PDA

View Full Version : Toyota TF103 launch...

GrandView
01-08-03, 11:25 PM
http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=53135

Classic Apex
01-09-03, 12:11 AM
I am guessing this years Toyota engine is much more compact this year, judging from the highly sloped engine cover near the air box area.

(whoa. I want an award for that astute observation. Hammered in Omaha and I noticed that??? and spelled stuff almost right???)

Foxman
01-09-03, 09:13 AM
Last I heard Toy Mo Co was bringing in billions in profit every year, they have more money to spend than they know what to do with, so I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped 150M into their engine and made it very compact and powerful.. Hate to say it, but with a budget like theirs, they WILL be a power player in the next few years.

GrandView
01-09-03, 03:09 PM
It's rather funny to read the reaction to Toyota's launch on the various forums.

Several people taking Toyota to task for not creating something a bit more "revolutionary". Ferrari F2002 "clone" is the buzzword.

I think Toyota is taking the correct approach in their sophomore year. They can't afford the risk that a revolutionary design will carry with it. They need reliability and results.

However, I would expect to see something new and different from Williams.......or McLaren in April.

Toyota has the budget, and hopefully the patience to be successful. Although I'm not sure a wholesale change of drivers after their inaugral year indicates patience.

I think they'll ultimately be successful. Whether they'll be winning successful depends upon the personnel they acquire and/or retain.

GV

WickerBill
01-09-03, 03:12 PM
Ferrari clone is a BAD thing?

It's not going to be a fair comparison to last year's car because of the different drivers; however, I think they've made an upward move in driver talent overall, so I would expect races not plagued with mechanical problems to show better results than 2002.

WB

GrandView
01-09-03, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Ferrari clone is a BAD thing?

Heh Heh...

One wouldn't think so. Although it resembles the F2002 in several areas, that's only skin deep.

.....I think they've made an upward move in driver talent overall, so I would expect races not plagued with mechanical problems to show better results than 2002.

I'd probably agree with that assessment.

I think much depends upon how much mid-season development they anticipate, and how quickly CDM becomes acclimated to the car and circuits.

GV

Ziggy
01-09-03, 06:52 PM
Grandview, thanks for the link. Im sorry, they all look like a Ferrari to me! What's with the big a** boots those throttle jockeys are wearing?

CDM could be in for a rude awakening. I always hate to see someone with such flair go to F1 in something other than a top flight car. The bait of international stardom has been taken before, and utilized by few... He will either fish or cut bait, and it will show real quick.

Hoping for the best

Ziggy

mnkywrch
01-09-03, 11:36 PM
So McNish had the first launch of part of the new car at Suzuka last season? ;)

RacinM3
01-10-03, 12:40 AM
Car looks good, but am I the only one here hoping they blow the motor in every session this year? I have a real hard time being a Toyota fan right now......