PDA

View Full Version : Wonderin about a vbulletin video feature....

devilmaster
06-11-07, 02:11 PM
At the other sports forum I frequent, not too long ago they added a youtube/google video feature to posts.

if you want to post a vid in a post, you bracket it with or

when posted, it brings the video up right in the post and you can watch the video from there.. (aka it doesn't transfer you to youtube's website)

They use vbull 3.6.4 - just wonderin if its possible to add this. I don't know if it overextends bandwith from OC or not....

nrc
06-11-07, 10:20 PM
The only bandwidth it might overextend is my own. :) I'll look into it. I have a couple of other maintenance things that will probably have to take priority unless it's a simple add-on.

nrc
06-13-07, 02:16 PM
So what goes between the tags? Is it the entire YouTube link or just the string of jibberish that identifies the recording?

Insomniac
06-13-07, 02:42 PM
So what goes between the tags? Is it the entire YouTube link or just the string of jibberish that identifies the recording?

I'd guess the link (since that would be simplest) and the BB software parses it and produces the HTML to embed the video.

Ankf00
06-13-07, 03:13 PM
if you introduce youtoobage I'm fedexing you local longnecks for the trouble. :thumbup:

skidmarks
06-13-07, 03:15 PM
It is just ..

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.3

devilmaster
06-13-07, 04:37 PM
yes, its just the webpage link, and I would assume insom and skiddy have it right.

The only thing I can offer is quickly register for the forum i use and see it for yourself.... here's a simple thread that starts with a youtube vid.

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22723

WickerBill
06-13-07, 06:38 PM
Boss, I don't think the embedded videos will hit your bandwidth...

Sean Malone
06-13-07, 10:06 PM
Monitoring Spicoli's video posts would require a FTE. :)

nrc
06-13-07, 11:57 PM
Boss, I don't think the embedded videos will hit your bandwidth...
I know, I'm talking about my personal bandwidth as in, "If it requires an upgrade to vBulletin it won't happen soon."

Here's the sports inferno BBCode page. According to this you do have to strip out just the video ID number for use in the tag. This simplifies things considerably.

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

devilmaster
06-14-07, 12:44 AM
I know, I'm talking about my personal bandwidth as in, "If it requires an upgrade to vBulletin it won't happen soon."

Here's the sports inferno BBCode page. According to this you do have to strip out just the video ID number for use in the tag. This simplifies things considerably.

http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

I'm probably gettin confused, but whenever I link a vid, i just type this in the post:

WIM6ddI_SaU

[edit]This post has been changed to see if the link worked. Which it does. http://www.sportsinferno.com/forums/images/smilies/cheersmilie.gif

nrc
06-14-07, 10:27 AM
I don't know if you're confused - I didn't register to check - but what you've posted isn't described in their BBCode page.

There are plenty of examples of BBCode additions that use the idenitfying number for the video, but I've had no luck finding code that allows you to link the full youtube or google video page. It's possible but will take some javascript to strip out the video number unless there's an option to the YouTube video player to accept the whole web page URL.

devilmaster
06-14-07, 10:51 AM
I can confirm that whenever I make a post I use the whole youtube url.

It works though, so thats bonus :thumbup: Thanks for this, sorry about makin it difficult.

Just a thought though, would copy/pasting the source code from a inferno post with a youtube link work for finding the code needed? [edit] nvrmnd - a little googlin gives me an idea on what you're sayin.....

nrc
06-14-07, 11:21 AM
Just a thought though, would copy/pasting the source code from a inferno post with a youtube link work for finding the code needed?

Yes, thanks. That should tell me if they're using a different embedded object that understands the full page link or whether they're doing some javascript to pull the video id out of the full URL.

devilmaster
06-14-07, 11:24 AM
so typing this in with square brackets: {youtube}Lh-8ZXONn2E{/youtube}

gets you....

Lh-8ZXONn2E

schweet! :D

cameraman
06-14-07, 01:16 PM
This is a very good thing.

Ankf00
06-14-07, 01:24 PM
test

_E6PMfhN1Qs

w00t!!!!

dando
06-14-07, 02:06 PM
This is a very good thing.

You think...until you see what Spickly will do with the new toy. :saywhat: :gomer:

-Kevin