PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor

WickerBill
06-14-07, 09:48 AM
In the cube next to me, the guy must have a nasty case of OCD. He whistles all day long. Through his teeth. He clicks the clicker on his pen extremely fast, for up to 10 minutes straight. He then turns it over (presumably when the thumb is tired from clicking) and pounds it on his desk. This shakes MY desk too. He also drums his fingers for long spells, which is just as bad.

Now, he's a *great* guy. He's in his 50s. Can I say something to him? It would almost have to be something like "Hey, you know that thing you've been doing compulsively for 30 years? I'd like to you stop it, immediately." I can't do that, can I?

Do I have any recourse without completely offending him?

I look to the great wisdom of OC to help. Hee hee.

KLang
06-14-07, 09:50 AM
I thought after the big promotion you would be out of a cube. ;)

JT265
06-14-07, 09:50 AM
Drink lots of beer, and every time he starts with the pen click drop a couple of nasty sneaker farts his way.

I know I'd stop in heartbeat. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
06-14-07, 09:56 AM
He probably doesn't realize he is doing it. Talk to him about it. If he tells you to f-off burn a CD of an earl drone fest and play it so he can hear it! :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
06-14-07, 09:59 AM
Go to HR and tell them to move you.

Andrew Longman
06-14-07, 10:30 AM
Do what you have to do, but avoid the urge to strap dynomite to your chest and come to work heavily armed.

Cam
06-14-07, 10:51 AM
Declare war. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8a0f/) :D

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/usb_rocket_launcher2.jpg

devilmaster
06-14-07, 11:31 AM
whistle with him, loudly and off key. It might not get him to stop but someone else might tell both of you to shaddap.

yer off the hook then. ;)

RHR_Fan
06-14-07, 11:55 AM
Drink lots of beer, and every time he starts with the pen click drop a couple of nasty sneaker farts his way.

I know I'd stop in heartbeat. :laugh:

:rofl:

Is your neighbour the kind of person who might get offended if you brought it up straight to his face?

Or you could take away his red stapler, remove him from payroll and hopefully it will "work itself out." ;)

~Nicole

Elmo T
06-14-07, 12:01 PM
A couple of co-workers complained to HR about another employee constantly coughing and clearing his throat. HR purchased radios for their cubicles. :rofl:

I'd try to politely mention it...

rocket
06-14-07, 12:04 PM
^^

If that doesn't work just come in way early and empty his cubicle out.

I'm envisioning something from Office Space, what I want to know Wickerbill...is which character are you:D

Gnam
06-14-07, 12:30 PM
If that doesn't work just come in way early and empty his cubicle out.

Replace all his pens with pencils. Whenever he whistles, you whistle.

Insomniac
06-14-07, 12:47 PM
I think you can mention that his whistling is distracting and his pen slamming shakes your desk and ask him to be mindful of it. Habits are very hard to change and maybe your bringing attention to it might make him more conscious of it. I'd say your best bet is to move if you can or if you can tolerate the noise, at least get some separation so you desk doesn't shake.

Rob
06-14-07, 01:04 PM
One of my coworkers has a habit of snapping his fingers a lot, which drives me up the wall, especially since he has no rhythm when he does it. I just pick something up and hand it to him. Not sure what I'd do if he whistled a lot. Force feed him a stick of gum, maybe?

nrc
06-14-07, 01:23 PM
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/05prodsbymodel/PLUG/$FILE/PLUG_1.jpg?OpenElement

dando
06-14-07, 02:01 PM
Get a set of screaming monkeys off of Woot and send one his way when he starts clicking. :D

-Kevin

RichK
06-14-07, 03:13 PM
I've found that humor often works to softly break the news to people like this. Something like "hey, was that an earthquake - oh, that was you. What the hell are you doing over there?"

If they don't get a humorous hint, they won't ever get it.

WickerBill
06-14-07, 03:45 PM
Do what you have to do, but avoid the urge to strap dynomite to your chest and come to work heavily armed.

D'oh! And I just bought all the supplies!

Yes, I think he may be offended; I'm fairly certain he knows he does it but it is a habit; yes I'm still in a cube and will always be in one in this company (my boss's boss's boss is in one); I am scouting for empty cubes out of earshot daily; I wear headphones all the time now to avoid the noise but it doesn't stop the shaking.

I nearly threw a party late last week when he was out for a day.

Robstar
06-14-07, 08:00 PM
Or you could take away his red stapler, remove him from payroll and hopefully it will "work itself out." ;)

I'm envisioning something from Office Space, what I want to know Wickerbill...is which character are you:D

"I'm gonna need you to go ahead &..."

Indy
06-14-07, 09:19 PM
I would rather die than work in another cubicle.

I had a cubicle neighbor at a previous employer who would play his radio all day, just loud enough to hear it, tuned to an easy listening station which played the most atrocious manufactured music. They had a play list of about 15 songs, my favorite of which was that Whitney Houston song where she wails like a cat in heat, "I-I-IIIII-IIIIIIII-will always love yooooooooouuuuu-ooooohoohooohoooohooohoooooooo...". You know the one. This guy had the habit of humming off key to these awful songs almost continuously. The boss would do nothing. HR told me to try to be less sensitive. The guy told me that the handbook allowed him to have a radio and play it at that level, that others had complained before, and that HR had approved it the way it is.

So my advice to you is, quit.

Opposite Lock
06-14-07, 09:31 PM
So my advice to you is, quit.

That's a perfectly cromulent line of reasoning.

However, I would hate to waste an opportunity for superglue. First to the pen's clicking mechanism. Next time, glue the pen to the desk.

Haven't thought of a superglue-related solution to the teeth-whistling yet, but I'm pretty sure there is one.

TKGAngel
06-14-07, 09:53 PM
You could suspend his clicky pen in jello.

nissan gtp
06-14-07, 10:18 PM
I like the superglue idea, endless possibilities.

finding a new cube is probably a better move :D

Joelski
06-14-07, 10:23 PM
He's reached his 5th decade and obviously derives no other joy from life than to annoy you. Kill him.

Cam
06-14-07, 11:01 PM
/me has been unemploed since January. Put a job app into would be a dream (municipal) job roughly 3 months ago...Got a reply just today! :eek: They are calling me in for an interview! w00t!

Joelski
06-14-07, 11:04 PM
That's good, right? :D:thumbup:

Cam
06-14-07, 11:09 PM
That's good, right? :D:thumbup:

Jubetcha! Its doing what I wanna do. Working with mostly clueless teachers... ;) Its a 3 minute commute after having a 45 minute commute the past 10 years.

Honestly it really sounds like a fun job... And what I really want to do. :)

Cam
06-14-07, 11:13 PM
Crap! I just threadjacked WB's thread.... Sorry!

I still recommend declaring war. :D

swift
06-14-07, 11:32 PM
"Hey, you know that thing you've been doing compulsively for 30 years? I'd like to you stop it, immediately." I can't do that, can I?
yes. you've gotta stand up for yourself. directly tell this *great guy* how much his clicking/drumming/whistling makes your job difficult. the sooner the better...

"I-I-IIIII-IIIIIIII-will always love yooooooooouuuuu-ooooohoohooohoooohooohoooooooo...".
[futurama_reference]
"the humans are attacking!!"
[\futurama_reference]

nrc
06-15-07, 02:39 AM
Time to delve deeper. Do these things really bother you in and of themselves or is there some underlying personal issue? You know, like the guy's a total waste of cube space?

nrc
06-15-07, 02:41 AM
Crap! I just threadjacked WB's thread.... Sorry!

I still recommend declaring war. :D

Ha! This is today's Woot! (http://woot.com)

719g8-MZ6LE

Gnam
06-15-07, 03:07 AM
1. Attach windchimes to your desk on the off chance he hates windchimes.

2. Whenever he stops shaking, you start shaking.

3. "Hey Yo! STFU!" [/3:14 chappelle]

67T5riDCAMc

chop456
06-15-07, 03:11 AM
Ha! This is today's Woot! (http://woot.com)

^ Needs more shock and awe/saturation bombing.

EmZ-QKglyrc

WickerBill
06-15-07, 06:36 AM
Time to delve deeper. Do these things really bother you in and of themselves or is there some underlying personal issue? You know, like the guy's a total waste of cube space?

Nope -- he's fantastic at what he does, hard worker, good guy. Have talked with him for years when we didn't sit next to each other and always used him as an expert resource on a few things.

Now, he's just "the whistler".

To those suggesting a call to HR -- I would be called "intolerant". I promise.

I guess I'll have to confront him, somehow. It isn't my forte, especially with people I respect. Ugh.

RusH
06-15-07, 07:02 AM
This thread calls for pwanage :D
http://www.pwned.nl/

extramundane
06-15-07, 07:16 AM
Jubetcha! Its doing what I wanna do. Working with mostly clueless teachers... ;)

Sounds like you're taking my job. If you think you're drinking a lot now, just wait.

(good luck, dude :thumbup: )

Turn7
06-15-07, 09:12 AM
When he starts the clicky crap with the pen, just get up and stare at him until he says, "what?" as he stops clicking. Then just simply say thank you.

After 3 or 4 times doing that it'll sink in. Maybe.

If that doesn't work, slash his tires.

Foxman
06-15-07, 09:26 AM
In the cube next to me, the guy must have a nasty case of OCD. He whistles all day long. Through his teeth. He clicks the clicker on his pen extremely fast, for up to 10 minutes straight. He then turns it over (presumably when the thumb is tired from clicking) and pounds it on his desk. This shakes MY desk too. He also drums his fingers for long spells, which is just as bad.

Now, he's a *great* guy. He's in his 50s. Can I say something to him? It would almost have to be something like "Hey, you know that thing you've been doing compulsively for 30 years? I'd like to you stop it, immediately." I can't do that, can I?

Do I have any recourse without completely offending him?

I look to the great wisdom of OC to help. Hee hee.

Just be as loud and rude as he is. If he shakes your cube, shake his. if he clicks his pen, beat a hammer on the desk. He'll get the idea.

devilmaster
06-15-07, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=nrc;198172]Ha! This is today's Woot! (http://woot.com)

Already sold out.... damn.

WB, you buy 3? ;) :D

SteveH
06-15-07, 11:14 AM
Each time he leaves his cube, give it a dose of this (http://www.prankplace.com/fun_fartspray.htm).

Within a week, he'll ask to be moved.

Andrew Longman
06-15-07, 04:41 PM
I'll try to give you a serious reply based on my experience helping high performing teams.

Ask him if he's open to some feedback. If he says no, go the dynamite and 9mm route:D , but only the very rare will refuse feedback (acting on it is another matter) It puts the situation on him. Whatever you say, he asked for it.

Tell him that you respect his work and he clearly takes work seriously. You know that he would want you to work as effectively as as you can, but he is doing a few things that are creating a distraction for you. Tell him specifically what it is and the effect on your work.

Make an agreement to remind him if necessary and be open to feedback yourself. Tell him that you otherwise are happy to be working close to him.

Do not involve your boss or HR unless you go them together. Don't let him or yourself become the victim. If he just can't stop, depersonalize it and go together to the right decision maker and say everything is fine but he needs to do these things that annoy you to be productive and you can't be annoyed and productive. Together ask that he move to a place where he can do what he wants and no one will know.

Alternatively, if he can't stop make a decision to "Let it Go", and I mean really let it go, not simmer in a quiet rage. Or, leave the job. Those choices; confront, let it go, or leave are your only answers... Unless you go the posal route but I haven't seen that work out too well.

JLMannin
06-17-07, 10:13 AM
Bring in really, really smelly lunches, like kimshee, and eat them in your cubicle.

Turn him in to the ergonomic police. All that repetitive motion is sure to result in an OSHA reportable injury.

Ask an industrial hygenist to measure the sound level of the pen clicks - if it is higher than 80db, he will have to stop (A long-shot for sure).

You could call the ergo police and claim the desk shaking is causing is causing you a repetive force injury.

Do you have a laptop? Can you get network access in a wireless location? Your best bet is to find an empty cube. I personally would find approaching a co-worker about annoying habits to be a very difficult thing to do.

EDwardo
06-17-07, 10:36 AM
Report him to Homeland Security. Suspicious behavior.

:eek:

G.
06-17-07, 01:45 PM
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2007061174577.jpg

WickerBill
06-17-07, 02:06 PM
Oh my God. Scott Adams reads my mind.

So anyone know a good anonymous email place that I can send him this comic?

Joelski
06-17-07, 02:55 PM
I would think you would be skilled enough to print it and lay it on his unattended desk. ;)

WickerBill
06-17-07, 04:12 PM
I'll have to be stealthy.

Sean O'Gorman
06-17-07, 04:16 PM
Oh my God. Scott Adams reads my mind.

So anyone know a good anonymous email place that I can send him this comic?

I'll do it.

emjaya
06-17-07, 05:06 PM
Oh dear, I've just realized I am Alice. :eek: :rofl:

matthole
06-17-07, 08:19 PM
I saw that Dilbert strip in the paper today and thought of this thread. Obviously I wasn't the only one. :D

nissan gtp
06-17-07, 08:58 PM
I'll do it.

me too.

better yet, let's ALL do it :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
06-17-07, 09:37 PM
me too.

better yet, let's ALL do it :rofl::thumbup: What's his email? Time to carpet bomb his in-box. Shock and awe x 2 :D

Andrew Longman
06-18-07, 04:22 AM
I saw that Dilbert strip in the paper today and thought of this thread. Obviously I wasn't the only one. :D

Scott Adams hangs at OC? Cool.:)