PDA

View Full Version : Canadian GP... chat... and later, spoilers! :)

jonovision_man
06-10-07, 12:50 PM
I assume the FOX coverage in the U.S. will be live?

jono

Twisty Bits
06-10-07, 01:01 PM
Bring it!

jonovision_man
06-10-07, 01:02 PM
Martin Brundle about Schumacher:

(Paraphrasing)

There's the guy I was doing Tequilla shots with last night, I have a headache, I hope he has one too!

:rofl:

Twisty Bits
06-10-07, 01:05 PM
FRED????

EDwardo
06-10-07, 01:10 PM
Poor Jensen. Honda sucks........

:rofl:

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 01:31 PM
Fred is rattled. He did'nt look too good at the qualy press conference either.

extramundane
06-10-07, 01:36 PM
Spyker = awesome. :thumbup:

dando
06-10-07, 01:44 PM
Kubica :eek: :(

Prayers that he's OK.

-Kevin

Chitowncartfreak
Kubica :eek: :(

Prayers that he's OK.

-Kevin

Amen to that - that was a horrible shunt.

devilmaster
prayers and wishes

:(

JT265
06-10-07, 01:45 PM
prayers and wishes

:(

Indeed. That was a nasty hit.

RHR_Fan
06-10-07, 01:45 PM
:eek:

Accipiter
06-10-07, 01:51 PM
badbadbadbadbadbadbadbad. I'm very concerned.

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 01:53 PM
Was it head-on? Hope not. :(

Chitowncartfreak
06-10-07, 01:56 PM
Peter Windsor just said he is stable and will likely be ok.

eiregosod
06-10-07, 02:00 PM
BMW Sauber say he's stable

eiregosod
06-10-07, 02:09 PM
He's conscious :thumbup:

His manager sez he's well.

Accipiter
06-10-07, 02:19 PM
Great news.

3 things:

1. WTF Ralf?

2. That wall needs tire protection.

3. It took way too long for the Doctor to arrive.

Twisty Bits
06-10-07, 02:22 PM
One of the craziest races I've seen in a while. Stop the madness!!!

Dr. Corkski
06-10-07, 02:33 PM
I tuned into FOX and they are broadcasting a Champ Car race. :confused:

Robstar
06-10-07, 02:36 PM
Why didn't Red Bull pit Webbo on that last SC... :confused:

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 02:40 PM
Great news.

3 things:

1. WTF Ralf?

3. It took way too long for the Doctor to arrive. Seems to be a bump that almost launched him into the worker area where a small tractor was parked :eek: They might have to take a look at that too.

pineapple
06-10-07, 02:46 PM
:eek: Sato burning down the house today!

Hardpoint
06-10-07, 02:46 PM
I'm buying a Super Aguri hat next week. :D

devilmaster
06-10-07, 02:50 PM
kubica broken leg

pineapple
06-10-07, 02:50 PM
^ :rofl: I think I'll order one today. I might have to dust off my Williams gear, too.
Incredible!

Kubica is a lucky guy.

eiregosod
06-10-07, 02:51 PM
3. It took way too long for the Doctor to arrive.

the medical centre is at that part of the track :confused:

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 02:52 PM
:eek: Sato burning down the house today!
Banzai!:D

Robstar
06-10-07, 02:53 PM
kubica broken leg

Coulda been worse... :eek:

devilmaster
06-10-07, 02:54 PM
the medical centre is at that part of the track :confused:

the doc is in the safety car all race , iirc.. so they had to drive the whole track to get there.

pineapple
06-10-07, 02:54 PM
^ ^ ^and Tora!Tora!Tora! too. :laugh: That last pass on Alonso is one for the highlight reels.

Insomniac
06-10-07, 03:21 PM
Hoping someone can answer this question. Why do they open the pits, but then have a light to stop people from leaving the pits? Is it like California and the meter is on? ;)

Ohhh, and one of the announcers saying to Massa "read the rule book". :rofl:

Hardpoint
06-10-07, 03:27 PM
Didn't JPM get black flagged for doing the same thing a year or two ago in Montreal?

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 03:31 PM
^ ^ ^and Tora!Tora!Tora! too. :laugh: That last pass on Alonso is one for the highlight reels. He also did two kamikazi passes and made them stick at Indy a couple years ago. I like that guy :D

Insomniac
06-10-07, 03:43 PM
Didn't JPM get black flagged for doing the same thing a year or two ago in Montreal?

I think so, I remember it happening to him, just not when/where.

SteveH
06-10-07, 03:46 PM
Great news.

That track is deceptively dangerous. As high speed as any natural terrain road course but walled in like a street course. Very little room for error.

devilmaster
06-10-07, 03:47 PM
looked at a replay again of the crash.... i'm not convinced that kubica didn't hit the stalled red bull...

Looks like he might have hit the front wing with his rear wheel.

jonovision_man
06-10-07, 04:00 PM

Yup.

jono

oddlycalm
06-10-07, 04:23 PM
Why didn't Red Bull pit Webbo on that last SC... :confused: I was wondering the same. Coulda had a top 5 instead of finishing out of the points. :confused:

Good news on Kubica from the initial reports, lets hope it stays that way.

Big day for the one stop strategy...

oc

[Edit]This just in, race stopped by drunken marmot brawl....

http://www.robertweselmann.com/images/marmot.jpg

devilmaster
06-10-07, 04:54 PM
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3119039867907859307&q=kubica+crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGi1UA9cKL8

devilmaster
06-10-07, 05:05 PM
probably a better vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYKibIJbVY

looks like the car hit a barrel of some sort and not the speed toro rosso

SteveH
06-10-07, 05:50 PM
No broken bones for Kubica!!!

Amazing. :thumbup:

devilmaster
06-10-07, 05:52 PM
No broken bones for Kubica!!!

Amazing. :thumbup:

reports have said a broken leg.... http://www.offcamber.net/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

extramundane
06-10-07, 05:58 PM
reports have said a broken leg.... http://www.offcamber.net/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

AP report on Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-canadiangp-kubicacrash&prov=ap&type=lgns):

Team officials first reported the 22-year-old driver from Poland broke his right leg. Later, they said the leg was not broken, and other than being sore he had no apparent injuries.

pineapple
06-10-07, 06:15 PM
Well, that's good news. For a moment it looked somewhat like Fontana 99. It looks as though some safety modifications are in order for the track.

Dr. Corkski
06-10-07, 06:18 PM
Come on guys, get with the program here. Peter Windsor was more concerned about whether Lewis Hamilton was upset about Kubica than Kubica's physical well-being.

devilmaster
06-10-07, 06:35 PM
AP report on Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-canadiangp-kubicacrash&prov=ap&type=lgns):

coo thx!
:thumbup:

nissan gtp
06-10-07, 08:46 PM
sensational race, really glad Kube-head is ok.

thank god for the hans device

jonovision_man
06-10-07, 08:47 PM
probably a better vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYKibIJbVY

looks like the car hit a barrel of some sort and not the speed toro rosso

Just like with the Legge video, when you watch it again and ignore the flying bits, you can see why the driver survived. The part with his body keeps moving at all times, and while he's abruptly changing direction the fact that he's still going quite quickly means he didn't lose all that speed in an instant.

And car bits going everywhere means energy being dissipated.

Always amazing to see.

jono

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 09:19 PM
Check this out http://www.kubicarobert.com/ On that video, it looks like the front wing failed, the car lifted and went straight.

eiregosod
06-10-07, 09:54 PM
His head took a serious clatter against the barrier before the car came to rest.

his left front hit a tire barrier and spun him in the direction of the wall.

dando
06-10-07, 10:13 PM
Come on guys, get with the program here. Peter Windsor was more concerned about whether Lewis Hamilton was upset about Kubica than Kubica's physical well-being.

:shakehead

RusH
06-10-07, 10:24 PM

FPW

Methanolandbrats
06-10-07, 10:38 PM
:shakeheadThat was after they said he was ok.

Hard Driver
06-11-07, 12:46 AM
What a screwed up race....

Kubica... Wow, it says something about the safety that he is alive, let alone OK. Looks like they need to re-desing the walls in that area to avoid the potential of a head on crash like that again. Move out towards the track the first wall so that he would have glanced off that first would probably been better. It does seem like he hit something (tires, barrel) that ripped off the front right before he hit the wall, which looks like it turned him towards the wall a bit, but also probably took a bit of energy away from him and actually started him rotating slightly clockwise. That may have actually been quite helpful.

The pit stops.... or whatever you call them. That was downright amateur hour with them coming in on red lights, leaving on red lights, etc. Seems like they would have a strategist who knew the rules if you are spending hundreds of millions a year on this. And why did they wait to pit webber right before that restart rather than during the caution????

Super Aguri... :thumbup:

Oh, and Hamilton... He is the real deal....

And lets give an honorable mention to quick Nick who never let Hamilton out of his sight... Kudos to BMW for that.

I will say... very entertaining.

High Sided
06-11-07, 01:49 AM
from our boys at speed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T04agQvc78

jonovision_man
06-11-07, 09:09 AM

FPW

Peter Windsor spends a lot of time with these drivers, to imply that he doesn't care about Kubica's well-being is ignorant to the extreme.

jono

Boatdesigner
06-11-07, 09:37 AM
I was a little confused with the red light on pit road. Why would you open the pits so teams could come in, but not open it so they could leave? If the accident was on pit out it would make sense, but it wasn't. What didn't I see on TV? You can come in, but you can't leave . . .:shakehead

opinionated ow
06-11-07, 10:51 AM
I was a little confused with the red light on pit road. Why would you open the pits so teams could come in, but not open it so they could leave? If the accident was on pit out it would make sense, but it wasn't. What didn't I see on TV? You can come in, but you can't leave . . .:shakehead

the red light is shown when the safety car and the pack is within cooee of the pitlane. the cars must queue up until the green light is shown. brundle said he thought it was a mistake but the ruling is the ruling. Montoya got DQ'd for the same infringement a few years back also.

Easy
06-11-07, 11:26 AM
Its a good thing that IRL sleds are the only open wheelers that go airborne or Kubica might have hit that inside barrier without scrubbing off any speed.

Amazing that he wasn't significantly injured. That wall will need to be looked at for next year.

Devilmaster, track doc rides in the medical car not the safety car (both AMGs) but still has to travel from the pitlane to any incident. F1 still lacks the quick response that Champ Car and the IRL have been able to implement.

Dirty Sanchez
06-11-07, 11:33 AM
the response time was on par with champ car's imo. with an identical incident in the same corner of the track, I don't see how a doctor would've arrived faster in a champ car race.

devilmaster
06-11-07, 02:13 PM
Devilmaster, track doc rides in the medical car not the safety car (both AMGs) but still has to travel from the pitlane to any incident. F1 still lacks the quick response that Champ Car and the IRL have been able to implement.

Cool, thx for the info. :thumbup:

dando
06-11-07, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2900618

Poland's Robert Kubica emerged from a Montreal hospital on Monday to say he had recovered from minor injuries sustained in a horrific crash in Sunday's Canadian Formula One Grand Prix and hoped to race next weekend in Indianapolis.

:eek: :cool:

Every bit as amazing as Legge after her shut @ RA last season. :thumbup:

-Kevin

devilmaster
06-11-07, 02:42 PM
the red light is shown when the safety car and the pack is within cooee of the pitlane. the cars must queue up until the green light is shown. brundle said he thought it was a mistake but the ruling is the ruling. Montoya got DQ'd for the same infringement a few years back also.

The only thing I can think of is that under the SC, rolling through pit lane is quicker at Montreal than running the final chicane, front straight and the senna complex.

You could probably gain a few spots if you duck in, then cheat and say something went wrong and not stop to get service.

So you hold everyone in pit lane till the on track cars pass. Nascar does the same thing with a guy and a crossing guard sign... :shakehead

Dirty Sanchez
06-11-07, 02:56 PM
no, that's not it. pit lane speed<trolling behind the safety car speed. the violation was classified as a safety violation and the penalty was harsher than a simple time penalty (which is all alonso and rosberg got for pitting while the pits were closed)

no idea exactly what was unsafe about it... but perhaps they were clearing the exit for a safety vehicle to get around the track or something like that.

opinionated ow
06-11-07, 08:05 PM
The only thing I can think of is that under the SC, rolling through pit lane is quicker at Montreal than running the final chicane, front straight and the senna complex.

You could probably gain a few spots if you duck in, then cheat and say something went wrong and not stop to get service.

So you hold everyone in pit lane till the on track cars pass. Nascar does the same thing with a guy and a crossing guard sign... :shakehead

it is the same rule at every circuit. it is in the FIA International Sporting code. It applies to V8 Supercars as much as F1. Nothing to do with the circuit, just conincidence.

Easy
06-12-07, 12:10 PM
the response time was on par with champ car's imo. with an identical incident in the same corner of the track, I don't see how a doctor would've arrived faster in a champ car race.

I was saying the safety crews still get to crashes faster. You're right about the docs not getting there any faster.

Dirty Sanchez
06-12-07, 12:21 PM
I was saying the safety crews still get to crashes faster. You're right about the docs not getting there any faster.they were there in less than 20 seconds. if I'm not mistaken the red helmet wearing dude in the video posted above is a doctor.

Andrew Longman
06-12-07, 02:06 PM
they were there in less than 20 seconds. if I'm not mistaken the red helmet wearing dude in the video posted above is a doctor.

Might be less than 20 seconds before the first help arrived

Check out this other view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs&mode=related&search=

Watch the corner worker at the bottom of the screen as/just as Kubica flys past him. Clearly not at all at ease with what just happened

You can also see a rescue car at the crash site at once

Easy
06-12-07, 03:15 PM
they were there in less than 20 seconds. if I'm not mistaken the red helmet wearing dude in the video posted above is a doctor.

In any event I'd rather crash an F1 than a Panoz backbreaking POS.

tllips
06-13-07, 10:20 AM
In any event I'd rather crash an F1 than a Panoz backbreaking POS.

I did hear on the broadcast of the Portland race that ChampCar brought in Dr. Trammell to analyze and improve the DP01 to prevent more back injuries. While it may be a too late to help PT, it does show willingness to fix it.

Andrew Longman
06-13-07, 10:45 AM
PT said the Panoz issue was due to the mounting points for the belts, though he wasn't clear if it was simply an issue for PT and his particular seating position or for the DP01 in general. Either way its pretty clear they are on it.

And I'm not so sure I would prefer an F1 car in a wreck. The DP01 is much beefier than a typical F1 car and presumably built to withstand oval crashes.

jonovision_man
06-13-07, 11:14 AM
And I'm not so sure I would prefer an F1 car in a wreck. The DP01 is much beefier than a typical F1 car and presumably built to withstand oval crashes.

F1 hasn't had a fatality since 1994, they're doing something right.

It's a bit tough to say, too, F1 has 11 different chassis out there, there's probably some variation.

DP01 is a bit of an unknown quantity, but after PT's relatively harmless looking bump ended up in injury, I'd pick Kubica's BMW until they're sure they've sorted it all out...

jono

Dr. Corkski
06-13-07, 11:38 AM
And I'm not so sure I would prefer an F1 car in a wreck. The DP01 is much beefier than a typical F1 car and presumably built to withstand oval crashes.So is a stock car. You rather crash in that too? :laugh:

Easy
06-13-07, 12:00 PM

IRL cars are much bigger than an F1 too but I'd certainly not want to take Kubica's ride in one of those.

Twisty Bits
06-13-07, 12:38 PM
Kubica > Brack in a wreck off.:D

Dirty Sanchez
06-13-07, 12:42 PM
Kubica > Brainiac