PDA

View Full Version : Honda's Blown Up Again

Elmo T
06-03-07, 02:57 PM
Well, not exactly like the race motors, but hitting closer to home.

We blew the first transmission on our 2003 Honda Odyssey at 37K miles.

The second was blown at 92K miles. Both were replaced at no cost to us.

Less than a week after replacing the second transmission, Mrs. Elmo calls me because the van won't start. The drive selector was broken and the van didn't know it was in Park. They tow the van away for that repair too.

Last week, less than 3K miles since the 2nd transmission was replaced, the van is acting up again. A visit to the dealer, a diagnosis of bad EGR valve - replaced under warranty.

Literally the next day, the TCS light comes on, transmission is all over the place. Certainly another blown transmission. That is blown transmission number 3 for those updating their score cards.

What recourse do we have with Honda? Legal ones only please ;) . We assume, at a minimum, they'll replace it again. :rolleyes:

Also, the van color is red rock pearl - always an important fact in car problems. :D

Insomniac
06-03-07, 06:13 PM

Less than a week after replacing the second transmission, Mrs. Elmo calls me because the van won't start. The drive selector was broken and the van didn't know it was in Park. They tow the van away for that repair too.

Last week, less than 3K miles since the 2nd transmission was replaced, the van is acting up again. A visit to the dealer, a diagnosis of bad EGR valve - replaced under warranty.

Literally the next day, the TCS light comes on, transmission is all over the place. Certainly another blown transmission. That is blown transmission number 3 for those updating their score cards.

What recourse do we have with Honda? Legal ones only please ;) . We assume, at a minimum, they'll replace it again. :rolleyes:

Also, the van color is red rock pearl - always an important fact in car problems. :D

Lemon Law? Factory Buyback?

Elmo T
06-03-07, 06:38 PM
Lemon Law?

That was my hope, but it looks like PA Lemon Law is for the first year only.

Factory buy back is what the wife is hoping for. We have a phone call in to Honda of America. She may deliver it back by driving it through the dealer's window. :eek:

Don Quixote
06-03-07, 06:38 PM
This sounds more like a Volvo than a Honda. :gomer:

dando
06-03-07, 07:06 PM

@ 4 years old? You don't have any recourse under the lemon law, and it's highly unlikely the dealer will be compelled to do squat about it. We dealt with an electrical bugaboo (the electrical system would just go out for no apparent reason under various conditions) with our Jeep Grand Cherokee over the past three years, and we couldn't do squat about it under the lemon law, etc. By the time we turned the car in, it prolly would taken $3K to get the car fixed due to various issues. POS. :irked:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-03-07, 07:11 PM
You're probably screwed although it sounds like the dealership mechanics are less than stellar. Friend had a POS Chrysler Minivan. When it was just out of warranty it coughed up both axles, second transmission, power windows and sounded like a coffee can full of bolts. He called "customer service". They told him "Sir, if you choose to drive your vehicle beyond the warranty period, it's up to you". :laugh: Honda on the other hand does have a reputation for helping people out to maintain their "reliability" rating. Good luck.

Tifosi24
06-03-07, 07:18 PM
This thread is curious, because I was listening to Car Talk yesterday (I know I am a nerd) and a caller was talking about how he was having trouble with Piston Slap and not getting good service from Honda. They recommended that the caller try and see what he could get done at another Honda dealership, and if that didn't work make a call into the Zone Manager. I am by no means a Honda expert, but the call on Car Talk and your situation, from a service standpoint, are quite similar.

Elmo T
06-03-07, 07:23 PM
They recommended that the caller try and see what he could get done at another Honda dealership, and if that didn't work make a call into the Zone Manager.

I pondered a call to Click and Clack.

We have a call into Honda of America. The dealer has been more than cooperative and we haven't spent a dime on any of these repairs. Maybe you get what you pay for. :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
06-04-07, 12:34 AM

Elmo - have you checked to see if you Ody falls within the VIN range for the extended warranty for transmissions? I beleive that most every one of the 2001-2003 Ody and most of the V6 Accords had multiple probs with the trans, and therefore the warranty was extended to 6yr\100k miles for trans alone....
If you have been taking it to you local Honda dealer, they should be able to verify that for you.
Also - if you take your vehicle to a H dealer for routine services at the minor\ major intervals 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k, etc.... then the dealer will be far more likely to offer "goodwill" assistance on the repairs, should your vehicle NOT be one of the ones included in the VIN range for the "service campaign" and warranty extension. If you are not the original owner of the van, then the announcement piece went to someone else. Goodwill assistance typically comes in the form of partial repair assistance - i.e. - you pay for the parts at internal\dealer cost - Honda (AHM) pays for the labor, dealer does the work at "shop rate" not customer pay or warranty rate. Or some variety or variation of any of those costs. Call the Honda customer relations main number (should be in your warranty book) or definitely listed on the honda.com website - be nice to them, explain your sitch and tell them you want to buy another Honda (even if its not true at this time) and they will be far more likely to offer total\partial assistance than if you threaten them with "if you dont fix this p.o.s. then I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA and I'LL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW HOW POORLY this thing....blah, blah, blah..." kind of thing....
Speaking with a Zone Mgr doesnt work for Honda - they are very "thin" in terms of field personnel. Try to find out when the DPSM (District Parts and Service Mgr) is coming by the store and ask for an appt with him\her. Make sure you have all of your maint docs, repair bills and stuff with you, and be direct yet ask them for their opinion and what they would do if they were in your sitch ????
Check out the possible warranty extension deal-io on you VIN.
If NO, then call the Honda 1-800- customer service place in Torrance, CA
OR, ask for an appt with your DPSM and get all your info prepared and BE NICE !
Hope it all works out for you.....

Also - if you would be willing to do so, Honda Odyssey (and ALL Minivan sales for that matter) sales are WAAYYYY off pace this year as people are buying SAV, CUVs, etc..... and there are KILLER LEASE deals, LOW APR rates and straight up "Factory to Dealer" cash incentives on Odyssey right now.... the 2005 model and up were designed with a 5spd trans and targeted a ride that is comparable to a BMW 7 series. My wife drives an '05 EX-L NAV\RES and it is a pretty decent ride - all things considered.

Tell 'em you want to apply the equity in your current van towards the purchase \ lease of a new Ody - that way they know you want to remain loyal to the brand and will do biz with them again - even though the first one didnt do so hot for ya - and they can run some numbers for you. Go to kbb.com and find out what your current van is worth, then also get the invoice price on the new one you want and ask 'em for $1,500 BELOW that invoice price.... - see where that takes you, if you well and truly do want to get another Ody van.... good luck !:thumbup:

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 05:49 AM
Sorry to hear it Elmo.

I'm (actually the wife) is on a second Honda minivan and we've had almost no problems other than have to replace a vew EGR valves and some valve in the tranny (at no cost) on the last one (2001 model).

Sounds like you are happy with your dealer but if you want to try it I can highly recommend the dealer over in Clinton.

Between my wife, her family, and myself we've been through about 10-12 Hondas and much more than two million happy miles. Just for piece of mind you might seek a great deal on a new one with your dealer.

cart7
06-04-07, 07:07 AM
I'd say the fact you're getting the thing fixed under warranty should be enough on Honda's end. The fact they're dropping new trannies into the thing is pretty drastic vs. trying to rebuild them.

I had a 1997 Ford F-150 with the V6 motor. At 160k miles, a lower intake manifold gasket let go sending water into the cylinders and oil pan. Ate the rod bearings. Upon investigation, Ford had a recall for a front timing chain cover gasket that would fail and send water into the oil pan and a service bulletin concerning the lower intake manifold gaskets doing the same thing.

While it wasn't admitted in the service bulletin, the reason for the failure was pitting in the head/intake manifold castings that caused water blowby. The fix was beefier coated gaskets that melded themselves to the surfaces creating a better seal. When I did the repair myself I saw the rather poor casting job on both surfaces.

I called Ford to get some reprieve, the representative said this after I told her I had 160k miles on it.

"Well, it sounds like you got good service out of your Ford doesnt' it?"

I knew I was getting nowhere from there on.

Elmo T
06-04-07, 08:19 AM
The fact they're dropping new trannies into the thing is pretty drastic vs. trying to rebuild them.

I made the assumption the transmissions were rebuilt, not new. They were using all Honda factory parts, etc, etc.

We really can't complain about their willingness to take ownership of the problem. I think the bigger question is this: A) a serious design flaw that will continue to haunt the van; or B) bad workmanship. A check on the internet and you can see there are serious transmission problems with the Odyssey. We'll see how it goes today.

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 08:38 AM
Upon investigation, Ford had a recall for a front timing chain cover gasket that would fail and send water into the oil pan and a service bulletin concerning the lower intake manifold gaskets doing the same thing.

Interesting since the cause (bad casting) was the same at both locations and the effect in either case is a trashed engine.

Hard not to conclude that some Ford beancounter figured that the extra cost/effort of repairing and intake manifold seal versus the front timing chain cover wasn't worth the risk of a potential problem at 160K. The comment from the Ford service person is telling.

I remember going through service bulletins for a disaster of 1996 Dodge minivan I had. I waded through endless pages of notices, recognizing most of the problems. Out of curiousity I looked up service bulletins for the 96 Prelude I owned at the time. There were two. One was the original repair manual (all cars have that one). The second was for the rubber pad on the clutch pedal. It might wear a little early.:D

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 08:43 AM
I think the bigger question is this: A) a serious design flaw that will continue to haunt the van; or B) bad workmanship.

I believe it is the design. I recall that is was changed in 04 or 05. My current 05 is identical in almost all ways to my prior except the transmission behaves noticably different. My old one would give a pretty heavy downshift when decelerating that I never liked much. The current one does not do that.

Winston Wolfe
06-04-07, 09:18 AM
I believe it is the design. I recall that is was changed in 04 or 05. My current 05 is identical in almost all ways to my prior except the transmission behaves noticably different. My old one would give a pretty heavy downshift when decelerating that I never liked much. The current one does not do that.

There was a complete MMC (major model change) on the Ody for the 2005 MY - meaning it was a ground up, everything changed 6 year cycle that was planned. The trans went from 4spd to a 5spd (auto, including OD) as well, and there was a valve (like someone said up above) that was causing the problems.... check out that warranty extension for the trans and see if it applies to your van....

Winston Wolfe
06-04-07, 09:52 AM
Hope I am doing this correctly....
found this on tov.net (temple of vtec) - I snipped this part of a post which is in quotes:

"The V6 AT Hondas made from 99 through 03 had some problems with the transmissions... not all, mind you, but just enough that AHM instituted a 7 year / 100K mile warranty on them. And they have a pretty liberal policy of replacing them. Supposedly the problem only got resolved in 03, so anyone who got a transmission replacement before then may be unlucky enough to have to go through it again."

again, I would suggest checking with the dealer to see if your VIN falls into the affected range - if not, you still have a good story to tell since you are now aware there was a major prob with that 2nd generation van transmission.

KLang
06-04-07, 11:34 AM
I drove Honda products for quite a few years and the V6 trannys are the only problem I ever had with any of them. My 01 CL had the tranny replaced and my 04 TL had a recall to have some extra lubrication plumbing added to the tranny. This issue should have been a major black eye for them but they seemed to have come out of it pretty well by making things right for their customers.

Really bad luck going through three trannys in the Odyssey. Wonder if there is some other factor at play here?

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 12:53 PM
There was a complete MMC (major model change) on the Ody for the 2005 MY - meaning it was a ground up, everything changed 6 year cycle that was planned. The trans went from 4spd to a 5spd (auto, including OD) as well, and there was a valve (like someone said up above) that was causing the problems.... check out that warranty extension for the trans and see if it applies to your van....

Duh. Mine is an 04, not 05. I'm getting old when I can't remember what year my car is.:gomer:

You are correct, and yes the problem I had on my older one was a valve in the transmission. Honda took care of everything. But my 04 shifts and behaves noticably different than my old Oddy. Much better.

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 12:57 PM
This issue should have been a major black eye for them but they seemed to have come out of it pretty well by making things right for their customers.

Unlike Chrysler who has had problems with their minivan transmission since their version of it.

Their current minivans share a transmission with the Neon (believe it or not) and while they don't just crap as they used to they tend to go into limp mode and not come out of 2nd gear. Last I heard they also still don't know why.

oddlycalm
06-04-07, 04:52 PM
Probably best to walk away from the car Elmo. While Honda has replaced everything up till now under warranty your time has value and inconvenience is a real issue.

I've seen dealers, sometimes with the participation of the mfg., offer a preferential trade-in deal on a new car to people in this situation.

oc

Elmo T
06-04-07, 05:41 PM
Probably best to walk away from the car Elmo. While Honda has replaced everything up till now under warranty your time has value and inconvenience is a real issue.

oc

That has kinda been the point. Repairs haven't cost us anything and we haven't reached the 100K mark. Even the folks at the auto rental place know us by name now. :shakehead

We are still waiting for the official diagnosis and no return calls from Honda of America yet.

Thanks everyone for all the help too. We here at OC might not be able to solve the problems of open wheel racing, but we seem to be pretty good at raising babies, repairing cars, and buying new cars to tow our boats. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
06-04-07, 06:03 PM
1) hide the car really well
2) report it as stolen
3) ????
4) profit!

TKGAngel
06-04-07, 08:43 PM
2) report it as stolen
3) ????
4) profit!

Is someone in the insurance industry recommending insurance fraud? :saywhat:

Methanolandbrats
06-04-07, 08:45 PM
2) report it as stolen
3) ????
4) profit!

WHere do you work again? Does your boss have the innernet? What's your boss's name? ;)

Elmo T
06-04-07, 10:33 PM
2) report it as stolen
3) ????
4) profit!

I've investigated enough car fires to see how the amateurs do it. :rolleyes: I'll pass on the commission of a felony. ;)

Dealer surmising that it isn't the transmission, but perhaps a bad shift indicator. "The van doesn't know what gear it is in..." They are still troubleshooting...

skaven
06-05-07, 01:41 AM
2) report it as stolen
3) ????
4) profit!

That only works with underpants... :gomer:

Elmo T
12-10-12, 12:12 PM
AND.... transmission #4 has apparently bitten the dust now. The van has 169K now and I don't recall paying anything for previous transmissions. BUT this is clearly a design flaw. :saywhat:

Time to put her down once and for good now. :(

Andrew Longman
12-10-12, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear it.

Yes it was a design flaw which is why to my knowledge Honda fixed them well beyond the warranty period and why they changed the design. Chrysler could take a lesson in that area. :irked:

169K is not a bad run, but dropping a tranny should not be reason to compact an otherwise sound car. You have reason to be frustrated.

If it is running at all I could have Trevor drop down and drive into a tree as he did mine. :gomer:

BTW, you didn't happen to be lapping the Oddy at VIR like Trevor was were you? :D

Elmo T
12-10-12, 07:24 PM
Yea - I hear ya. But after 4 of the same have gone ker-blammo, do I want to stick around for #5 to go? And do I want to drop several K on a 10 year old minivan? All rhetorical, but....

Waiting for the diagnosis. :irked:

dando
12-10-12, 07:45 PM
Yea - I hear ya. But after 4 of the same have gone ker-blammo, do I want to stick around for #5 to go? And do I want to drop several K on a 10 year old minivan? All rhetorical, but....

Waiting for the diagnosis. :irked:

I keep thinking of the scene from M*A*S*H where Col. Potter shoots the Jeep after Frank runs it over with a tank. ;) Maybe it will fall off the rack. :)

Good choice not to take it down to WDW. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Indy
12-11-12, 09:34 AM
OK, just for S&G, which Odyssey model years had the garbage transmissions? Are the newer ones OK?

Elmo T
12-11-12, 10:41 AM
Well I can only speak for 2003. :rolleyes:

By 2003, they reportedly had the transmission issues fixed. :thumdown:

Check out the forums here and search for transmission problems. They all read the same:

http://www.odyclub.com/

EDIT - And I found this gem in my bookmarks:

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

dando
12-11-12, 10:56 AM
Well I can only speak for 2003. :rolleyes:

By 2003, they reportedly had the transmission issues fixed. :thumdown:

Check out the forums here and search for transmission problems. They all read the same:

http://www.odyclub.com/

Our neighbors had one circa 2003, and they never had any issues, but they weren't driving across the Earth like you. ;). They just upgraded to a newer model recently.

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-11-12, 11:13 AM
Our neighbors had one circa 2003, and they never had any issues, but they weren't driving across the Earth like you. ;). They just upgraded to a newer model recently.

-Kevin

If I was doing track days with it (like Trevor :laugh:), then yea, I get it. But this is the Mom wagon. Lots of highway miles, no neutral dropping, tires burnouts, street racing, etc.

This thing was flawed from the start. I have a post here on OC somewhere where I said it was acting up very early on.

Looks like resale puts it in the $5K range. Tough call. :irked:

dando
12-11-12, 11:58 AM
If I was doing track days with it (like Trevor :laugh:), then yea, I get it. But this is the Mom wagon. Lots of highway miles, no neutral dropping, tires burnouts, street racing, etc.

This thing was flawed from the start. I have a post here on OC somewhere where I said it was acting up very early on.

Looks like resale puts it in the $5K range. Tough call. :irked:

Welcome to my world getting $2K for the Bimmer, after putting ~$5K into it the past couple of years (tires, brakes, radiator, power steering leak, fixing the air intake sensor due to the disintegrated K&M cold air intake, etc.). I nixed several other repairs that needed to be done (suspension work was also suggested ($$$). It had a chronic leak under the engine, so I finally punted. It also had some rust starting, the side swipe ala the Mrs, the radio display couldn't be seen except faintly @ night, and the air bag light was on. It was time to part ways...kinda like something else in my life. I just wish that was as easy as getting a new ride. ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-11-12, 05:02 PM
False alarm. :rolleyes::saywhat:

Wife's report was RPM's all over the place and van was "jolting". She drives wayyy more than me each day. She knows.

Dealer says all is well. Nothing. Drove over 15 miles. Checked error codes - nothing. Checked fluid. Perfect.

So...... what the heck was going on? He speculated something about a stuck solenoid.

:confused:

dando
12-11-12, 05:29 PM
False alarm. :rolleyes::saywhat:

Wife's report was RPM's all over the place and van was "jolting". She drives wayyy more than me each day. She knows.

Dealer says all is well. Nothing. Drove over 15 miles. Checked error codes - nothing. Checked fluid. Perfect.

So...... what the heck was going on? He speculated something about a stuck solenoid.

:confused:

Solenoid? That's part of the ignition system. :saywhat: I'm not Manic Mechanic, but I don't see how that has anything to do with once the vehicle is started.

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-11-12, 05:41 PM
Muffler bearings is my guess.

More than likely it was the nut loose behind the steering wheel. :saywhat:

dando
12-11-12, 05:51 PM

That's a little harsh on Erin, isn't it? :D ;)

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-11-12, 11:11 PM

-Kevin

:rofl:

Elmo T
12-12-12, 07:44 AM

-Kevin

I can say that cause she doesn't read OC.....shhhhhhh;)

Should have had the string of obscenities from her when I told her they said nothing was wrong. :)

dando
12-12-12, 08:19 AM
I can say that cause she doesn't read OC.....shhhhhhh;)

Should have had the string of obscenities from her when I told her they said nothing was wrong. :)

fjNqLOorulI

:D

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-12-12, 11:20 AM
Muffler bearings is my guess.

:rofl: :rofl:
I feel your pain. My wife hears sounds from her car every single day. She doesn't like it when I tell her to turn the radio up.

And, she gets cut off by some "maniac" every single day driving to or from work. You don't spose she is driving in folks' blind spots?

dando
12-12-12, 11:29 AM
:rofl: :rofl:
I feel your pain. My wife hears sounds from her car every single day. She doesn't like it when I tell her to turn the radio up.

And, she gets cut off by some "maniac" every single day driving to or from work. You don't spose she is driving in folks' blind spots?

And you once told me to drive it until it doesn't cast a shadow. ;) I've got a memory like a sponge...absorbs a lot, but just about as smart. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

chop456
12-13-12, 02:42 AM

It could be my wife that's cutting her off. Every time I get in her car, the mirrors are adjusted so that they're looking at the sides of the car. Handy if you suspect someone's siphoning gas from your car as you're going down the road. Not so much for driving.

dando
12-13-12, 03:06 AM
It could be my wife that's cutting her off. Every time I get in her car, the mirrors are adjusted so that they're looking at the sides of the car. Handy if you suspect someone's siphoning gas from your car as you're going down the road. Not so much for driving.

Those mirrors will never work. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-13-12, 09:41 AM
And you once told me to drive it until it doesn't cast a shadow. ;)
-Kevin

:rofl::rofl: THAT I'll remember.

I am also forever hearing noises. Especially in TravelGuy's 15-year old Civic. Have to bite my tongue. The philosophy is, "When it's loud enough for TravelGuy to notice, it's probably gotten serious enough that it needs attention."

Elmo T
12-30-12, 10:01 PM
So after the last go 'round with the Honda - the Mrs. decided it HAD to go. We'd been looking off and on for a few months. Just seeing what was out there, options, etc.

What we NEEDED? We NEEDED another mini-van. Lots of family road trips (Honda @ 170K, Subie @ 106K, Saturn had 220K when we dumped that), DVD's for kids, storage room, 4WD, third row option for hauling additional ballerinas and soccer players. Something good for trips to store AND runs to Disney, DC, VA, OH, etc. Problem is she didn't WANT a mini-van.

Looked at Flex, Explorer, the Toyota SUVs. She concluded she wanted a Tahoe. I went to dealer and knew it wasn't going to work. NO storage space with the 3rd row up. Maybe a couple bags of groceries. As it relates to Chevy, my sister works for GMAC Mortgage - meaning I get the employee discount thingy. Appropriate because it seems like I have a new mortgage payment.

They gave us $2500 for the Honda with the sketchy transmission.

So what do we end up with? A Surburban. :saywhat::saywhat:

For a truck - it is very nice. Not a Mom-mobile, but plenty of room and all the amenities she wanted. Looks just like the one below. A happy wife means a happy life. A happy wife means a happy life. A happy wife means a happy life. ;)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vjwj9f.jpg

nrc
12-31-12, 02:39 AM
Does it fit in the garage?

I was noticing on the way home this evening that the latest crop of mini vans have gotten even uglier.

Gnam
12-31-12, 02:42 AM
What no fire engine red? ;)

When she's behind the wheel do you guys still call her mom, or is it Commander?

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/4163/tankgirl.jpg

Nice whip. Teenagers love SUV's. :thumbup:

Elmo T
12-31-12, 07:41 AM
Does it fit in the garage?

I was noticing on the way home this evening that the latest crop of mini vans have gotten even uglier.

I haven't tried yet - but will certainly need to move the snow blower and junk across the back wall.

And yes, the vans hurt the eyes.

Not a day has gone by that she hasn't said "I love my truck". Seriously. ;)

What no fire engine red?

I wanted white. She said no white and no red. :laugh:

chop456
12-31-12, 08:40 AM

No way, Dude.

Sex on wheels. :thumbup:

http://images02.olx.com/ui/19/37/68/f_295512968-4075425558.jpeg

People often mistake it for a Corvette.

At least the ones that don't walk up and ask me for a Bomb Pop.

Elmo T
12-31-12, 09:31 AM
At least the ones that don't walk up and ask me for a Bomb Pop.

There are so many of the generic minivans at the soccer games, last year my sister-in-law ran across the parking lot in the pouring rain, hopped into the van, and shut the door.

Only after she looked up and saw horrified and strange faces did she realize she was not in OUR van. :laugh:

DagoFast
12-31-12, 01:29 PM
Elmo, your wife is gonna love that beast. It is the most versatile, comfortable family vehicle imaginable. Holding 8 people and all of their stuff absolutely rocks! We bought one back in 1999 when our 2 kids were fully embroiled in the whole full menu of soccer/baseball/basketball/dance/choir/school activities. It also logged thousands upon thousands of miles on trips skiing, hauling dirt bikes to the desert & kayaks to the lakes, hauling a bunch of buddies to CART/ChampCar races and family vacations all over the west. Gas was "only" about a buck fitty a gallon when we bought it which was fine, but I used to bitch about filling up a 42 gallon tank when gas went over $3 a gallon. But then we rented some minivans on flyaway vacations and found them to not really get much better fuel mileage at all, so it sort of put it all in perspective for me. Ours will do an honest 18+ on the highway with the cruise set at 70 MPH. The city average has been about 15 for me, 13 for my kids, because they drive like Mario. But ours has the old Vortec 350, your new 5.3 engine will easily beat that, providing you're not married to Shirley Muldowney. I taught both of our kids how to drive in it, made them take their tests in it (including parallel parking, just because I'm a mean, mean man!) and it became each of their first car. They shared it for a couple years and now our son is a HS junior and its his sole ride. I'm not sure how his girlfriends parents feel about a vehicle with 2 back seats. :laugh: I tried not to think about that while it was my daughters ride. :irked:

It has 175k on it and is still running strong on the original engine/trans. That's not to say its been bulletproof. In typical for the times GM fashion; I've replaced every single door lock solenoid at one time or another and a couple of them twice. The inside drivers door handle is on its 3rd one. Same for the fuel pump, but we paid for the lifetime GM warranty on that one first time around, so the other 2 have been free. The most expensive stupid repair was the steering box at $800 bucks. It wasn't worn out, it just went in to some super over-boosted mode all the time that made freeway driving very challenging as the tank would get a wee-bit "darty" at speed requiring Rick Mear's levels of smoothness. We actually put that repair off for a couple of years until it was time to put the kids behind the wheel. The most expensive necessary repair (hey, we live in Phoenix!) was $1k for a new AC compressor at 165k miles.

Anyway, here's hoping your family enjoys yours as much as we did ours. :thumbup: