PDA

View Full Version : fan of bittorrent?

G.
06-13-07, 04:05 PM
TorrentSpy ordered to start tracking visitors
In ruling under seal until Friday, federal judge orders TorrentSpy to log visitor activity. But company says it will appeal.
By Greg Sandoval
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Published: June 8, 2007, 7:28 PM PDT
TalkBackE-mailPrint del.icio.us Digg this

Editors' note: Since this story was published, CNET News.com has reviewed some of the documents relevant to the case. For more information, see "MPAA accuses TorrentSpy of concealing evidence."

A court decision reached last month but under seal until Friday could force Web sites to track visitors if the sites become defendants in a lawsuit.

TorrentSpy, a popular BitTorrent search engine, was ordered on May 29 by a federal judge in the Central District of California in Los Angeles to create logs detailing users' activities on the site. The judge, Jacqueline Chooljian, however, granted a stay of the order on Friday to allow TorrentSpy to file an appeal.

The appeal must be filed by June 12, according to Ira Rothken, TorrentSpy's attorney.

TorrentSpy has promised in its privacy policy never to track visitors without their consent.

"It is likely that TorrentSpy would turn off access to the U.S. before tracking its users," Rothken said. "If this order were allowed to stand, it would mean that Web sites can be required by discovery judges to track what their users do even if their privacy policy says otherwise."

link (http://news.com.com/TorrentSpy+ordered+to+start+tracking+visitors/2100-1030_3-6189866.html?tag=newsmap)

Ankf00
06-13-07, 04:22 PM
s'why my BT server admins use toilets that flush counter-clockwise :)

devilmaster
06-13-07, 04:44 PM
so a decision that has been sealed for a month, and now torrentspy only gets 5 days over a weekend to officially appeal? Nice. :shakehead

Insomniac
06-13-07, 05:17 PM
so a decision that has been sealed for a month, and now torrentspy only gets 5 days over a weekend to officially appeal? Nice. :shakehead

I may be mistaken, but I believe the parties knew the decision, just not the public. Presumably, the MPAA was hoping they'd do it quietly.

Cam
06-14-07, 09:25 AM
s'why my BT server admins use toilets that flush counter-clockwise :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: