PDA

View Full Version : ISS doomed?

Joelski
06-13-07, 11:27 PM
Gyroscopic stabilizer failures, redundancy collapse of the Russian computer segment and requiring assistance from the shuttle's small thrusters have plagued the station since delivery of the S6 truss segment. Tonight, talk is of possibly vacating the station in a worst case scenario. Add to this the bad week the shuttle is having with so-called negligible launch damage. Atlantis' crew is already staying an extra 48-72 hours and may stay longer, eating into their weather holdover days. Oh the drama!

ferrarigod
06-14-07, 02:20 AM
what's a $100 billion among friends. course we paid double cause we had to front russia, but we'll get them drunk on stoly and get with their wives as payback.

:gomer:

greenie
06-14-07, 02:36 AM
They're proving the world's round up there - and I'm sure there's some bad sex going on with those junkie cosmonauts. :gomer:

Fix the Hubble and be done w/it. Someone should drag that useless contraption and try to plant it on the moon where it should have been to begin with. I doubt that gyroscope issues would be in play there. :gomer: x Apollo 9

chop456
06-14-07, 02:47 AM
^ It's posts like that that make me want to walk the streets behind a green sheet of glass.

KLang
06-14-07, 09:22 AM
CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/06/14/space.shuttle.ap/index.html) sounds less dire then the original post. They are installing additional power generating capacity. Somebody must have goofed or miscalculated something that caused the computer to go down.

Do the Russians use Windows on the ISS? :p

Kahauna Dreamer
06-14-07, 10:38 AM
CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/06/14/space.shuttle.ap/index.html) sounds less dire then the original post. They are installing additional power generating capacity. Somebody must have goofed or miscalculated something that caused the computer to go down.

Do the Russians use Windows on the ISS? :p
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
06-14-07, 10:47 AM
I hope they put ViseGrips, duct tape and zip-ties on the Shuttle, sounds like it's time to Gomer the thing together and hope it works :eek:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Space Shuttle's Return May Be Delayed
By MIKE SCHNEIDER

HOUSTON (AP) - Russian computers that control the international space station's orientation and supply of oxygen and water have failed, potentially extending the space shuttle's mission - or cutting it short.

Russian engineers aren't sure why the computers stopped working. A failure of this type has never occurred before on the space station.

The station is operated primarily by the Russian and U.S. space agencies, with contributions from the Canadian, European and Japanese space agencies.

``We have plenty of resources, so we have plenty of time to sort this out,'' said Mike Suffredini, NASA manager of the space station program.

But the computer failure could extend space shuttle Atlantis' mission by at least a day and, in a worst-case scenario, force the space station's three crew members to return to Earth early if the computers aren't fixed.

Atlantis' mission had already been extended from 11 to 13 days so that astronauts can go on a spacewalk to repair a thermal blanket covering an engine pod that peeled up during launch.

Suffredini said he expected the problem to be fixed in the next couple of days. In a worst-case scenario, if at least one of the computers wasn't operating after the shuttle left, the space station's three crew members could return to Earth, he said.

Thrusters on the docked space shuttle, along with the space station's gyroscopes, have been fired periodically to help maintain the space station's positioning since the computers failed earlier this week.

The space station needs the maneuvering thrusters controlled by the Russian computers for docking and avoiding space debris.

Without the Russian oxygen-machine running, the space station has a 56-day supply of oxygen left. ``If we are in that position, we have an option to depart,'' Suffredini said.

Russian engineers think the computers' failure could have been triggered by a power source. The space station earlier this week got a new pair of solar arrays that were delivered by Atlantis and unfolded Tuesday to help provide power.

During a spacewalk on Wednesday, astronauts Patrick Forrester and Steven Swanson started to bring to life a rotating joint that will allow the new pair of solar arrays to track the sun. Astronauts will finish prepping the joint on another spacewalk.

Forrester and Swanson also helped retract a 115-foot wing of an old solar array that will be folded up into a storage box and moved to another location later this year.

Only 13 of the array's 31 sections were folded up, so flight controllers and astronauts will try to fold up the rest of the solar wing by remote commands on Thursday.

NASA managers decided Wednesday to use a spacewalk on Friday to repair a torn thermal blanket located over an engine pod near the shuttle's tail.

The astronauts will secure the blanket using staples found in the shuttle's medical kit and loop-headed pins that come from the shuttle's tile repair kit. If those methods don't work, NASA flight controllers will have the astronauts sew it into place using a stainless steel wire and an instrument that resembles a small needle.

Engineers don't think the damaged section of the thermal blanket, which protects part of the shuttle from the blazing heat of re-entry, would endanger the spacecraft during landing. But it could cause enough damage to require schedule-busting repairs.

NASA has focused intensely on any problems that could jeopardize a shuttle's re-entry into Earth's atmosphere since shuttle damage resulted in the 2003 Columbia disaster that killed seven astronauts.

KLang
06-14-07, 11:10 AM
The astronauts will secure the blanket using staples found in the shuttle's medical kit and loop-headed pins that come from the shuttle's tile repair kit. If those methods don't work, NASA flight controllers will have the astronauts sew it into place using a stainless steel wire and an instrument that resembles a small needle.

Sounds like they need MacGyver. :D

Boy I really don't think I would want to be messing around with staples or something that resembles a needle while wearing a pressurized spacesuit. :saywhat:

G.
06-14-07, 11:25 AM
Here's the problem.

Astronauts will finish prepping the joint on another spacewalk. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-043.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-027.gif

JLMannin
06-14-07, 11:33 AM
Maybe the Russian computers were infected with spyware and are now spambots . . . . . .:p

Joelski
06-14-07, 11:51 AM
Someone should drag that useless contraption and try to plant it on the moon where it should have been to begin with. I doubt that gyroscope issues would be in play there. :gomer: x Apollo 9

LOLOL! It doesn't matter how far away they get it until they can figure out why people dissolve in microgravity. :gomer:

Ankf00
06-14-07, 12:42 PM
Sounds like they need MacGyver. :D

Boy I really don't think I would want to be messing around with staples or something that resembles a needle while wearing a pressurized spacesuit. :saywhat:

kind of shocked they have such a tool, the tool design is extremely conservative and regulated on many levels to ensure safety in operation

ferrarigod
06-14-07, 02:13 PM
the tool design is extremely conservative and regulated on many levels to ensure safety in operation

it's also a contract given to the lowest bidder. so staple at your own risk.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 02:27 PM
it's also a contract given to the lowest bidder. so staple at your own risk.

somehow I don't think the workings of the JSC MS working group and ESC group award are something taught to undergrads in b-school. call me crazy, but...

Opposite Lock
06-14-07, 02:28 PM
I hope they put ViseGrips, duct tape and zip-ties on the Shuttle, sounds like it's time to Gomer the thing together and hope it works :eek:

And hopefully the ISS is equipped with an Inanimate Carbon Rod.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2688/inrodwetrustak1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dando
06-14-07, 02:29 PM
you're an idiot. nothing new there.

Ank, did one of yer buds ferget a decimal point or two again? :gomer:

-Kevin

KLang
06-14-07, 02:36 PM
News reports the computers are coming back.

I'm still shaking my head about the possibility of stapling or sewing the blanket back in place. Wouldn't some kind of glue make more sense?

nrc
06-14-07, 02:41 PM
^ It's posts like that that make me want to walk the streets behind a green sheet of glass.

I may as well be the first person to interrupt a thread with youtube video.

Vn_9yvRBa0Q

Ankf00
06-14-07, 02:42 PM
structurally? probably not. but would depend on the aerothermal loading at that location on the orbiter, the glue properties under that loading, the glue properties in bonding with the blanket material, among others. A glue that doesn't offgas internally creating bubbles which in turn losing any structural integrity it previously had. then there'd be the issue of application, designing a functional applicator and receptacle, and a bunch of other things that became a PITA in the design of the CIPAblator and CIPAApplicator for thermal tile patching.

i dunno, *shrug* The ESC Group has had very bad experienced with glues, that much is for sure.

G.
06-14-07, 02:46 PM
I may as well be the first person to interrupt a thread with youtube video.

First? (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=198030&postcount=42)

ferrarigod
06-14-07, 02:57 PM
somehow I don't think the workings of the JSC MS working group and ESC group award are something taught to undergrads in b-school. call me crazy, but...

still the lowest bidder. it's called a joke, we do that here.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 03:05 PM
still the lowest bidder. except that it's not.

ferrarigod
06-14-07, 03:11 PM
except that it's not.

is it necessary that you confront someone in each thread? it's a ****ing joke dude. settle.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 03:41 PM
you just have that effect on people :gomer:

nrc
06-14-07, 03:48 PM
Don't make me stop this car.

nrc
06-14-07, 04:02 PM
First? (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=198030&postcount=42)

What have I done? :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
06-14-07, 04:05 PM
Do the Russians use Windows on the ISS? :pthey use the linux distro from the guy who thought sponsoring a car finishing close to last at mindy would be great marketing.

Wheel-Nut
06-14-07, 04:37 PM
Comrad 1 to comrad 2 - What does this switch do?

Comrad 2 - I don't know . . . .

Ankf00
06-14-07, 04:40 PM
Comrad 1 to comrad 2 - What does this switch do?

Comrad 2 - I don't know . . . .

Comrad 1 - **** it, pass the vodka.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 04:41 PM
since all 3 GNC units are down the orbiter's providing attitude control via the docking connection so they're now analyzing the thermal stresses on the ISS due to the shuttle firing the PRCS jets while docked, which they've never done before.

RusH
06-14-07, 04:48 PM
:shakehead NasaTards, more interest in the exploration of space was done by the Hubble than they could ever hope circling roundy roundy spending billions on the garbage, and the old garbarge truck that goes up there to clean the toilets every few months.:gomer:

Ankf00
06-14-07, 05:07 PM
Plan A: staple and pin repair
Plan B: stitch and pin repair

it's nickel chromium apparently, 2000F melting temp, and they don't expect encounter those temperatures that far back on the orbiter.

re: 2 months ISS O2 supply
The GNC computers that are down also manage ISS O2 and water supply/recirculation, which means they're relying solely on shuttle supplies and reserves, supposedly they'll be into the reserves tomorrow and at that point they'll have the oribter detatch from ISS w/ all 9 crew members for a return trip.

Joelski
06-14-07, 05:09 PM
:shakehead NasaTards, more interest in the exploration of space was done by the Hubble than they could ever hope circling roundy roundy spending billions on the garbage, and the old garbarge truck that goes up there to clean the toilets every few months.:gomer:

I suggest a wood chipper. :gomer:

Joelski
06-14-07, 05:11 PM
Plan A: staple and pin repair
Plan B: stitch and pin repair

it's nickel chromium apparently, 2000F melting temp, and they don't expect encounter those temperatures that far back on the orbiter.

re: 2 months ISS O2 supply
The GNC computers that are down also manage ISS O2 and water supply/recirculation, which means they're relying solely on shuttle supplies and reserves, supposedly they'll be into the reserves tomorrow and at that point they'll have the oribter detatch from ISS w/ all 9 crew members for a return trip.

I though they were going to reapproximate the blanket edges with staples? And they said last night on the debriefing that the materials wer all stainless steel; still well below the temps felt in that area.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 05:58 PM
I though they were going to reapproximate the blanket edges with staples? Plan A supposedly

And they said last night on the debriefing that the materials wer all stainless steel; still well below the temps felt in that area.

the guy who ran the aerothermal analysis of the potential repairs mentioned Ni-Cr specifically. But probably it can be called a type of stainless steel, just not an AISI 300 series stainless, instead with much greater % composition of Ni & Cr.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/070614_sts117_rehearse.html
Next, the repair requires a double row of staples using the medical staplers along the tear’s edges, and finishes with the use of a dental tool and stiff nickel chromium pins to secure the torn blanket and part of an adjacent one into nearby tiles, Shannon said. The crew will take six staplers with them, each with 15 staples.

Plan B w/ SS wire

http://a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/www.space.com/images/070612_omsblanket_sew_02.jpg

Joelski
06-14-07, 06:13 PM
So tell me why in all this time have they not spent some R&D on a seamless shell with the properties of the tile? It seems that would have negated a lot of problems, possibly including the Columbia issue.

Gnam
06-14-07, 06:44 PM
One word: velcro.
Helping gotards tie their shoes for 30 years.:thumbup:

So is the shuttle fleet falling apart, or are these rips and tears just getting greater attention since 2003?

Joelski
06-14-07, 06:53 PM
One word: velcro.
Helping gotards tie their shoes for 30 years.:thumbup:

So is the shuttle fleet falling apart, or are these rips and tears just getting greater attention since 2003?

I think they are routine things that have happened every flight that get greater scrutiny since the loss of the Columbia crew. Those things get good turn-around maintenace every time they come back. Of course the flaw in the system is the expensive launch, but it's cheaper than launching a crew serparately when attendance to the payload is mandatory. For that purpose, nothing is better at a heavy lift, not even atalas or Energia.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 09:47 PM
So tell me why in all this time have they not spent some R&D on a seamless shell with the properties of the tile? It seems that would have negated a lot of problems, possibly including the Columbia issue.

seamless shell? that'd be one massive bitch to manufacture and maintain, don't even know if autoclaves large enough to bake the tile in that large of a shape existed in the 70's.

and I don't see what at all it has to do with Columbia

nissan gtp
06-14-07, 09:50 PM
^with the heat/cold cycles, I'd guess the tiles expand and contract -- making lots of small ones makes that manageable -- a large uniform piece would crack. and remember, they have to maintain an aerodynamic shape as well

all that said, it is 70"s technology. time to move on

Joelski
06-14-07, 10:16 PM
seamless shell? that'd be one massive bitch to manufacture and maintain, don't even know if autoclaves large enough to bake the tile in that large of a shape existed in the 70's.

Are you a glue eater or not? Nanotechnology, spray on ceramics, stuff like that. Don't just pass out smacks from your high horse. I was trying to have an interesting conversation. Point is, there has got to be a better way to do this 30 years later, and that may have saved some lives. Or can you not figure that out?

Methanolandbrats
06-14-07, 10:54 PM
Are you a glue eater or not? Nanotechnology, spray on ceramics, stuff like that. Don't just pass out smacks from your high horse. I was trying to have an interesting conversation. Point is, there has got to be a better way to do this 30 years later, and that may have saved some lives. Or can you not figure that out? Probably can't afford to do it better, so they just keep lighting the fuse on that cattle car until somebody higher up axes it.

cameraman
06-14-07, 11:37 PM
It is already axed, all remaining missions are planned, when they are done it is museum time.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 01:23 AM
Are you a glue eater or not? Nanotechnology, spray on ceramics, stuff like that. Don't just pass out smacks from your high horse. I was trying to have an interesting conversation. Point is, there has got to be a better way to do this 30 years later, and that may have saved some lives. Or can you not figure that out?

i was having a conversation with you, you decided to invent a non-existing affront in my post. that's your doing, not mine.

TPS systems are a bitch, there is no "easy" solution. what are spray on ceramics going to do to prevent a gaping hole in the RCC leading edge panels? the crap you spray onto your car is going to survive reentry temperatures? nanotechnology? little robots are going to scurry around like a hollywood movie and patch everything up?

30 years later we used pretty much the same material for the leading edge panels for the X-38. reinforced carbon carbon works, the flaw is in the EFT, not the orbiter TPS.

Try buying yourself a clue before you insinuate that I don't care what happens to the guys who I worked with, worked for, and whose kids I grew up with.

Joelski
06-15-07, 01:42 AM
i was having a conversation with you, you decided to invent a non-existing affront in my post. that's your doing, not mine.

TPS systems are a bitch, there is no "easy" solution. what are spray on ceramics going to do to prevent a gaping hole in the RCC leading edge panels? the crap you spray onto your car is going to survive reentry temperatures? nanotechnology? little robots are going to scurry around like a hollywood movie and patch everything up?

30 years later we used pretty much the same material for the leading edge panels for the X-38. reinforced carbon carbon works, the flaw is in the EFT, not the orbiter TPS.

Try buying yourself a clue before you insinuate that I don't care what happens to the guys who I worked with, worked for, and whose kids I grew up with.

Again with the maturity. Thanks.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 01:47 AM
I'm merely responding in kind. if you're going to imagine an insult in this:

then i don't know what to tell you.

Joelski
06-15-07, 01:51 AM
I'm just responding in kind. if you're going to imagine an insult in my original post, that sounds like a personal problem.

Well, as a representative of sorts, I thought you might contribute more in the way of explaining to those of us who respect what you do as to why something does or does not work or is not feasible. Instead you did what? Righteous indignance is not a favorable quality among the educated. With that attitude I am wholly glad my life is not in your hands.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 01:53 AM
Instead I did what? I posted this:

it looks like I posted a reason or two why it might not work, which in turn prompts you to ask if I'm sniffing glue.

Joelski
06-15-07, 01:54 AM
Instead I did what? I posted this:

it looks like I posted a reason or two why it might not work, which in turn prompts you to ask if I'm sniffing glue.

Glue eater = geek, scientist.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 02:40 AM
so we're both imagining affronts, I apologize for flying off the handle. but we all know I'm a prick, so what's new?

the orbiter TPS consists of different materials (read: structural & thermal properties) dependent upon the specific aero and thermal loading at certain areas of the orbiter.

This outlines everything well enough I think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_shuttle_thermal_protection_system

you'll see that the nose cap and leading edge of the wings are the RCC carbon carbon composite, which was still going to be employed for the X-38, it's structurally strong, easily maintained, and meant for the highest thermal loads. The ceramic tiles on the shuttle are fragile, and required constant refurbishment. I want to say the x-38 TPS system employed a metal matrix composite, low weight and more structural integrity than the shuttle ceramics. (edit: I'm mistaken, x-33 had the metal panels, x-38 had the shuttle similar ceramics, Toughed Uni-Piece Fibrous Insulation, TUFI) but still panels. manufacturing, maintenance, and as nissan gtp stated, thermal expansion and structural integrity concerns (one piece ceramic shell would crack as the airframe flexes as well, next time you fly look out the window and observe how much the wings flex, more flex == less break).

the RCC leading edge panel on columbia was punched open exposing the aluminum substructure to plasma heating and short of a patch kit nothing would've stopped it from happening once the RCC was damaged as it was. thus my comment about seamless shell having anything to do w/ columbia... the on orbit patch kits designed for STS-114 were pretty worthless, too.

all of this is moot with CEV, Orion will mount atop the Ares I rocket with the TPS contained within and protected. simpler, safer, cheaper.

Orion/Constellation program in action:

3BmlXeIFtKM

Joelski
06-15-07, 07:58 AM
so we're both imagining affronts, I apologize for flying off the handle. but we all know I'm a prick, so what's new?

Accepted and reciprocated.

Insomniac
06-15-07, 09:29 AM
Accepted and reciprocated.

Get a room already. ;)

dando
06-15-07, 10:29 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3281714&page=1

Solar arrays causing computer issues:

After working for a couple of days, the Russians still have no idea what the problem is, and they are pointing the finger at the Americans. They say that setting up the solar array sent electromagnetic interference into the computer, shutting it down.

:\

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-15-07, 10:54 AM
Get a room already. ;)

you got bigger fish to fry

http://augustasports.com/images/headlines/102400/clemens.jpg

9 in a row!

JoeBob
06-15-07, 11:58 AM
The latest update from Bill Harwoods (excellent free) newsletter. Read and/or sign up here: http://www.cbsnews.com/network/news/space/current.html

7:17 AM, 6/15/07, Update: Russian computers shut down again for more troubleshooting

Russian computers aboard the international space station failed to boot up properly early today even though they were cut off from U.S. solar array power. Engineers had speculated that some subtle change in the station's shared power grid, caused by the installation this week of a new solar array, might have triggered the Russian computer crashes that have crippled the space station. But analysis of the electricity flowing from the new array into the Russian segment of the lab complex did not reveal any obvious "smoking gun" and when the circuit was unplugged, the computers behaved much as they did Thursday.

The station's main command-and-control computer system is made up of three redundant machines that can operate in stand-alone mode or as synchronized, fully redundant "lanes." The station's guidance and navigation system is known as the terminal computer, also made up of three redundant lanes. The computers normally draw power from the station's shared electrical grid, which includes electricity from U.S. solar arrays. The new array channel that was routed to the Russian segment earlier this week, roughly when the computer problems began, is known as power channel 3A.

Russian engineers "performed some more troubleshooting over the last two ground sites and basically, kind of a repeat of some troubleshooting they did yesterday," said space station flight director Holly Ridings. "If you remember yesterday, they'd been successful in bringing up the central computer and talking to it and getting a command down to the FGB (Zarya module) to get some power over from the U.S. segment to the Russian segment. Unfortunately ... that computer, the central computer, went off line again.

"And so today's troubleshooting was kind of a repeat of what they did yesterday, trying to turn on the central computer and then the terminal computer. And unfortunately, they did get power to both of those computers and get good feedback that they were receiving power, briefly had some what they call 'availability,' kind of like a heartbeat, on one of the lanes. There are three of them, of the central computer and the computer below it, the terminal computer, but were unable to communicate with it properly.

"So on the next ground site after they'd left the power to those computers on for about an hour and a half, they decided they would turn the power back off again and turn what we call an SNT (a Russian acronym pronounced ess-en-tay), which is how we send power from the U.S. power system to the Russian segment, back on. So we ended up in the configuration that we started out the day in, which was, unfortunately not having a central computer or a terminal computer. They're going to let the crew get some sleep ... and put together a forward troubleshooting plan."

The computer system has been acting up ever since the Atlantis astronauts attached a new set of solar arrays to the right side of the station's main power truss Monday. The terminal computer lanes initially crashed. Then, during a programmed reboot of both the terminal and central computer lanes, the entire system hung up.

The navigation system computers are required to fire Russian maneuvering jets to make major changes in the station's orientation. Minor adjustments are made with U.S. control moment gyroscopes, but that cannot make major changes and the system periodically has to be reset using rocket control. The station cannot safely operate without full orientation control to ensure its solar arrays stay face-on to the sun and to prevent sensitive systems from getting too hot or too cold.

The problem is not serious as long as the shuttle Atlantis remains docked because the orbiter's thrusters can be used, when needed, to make adjustments that are beyond the ability of the gyros or when the gyro system needs to be reset. But the shuttle will undock and return to Earth next week and the Russians have been working around the clock to get the computer glitches resolved before the orbiter departs.

Engineers theorized that the new S4 solar array, or components in the circuitry delivering that power to the Russian segment of the station, triggered some subtle change in the lab's electrical grid. The central and terminal computers, built in Germany by Daimler-Benz in Germany, are known to be sensitive to "noisy" power.

Late Thursday, outgoing station flier Sunita Williams, her replacement Clay Anderson and flight engineer Oleg Kotov used a signal analyzer to characterize the power flowing from the U.S. to the Russian segment. After that data was shared with the ground, the system was physically disconnected to make sure no ground path could be causing problems even with power shut down.

"One of the theories about why this is going on with the computers is that there's some interference from the new pieces of the power system that we put in with the S4 truss and possibly some electromagnetic interference or some other issue with the power that we're sending them across," Ridings said.

"So we asked the crew to go in and do some testing with the scope meter on the actual power cables that come from the new truss and power channel 3-alpha to those SNTs, the boxes that send the U.S. power over to the Russian segment. So they put the scope meter on those cables and looked at the waves ... so all our engineers could go off and assess.

"The engineers looked at that data, they did not find anything that was grossly off nominal, nothing huge jumped out at them immediately," Ridings said. "It would have been nice to find a smoking gun, but that's usually not how these things work."

Insomniac
06-15-07, 12:04 PM
you got bigger fish to fry

http://augustasports.com/images/headlines/102400/clemens.jpg

9 in a row!

Boston is still the best team in MLB. :)

dando
06-15-07, 01:02 PM
Boston is still the best team in MLB. :)

Check the standings, yo.

LA Angels (aka: the other white meat) 42-25

:-) :p

Back on topic...it looks like they dint use enough tin foil on them Russkie PCs. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-15-07, 01:23 PM
the PCs were manufactured by Daimler in Deutscheland, stinking germans can't get anything right, first the Cayanne, now this! :gomer:

Don Quixote
06-15-07, 02:02 PM
the PCs were manufactured by Daimler in Deutscheland, stinking germans can't get anything right, first the Cayanne, now this! :gomer:
Don't forget the Jetta. You should see the 2 quart puddle of oil underneath the Jetta in our work parking lot. :rofl:

Joelski
06-15-07, 02:41 PM
Ten years after it's demise, Packard Bell is better than something. :gomer:

Insomniac
06-15-07, 02:54 PM
Check the standings, yo.

Boston 41-24 .631
LA Angels 42-25 .627

:)

Insomniac
06-15-07, 02:57 PM
Ten years after it's demise, Packard Bell is better than something. :gomer:

They're still around! http://www.packardbell.com/products.htm

KLang
06-15-07, 03:09 PM
Latest. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19242063/)

The computer problem started on Monday with a spike in static electricity while cables were being hooked up to the station’s solar panels, Nikolai Sevastyanov, head of the Russian rocket company Energia, told reporters at Mission Control near Moscow.

The spike apparently knocked out equipment that provides power to the German-built control computers. Sevastyanov said Russian officials were considering moving up the launch of a Progress cargo ship by two weeks to July 23 to bring up new parts.

I'm taking that to mean the computer's power supply. Don't they have breakers or whatever to protect against this? :confused:

Ankf00
06-15-07, 03:16 PM
if it was an issue with adequate grounding it could be any of the electronic components exposed to the static charge, not just the power supply.

eirgosod's currently wasting away his youth in an EE program, perhaps he could elucidate and expound, you know, to make him feel like the parchment is worth it :D

dando
06-15-07, 03:58 PM
Boston 41-24 .631
LA Angels 42-25 .627

:)

I just go by Ws....y'all just have a Loss in hand anyway. Plus, the other white meat will be +3 Ws once they sweep Real LA (again) this weekend. :gomer: :( In the meantime, y'all will continue 4 of 6 last ten (5 of 8 for June) mediocrity and lose 2 of 3 to SF. To paraphase Paul Revere, the Yankees are coming, the Yankees are coming! :p

-Kevin

Gnam
06-15-07, 04:05 PM
I heard the root of the problem is the American systems use English volts and the Russian systems use Metric volts. :p

If they don't get it fixed soon, they better figure out a way to start flapping those solar panels.

Ankf00
06-15-07, 04:32 PM
Spacewalk Continues, Failed ISS Computers Rebooted
15 June 2007 4:23 p.m. EDT

HOUSTON -- As today’s spacewalk continues outside the International Space Station (ISS), astronauts inside the outpost and flight controllers have restarted balky computers in the Russian segment.

Initial reports are that two out of three lanes for the Russian segment’s central and terminal computing systems are up and running. The central computer system governs command and control functions in the station’s Russian modules. The terminal computer oversees navigation guidance and attitude control

Joelski
06-18-07, 06:38 PM
All is well now except the shuttle crew did not have enough huggies left to leave some for the ISS crew. :saywhat:

Kahauna Dreamer
06-18-07, 07:22 PM
Daimler? Couldn't they get McLaren to handle that??