originally shot for a documentary about the return of the Memphis Belle after completing her tour of duty. One of the cinematographers died when the bomber he was flying in was shot down over France. The footage is the backdrop for interviews with surviving crew members talking about their experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmwm4VPW7RY

There is an amazing scene at the beginning showing the Memphis Belle on a tour stop somewhere with the crowd of civilians pressing forward to touch the bomber like some kind of holy icon. I must admit that I teared up multiple times during this program. As these events pass from living memory, fewer and fewer people really understand or appreciate what these men suffered or how much they sacrificed.

EDwardo
08-19-19, 09:39 PM
Currently watching Pennyworth. Great fun but violent. (English slang requires subtitles)

https://www.epix.com/series/pennyworth

TravelGal
09-24-19, 02:10 AM
Anybody else catch the NFL's 100 Greatest Plays? I expected boring clip after clip but it turns out they mostly have the players who made the plays and you can still feel their excitement (or otherwise). Even the "fanboys and girls" are good. Hard core fans that remember the feel of the stadium at that moment, etc. I've watched the first two hours and will get to the next two this week.

TedN
09-25-19, 11:47 AM
I'm currently watching the Ken Burns documentary called Country Music on PBS. Eight separate episodes at 2 hours each. I'm not a big fan of this music genre but am fascinated by this show. Can't imagine the time that went into the research.

Ted

nrc
09-25-19, 01:13 PM
I'm currently watching the Ken Burns documentary called Country Music on PBS. Eight separate episodes at 2 hours each. I'm not a big fan of this music genre but am fascinated by this show. Can't imagine the time that went into the research.

Ted

We came into that late - the episode talking about the '50s. I'm not much of a main stream country fan but I like a lot of the country blues and and "Americana" stuff. This program really shows how it all came together in a melting pot. The nexus between Memphis and Nashville really resonates. Good stuff.

chop456
09-26-19, 11:37 PM

Ted

I've only finished episode 1 and it's excellent so far. I plan to stop watching at around 1975 because that's where it died, IMO.

150,000w transmitter :laugh:

TravelGal
10-14-19, 02:03 PM
Anybody else catch the NFL's 100 Greatest Plays? I expected boring clip after clip but it turns out they mostly have the players who made the plays and you can still feel their excitement (or otherwise). Even the "fanboys and girls" are good. Hard core fans that remember the feel of the stadium at that moment, etc. I've watched the first two hours and will get to the next two this week.

No one said they were viewing this but I'm chiming in that working my way through the whole series, I was completely rewarded by quite a few seconds of Red Grange talking about his first game with the Bears. Red Grange! Wish I knew what year that interview was done. He looked to be in 60's or so. I also wish I knew who had taken the original and remastered it so it looked as if it had been recently done in high def. RED GRANGE. OMG.

nrc
10-16-19, 03:05 AM
Watchmen starts this weekend. Please please please HBO don't mess it up.

Elmo T
10-21-19, 08:39 AM
So I stumbled into a show called "Letterkenny" on Hulu. It seems to be gaining a little press of late with the newest season just being released (to mixed reviews). Think Napoleon Dynamite meets The Office with the rapid fire banter of The West Wing and the word play of the Naked Gun & Airplane movies. All set in rural Canada. My guess is either you love it or hate it - no in between.

It took me a few episodes to get it and sometimes I have to turn on the closed captioning to catch parts of the dialogue.

Parental advisory and NSFW notes - the language is off color as displayed in this compilation clip of main character Wayne who is played by the show's creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeE8Amt8s8

nrc
05-26-20, 01:03 AM
I really enjoyed the first night of the History Channel's three episode docudrama on Ulysses S. Grant. Excellent history with excellent dramatization - much of the dialog taken directly from primary sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzBYakZZW0

G.
06-17-20, 01:10 AM
So I stumbled into a show called "Letterkenny" on Hulu. It seems to be gaining a little press of late with the newest season just being released (to mixed reviews). Think Napoleon Dynamite meets The Office with the rapid fire banter of The West Wing and the word play of the Naked Gun & Airplane movies. All set in rural Canada. My guess is either you love it or hate it - no in between.

It took me a few episodes to get it and sometimes I have to turn on the closed captioning to catch parts of the dialogue.

Parental advisory and NSFW notes - the language is off color as displayed in this compilation clip of main character Wayne who is played by the show's creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeE8Amt8s8

Binging with one of the kids and the Mrs.
Funny enough to not be too uncomfortable. The comparison between the Long John doughnut and the bagel was a bit dicey. :D
The 17 y.o. kid will never be the same.
Through season 3 - I can't see how they can keep going at this level. To be fair...

Elmo T
06-17-20, 09:34 AM
To be fair...

I've re-watched a bunch. They hold up and I see new things each time and not just Bonnie McMurray.

Some off color moments for sure but solid and intelligently written.

Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.

TravelGal
06-25-20, 01:45 PM
Anyone watch the new Perry Mason? Decent acting, much homage to 1930's LA. I was completely underwhelmed. Maybe I missed something. I suppose I'll watch another one but after that, patooey, unless something actually happens.

TedN
06-25-20, 02:14 PM
Same reaction by me. I much prefer the Raymond Burr TV series, especially the theme music.

SteveH
06-25-20, 03:37 PM
Anyone watching Space Force on Netflix (https://www.netflix.com/title/81021929)?

The first few episodes were nothing special but it has picked up considerably since then. I only stayed with it as I had read it gets better after the first two. But they are important as it sets the story. I think I've watched 6 episodes, so far. Perfectly cast.

TedN
09-29-20, 07:58 AM
Intelligence on Showcase (on Crave here in Canada) starring David Schwimmer. Hilarious.

TravelGal
10-09-20, 01:00 PM
A friend just mentioned Snowpiercer. Sean Bean coming on in Season II as the nefarious designer of the train. I think he's brilliant so I watched the first episode of season I to see if I'd watch the series. Dark! I thought of you guys. Anyone else watch it?

TravelGal
10-14-20, 12:48 PM
Follow up. I waited to watch episode 2 of Snowpierceer because the pilot was intense. Snoresville. Now I'm waiting to watch episode 3 because ep 2 was so boring. Geez. I'll give it another shot to see which vision of the series won out but it's rocky so far. :rolleyes:

TravelGal
10-16-20, 01:42 PM
Further update. I've now slogged through to the end of episode 4. Basically, it's an unsustainable premise, the acting is above average, the plots somewhat below average. Caveat emptor.

nrc
10-17-20, 04:25 PM
Funny, I looked it up and was surprised to see a bunch of positive reviews based on your comments. Turns out that I was looking at the page for a 2013 movie based on the same graphic novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer

TravelGal
10-23-20, 02:37 PM
Funny, I looked it up and was surprised to see a bunch of positive reviews based on your comments. Turns out that I was looking at the page for a 2013 movie based on the same graphic novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer

I'm now through episode 7, determined to know WTF is going on when Sean Bean appears on the scene in Season 2. Hopefully his presence will elevate the whole thing. I checked out the movie trailer. I swear they used the exactly the same sets in most scenes. They've definitely upgraded the shrew in charge, however. :laugh: >>Jennifer Connelly<<

Elmo T
10-26-20, 09:16 AM
Anyone else wade into "For All Mankind" on Apple+?

It is the alternate reality Apollo program where the Russian's make the first manned moon landing.

I binged watched. It was watchable and entertaining - only a few off-putting CGI scenes and some "oh come on :rolleyes:" moments. There was an interesting mix of real life and fictional characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS9M52Bd_w

TravelGal
11-02-20, 07:26 PM
Further to Snowpiercer, I've now watched all 10 episodes of season 1. A plot twist near the end augers well for season 2 as does my hope that the angst of past relationships has subsided. If you start with Episode 8 (much blood everywhere!), you'll get the idea. :)

Anyone else watching Professorl T? I found out about it on Season 2 but really enjoy it. Well written. Involving plots. Sometimes silly to break the tension. In Dutch so you'll probably need the subtitles.

TKGAngel
11-02-20, 08:52 PM
Anyone else watching The Right Stuff on Disney+? I've been enjoying it, but it's definitely a lot more (Disney-fied) soap than space. However, Jake McDorman and Patrick J. Adams are selling the heck out of smarmy Alan Shepard and holier-than-thou John Glenn.

It has definitely made me want to get the book and see how it compares to this version.

G.
11-15-20, 03:04 PM
Netflix, Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House Of Fun is indescribable.

Think back to when we were young (as applicable), and Monty Python seemed to be completely random.

This is that randomness, turned up WAY past 11.

I don't know if it was our mood or the show, but me and one of the g.'s had tears rolling. It was exhausting to watch.

I accept that this may not be for everyone, perhaps no one, but the first few episodes were a blast.

nrc
02-19-21, 10:22 AM
We're enjoying Resident Alien on SyFy. Alien stranded on earth posing as a human. Quirky and funny. It feels like they're taking some chances which is refreshing.

TedN
02-19-21, 07:37 PM
I am also really enjoying Resident Alien.

TravelGal
02-20-21, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the Resident Alien tip. I'd seen a few promos and then forgot about it. I'm now "recording series" and will catch up from the beginning on On Demand. Yes, I'm still attached to the cable but it makes life so easy for a nontechie. :gomer:

G.
02-26-21, 08:17 PM
SnowPiercer is pretty good, but a little too "soapy" for me. I hope they can move past that. Regardless - Jennifer Connelly. :thumbup:

Wife started to binge "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist".
Kinda cute.
I told her that Ally McBeal and CopRock did it better first. :D

(Ally, with self-doubt angsty hallucinations, and CopRock for random acts of senseless singing. :laugh: )

I had to show her what CopRock was.

TravelGal
02-27-21, 03:57 PM
My problem with Snowpiercer is that I can't stand the scenes with Layton. Overacting much? Eyes roll, sigh, shrugs, ominous looks. Save me. Sean Bean, one of the best actors alive, almost makes up for it. Maybe that's why they got him. I do like the rest of the cast, especially this year's Hospitality. She's really coming into her own. Plus, the whole concept intrigues me. I've only watched eps 1 and 2 so far so maybe it will get better as it goes along.

Zoey is a real disappointment to me this year. I thought Season 1 was probably the best show on TV. The story was a true (not the singing and dancing part) so it felt authentic. This year it's all about how lost everyone is. No center of gravity. Also on ep 2 and may not watch any more unless I'm desperate.

Elmo T
03-31-21, 07:57 AM
Not sure where this belongs, but it is TV...

This copy of an old show about TV pilots is great. I'd watch almost all of these shows over the ABC/NBC/CBS stuff that is out there now.

The John Denver action hero at 3:00 is a particular favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7fu7Nn_Tdk&t=1578s

stroker
03-31-21, 08:26 AM
I just finished Season Four of The Expanse DVD set, which I borrowed from the local library. I'm going to need to re-read the books a third time. It's been so long since I read them I can't remember how the show changes the story line of the books. I think it's reasonably faithful but there are things happening in the show that I just plain don't remember...

I'm going to have to wait until the series is complete then buy the whole set.

TravelGal
06-01-21, 01:26 PM
Slogging through Snowpiercer. I'm way behind and lo and behold, a super episode appeared. Zoe also got better but not on a must see list for me anymore.

Did anyone watching Debris? I thought the first few episodes were fabulous. Then a lull but the finale opened up a lot of questions that could be fun to explore. Cr@p. I just looked and see it was cancelled. Too many poor episodes in the middle, I suppose.

nrc
06-01-21, 06:32 PM
We're just finishing up re-watching every season of Scrubs (as seen on this thread a 12 years ago). Great show from back when you were allowed to be funny on TV. Things really went sideways in the last season or two when the writer's strike derailed production for a year or so.

SteveH
06-10-21, 02:24 PM
The event that gave birth to this thread.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1403034113678905348?s=20

SteveH
06-29-21, 02:01 PM
‘Sopranos’ Prequel Trailer: First Look at ‘The Many Saints of Newark’ (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-videos/sopranos-prequel-trailer-many-saints-of-newark-1234973262/)

The film has an ensemble cast that includes Michael Gandolfini (The Deuce) playing Tony Soprano, an uncanny young version of the iconic character played by the actor’s late father James Gandolfini.

Sopranos creator David Chase wrote the film along with Lawrence Konner. Sopranos veteran Alan Taylor directed.

TravelGal
07-01-21, 06:00 PM
Manifest was so uneven but I kept watching anyway. Now I find it was cancelled just when they had opened up a whole NEW world of possibilities. Now they are talking a movie to tie it all up.

I've seen the first two episodes of The Nevers on demand. Spectacular writing so far. Conversations and offhand comments are more than pithy. Hoping for the best as it goes along but they revealed the villain way too soon so maybe not.........

indyfan31
07-02-21, 07:25 PM
Manifest was so uneven but I kept watching anyway. Now I find it was cancelled just when they had opened up a whole NEW world of possibilities. Now they are talking a movie to tie it all up.

Fortunately I gave up on Manifest about 3 episodes into season 3. They just seem to be making up of-the-wall problems (that made no sense) for the sole purpose of keeping it going. It could've wrapped up in two seasons and been a very good show.

SteveH
08-04-21, 08:32 PM
Tony Soprano Lives! HBO Finally Nails a Spinoff With Chase Prequel (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-04/many-saints-of-newark-review-hbo-nails-tony-soprano-prequel)

Tony was last seen alive on June 10, 2007, in The Sopranos’ series finale

Hard to believe it’s been that long.

SteveH
09-21-21, 08:50 PM
'The Many Saints of Newark' is more than a 'Sopranos' origin story (https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/21/entertainment/the-many-saints-of-newark-review/index.html)

SteveH
09-22-21, 08:56 AM
Michael Gandolfini and the Riddle of Tony Soprano (https://dnyuz.com/2021/09/22/michael-gandolfini-and-the-riddle-of-tony-soprano/)

TravelGal
09-22-21, 01:43 PM
Given that I watch ordinary shows, I found Ordinary Joe rather engaging. Overdone, of course, and way too obvious in parts but you if stopped paying attention, you were lost. Definite whiplash among the characters at the beginning. Later on greater complexity as their stories intertwined. I can't imagine how they will do this going forward but that's what will have me watching episode 2.

Then there's the old favorite NCIS. I think Mark Harmon is finally learning how to act.