PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Today's(?) F1 Coverage

chop456
06-19-07, 08:19 AM
Anyone see the show that was on after the end of Le Mans?

"Lewis Hamilton is the first African-American driver to win a formula one race".

:tony::gomer::tony::gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-07, 08:49 AM
Missed that. There's a reason I dive for the remote whenever a decent show on SPEED ends.

Don Quixote
06-19-07, 09:54 AM
Unbelievable when pc-ness trips over itself. :gomer:

Skater_36
06-19-07, 10:15 AM
Not surprised at all.

Warlock!
06-19-07, 10:46 AM
:tony::gomer::tony:
Hey... no one at camp wanted to watch another rerun of Johnny Dangerously, so that's what ya got.

:D

Andrew Longman
06-19-07, 10:54 AM
Just curious, what is the PC way to describe a Brit of African/West Indian decent?

I keep waiting for the day when race isn't worth commenting on. My wife grew up in Puerto Rico and there everyone is just one shade of brown or another. Even my olive skin Greek wife just fit right in.

Cam
06-19-07, 10:59 AM
Hey... no one at camp wanted to watch another rerun of Johnny Dangerously, so that's what ya got.

:D

Hey!!! FWIW, I would have voted for Johnny Dangerously! :cool:

cameraman
06-19-07, 02:19 PM
Anyone see the show that was on after the end of Le Mans? Having watched all night long I turned it off and went to sleep the second the checkers finally flew.

cameraman
06-19-07, 02:24 PM
Just curious, what is the PC way to describe a Brit of African/West Indian decent?

British.

Andrew Longman
06-19-07, 02:26 PM
British.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
06-19-07, 11:18 PM
There's a Columbian-American in NASCAR, Juan Pablum Montoyer, so maybe NASCAR is just building on their diversity initiative.........it's just a matter of time before Hamilton shows up in a BUSCH ride. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
06-20-07, 12:19 AM
British.:laugh:

Don Quixote
06-20-07, 09:55 AM
I prefer the term "Brafdian".

Sean O'Gorman
06-20-07, 11:17 AM
In the future, we'll all be goobacks, so it doesn't matter.

opinionated ow
06-20-07, 11:32 AM
There's a Columbian-American in NASCAR, Juan Pablum Montoyer, so maybe NASCAR is just building on their diversity initiative.........it's just a matter of time before Hamilton shows up in a BUSCH ride. :thumbup:

:saywhat: i thought his name was John Paul Montana and he was from Columbia, North Carolina?

devilmaster
06-20-07, 12:25 PM
Sports
June 14, 2007
African-American, Unlike Me

What does Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton have in common with former heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis? They're both famous athletes named "Lewis," of course, but they also have the distinction of being two of the most recognizable African-Britons on the planet. What, you've never heard the term African-Briton before? Perhaps you, like certain media outlets we know, need to learn how to use the term "black."

Here's ESPN's correction after Hamilton won last weekend's Canadian Grand Prix:
"On a June 11 Mike and Mike in the Morning news update on ESPN2, Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton, the first black person to win an F-1 race, was termed an African American. He is from England."

Here's how the Charlotte Observer expressed regret:
"A story in Monday's Sports section misidentified Lewis Hamilton as Formula One's first African American driver. It should have said he is the series' first black driver. Hamilton is British."

Lennox Lewis was also regularly mislabeled, usually by columnists discussing the "African American" dominance of the heavyweight division.

Of course, it's not only athletes who have to deal with this strange combination of political correctness and geographic ignorance from American writers. Brits Naomi Campbell and Thandie Newton have both been referred to as African Americans. (Newton at least has the African part down, as she was born in Zambia.)

Maybe as punishment, the journalists should be forced to listen to a lecture on the differences between African-Americans and black people by Gary Sheffield.

http://www.gelfmagazine.com/gelflog/archives/africanamerican_unlike_me.php

TrueBrit
06-20-07, 12:49 PM

Black.

chop456
06-20-07, 12:50 PM
And that came out 3 days before the idiots on Speed said it. :shakehead

Don Quixote
06-20-07, 01:26 PM
Geographic ignorance? I thought Britain was part of America. :confused:

skidmarks
06-20-07, 02:24 PM
It was 'til we kicked them out. :D

:RunsFromATrueBritLecture:

Andrew Longman
06-20-07, 03:22 PM

One nation separated by a common language, I believe is the common description. Just had a small disagreement over taxation. What else is new?

You have to have some sympathy for the media types. Colored became negro became black became African American became people of color. They have a media guide that prescribes how they should describe everthing and they are safest if they follow it mindlessly.

I also understand the imperfection created when people are enslaved and transported, forever to be on a different plane from people who emigrated willingly. And then there are the people of color who came to the US and elsewhere very much by choice and the separatism it spawns about people such as Colin Powell who, as a child of Jamacian immigrants, is not seen on an equal footing of decendents of slaves. Unless you are willing to put heritage and race aside, you are doomed to messy answers to questions of identity.

I find it interesting that some huge percentage of young people (I forget the number but I believe it is a majority) refuse to answer questions of ethnicity or answer "other" when applying to college. Either they are offended by the question, see it as irrelevant, not in their interest to answer, or just don't fit in a category

devilmaster
06-20-07, 03:55 PM
see it as irrelevant

That's the best we can hope for.

It's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness.

Elmo T
06-20-07, 04:00 PM
Either they are offended by the question, see it as irrelevant, not in their interest to answer, or just don't fit in a category

Our elementary school is relatively diverse. (That doesn't mean much here other than not ALL of the students are upper middle class white kids.) The kids don't see "race" - they see skin color. There are kids of varying skin colors. But it is a non-issue for them.

I remember my son at 4 years old referring to a kid in the toy store as "that brown boy over there..." and he was right - the kid was brown. My son didn't know or care if the boy was African American, from an island, or from the moon - the kid was brown. It had no meaning beyond the color of skin.

The kids are clean slates. It is what they learn from us that is the problem. The kids are NOT color blind, they are race/ethnicity/nationality blind.

And in our house, Lewis Hamilton is known by the kids as "that new guy" and will soon be known the "world champion"... ;)

opinionated ow
06-21-07, 05:31 AM
:rofl: :rofl:
http://www.bookworm.com.au/shop/img/pm002204.jpg