PDA

View Full Version : How deep are TG's pockets?

Wheel-Nut
06-14-07, 03:11 PM
Bernie says USGP not vital . . . .

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/38043/

Cam
06-14-07, 03:30 PM

I have a feeling Merc, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Red Bull, Lenovo, AMD, Intel and so on might disagree with that somewhat. :shakehead

eiregosod
06-14-07, 03:31 PM
Dear Tony,

Thanks for playing along in 1990 & 1991 when we wanted you to setup the world sportscar championship and to adopt f1 engine specs for the Indy 500.
Your creation of the Indy Racing League was mutually beneficial, and we saluted you when you paid handsomely to upgrade your track to accomodate F1. Now in 2007, we have better offers to stage F1 grand prix in.

So long,

Bernard Ecclestone

eiregosod
06-14-07, 03:34 PM
I have a feeling Merc, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Red Bull, Lenovo, AMD, Intel and so on might disagree with that somewhat. :shakehead

perhaps, but I don't think that F1 is their primary marketing avenue into the USA.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 03:44 PM
perhaps, but I don't think that F1 is their primary marketing avenue into the USA.

true, but if they're spending untold millions I imagine they'd want as much exposure as possible in this market

eiregosod
06-14-07, 04:02 PM
true, but if they're spending untold millions I imagine they'd want as much exposure as possible in this market

we'll see if they step up to the plate to save the race.

dando
06-14-07, 04:05 PM
Meh. Just BE and FTG getting ready for Dancing with the Stars. I'm sure Joie will git 'er done. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Gangrel
06-14-07, 04:08 PM
...IMS president Joie Chitwood...

:laugh:

Wheel-Nut
06-14-07, 04:43 PM
Meanwhile -

“I get along with (Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner) Tony George and I hope we can strike a deal, but we have offers from other places in the U.S. too.”

any idea where? Las Vegas and New York have been mentioned.

Easy
06-14-07, 04:57 PM
Seems to me that Bernie says this about every non-emerging market GP where the local government isn't backing the $20,000,000 fee he likes to pocket. He was bagging on Montreal last week. Silverstone will get the business too. Its frankly a tired tactic.

FTG
06-14-07, 05:39 PM

Or they might want to focus their efforts in parts of the world where F1 is more mainstream. Some people think exposure to everyone is better than "as much as possible," but obviously you're not one of them.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 06:01 PM
they're going to get the mainstream eyeballs on TV no matter where they are.

some would think it would be prudent business-wise to attempt to tap into one of the largest economies on the planet, which also doesn't happen to be one of those "mainstream" countries that is already exposed to the sponsors via the sport.

FTG
06-14-07, 06:14 PM
Yep. Some people think a small group of devoted fans in the US is worth marketing to. I'm one of them. I'm glad you agree with me. Though there are some who think that if you can't be popular with everyone you've failed. BMW probably isn't much interested in people making 20 grand a year. Red Bull is interested in the die hards. It's difficult to say how the other sponsors might feel about it.

cameraman
06-14-07, 06:55 PM
An all expenses paid trip to Indianapolis isn't one of the top hundred places that would spring to a marketer's mind barring an F1 race. I think the sponsors would not mind in the least if the race was moved as long as the replacement venue didn't suck. I don't think such a place exists at the moment but it would not shock me to see some deep-pocketed location appear one of these years.

Cam
06-14-07, 07:17 PM
An all expenses paid trip to Indianapolis isn't one of the top hundred places that would spring to a marketer's mind barring an F1 race. I think the sponsors would not mind in the least if the race was moved as long as the replacement venue didn't suck. I don't think such a place exists at the moment but it would not shock me to see some deep-pocketed location appear one of these years.

What? Like NY or Seattle? They cant even get approval for an oval track for NeckCar! :gomer: :laugh:

cameraman
06-14-07, 07:28 PM
Bernie is no where near so stupid as to propose building a track on Staten Island...

eiregosod
06-14-07, 07:28 PM
I don't know what currency Bernie gets paid in, but if FTG is paying him in dollars then is getting a whole lotta less bang for buck than he did in 2000.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 09:51 PM
An all expenses paid trip to Indianapolis isn't one of the top hundred places that would spring to a marketer's mind barring an F1 race. I think the sponsors would not mind in the least if the race was moved as long as the replacement venue didn't suck. don't have to sell that to me, I spend the extra bones to go to MTL if I'm doing a GP. but my previous statement was in terms of a zero sum situation, USGP @ Indy or no USGP...

jonovision_man
06-15-07, 06:54 AM

Bernie has said that the UK is not vital... he's said that about pretty much every country at one time or another, especially around when contract time come up.

He wants to be in the U.S., he's playing games.

jono

rosawendel
06-15-07, 08:41 AM
simple pre-deal posturing in an attempt to drive up the price. i recall he did it in previous years also...

Wheel-Nut
06-15-07, 09:39 AM
Bernie has said that the UK is not vital... he's said that about pretty much every country at one time or another, especially around when contract time come up.

He wants to be in the U.S., he's playing games.

jono

Yes, Bernie's playing games, games he usually wins right? and yes, he wants to be in the USA, but where? Again, how deep are Tg's pockets?

KLang
06-15-07, 09:58 AM
I hope they do relocate the Grand Prix. I'd like to attend one some time and I refuse to go to Indy.

Vegas is the only location that makes sense to me. But somebody has to build a track first. What ever happened to the one Wynn wanted to build on his property?

Ankf00
06-15-07, 10:59 AM
I hope they do relocate the Grand Prix. I'd like to attend one some time and I refuse to go to Indy.

IAH - YUL works 60% of the time, every time.

jonovision_man
06-15-07, 01:11 PM
Yes, Bernie's playing games, games he usually wins right? and yes, he wants to be in the USA, but where? Again, how deep are Tg's pockets?

Usually wins, yes... haven't seen him lose yet that I recall. Just ask Spa. He couldn't possibly scrub the most popular race on the calendar could he? Surprise! He did. He holds all the cards, there's less than 20 races to dole out and every country in the world seems to want one.

jono

FTG
06-15-07, 02:53 PM
but my previous statement was in terms of a zero sum situation, USGP @ Indy or no USGP...

It's not zero sum. He can move the race anywhere else in the world. India just got one. I'm sure Pakistan will want one one too and China will want one more than India. Bernie will go to the highest bidder, because that's what he does and BMW sales are growing in all those places.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 03:20 PM
That was what I meant, he moves the race out of the country if he's moving it at all.

mueber
06-15-07, 05:43 PM
Bernie is just posturing. My guess is that the race will be back, and it will be in Gomerville. I can't imagine another set of circumstances that would be better for the teams and the series.

I have to think that a Grand Prix of India is in the offing, and that might be the negotiating ploy.

formulaben
06-15-07, 09:56 PM
Seems to me that Bernie says this about every non-emerging market GP where the local government isn't backing the $20,000,000 fee he likes to pocket. He was bagging on Montreal last week. Silverstone will get the business too. Its frankly a lucrative tactic.

There, fixed it for ya. ;)