PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson-"Just to watch practice and qualifying? I wouldn't come"

cart7
06-12-07, 08:04 PM
Nice and upbeat:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/118152871532050.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

But he doesn't blame local promoter Mike Nealy for what happened Saturday, when the grandstands were nearly empty.

"There's more to it than just, 'How many people do you have show up?' " Johnson said. "Because it rained yesterday and today, does that mean we aren't coming back? No, the rain has nothing to do with it. Things happen that are out of your control."

and

The city's three-year contract with Champ Car is up, and talks will begin soon on a new deal. Portland isn't in a strong bargaining position, it would seem.

Johnson said the 2008 schedule comes out in September, "and sometime in August, we'll know."

He talked about possibly switching dates and having the next race in August or September, and noted that the idea of a street race downtown "has legs, but I don't know how long those legs are."

Champ Car has other options -- six new cities are willing to stage races, Johnson said -- and much better opportunities to make money if it leaves Portland.

Sure there are Steve, sure there are. :gomer:

opinionated ow
06-12-07, 08:24 PM
losing cleveland or portland would be the last straw for me. those two races are the best ones left. portland has always been my favourite, and never will stop to be it.

rabbit
06-12-07, 08:49 PM
"Just to watch practice and qualifying? I wouldn't come":shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

**** like this and Pook's infamous picnic table quote is exactly why this series is a rudderless ship. I used to spend money to go to races so I could sit at a ****ing picnic table and watch ****ing practice and qualifying. **** drifting. **** beach volleyball. **** rock concerts. Give me some drivers going balls-to-the-wall in their Champ Cars.

Hell, following Johnson's reasoning, maybe we should just do away with Friday and Saturday and just line 'em up on Sunday. But if they're going to do that, then they might as well go with the Friday/Saturday night dirt track format and pack the weekend with heat races and B-mains and line up for the feature on Sunday. At least then the focus would be back on the racing.

mueber
06-12-07, 08:52 PM
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead
Hell, following Johnson's reasoning, maybe we should just do away with Friday and Saturday and just line 'em up on Sunday. But if they're going to do that, then they might as well go with the Friday/Saturday night dirt track format and pack the weekend with heat races and B-mains and line up for the feature on Sunday. At least then the focus would be back on the racing.

Making a one day event of it is not a bad idea. It would cut expenses for the teams and provide more on track action for the fans.

jonovision_man
06-12-07, 08:53 PM
Sure there are Steve, sure there are. :gomer:

A surfeit of opportunities!!! :D

jono

opinionated ow
06-12-07, 09:24 PM
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

**** like this and Pook's infamous picnic table quote is exactly why this series is a rudderless ship. I used to spend money to go to races so I could sit at a ****ing picnic table and watch ****ing practice and qualifying. **** drifting. **** beach volleyball. **** rock concerts. Give me some drivers going balls-to-the-wall in their Champ Cars.

that is not a bad idea. they should do that for the oval races...oh, hold on

RHR_Fan
06-12-07, 09:30 PM
Well some of those quotes certainly help things. :shakehead

Does anyone know why they moved the race up one week? It used to always be Father's Day weekend.

STD
06-12-07, 09:31 PM
SJ=Clueless :gomer: :thumdown:

Tifosi24
06-12-07, 11:01 PM
Well some of those quotes certainly help things. :shakehead

I didn't need these quotes to know he is a jacktard. He helped ruin SCCA Pro Rally and once Champ Car hired him I knew nothing positive could come from it.

A street circuit being considered when there is a NATURAL TERRAIN road course within the city limits is the height of idiocy. I don't remember who said it a couple weeks ago in here, but how did Kalkoven make his millions?

Indy
06-12-07, 11:36 PM
A street circuit being considered when there is a NATURAL TERRAIN road course within the city limits is the height of idiocy.

Sad but true. They don't seem to get the idea that the further they dilute the product, the more they mortgage the future of the series for short term gains.

TravelGal
06-13-07, 12:49 AM
^^^ These last two posts are why I read this forum. People with *sense* post here. :thumbup: to Tifo and Indy.

chop456
06-13-07, 01:20 AM
At the London press stop last month, he said they've had 30 cities come to them with an interest in races. He also said that some of these people don't understand that you can't race on cobblestone streets. He didn't say how many of the 30 cases were of that genre. I'm guessing right around 30. :gomer:

FanofMario
06-13-07, 01:25 AM
And we wonder about 0.7 TV stats? Where have all the real leaders of sport gone to?:(

Methanolandbrats
06-13-07, 08:51 AM
In any other company if an employee said that, his desk would be cleaned out before he got back. For the first time since this whole stupid split began I'm seriously asking why I am going to drag my whole family to Road America and spend over $1000 when Champcar seems content to step on their own nuts.

Indy
06-13-07, 09:29 AM
Because RA > any series, you silly dork. :laugh:

Indy
06-13-07, 09:30 AM
At the London press stop last month, he said they've had 30 cities come to them with an interest in races. He also said that some of these people don't understand that you can't race on cobblestone streets. He didn't say how many of the 30 cases were of that genre. I'm guessing right around 30. :gomer:

I think Zionsville bid $500 for a race.

Indy
06-13-07, 09:31 AM
^^^ These last two posts are why I read this forum. People with *sense* post here. :thumbup: to Tifo and Indy.

You are sweetness, dear. [/bunny]

TrueBrit
06-13-07, 11:00 AM
In any other company if an employee said that, his desk would be cleaned out before he got back. For the first time since this whole stupid split began I'm seriously asking why I am going to drag my whole family to Road America and spend over $1000 when Champcar seems content to step on their own nuts.

Over a grand? Seriously? Let me know where you're gonna be so I can hit up for some bevvies....

FTG
06-13-07, 11:16 AM
If it's possible to get Houston, San Jose and Vegas, I don't think it's absurd to think that they might be able to find another city somewhere in the world that might want a race.

RHR_Fan
06-13-07, 11:24 AM
Sad but true. They don't seem to get the idea that the further they dilute the product, the more they mortgage the future of the series for short term gains.

Have to agree. I'm excited to go to races this season, but I'm almost more excited to see my friends who I only see at races.

I can see a family spending $1000 at a race. Tickets, hotel, food, souvenirs, etc. It can add up real quick.

~Nicole

Dr. Corkski
06-13-07, 11:45 AM
There is always Ansan.

G.
06-13-07, 12:06 PM
Steve is a Johnson. FSJ.:flame:

Ankf00
06-13-07, 12:15 PM
don't forget Zuhai. I hear it's up and coming. Zuhai's the new Miami.

Methanolandbrats
06-13-07, 12:19 PM
Over a grand? Seriously? Let me know where you're gonna be so I can hit up for some bevvies.... 4x$130 for tickets, 2xnight hotel $200, thats $720 right there, add in fuel to drive there, plus food, trinkets,,,,,,,,maybe not over $1000, but close enough, it ain't cheap.

Sean O'Gorman
06-13-07, 01:13 PM
If it's possible to get Houston, San Jose and Vegas, I don't think it's absurd to think that they might be able to find another city somewhere in the world that might want a race.

There are only a limited number of race courses in North America and Champ Car has burned its bridges with almost all of them...

TrueBrit
06-13-07, 02:05 PM
4x$130 for tickets, 2xnight hotel $200, thats $720 right there, add in fuel to drive there, plus food, trinkets,,,,,,,,maybe not over $1000, but close enough, it ain't cheap.

What's a "hotel"? ;)

Methanolandbrats
06-13-07, 02:29 PM
What's a "hotel"? ;) It's where I camp..........rustic = Holiday Inn Express :)

TravelGal
06-13-07, 05:19 PM

Completely agree.

I think this is probably the part that is starting to deter me as well. It always costs us $1000 per race. The TICKETS are at least $250 most of the time for the full 3-day package. How can I be enthused when the GD President isn't? This is part of what makes me call it "boring" at the 'other place'--his attitude is starting to spill over to the fans.

CART 500
06-13-07, 05:29 PM
This is part of what makes me call it "boring" at the 'other place'

You could sign up over at smack :D

TravelGal
06-13-07, 05:51 PM
^^^ LOL LOL. I look sometimes but I don't touch. What all those llamas and stuff? I don't think I speak the language. LOL LOL.

edit: Just to clarify, I mean that I called CC boring these days, not the other place itself.

CART 500
06-13-07, 05:52 PM
^^^ LOL LOL. I look sometimes but I don't touch. What all those llamas and stuff? I don't think I speak the language. LOL LOL.

Probably a good idea ;)

oddlycalm
06-13-07, 07:04 PM
possibly switching dates and having the next race in August or September They (the city/CART/CCWS/whoever) should have done that years ago. Rose Festival means that June has event saturation. June weather is often wet as well. September is the best month here for weather and there aren't 20 other events taking place every weekend. Hard to imagine that a date change alone would attract a larger audience though.

Marketing 101: If you have to resort to borrowed interest to sell your product you need to improve your product. In this case drivers that a paying audience wants to see race might be a place to start.

oc

Redwing
06-13-07, 08:31 PM

Simple: Friday is the charity bike event, Friday evening is drinks at Seibkens and the Victorian, Saturday is ALMS.;)

gerhard911
06-13-07, 08:33 PM

edit: Just to clarify, I mean that I called CC boring these days, not the other place itself.

You're not BK :confused:

I'm crushed :cry:

nissan gtp
06-13-07, 08:44 PM
You're not BK :confused:

I'm crushed :cry:

oh, tell us more :rofl:

Kiwifan
06-13-07, 09:21 PM
I thought our Gal was BK too but what do I know? ;) I know I'm spending over $NZ8.000 to go racing in October but maybe I should cut back and just go for the day?

With all due respect Steve I think it would be best if you stepped aside. Mate, if you can't get excited about our series other than on raceday.... :( (and still no reply on Downunder TV there Stevie? )

Whats Jeremy Shaw up to these days? :) Talk about passion! Sigh, I'm feelin' kinda pissed. :cry:

Rusty.

gerhard911
06-13-07, 10:11 PM
oh, tell us more :rofl:

Well,,,,,, I just thought that, ummmm, uhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, BK had to be somebody that I had run across in the various forai before, and, ummmmm, uhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, TGal seemed to be a logical candidate.

Not that I, ummmmmm, uhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, would think for a moment that she (TGal) would be, in real life, ummmmm, uhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, anywhere close to BK in regards to her, well, ummmmm, uhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, shall we say, frankness ? But then under cover of an Innerweb nom de plume, who knows ?

Anyhoo, you can't tell the players without a program and there don't seem to be any for sale. Sooooo, I'm trying to figger out (:gomer: math) who's who and not having much success. I thought I had Spicoli, KD and Brickhead figgered out but after this I'm not so sure :confused:

Oh, and that whole thang with HWC, now that is HAWT :eek:

miatanut
06-13-07, 10:28 PM

Smack is an acquired taste, but once acquired, nothing else satisfies (banana llama). :thumbup:

Indy
06-13-07, 10:34 PM
Smack is an acquired taste, but once acquired, nothing else satisfies (banana llama). :thumbup:

http://www.smackforum.net/images/smilies/bananalama.gif

miatanut
06-13-07, 10:47 PM
http://www.smackforum.net/images/smilies/bananalama.gif

That's it!

Ruben Barrios
06-14-07, 11:20 AM
And the beheaded mosnter continues to run (now only on momentum)...

Menawhile Joseph Hazelwood continues to captain us through the mirky waters...

Spicoli
06-14-07, 11:55 AM
That's it!

We never close. :D

TravelGal
06-14-07, 02:35 PM
Well,,,,,, I just thought that, ummmm, uhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, BK had to be somebody that I had run across in the various forai before, and, ummmmm, uhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, TGal seemed to be a logical candidate.

Not that I, ummmmmm, uhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, would think for a moment that she (TGal) would be, in real life, ummmmm, uhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhh, anywhere close to BK in regards to her, well, ummmmm, uhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, shall we say, frankness ? But then under cover of an Innerweb nom de plume, who knows ?

Anyhoo, you can't tell the players without a program and there don't seem to be any for sale. Sooooo, I'm trying to figger out (:gomer: math) who's who and not having much success. I thought I had Spicoli, KD and Brickhead figgered out but after this I'm not so sure :confused:

Oh, and that whole thang with HWC, now that is HAWT :eek:

LOL LOL LOL. Made me look. Eventually I figured out who you meant. LOL! I have my own ideas about who that is. :D

Thing is, wading in either under my name or a nom de keyboard might startle the inhabitants. Must admit I was tempted to reply to Kahuna's editorial as I agreed with much of what he said.

There and here is (are?) about the only place you can read and POST honest opinions without getting your head (or other parts) handed to you. As in Rusty's comment that it really is time for SJ to move along now. I appreciate that about both places.

Racing Truth
06-14-07, 02:53 PM
Seriously, I never thought ANYONE in this sport could prove to be as incompetent as TGeorge. 'Ole Stevie is trying his best to prove me wrong.

Fresh thinking.:tony:

RHR_Fan
06-14-07, 03:26 PM
LOL LOL LOL. Made me look. Eventually I figured out who you meant. LOL! I have my own ideas about who that is. :D

Thing is, wading in either under my name or a nom de keyboard might startle the inhabitants. Must admit I was tempted to reply to Kahuna's editorial as I agreed with much of what he said.

There and here is (are?) about the only place you can read and POST honest opinions without getting your head (or other parts) handed to you. As in Rusty's comment that it really is time for SJ to move along now. I appreciate that about both places.

Bolded for emphasis and agreement.

So assuming SJ leaves/is fired/whatever, who would be better? And don't give me some smart-alacky answer screaming "anyone!!!!" ;)

Ankf00
06-14-07, 03:46 PM
someone who sees value in the sport would be nice starting point, those who make derisive comments regarding picnic tables and practice don't qualify. better yet, someone who delivers on his/her claims.

extramundane
06-14-07, 03:48 PM
So assuming SJ leaves/is fired/whatever, who would be better? And don't give me some smart-alacky answer screaming "anyone!!!!" ;)

I had a pretty good idea that involved Bill France Jr and a car battery...

Easy
06-14-07, 04:52 PM
I had a pretty good idea that involved Bill France Jr and a car battery...

If they don't move fast they'll need to add menthol cream and maybe switch to something with more juice.

extramundane
06-14-07, 05:34 PM
If they don't move fast they'll need to add menthol cream and maybe switch to something with more juice.

There was a commercial freezer involved too. And honestly I'm not sure that they'd need that much more juice to trump current CC management.

Spicoli
06-15-07, 01:25 AM
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/rudabaga.gif

greenie
06-15-07, 02:19 AM
And don't give me some smart-alacky answer screaming "anyone!!!!" ;)

OK - Anyone but the comma,,, comma,,,comma,,, comma,,, chameleon,,, craftsman / wordsmith / loser. :rofl:

I think the sad reality is that this ship's sailed.

The only hope IMHO is that:

1) Year 2 w/the DP01 will create some opportunities for new teams to buy pre-owned DP01s and maybe generate a decent car count; and

2) That somehow changes everything. :p

And the real answer as to who I'd hire - Robin Miller. :cool:

jonovision_man
06-15-07, 06:53 AM
1) Year 2 w/the DP01 will create some opportunities for new teams to buy pre-owned DP01s and maybe generate a decent car count; and

2) That somehow changes everything. :p

Don't you mean "lease"? It's as cheap a she's going to get...

jono

opinionated ow
06-15-07, 09:48 AM
Tony Stewart. IF there is one person with the contacts, the trust, an understanding of it all, and the willpower to make it work it is tony. robin miller would be a good advisor for him. (and if he was to take charge of all of championship racing, i'd hope like hell that submitting my ideas to him would get a job :D )

rabbit
06-15-07, 11:01 AM
Earl Baltes isn't doing anything these days. Now there's a guy who knows how to promote a product! :)

Methanolandbrats
06-15-07, 11:10 AM
Eddie Gossage? :gomer:

opinionated ow
06-15-07, 11:14 AM
Eddie Gossage? :gomer:

actually i think he is one of the few that would actually be good. he sticks to his guns. with the right advisors he would make a good owner and chief

Insomniac
06-15-07, 11:58 AM
Dan Gurney?

mueber
06-15-07, 03:13 PM
It has to be someone who is over Gomerville.

God could run Champ Car and it would be a challenge because no one wants the product. That’s why I don’t criticize the “Festival of Speed” concept. When people won’t show up for open wheel on ovals and they won’t show up for open wheel on road courses, you have to try something else. My hope is that Champ Car can survive until someone figures out what the public wants and Champ Car can provide it.

Who that someone is, I haven't a clue.

pferrf1
06-15-07, 05:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Beeston

This guy would do wonders in righting the ship - fixing HO morale and bringing inthe right, professional folks at each role. He's a master at leadership and has contacts all over sports marketing.

Tifosi24
06-15-07, 11:34 PM
It has to be someone who is over Gomerville.

God could run Champ Car and it would be a challenge because no one wants the product. That’s why I don’t criticize the “Festival of Speed” concept. When people won’t show up for open wheel on ovals and they won’t show up for open wheel on road courses, you have to try something else. My hope is that Champ Car can survive until someone figures out what the public wants and Champ Car can provide it.

Who that someone is, I haven't a clue.

The public wants close racing with large car counts, and a good story line. I loved going to Road America last fall, and I would go again, but it has very little to do with Champ Car. The race would have been a lot of fun if the racing had been closer. I was the only one who saw it, Rob and Cork remember, but the dumb kid who tried riding his bike down the hill on the outside of T5 was the most exciting thing that happened during the race that we saw (the kid was ok for anyone keeping track). The DP01 was a great attempt at what needs to be done, but honestly, I think they could have done more.

I think this is kind of rambling because I am tired, but it is just really hard to keep going sometimes with how management runs the ship. I didn't follow open wheel, except for the Indy 500, before the split, and I was won over by CART in 1996. I wouldn't have envisioned this 11 years ago, but I am 24 and I hope that open wheel can get back to some semblance of health by the time I am 50.