PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

Pages : [1] 2

Ankf00
06-15-07, 02:37 PM
me want. :) but >$50/phone w/ contract == waste

funee:

http://christopherestep.blogspot.com/2007/06/iphone-and-marriage.html

the top 10 reasons why the iPhone is like my ex-wife.

It's expensive.
It seems special because it's unique, but ultimately it's just a mediocre piece (of equipment).
People will want one,if for no other reason that they know how easy it is.
You don't have to be smart to do everything it's capable of. In fact, it helps if you're not.
It comes with a lot of baggage you may not want (in the case of the iPhone, that would be iTunes).
It's got a lot of open connectivity to the world.
At first it sounds like a great idea, but once you've had it for a while you realize you're stuck with it. (iPhone requires a 2 year contract).
You can put a nice package on it, but inside it's based on old technology and eventually you're going to get tired of its annoying way of doing things.
"Think Different" is not always better than "Be Normal"
No matter how fun it will be to play with, you'll soon realize that because of all of the things above, you shouldn't have got one in the first place and if you can't find exactly what you want that will last you a long time, you'd have been better off with a Palm. It may not do everything, it may not be as fun, and it's not something you brag about to your friends, but it's reliable, somewhat enjoyable, and it'll get the job done.

Insomniac
06-15-07, 03:02 PM
11. The head of iPhone software had trouble typing on it at the WWDC.

I think the lack of tactile feedback and the need to look at the phone when using it will bother people, and it will be too late by then.

eiregosod
06-15-07, 03:12 PM
no 3G

dire-phone :p

ferrarigod
06-15-07, 07:34 PM
already in line to get one the day it comes out. giving my blackj^ck to another. passing on the love. :thumbup:

WickerBill
06-15-07, 08:44 PM
I just found out I'm getting a blackberry 8800. No idea if that's good or bad... the iPhone looks nicer but honestly I'm glad I'm getting a keyboard I can feel.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-15-07, 08:59 PM
nah...

extramundane
06-15-07, 09:48 PM
Friend of mine's a gadget dude for a living and the general consensus apparently is that the iPhone is slick, but it ain't all that. The word seems to be that if you're already an AT&T/Cingular customer and can afford the upfront price hit, go for it. If you're with another provider, it's not worth the hassle of switching.

Sincerely,
The guy who's grown to despise his LG Chocolate after just 2 weeks.

nissan gtp
06-15-07, 09:48 PM
I'll most interesting to see if this will be the next iPod, or the next Newton :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
06-15-07, 09:52 PM
What does an iphone do that's so amazing? Is it like a Mac computer in that it does the same thing as a PC, but cost three times as much? :D

Hard Driver
06-15-07, 11:00 PM
I'll most interesting to see if this will be the next iPod, or the next Newton :gomer:

Next MAC :\

Neat idea that will be copied by everyone else... However, the expensive cost and restrictive proprietary nature of the device will limit it's spread to a niche rather than take over the whole market.

RusH
06-15-07, 11:08 PM
What does an iphone do that's so amazing? Is it like a Mac computer in that it does the same thing as a PC, but cost three times as much? :D

qwality twools

they pretty much all suck until they are as reliable as my TV set:)

Ankf00
06-16-07, 02:06 AM
I just found out I'm getting a blackberry 8800. No idea if that's good or bad... the iPhone looks nicer but honestly I'm glad I'm getting a keyboard I can feel.

be happy w/ the RIM device, you're too old to pull off "poser cheesedick" anyway... :)

Ankf00
06-16-07, 02:07 AM
Sincerely,
The guy who's grown to despise his LG Chocolate after just 2 weeks.

wish you'd mentioned it before you bought it, my old housemate is EE and total gadget dweeb, and he's bitched about his chocolate non-stop since that one fateful afternoon...

racermike
06-16-07, 02:20 AM
If this phone is capable of what they say it can do, maybe they better zap a few of those up to the international space station to help them keep in orbit.

extramundane
06-16-07, 10:38 AM
wish you'd mentioned it before you bought it, my old housemate is EE and total gadget dweeb, and he's bitched about his chocolate non-stop since that one fateful afternoon...

Impulse buy. My old one died suddenly and due to the crazed schedule I've had lately, I walked into the store w/o doing any research. It's not as bad now that I know to turn the VCast crap off when I'm not using it, but there are enough PITA quirks that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Audi_A4
06-16-07, 10:45 AM
forget the iphone get a blackberry they rock

cameraman
06-17-07, 12:45 AM
However, the expensive cost and restrictive proprietary nature of the device will limit it's spread to a niche rather than take over the whole market. That is exactly what they said when the iPod was first released:eek:

Audi_A4
06-17-07, 01:32 AM

the 8800 is great it has gps which is cool. there is a new bb called the curve (i think 8300) which is small and has a full keyboard.

Insomniac
06-17-07, 09:28 AM
That is exactly what they said when the iPod was first released:eek:

AT&T has a 5 year exclusive distribution deal with Apple. The iPod had no such limitations. It won out simply because it was the best at the time. We'll see how many people are willing to switch wireless carriers for the iPhone.

Jay
06-17-07, 11:05 AM
forget the iphone get a blackberry they rockAgreed!! For everything except maybe coolness factor (though I think Blackberrys are pretty cool), Blackberry >> iPhone. If you're over 12 years old...go for the Blackberry.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-17-07, 12:00 PM
AT&T has a 5 year exclusive distribution deal with Apple. The iPod had no such limitations. It won out simply because it was the best at the time. We'll see how many people are willing to switch wireless carriers for the iPhone.
That would stop me right there even if I wanted an iPhone, and I am an Apple guy.

:thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

Ankf00
06-17-07, 12:58 PM

the iPod's made for iTunes

ferrarigod
06-17-07, 04:09 PM
That would stop me right there even if I wanted an iPhone, and I am an Apple guy.

cause you hate cingular/ATT or don't like smart business? ATT is paying out the a$$ for the right to be the first to operate the iPhone, I see no issue in getting what you pay for.

'Course, I use a Windows based PC http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6041/bananalamaka7.gif

Insomniac
06-17-07, 05:48 PM

Did you forget to drink the Kool-Aid? No self-respecting Apple guy would sit on the sidelines when Jobs introduces a new gadget!

Insomniac
06-17-07, 05:49 PM
the iPod's made for iTunes

I don't think iTunes drove iPod sales.

Ankf00
06-17-07, 06:01 PM
iPhone's going to be driving ATT sales, not the other way around

Kahauna Dreamer
06-17-07, 06:27 PM
cause you hate cingular/ATT or don't like smart business? ATT is paying out the a$$ for the right to be the first to operate the iPhone, I see no issue in getting what you pay for.

'Course, I use a Windows based PC http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6041/bananalamaka7.gif
I don't care about Cingular/ATT or their business.
I use the carrier of my choice because that is what I want...forcing me to change just to get an iPhone? No way.

Did you forget to drink the Kool-Aid? No self-respecting Apple guy would sit on the sidelines when Jobs introduces a new gadget!
To me, iPhone is just another wireless device that lots of brownouts will be playing with/talking on while they're driving....IMO of course.

Insomniac
06-17-07, 07:31 PM
iPhone's going to be driving ATT sales, not the other way around

We'll see if it can continue to drive sales after the luster wears off.

rosawendel
06-17-07, 07:50 PM
most cell phones drop in price after time (remember the $300+ razr?), but the price of apple products don't drop at all; they just get replaced (witness the ipod). it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-17-07, 08:19 PM
the price of apple products don't drop at all; they just get replaced (witness the ipod).
Not necessarily so—save for the cheap Shuffle, they don't only get replaced, but augmented as well; witness the several different iPod Nanos available for less than $200 since the beginning of this year...I don't see Apple ever making an "entry-level" or "basic" iPhone, though.

RusH
06-17-07, 11:51 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/23967

:D

Ankf00
06-18-07, 01:03 AM
We'll see if it can continue to drive sales after the luster wears off.

sounds like what iPod detractors said

Indy
06-18-07, 05:06 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/23967

:D

Brilliant.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 09:00 AM
most cell phones drop in price after time (remember the $300+ razr?), but the price of apple products don't drop at all; they just get replaced (witness the ipod). it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

If AT&T agreed to Apple's demands from Verizon, then it will probably come down to how much they are willing to subsidize the customer's portion. I would expect that to be related to the demand of the phone.

Verizon Wireless, the No. 2 U.S. cellphone carrier, passed on the chance to be the exclusive distributor of the iPhone almost two years ago, balking at Apple's rich financial terms and other demands.

Among other things, Apple wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees, say over how and where iPhones could be sold and control of the relationship with iPhone customers, said Jim Gerace, a Verizon Wireless vice president. "We said no. We have nothing bad to say about the Apple iPhone. We just couldn't reach a deal that was mutually beneficial."
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-01-28-verizon-iphone_x.htm?csp=34

I think it will be really interesting to see how this product does.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 09:01 AM
sounds like what iPod detractors said

There were iPod detractors? What would've been a remotely good alternative?

Ankf00
06-18-07, 10:49 AM

anything non-apple according to some. i submit cork as exhibit A.

...and I don't own a single apple product.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-18-07, 10:58 AM

For the Apple-haters;

Sim Womg Hoo/Creative, for one... (http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=44595)

November 23, 2004 | Paul Thurrott, Keith Furman | News
Creative Declares War on Apple

Creative, makers of one of the first portable hard disk-based music players, is ready to launch an ambitious marketing campaign in an effort to take on market leader Apple Computer. The company has announced plans to spend $100 million next year to market its MP3 players worldwide. "The MP3 war has started, and I'm the one who has declared war," Creative CEO Sim Wong Hoo said at a briefing last week. The latest statistics, which relate to the first half of 2004, show Creative holding 30 percent of the global MP3 market compared to 17 percent share by Apple, although Apple had a 92 percent market share of players with hard disks. Creative makes a wide range of MP3 devices, from small flash-based devices to hard disk-based products, including its newly released Zen Micro player. The company hopes the new campaign will help raise its profile in the fast-growing market and estimates that the industry will ship 30 million MP3 devices this year and more than 60 million in 2005. Apple's marketing is certainly tough to compete with, but we hope Creative's new plan helps expose more people to MP3 player alternatives and increase competition. Competition is good.

Not to mention, Nokia as well... (http://techdigest.tv/2006/11/nokia_world_nok.html)

Nokia World: Nokia declares war on the iPod!

Or, in their words: "I don't see any reason for standalone MP3 players to exist in the long-term. There's no reason for standalone non-connected MP3 players. You have a worse experience."

That's what Nokia's Tommi Mustonen said earlier this afternoon, admittedly in answer to a direct question from a journalist on whether Nokia is predicting the death of the standalone MP3 player. Gotta love those leading questions.

And happily he had the balls to take the question head-on, although not so far as to offer Steve Jobs out for a fight while smashing an iPod to bits with a big hammer. If I ever go into PR, that's the kind of thing I'd suggest. Meanwhile, Mustonen also outlined some of the other stuff Nokia is doing in the music field.

A lot of it was fairly standard stuff, about how music is a huge part of Nokia's N-Series multimedia computers (NOT mobile phones, remember), and how people are using them heavily, whether it's buying music on the Internet from services other than iTunes and loading it on to the devices, or ripping their CD collections and transferring them over.

He did mention Nokia's policy of putting a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on the N-Series handsets so that people can use their normal headphones – which other manufacturers haven't quite got round to doing yet – and also talked figures, saying that Nokia has effectively sold more than 100 million MP3 players in 2005 and 2006.

Someone did ask the question of whether all the people who buy these MP3-capable phones are actually using them to play music, and Mustonen replied that in a study of Series 60 users, 64% are using their phones to listen to music several times a week or more.

Interestingly, radio is increasingly seen as an important feature by Nokia, so they're going to be putting it across the device range – I'm not sure if this is just N-Series or all the company's mobile phones – and has also developed a Station Directory database of over 100,000 radio stations around the world, which the FM tuner on your phone will be able to access to give you details of what's available. This year alone Nokia has sold 150 million FM-radio-enabled devices, y'know.

He also talked podcasting. "It's probably the fastest growing audiocasting phenomenon at the moment," he said. "Our podcasting application allows device owners to go out to the Internet and start searching for podcasts, subscribing to them, and then getting them delivered direct to the device using 3G or wireless LAN. It's clearly highlighting the importance of connectivity, as there's no need to use your PC with this application."

He also waxed lyrical about Nokia's new Music Recommenders service, which has 40 or so independent music shops around the world picking their favourite new tunes, which can then be bought by users. David Bowie is involved somewhere along the line too.

"It's a different approach to most recommendation engines out there," said Mustonen. "We wanted a human recommendation engine. Say I like reggae. I will subscribe to recommendations from someone in Jamaica who's lived his whole life around reggae and knows everything about it. And if I like it, I can buy it."

Next year, as previously announced, Nokia will launch some kind of bigger music download store. But the iPod was never far from the minds of us listening hacks, especially when Mustonen talked about how mobile phones' key advantage is connectivity. I've been reading Apple iPhone rumours on the internetweb for years now, and sooner or later it'll surely happen. What then for Nokia?

"There is a possibility that different players will come into the market," he said. "But if MP3 manufacturers are going to implement a phone feature, bringing in connectivity and other mobile features, they are basically doing multimedia computers and directly competing with us. And that's competition we're happy to take, and we plan to win that game."

Other stuff from this session: Nokia is keen to get USB 2.0 into its music handsets, especially the ones with larger hard drives inside, to make transferring a stack of tunes across quicker.

And fear not Mac users, there is apparently already software available on the Nokia website allowing you to sync songs you've ripped to iTunes (as opposed to bought) with your Nokia handset. I'll have a look for it and post a link once the conference is over.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 11:51 AM
anything non-apple according to some. i submit cork as exhibit A.

...and I don't own a single apple product.

Heh, I can't think of anything that came close to the iPod when it came out. I know when my brother got one, the first thing he did was find some way to use it that avoided the bundled software. I believe this was before iTunes and they used MusicMatch Jukebox. iTunes launched online music sales, but before that, the iPod was perfect for the Napster age.

I got a free one about a year ago. I don't use it much, but it's definitely nice. I would get a Mac if I didn't need Windows.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-18-07, 11:59 AM
Heh, I can't think of anything that came close to the iPod when it came out. I know when my brother got one, the first thing he did was find some way to use it that avoided the bundled software. I believe this was before iTunes and they used MusicMatch Jukebox. iTunes launched online music sales, but before that, the iPod was perfect for the Napster age.

I got a free one about a year ago. I don't use it much, but it's definitely nice. I would get a Mac if I didn't need Windows.

iTunes was there first—mid-2000.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 12:08 PM
For the Apple-haters;

Sim Womg Hoo/Creative, for one... (http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeTheater/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=44595)

November 23, 2004 | Paul Thurrott, Keith Furman | News
Creative Declares War on Apple

But the iPod came out in late 2001. Everyone was and has been trying to catch up.

I just don't know/think this is a home run for Apple. There are more factors and competition.

Personally, I think the touchscreen will be a problem because of the lack of tactile feedback.

But will that matter to other people? Will kids be able to get their parents to buy them an iPhone? How about 20 somethings?

I think it's going to launch as a hit. Apple is supposedly going to have 3M units for the launch. It wouldn't surprise me if they sell every one of them. I just don't know if it will continue that way once people get them in their hands and review them. I saw on Engadget that Apple released a comparison between their phone and a few others. I noticed while they compared the thickness and battery life, they left off the rest of the dimensions and weight. Presumably those numbers aren't as favorable in comparison.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 12:11 PM
iTunes was there first—mid-2000.

I wonder why he was trying to avoid MusicMatch Jukebox.

Edit--Found it. iTunes was Mac only until late 2003.

Kahauna Dreamer
06-18-07, 12:26 PM
But the iPod came out in late 2001. Everyone was and has been trying to catch up.

I just don't know/think this is a home run for Apple. There are more factors and competition.

Personally, I think the touchscreen will be a problem because of the lack of tactile feedback.

But will that matter to other people? Will kids be able to get their parents to buy them an iPhone? How about 20 somethings?

I think it's going to launch as a hit. Apple is supposedly going to have 3M units for the launch. It wouldn't surprise me if they sell every one of them. I just don't know if it will continue that way once people get them in their hands and review them. I saw on Engadget that Apple released a comparison between their phone and a few others. I noticed while they compared the thickness and battery life, they left off the rest of the dimensions and weight. Presumably those numbers aren't as favorable in comparison.

You had asked about iPod detractors, that's why I posted those two links/articles.

FWIW, I agree with you; I don't think it's going to be more than a flash-in-the-pan kind of deal. Apple does not hit home runs out of the box with every product—some of their stuff has been poorly-received from the beginning, like the Pippin (early-90s game controller), Newton, G4 Cube, "2nd gen." (the one that looks like a flattened volleyball with the adjustable screen) iMac.

Mac OS X, iBook and MacBook Pro work the best for me, so I use them, same with iPod Nano.

Insomniac
06-18-07, 03:14 PM
You had asked about iPod detractors, that's why I posted those two links/articles.

FWIW, I agree with you; I don't think it's going to be more than a flash-in-the-pan kind of deal. Apple does not hit home runs out of the box with every product—some of their stuff has been poorly-received from the beginning, like the Pippin (early-90s game controller), Newton, G4 Cube, "2nd gen." (the one that looks like a flattened volleyball with the adjustable screen) iMac.

Mac OS X, iBook and MacBook Pro work the best for me, so I use them, same with iPod Nano.

Apple has been hitting pretty well these last few years though. They haven't had many problems. Even the bad PR goes away (iPod batteries, easily scratchable nanos, MacBook paint pealing, MacBook Pro overheating, stock options scandal) and the stock just keeps on sailing. I think this product will be interesting, if it can overcome some barriers.

Also, my main point about the iPod is it isn't really the best thing to compare to the iPhone. IMO--At the time, it was the best MP3 player with no real competition or barriers to entry besides $$$. I don't think the iPhone will enjoy that type of market.

Ankf00
06-27-07, 11:54 AM
Pogue finally does his write up

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/technology/circuits/27pogue.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

As it turns out, much of the hype and some of the criticisms are justified. The iPhone is revolutionary; it’s flawed. It’s substance; it’s style. It does things no phone has ever done before; it lacks features found even on the most basic phones.

The phone is so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese. The glass gets smudgy — a sleeve wipes it clean — but it doesn’t scratch easily. I’ve walked around with an iPhone in my pocket for two weeks, naked and unprotected (the iPhone, that is, not me), and there’s not a mark on it.

But the bigger achievement is the software. It’s fast, beautiful, menu-free, and dead simple to operate. You can’t get lost, because the solitary physical button below the screen always opens the Home page, arrayed with icons for the iPhone’s 16 functions.

the plan isn't absurd either

Better yet, unlimited Internet service adds only $20 a month to AT&T’s voice-plan prices, about half what BlackBerry and Treo owners pay. For example, $60 gets you 450 talk minutes, 200 text messages and unlimited Internet

Then there’s the small matter of typing. Tapping the skinny little virtual keys on the screen is frustrating, especially at first.

Two things make the job tolerable. First, some very smart software offers to complete words for you, and, when you tap the wrong letter, figures out what word you intended. In both cases, tapping the Space bar accepts its suggestion.

Second, the instructional leaflet encourages you to “trust” the keyboard (or, as a product manager jokingly put it, to “use the Force”). It sounds like new-age baloney, but it works; once you stop stressing about each individual letter and just plow ahead, speed and accuracy pick up considerably.

Even so, text entry is not the iPhone’s strong suit. The BlackBerry won’t be going away anytime soon.

eiregosod
06-27-07, 12:12 PM

3 million units and at $500 a pop, that's a lot of revenue.

I'm not likely to join the i-crowd anytime soon. though the dire-phone does look pretty neat.

also , no one ever brags about unfavourable specs ;)

edit.

The internet will be as slow as those WAP phones from 5 years ago. Pity they dont have a 3G model at launch but the wifi connection will be adequate for now.

Ankf00
06-27-07, 12:24 PM
apparently favorable specs that aren't favorable enough get left off too...

The phone is so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese.

Insomniac
06-27-07, 12:27 PM

I'm not likely to join the i-crowd anytime soon. though the dire-phone does look pretty neat.

edit.

The internet will be as slow as those WAP phones from 5 years ago. Pity they dont have a 3G model at launch but the wifi connection will be adequate for now.

They will have a $600 model too. Not to mention they'll probably be getting a piece of the monthly plan charges as well.

I'm surprised you can't use music on the phone for ringtones.

eiregosod
06-27-07, 12:49 PM
They will have a $600 model too. Not to mention they'll probably be getting a piece of the monthly plan charges as well.

They'll be pushing the $2bn barrier for revenue then. That's a lot of coinage to be re-investing in future apple products.

That's pretty stupid that one cannot use music on the phone as a ringtone. Probably have to spend a small fortune on downloading them form Jamster or whoever sells them, maybe dire-tunes will stock them.

KLang
06-27-07, 03:31 PM

I wonder how many of those 3 million will be replaced by the new 3G model when released in a year or so. :yuck:

Ankf00
06-27-07, 07:21 PM
I wonder how many of those 3 million will be replaced by the new 3G model when released in a year or so. :yuck:

America, the land of opportunity via record consumer spending :D

oddlycalm
06-27-07, 08:48 PM
If they manage to make the iPhone durable they may do pretty well as we seem to be in an era of feature rich phones with short lifespans. If you don't buy a phone to take low rez pictures, trade stocks, play games, listen to music, discover where you are, or watch TV and just one that will let you store a call list, make calls and outlive the 2yr contract you're SOL these days.

After owning several of these limp POS phones I regret parting with my old Samsung which was still alive and working well after 6yrs use and dozens of hard drops on concrete. If the iPhone can do that than I might even consider going back to those double billing weasels at AT&T...

oc

Cam
06-27-07, 09:06 PM
If they manage to make the iPhone durable they may do pretty well as we seem to be in an era of feature rich phones with short lifespans. If you don't buy a phone to take low rez pictures, trade stocks, play games, listen to music, discover where you are, or watch TV and just one that will let you store a call list, make calls and outlive the 2yr contract you're SOL these days.

After owning several of these limp POS phones I regret parting with my old Samsung which was still alive and working well after 6yrs use and dozens of hard drops on concrete. If the iPhone can do that than I might even consider going back to those double billing weasels at AT&T...

oc

I am still pizzed that my old StarTac didn't survive the swim in the toilet bowl... Twas the best phone I have had so far! :flame:

ferrarigod
06-28-07, 12:24 AM
I am still pizzed that my old StarTac didn't survive the swim in the toilet bowl... Twas the best phone I have had so far! :flame:

i doubt it was the toilet bowl that ruined it. probably more like the intestines. i hear acid juices are mad strong.

Indy
06-28-07, 12:33 AM
Damn, being an Macdork, I want one of those in a bad way!

Still, given Apple's track record with first generation products and fast development curves, I think I will let the general public beta test it first. :D

Insomniac
06-28-07, 08:53 AM

I was partly wrong on this. You can chop out 30 seconds of a track you already bought to use as a ring tone for $0.99.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/27/itunes-7-3-with-custom-ringtones/

Ed_Severson
06-28-07, 09:12 AM
http://208.116.9.205/10/graphics/pics/pictures_apple_iproduct.jpg

RichK
06-28-07, 10:01 AM

oc

:laugh:

I feel the same way. I wish I could get a phone without a color screen, which kills battery life. A couple friends of mine have their favorite "old" phones, and just buy a few of them on eBay. Also, Verizon has a "rugged" phone for sale right now - water/shock resistant.

SteveH
06-28-07, 10:11 AM

I feel the same way. I wish I could get a phone without a color screen, which kills battery life. A couple friends of mine have their favorite "old" phones, and just buy a few of them on eBay. Also, Verizon has a "rugged" phone for sale right now - water/shock resistant.

Bingo! The best phone I've ever owned was a Nokia 6160. Had it for 7 years!!! Replaced batteries several times but the phone was ivirtually ndestructable. And it was only a phone, no extra battery robbing doo dads on it.

indyfan31
06-28-07, 10:25 AM

As a fan of Apple products, that's just plain ..... :laugh: :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
06-28-07, 10:25 AM
Nokia still makes basic hockey puck phones. I've got one, I think its a 6015. Drop it, drown it, etc..........does'nt matter.

eiregosod
06-28-07, 10:30 AM

oc

the consumer self-conscious city slicker wannabes need the small phones in order to look cool and fit in with their ex-high school chums.

There are some features of the dire-phone that are nice, for example the sensors that detect the taps etc.. They'd have to be MEMS type sensors . In terms of innovation, mobile telephony & music players have been done.

eiregosod
06-28-07, 10:33 AM

TFF! :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks!

(that pic precisely describes some of the apple bloggers)

eiregosod
06-29-07, 08:53 AM
has anyone been trampled on in getting one of these contraptions yet?

Insomniac
06-29-07, 10:17 AM
has anyone been trampled on in getting one of these contraptions yet?

They don't go on sale until 6 PM local time.

Insomniac
06-29-07, 10:18 AM
All Apple employees employed for more than 1 year will get a free 8 GB iPhone ($600). Apple must want the phone to really be out there and they must be making crazy money on the phone as well as the service.

tllips
06-29-07, 10:32 AM

AND people are lining up outside the Michigan Ave store at 7am in Chicago. :eek:

eiregosod
06-29-07, 10:58 AM
AND people are lining up outside the Michigan Ave store at 7am in Chicago. :eek:

don't they have work to do?

cameraman
06-29-07, 12:38 PM

You have a high resolution copy of this? I feel the need to make a poster...

(Message typed on a 17" MacBook Pro while listening to an 80GB iPod:rofl: )

cameraman
06-29-07, 12:40 PM

Hell people started camping out in front of the Apple store in Salt lake on Monday:saywhat:

Insomniac
06-29-07, 01:04 PM
I just meant the trampling wouldn't commence until 6 PM local time.

On a side note, does AT&T let you cancel your contract within 30 days like Sprint?

chop456
06-29-07, 07:20 PM
Hell people started camping out in front of the Apple store in Salt lake on Monday:saywhat:

I live in relative podunk and there was a line of about 25 people in front of the Cingular store at 5pm. :gomer:

eiregosod
06-29-07, 08:33 PM
are they sold out yet?

SteveH
06-30-07, 12:44 AM
Anyone ever have an iPod with a battery that wouldn't hold more than a 45 minute charge?

At least, those batteries weren't soldered to the motherboard like they are in the iPhone. If you were really ambitious you could change it yourself. Or if you were really lucky, you were included in the class action suit and got Apple to do it for free - plus shipping and handling.

Think a cell phone/mp3 player/camera/bluetooth/wifi device will use a battery much? One with a big color screen?

Planned obsolescence @ $600 a pop.

Insomniac
06-30-07, 11:48 AM
are they sold out yet?

Nah, they didn't sell out. You can go get one today.

Insomniac
06-30-07, 11:50 AM
Anyone ever have an iPod with a battery that wouldn't hold more than a 45 minute charge?

At least, those batteries weren't soldered to the motherboard like they are in the iPhone. If you were really ambitious you could change it yourself. Or if you were really lucky, you were included in the class action suit and got Apple to do it for free - plus shipping and handling.

Think a cell phone/mp3 player/camera/bluetooth/wifi device will use a battery much? One with a big color screen?

Planned obsolescence @ $600 a pop.

They'll have a battery replacement program. Hopefully you can go into a store and get it done (while transferring over all your data/settings) instead of backing it all up and mailing it in.

coolhand
06-30-07, 03:18 PM
If it is on the MB I dont think they can change it at the store unless it is connected in a special way.

Video card for lapptops are on the MB and you cannot upgrade them

SteveH
06-30-07, 04:19 PM
My son told me about the battery last night. So I googled to find anything on the web that might support that.

Anyone wanna look inside an iPhone (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3026)? Self replacement of the battery looks entirely out of the question. So does replacement in a store. At a tech center, yes. For sure, I want to give up my phone for a week in order to get a new battery. Or not.

Insomniac
06-30-07, 05:29 PM
If it is on the MB I dont think they can change it at the store unless it is connected in a special way.

Video card for lapptops are on the MB and you cannot upgrade them

I didn't expect that. That's why I said hopefully you'll be able to transfer your data/settings over to a "new" phone to replace your battery. But it's Li-Ion, you should get 500-750 charge cycles out of it before it has trouble keeping a charge.

Insomniac
06-30-07, 05:30 PM
My son told me about the battery last night. So I googled to find anything on the web that might support that.

Anyone wanna look inside an iPhone (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3026)? Self replacement of the battery looks entirely out of the question. So does replacement in a store. At a tech center, yes. For sure, I want to give up my phone for a week in order to get a new battery. Or not.

Even with the iPod battery replacement program, you don't get your iPod back. Just a "new" one with a new battery.

coolhand
06-30-07, 09:34 PM
I didn't expect that. That's why I said hopefully you'll be able to transfer your data/settings over to a "new" phone to replace your battery. But it's Li-Ion, you should get 500-750 charge cycles out of it before it has trouble keeping a charge.

I highly doubt that, you cannot do that with any Apple software with your IPOD because of DRM stuff. So I doubt you can do that with the iPhone do to it having music and video.

coolhand
06-30-07, 09:35 PM
Even with the iPod battery replacement program, you don't get your iPod back. Just a "new" one with a new battery.

And withempty memory

cameraman
07-01-07, 01:58 PM
You can Sync an iPhone just like you do an iPod. You should have just about everything backed up on your computer.

Insomniac
07-01-07, 04:29 PM
I highly doubt that, you cannot do that with any Apple software with your IPOD because of DRM stuff. So I doubt you can do that with the iPhone do to it having music and video.

I didn't think about the DRM. The stores could have special software just for that. I'd think that it would be in the customer's best interest for them to be able to go into an AT&T or Apple store and leave 10 minutes later without having to do anything.

Insomniac
07-01-07, 04:29 PM
And withempty memory

Yes, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

Insomniac
07-01-07, 04:31 PM
You can Sync an iPhone just like you do an iPod. You should have just about everything backed up on your computer.

That would be fine if you mailed yours in to get a new battery, but seems stupid for an everyday device like a cell phone. I hope they have a better solution than you having to go home and reload it or bringing your laptop with you.

Dr. Corkski
07-01-07, 08:23 PM
http://www.pandachute.com/videos/iphone_lady_gets_owned

Ankf00
07-02-07, 06:06 AM
That would be fine if you mailed yours in to get a new battery, but seems stupid for an everyday device like a cell phone. I hope they have a better solution than you having to go home and reload it or bringing your laptop with you.

again, I don't own a single apple product and I doubt I will any time soon, but you seem to repeatedly be grasping for straws with which to criticize cupertino under an affected banner of impartiality.

Insomniac
07-02-07, 09:11 AM
again, I don't own a single apple product and I doubt I will any time soon, but you seem to repeatedly be grasping for straws with which to criticize cupertino under an affected banner of impartiality.

??? I'm trying to clarify how the policy works on iPods in a conversation with coolhand and how that would not be the best way for a cellphone. I don't know how Apple will handle the iPhone. You don't agree that having to mail your cell phone in (if they do indeed do it the same way as the iPod) is a stupid thing to do?

And my initial response was to someone who called it planned obsolescence. I don't know where you're coming from. I'm under no mission to criticize Apple or the iPhone. I don't hace a problem with it. I have wondered about it's eventual success and have commented on things I don't like about it.

I also own an iPod and would love to have a Mac except I do not want to run two operating systems and must have Windows.

I'm sorry you think I'm pretending to be "impartial" when my agenda is to criticize Apple.

racermike
07-02-07, 12:27 PM
I would not buy an iPhone, because I dont want to wear out my MP3 player by it doubling as a phone. You have a $600 phone, that you will wear out in a year from use, dropping, etc.

BTW, people here in the PacNW cannot activate their phones because of technical problems with AT&T, and registration backups.

People have $600 paperweights for the next few days.

(I am lovin my new Palm 755p Smartphone)

dando
07-02-07, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine got sucked into buying one over the weekend, so I played with it for a bit this AM. Very nice form factor, UI, etc. The screen is awesome! He said it was seemless synching with Outlook unlike other Windoze smartphones he's had. Overall I'd rate it a 9. I'll wait and see how the first gen goes before I look into a future iteration.

-Kevin

TrueBrit
07-02-07, 04:31 PM
I kinda like this iPhone (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Apple-iPhone-Functional-Equivalent-no-reserve_W0QQitemZ110144691746QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64 355)

Who isn't surprised that the NSA's communications division (AT&T) hadn't planned for the increase in subscriptions?:D

RichK
07-02-07, 06:30 PM
hvNujZ3ZDKs

Insomniac
07-02-07, 06:33 PM
I kinda like this iPhone (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Apple-iPhone-Functional-Equivalent-no-reserve_W0QQitemZ110144691746QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64 355)

Who isn't surprised that the NSA's communications division (AT&T) hadn't planned for the increase in subscriptions?:D

He's a liar! You can't call 911 with that iPhone!

Methanolandbrats
07-02-07, 11:19 PM

Who isn't surprised that the NSA's communications division (AT&T) hadn't planned for the increase in subscriptions?:D Hell no. One of the worst companies of all-time. I'd pour my life savings into an airline before putting a nickle into those peckerwoods. Sucked 10 years ago and the "new" ATT sucks worse.

coolhand
07-03-07, 12:32 AM
New AT&T is SBC/Cingular. Changed a lot since the last one. Interesting how they have all got back together

I like the old ATT mobile that was bough by cingular. Cingular has the stupid up front billing
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/RBOCs_Dec_06.jpg

oddlycalm
07-03-07, 12:50 AM
Hell no. One of the worst companies of all-time. I'd pour my life savings into an airline before putting a nickle into those peckerwoods. Sucked 10 years ago and the "new" ATT sucks worse. Which is why it's scary to realize Quest is infinitely worse. :thumdown:

BTW, these are the companies that if the FCC let them have all that frequency band back in 1992 that they would bring us all fiber optic. Aside from Verizon in urban areas, still waiting....:shakehead

oc

eiregosod
07-03-07, 11:13 AM
Which is why it's scary to realize Quest is infinitely worse. :thumdown:

BTW, these are the companies that if the FCC let them have all that frequency band back in 1992 that they would bring us all fiber optic. Aside from Verizon in urban areas, still waiting....:shakehead

oc

is the 800MHz band (GSM)?

they probably did go all fiber optic, fiber optic from mast tower to mast tower ;)

Dr. Corkski
07-03-07, 11:18 AM
New AT&T is SBC/Cingular. Changed a lot since the last one. Interesting how they have all got back together

I like the old ATT mobile that was bough by cingular. Cingular has the stupid up front billing
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/RBOCs_Dec_06.jpgAre you going through the list of names the SF Giants have had for the ballpark? :laugh:

Turbodog
07-03-07, 11:31 AM
The Death Star:tony:

http://www.npowergdcr.org/att.jpg

extramundane
07-03-07, 11:34 AM

Hell, even with Verizon in urban areas, we're still waiting. Granted, they still haven't seemed to master the copper phone line in my neighborhood, so I'm a little skeptical they'll get fiber right should they ever decide to offer it here in the ghetto. But it would be nice to think that I'd have phone & internet service that didn't go on the blink every time a squirrel farts.