PDA

View Full Version : Daly - SHUT UP

cameraman
06-17-07, 01:54 PM
Jesus the first, and in the end only, words out of your mouth are idiotic.

Ankf00
06-17-07, 01:58 PM
:laugh:

100% agreement.

TrueBrit
06-17-07, 02:58 PM
Daly = moron

ferrarigod
06-17-07, 04:03 PM
true. :thumdown:

Spicoli
06-17-07, 04:12 PM
Daly = moron

wow.

Insomniac
06-17-07, 05:44 PM
Mad that he said the phenom was blocking? :)

Ankf00
06-17-07, 06:03 PM
except that it wasn't a block, it was 1 legal move over to the inside and he stuck to it, the outside was completely empty for fred the rest of the way.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-17-07, 06:11 PM
OK, I am in San Francisco watching the SDD on Fox; I just saw that...did Varsha come "thisclose" to telling Daly to STFU???

Rogue Leader
06-17-07, 06:19 PM
Ehh I kinda thought it was borderline blocking as well, but not to the extent that Daly needed to drag it out like that...

Insomniac
06-17-07, 07:22 PM
except that it wasn't a block, it was 1 legal move over to the inside and he stuck to it, the outside was completely empty for fred the rest of the way.

I didn't say it was, the rules allow the move.

Insomniac
06-17-07, 07:30 PM
Ehh I kinda thought it was borderline blocking as well, but not to the extent that Daly needed to drag it out like that...

He was definitely making a defensive move, but it's allowed under the rules. He would be stupid to not protect his lead.

It's funny. The Speed crew drools over the guy, and Daly says something that certainly wasn't any more over the top than them predicting he'll do as well as Michael Schumacher with less than half a season in F1. They couldn't even be bothered to mention on the final stint, Kimi was on the option tire while Massa wasn't. Needed to get back to talking about how wonderful Hamilton is. Heck, they even say they know they go on and on about him. And they were worried when Schumacher left...

There are plenty of reasons Daly sucks, but just because the move Hamilton made (not to mention at the start going into T1) wasn't legal blocking, he was making a move to keep Alonso behind him which deviated from his normal racing line unchallenged.

Methanolandbrats
06-17-07, 07:41 PM
Daly is giving Scott Goodyear a serious run for his money. Total f'n idiot.

ferrarigod
06-17-07, 09:37 PM
Daly is giving Scott Goodyear a serious run for his money. Total f'n idiot.

that's probably another race Goodyear will finish 2nd in.

Ankf00
06-18-07, 01:06 AM
hey couldn't even be bothered to mention on the final stint, Kimi was on the option tire while Massa wasn't.
except they did

Shadow
06-18-07, 01:33 AM
I was out for the day so PVR'd the race on TSN Alternate feed (commentary by Martin Brundle and James Allen) and Speed. I only scanned both but you'd better believe the Brit feed is totally slanted to Hamilton (and for this they seem to apologize to Button). Usually I have found them more to my liking than the Speed feed, but with their hefty bias to Hamilton, that may change.

opinionated ow
06-18-07, 01:59 AM
I was out for the day so PVR'd the race on TSN Alternate feed (commentary by Martin Brundle and James Allen) and Speed. I only scanned both but you'd better believe the Brit feed is totally slanted to Hamilton (and for this they seem to apologize to Button). Usually I have found them more to my liking than the Speed feed, but with their hefty bias to Hamilton, that may change.

the british feed has always been heavily biased. mansell-mania made it terrible...and james allen's carry on when button fluked that win last year was awful

ferrarigod
06-18-07, 03:55 AM
the british feed has always been heavily biased. mansell-mania made it terrible...and james allen's carry on when button fluked that win last year was awful

dude, i'm a few years older than you and i barely remember mansell in F1 before his CART stint, let alone in such vivid memory to call any media coverage heavily biased.

Sure you're not just remembering what you once heard online?

:laugh:

Insomniac
06-18-07, 08:54 AM
except they did

When? I must've missed it. Which is odd since I said it to the TV when they didn't mention it.

TrueBrit
06-18-07, 09:22 AM

Wouldn't be because they're British Broadcasters broadcasting primarily to the British public would it?

You would expect what, a Finnish bias?

That would be like expecting balanced coverage of Aussie cricket from Bill Lawrie....:D

TrueBrit
06-18-07, 09:23 AM
OK, I am in San Francisco watching the SDD on Fox; I just saw that...did Varsha come "thisclose" to telling Daly to STFU???

Yup....I laughed my arse off....

Wheel-Nut
06-18-07, 10:17 AM
So Lewis is the real deal? The next Schumacher?

Methanolandbrats
06-18-07, 10:21 AM
He sure is quick and can pedal a good car. Schumacher? Don't know, have to put Hamilton in a s***** car for a few years and see if he can develop it. Of course that ain't gonna happen because I don't think Ron will put a for sale sign on him anytime soon.

Ankf00
06-18-07, 10:29 AM
When? I must've missed it. Which is odd since I said it to the TV when they didn't mention it.

i want to say they mentioned it one of those times they were showing Kimi riding Massa's rear wing into T1-T2

Andrew Longman
06-18-07, 11:19 AM
I was watching some old (mid 90s) races the other day and Daly wasn't annoying at all. In fact back in the day I don't remember him being a distraction at all. It has only been in the last few years that the well, well, wells, whiskey drinking grandmothers and hollihocks have crept in. Now he's embarrassing.

Is it Alzeimers or is he just getting bad advice?:confused:

Insomniac
06-18-07, 11:40 AM

The next Schumacher? He's going to be better than that. He's going to take F1 to new heights. He's the Phenom. Any superlative you can think of applies here.

rosawendel
06-18-07, 11:43 AM
I was watching some old (mid 90s) races the other day and Daly wasn't annoying at all. In fact back in the day I don't remember him being a distraction at all. It has only been in the last few years that the well, well, wells, whiskey drinking grandmothers and hollihocks have crept in. Now he's embarrassing.

I would agree with this. Sportstime Ohio (STO) has been rebroadcasting the Cleveland Grand Prix races from the 80's and 90's for the past few weeks and he wasn't that bad. not a single "hollyhocks" or "well, well well" among them.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 11:43 AM
i want to say they mentioned it one of those times they were showing Kimi riding Massa's rear wing into T1-T2

Okay, I missed it. Seeing red from the over-hyping of Hamilton I guess. :) They're quickly running out of good things to say about the guy. He's outshining his teammate and doing an awesome job. I wish they wouldn't beat it to death. Sound like cheerleaders.

TrueBrit
06-18-07, 11:57 AM
How else do you suggest 'they' approach it? In his first seven races he has finished no lower than third. His sixth and seventh races at tracks he's never seen before he won from pole! Would he need to turn water into wine as well before the superlatives are earned in your estimation?

Will he eclipse the dirty cheating, chopping pointy-chinned bastard in the record books? Only time will tell, but young Lewis appears to be off to a blinder of a start wouldn't you say?

Put it this way, if he had been finishing mid-pack and they were touting him as the next best thing, like, oh I dunno, a certain boyish-framed female in the Inferior Retiree's League for instance, then I'd say you had a point. But Hamilton has come out of the gate 'en fuego' and continues to scorch a path directly into the record books...All the superlatives have been well earned I'd say...But then again i've got that "British Bias" going on....;-)

Ruben Barrios
06-18-07, 01:25 PM
The only one that will get anywhere near Schummacher is Danica Patric, and don't forget that!!!

oddlycalm
06-18-07, 01:56 PM
How else do you suggest 'they' approach it? In his first seven races he has finished no lower than third. His sixth and seventh races at tracks he's never seen before he won from pole Absolutely, this has never happened before and not everyone watching is aware that is the case so it bears mentioning by the announcers.

On top of which you can add an absence of mistakes while under pressure, better starts than his teammate and no verbal brain farts to the media. Most young drivers, even very good ones, serve up all of the above. Hamilton is in the best car on the grid, but then so is Alonso, and it's what he doesn't do that's remarkable as much as what he does.

oc

G.
06-18-07, 02:14 PM
How else do you suggest 'they' approach it? In his first seven races he has finished no lower than third. His sixth and seventh races at tracks he's never seen before he won from pole! Would he need to turn water into wine as well before the superlatives are earned in your estimation?
He just might BE that good. We'll have to see if he can win the Indy500 a few times first. Then we'll know.

:gomer:
(hi, cam!)

G.
06-18-07, 02:19 PM
And I STILL don't get what's so wrong with Daly. I know I'm in the minority here, but he's ok with me. Other's would be better but I think he's fine. With or without grandma drinking hollyhocks whiskey or whatever.

Could it be that I am under his musical, magical, leprechaun voice spell?

No gomer face here.

I loved the blocking slap-fight too. That was truely entertaining. And no, I don't watch wrasslin'.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 03:08 PM

Will he eclipse the dirty cheating, chopping pointy-chinned bastard in the record books? Only time will tell, but young Lewis appears to be off to a blinder of a start wouldn't you say?

Put it this way, if he had been finishing mid-pack and they were touting him as the next best thing, like, oh I dunno, a certain boyish-framed female in the Inferior Retiree's League for instance, then I'd say you had a point. But Hamilton has come out of the gate 'en fuego' and continues to scorch a path directly into the record books...All the superlatives have been well earned I'd say...But then again i've got that "British Bias" going on....;-)

I'm not saying he hasn't earned the compliments. He's done amazing, and I expect much of the same this season. But they just go on and on. Even they admit they do this on the air. They repeat the same things. Surely there is more to talk about during the race besides how wonderful he is, how mature he is, how great his family is, etc. It's just too much focus and exposure, that's all.

My criticism isn't of him or his talent, just the announcers.

I can laugh off the Schumacher comparisons, because while he clearly has the talent, no one knows what he will be driving in the future.

Indy
06-18-07, 06:03 PM
I am not too annoyed by the overhype. So far he has shown himself to be the the real deal and seems like a decent guy.

But if he races for Ferrari, I will probably hate his guts. :D

Fio1
06-19-07, 02:18 AM
Derek Daly was a tool behind the wheel and is even more of a w*nker behind the mike. :shakehead If you couldn't finish on the podium in the Williams while your teammate was winning the World Championship, then you should have quit there and then. You suck, Derek!

TrueBrit
06-19-07, 09:28 AM
Derek Daly was a tool behind the wheel and is even more of a w*nker behind the mike. :shakehead If you couldn't finish on the podium in the Williams while your teammate was winning the World Championship, then you should have quit there and then. You suck, Derek!

And that, ladies and gentlegnomes, is exactly how I feel as well...

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 09:44 AM
And I STILL don't get what's so wrong with Daly. . . . .

I have to agree, actually none of the race announcers for any series bothers me. I guess over the years I have learned to tune them out. Works well with the wife too.!!

OT - one announcer that did get on my nerves was Dan Dierdorf on MNF. :thumdown: I couldn't stand to listening to him.

cameraman
06-19-07, 02:17 PM
Another example of why I despise him was the F1 driver interview show, some of Daly's comments/questions were an embarrassment.