PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to driving around Chicago for RA

RTKar
05-04-03, 05:13 PM
The Lake Michigan car ferry www.ssbadger.com (888) 223-4379.

rocket
05-04-03, 07:54 PM
It is a little pricy, but definately worth it to avoid the frustration of Chicago traffic.
We took the trip to Ludington a few years back, and did that ever bring back the memories, that is a trip our grandparents took us on every year. Ludington still has that small town charm, and is so beautiful. When we docked in Ludington, I saw the City of Midland Carferry in the water, that was the smallest of the 3 that used to run, I can't remember what the name of the other one was, but we had crossed the lake on all three of them through the years. They used to run from Milwaukee too, now it is just back and forth between Manitowac and Ludington.

Now I'm thinking I should take a long weekend, and head over there with Brittany sometime this summer.:)

chop456
05-04-03, 09:57 PM
Here's another one in the works that will run to/from St. Joseph, MI - Waukegan, IL - Racine, WI, supposedly starting in 2004. It was supposed to be 2003, but they weren't able to get their boat in time. From what I understand, that's important for a ferry business.

http://www.fastkatferry.com/

rocket
05-04-03, 11:08 PM
I like the old ones where your vehicle can come along for the ride too:thumbup:
At one point there was another company tring to put LMC out of business. I don't think it is that same one you have linked chop...that one is more like a commuter ferry service.

devilmaster
05-05-03, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by chop456
but they weren't able to get their boat in time. From what I understand, that's important for a ferry business.

Boat? We don't need no stinkin boat! ;)

Anyways, if I do RA this year, that looks like a good possibility, one thing though... it leaves michigan at 8 am. 4 hour trip across, but I from what I hear it lands only 20-30 minutes from RA.

It can get a bit pricey. Looking at the webpage, if you have a vehicle, it will be about 45 bucks per person, and then another 50 for the car on top. Definitely pricey but it will be more relaxing than drivin through Chicago. Thats worth a couple extra bucks.

Steve

chop456
05-05-03, 03:20 AM
You'll also avoid the I-80/94 mess around the Indiana border, and Milwaukee also. There IS traffic in Milwaukee, believe it or not.

RTKar
05-05-03, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Boat? We don't need no stinkin boat! ;)

It can get a bit pricey. Looking at the webpage, if you have a vehicle, it will be about 45 bucks per person, and then another 50 for the car on top. Definitely pricey but it will be more relaxing than drivin through Chicago. Thats worth a couple extra bucks.

Steve
Do the old drive in theater trick, stick Twisty in the trunk...save $45.:D