PDA

View Full Version : The King of Yellow Beer

Ankf00
06-02-07, 05:00 AM
shipped to me in person by request. thank shiva for southwest airlines. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/smokin.gif

http://www.djangowalker.com/images/loney.jpg

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

Spicoli
06-02-07, 05:08 AM
go to bed Ank. :shakehead

Ankf00
06-02-07, 05:24 AM
don't you have some lame, cheap ass version of a kayak to be pedaling around?

my bad, a "sea, dooooo" :rolleyes:

seriously though, with the time diff, i really do need to get to bed... :laugh:

EDwardo
06-02-07, 08:13 AM
Okay, so truthfully Lone Star is an unremarkable, flavorless "American"-style beer.
http://www.united-nations-of-beer.com/lone-star-beer.html

And it is owned by Pabst.

But that's alright. At least it isn't Coors.

;)

chop456
06-02-07, 08:22 AM
Were they out of Pearl? :yuck:

Spicoli
06-02-07, 09:11 AM
I got some hate mail. i'm sure Ank-a-billy won;t care if I share with the calss. :rofl:

Ankf00
Legend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ain't had quality yellow beer for 3 and a half mother ****ing months.

I will not tolerate Lone Star hating.

PURE. TEXAN. BEER.

!!!!!

:D

Ankf00
06-02-07, 10:27 AM

LONE STAR!!!

Were they out of Pearl?
that swill's for San Antonio Sissies. Lone Star's hand crafted for today's more worldly palette.

EDwardo
06-02-07, 10:59 AM

LONE STAR!!!

that swill's for San Antonio Sissies. Lone Star's hand crafted for today's more worldly palette.

Lone Star used to be brewed in San Antonio. Now it is contracted out to Miller and brewed in Wisconsin. Adolphus Busch was one of the founders of the original Lone Star Brewery.
I read somewhere that there are plans to build a new brewery in Oklahoma City to shorten the distance for transportation.

Methanolandbrats
06-02-07, 11:14 AM
Lone Star used to be brewed in San Antonio. Now it is contracted out to Miller and brewed in Wisconsin. Adolphus Busch was one of the founders of the original Lone Star Brewery.
I read somewhere that there are plans to build a new brewery in Oklahoma City to shorten the distance for transportation. Contracting with Miller to brew is somewhat like contracting with College Painters to freshen up the Sistine Chapel. Miller's specialty is churning out millions of gallons of tasteless piss. Mission accomplished.:yuck:

devilmaster
06-02-07, 11:16 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/141921366_578e841f3e.jpg

http://arrogantbastard.com/animated/animation2.gif

Ankf00
06-02-07, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry that all you mouth breathers are incapable of appreciating the sophisticated and timeless old world subtlety of such a classic premium beer. It's foie gras in carbonated and hopped form. One should expect no less from the National Beer of Texas.

I read somewhere that there are plans to build a new brewery in Oklahoma City to shorten the distance for transportation.

:flame: act. of. war. :flame:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/141921366_578e841f3e.jpg

yea, we have some stone ipa in the fridge, we leave that swill for guests who are less than worthy.

Sean O'Gorman
06-02-07, 11:47 AM
What about Alamo beer?

http://www.donklephant.com/wp-content/HankHill.jpg

Ankf00
06-02-07, 11:51 AM
http://www.alamobeer.com/images/logo.gif

http://www.alamobeer.com/

it's freaking good too. my favorite, actually. it's a contract brew from Real Ale out in Blanco (and my soon to be brother in law has a ranch 1 mile from the town square which houses their original brewery , hell yes. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif).

the name around the rest of the state is Fireman's #4, and due to licensing restrictions from a now defunct restaurant, they were never able to bottle it under that name until last month, and the Alamo incarnation was only available in San Antonio and the surrounding counties. If the FAA weren't a bunch of vaginas and let people still carry 6 packs in their carry-on, I'd have a case of it in my fridge right now.

but short of that, Lone Star will have to do.

Real Ale is tits though, when the Bitter End burnt down in town, RA hired their GABF winning brewmaster, and they had Pierre Celis on board too (Celis White, Hoegaarden), but Texas' bull poo commie contract brewing laws forced the Pierre Celis deal to fall through, according to a RA rep I ran into at the Gingerman in Rice Village back in March.

F TABC. I take pride in Real Ale, my student days credit card debt helped keep that operation solvent and growing! :cool:

mmmmm, beer.

cyclepath
06-02-07, 12:01 PM
Or Shiner?? http://www.shiner.com/

FTG
06-02-07, 01:16 PM
How many Lone Star were hosted in celebration this night?

http://www.bigdgridiron.com/files/images/ROY_Williams_46Yard_INT_Eagles_MNF.jpg

oddlycalm
06-02-07, 01:37 PM
Lone Star's hand crafted for today's more worldly palette. :rofl:

Took the words right out of my mouth....:gomer:

oc

extramundane
06-02-07, 03:16 PM
It's foie gras in carbonated and hopped form.

There's a fine line between foie gras and goose turd.

I think Lone Star, Natty Boh, and Old Style are all the same beer these days, just with a different label slapped on it.

Tifosi24
06-02-07, 05:42 PM

I think Lone Star, Natty Boh, and Old Style are all the same beer these days, just with a different label slapped on it.

From what I have heard from friends who work at Miller, PBR is not longer PBR, it is just the Beast.

dando
06-02-07, 05:44 PM
Or Shiner?? http://www.shiner.com/

Shiner. Bock. Good. :thumbup: :thumbup:

:drools:

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-02-07, 06:04 PM

you're about as fun as a cow chip :gomer:

RHR_Fan
06-02-07, 06:20 PM
Y'all are great. :) Note to self: don't hate on Texan been if around Ankf. :rofl:

datachicane
06-02-07, 07:22 PM
They make beer in Texas, too?
Cool.

They make lots of beer here in Oregon.
Some people like it.

:tony:

Andrew Longman
06-03-07, 10:35 AM
If Texas isn't a nation how do they have a "National" beer?

More than 30 years ago Texan Jerry Jeff Walker said Lone Star Beer and Wild Turkey Bourbon Liquor is the preferred beverage of the sons of Red Neck Mothers who should be put up against the nearest wall.

Hardly the stuff of "today's worldly palettes". ;)

extramundane
06-03-07, 11:03 AM
From what I have heard from friends who work at Miller, PBR is not longer PBR, it is just the Beast.

PBR is most definitely not Beast, at least not in this market. 'Course, the Peeb never waned in popularity here, so we probably still warrant the "good" stuff.

I think they've merged a lot of those regional beers into one recipe, just keeping the names for marketing. A DC resident Natty Boh aficionado friend of mine visited a friend in Chi-town recently and swears Old Style is exactly the same beer as the Nat. Wouldn't surprise me if Lone Star was given the same treatment.

Ankf00
06-04-07, 02:07 PM
Jerry Jeff Walker says no. Jerry Jeff's son says yes.

I trust the latter. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
06-04-07, 02:30 PM
Jerry Jeff Walker says no. Jerry Jeff's son says yes.

I trust the latter. :gomer:

You might have a point. JJW's real name Ronald Clyde Crosby and he's from Oneida, NY and only joined the Texas mafia in the 70s.

Red Neck Mothers (made famous by JJW) was written by Ray Wylie Hubbard who is from (gasp!) OK and lives in NM.

Don't know anything about the lil Walker.

However, From my experience 20-30 years ago you'd be pretty certain to find a couple Lone Star longnecks under the seat of just about every pickup in Texas.

But beers change. I was on my way out to Riverhead Speedway with my B in law a few years ago when we stopped to by some beer. We found some Schaefer and thought well hell I haven't had that since high school, so we bought a 12. It was so bad, try as we might, we just could not drink it. We wound up tossing most of it in the trash at the track and leaving to buy something else. Only time I've EVER thrown out beer. Couldn't even give it away.

Ankf00
06-06-07, 12:08 PM
JJW's boy, Django, is alright, "frat country" like Jason Boland, and Pat Green's early stuff. Not that great but makes for a fun show. And isn't joizy rife with Peroni sippers, who you judging? :gomer: I once lived near Oneida, oddly enough.

Answer to the $64,000 question: it is indeed contracted to Miller, but comes from the Ft. Worth plant on south I-35 west, no need for an OKC factory, I can sleep easy tonight. Only 3 left, time to start rationing :irked: I'll drink the Stone Levitation, Sierra Nevada IPA, and Odell Cutthroat Porter first. My 3 remaining tallboys will be reserved for only the most special of occasions, as only such a fine libation deserves.

Ankf00
09-24-07, 02:19 PM
The first 4 weeks on the road to the Superdome have passed, and despite never having PBR before, other than when Spickly bought us a round in Denver, after 4 cases of the Blue Ribbon I can unequivocally state that it tastes different than Lonestar, and is not a suitable substitute thereof.

oddlycalm
09-25-07, 02:58 PM
after 4 cases of the Blue Ribbon I can unequivocally state that it tastes different than Lonestar, and is not a suitable substitute thereof. You're right, they aren't remotely similar. Different beers have come out of the same brewery tasting different for hundreds of years now. The recipe concept is apparently alien to many, and yet recipes and processes are portable. :eek: Breweries even have recipes for their water which is why they can make Bud taste like urine from the same billy goat in a dozen different locations.

BTW, to be enjoyed at it's best you need to ice down quarts of PBR in a tin garden bucket and drink it from a medium juice glass. It pairs best with greasy foods like bugers, fries, and onion rings.

oc

Spicoli
09-25-07, 03:03 PM
The first 4 weeks on the road to the Superdome have passed, and despite never having PBR before, other than when Spickly bought us a round in Denver, after 4 cases of the Blue Ribbon I can unequivocally state that it tastes different than Lonestar, and is not a suitable substitute thereof.

wussy.

Wheel-Nut
09-25-07, 03:10 PM
It pairs best with greasy foods like bugers, fries, and onion rings.

oc

Bugers?? Now I know you have many tastes and know much about a bunch of stuff but . . . . bugers?!! I had know idea!! :rofl:

Ankf00
09-25-07, 03:49 PM
BTW, to be enjoyed at it's best you need to ice down quarts of PBR in a tin garden bucket and drink it from a medium juice glass. It pairs best with greasy foods like bugers, fries, and onion rings.

my math says the 30 pack in the fridge will yield a total of 5.5+ qt, w00t.

although i've been pairing it w/ queso blanco and salsa verde on saturdays thus far. In order to satisfy the requisite grease quotient I believe some picadillo and birria is called for. birria and PBR, Santa Anna would be proud.

Wheel-Nut
09-25-07, 03:55 PM
I think you need a few more 30 paks. Although this might kill your Jetta.

http://www.pabstblueribbon.com/photos/photo106.thw.jpg

extramundane
09-25-07, 04:58 PM
my math says the 30 pack in the fridge will yield a total of 5.5+ qt, w00t.

although i've been pairing it w/ queso blanco and salsa verde on saturdays thus far. In order to satisfy the requisite grease quotient I believe some picadillo and birria is called for. birria and PBR, Santa Anna would be proud.

PBR & Lime = Redneck on Vacation. Dig it.

Methanolandbrats
09-25-07, 05:16 PM
No discussion of PBR is complete without Frank
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/staprest/FrankBooth1.jpg

Ankf00
09-25-07, 05:33 PM
Pacifico + fresh squeezed lime + salt == michelada :)

Don Quixote
09-25-07, 08:24 PM
Pacifico + fresh squeezed lime + salt == michelada :)

Pacifico + anything = uncontrolled high pressure flatulence, abdominal cramps, nightmares and brown shorts. At least that's what I hear.

oddlycalm
09-26-07, 03:11 PM
Bugers?? Now I know you have many tastes and know much about a bunch of stuff but . . . . bugers?!! I had know idea!! :rofl: [/spell check] Yes, um, well, that's a bit of an acquired taste.

oc

Ankf00
10-17-07, 01:01 PM
and the Great American Beer Festival gold medal winner for American-Style Cream Ale or Lager is :drumroll:

LONE STAR, suck it, haters. :cool: Even one of the brew masters at Avery likes Lone Star. :p

and Houston's St. Arnold brings home a gold for their Fancy Lawnmower (one of my personal favs, screw this whole hops overload rage) in the German-style Kolsch category.

extramundane
10-17-07, 01:13 PM
and the Great American Beer Festival gold medal winner for American-Style Pisswater or Dishwasher runoff is :drumroll:

Fixered.

A brewmaster at Avery professing love for your beer is like Paul Gentilozzi admiring your business plan.

Ankf00
10-17-07, 01:33 PM
Avery sucks now, too? :laugh: Granted, the wit is utter crap, but the IPA, and many of the big beers are fantastic, namely the 14th anniv & Hog Heaven (which won silver).

The funniest competition is Widmer's Export Lager okto/weissen getting bronze behind 2 beers brewed at Coors Field

extramundane
10-17-07, 02:32 PM
Avery sucks now, too? :laugh: Granted, the wit is utter crap, but the IPA, and many of the big beers are fantastic, namely the 14th anniv & Hog Heaven (which won silver).

The funniest competition is Widmer's Export Lager okto/weissen getting bronze behind 2 beers brewed at Coors Field

We don't get Avery's whole line out here, but Maharaja's not bad, the stout tastes like a dirty sock and the IPA tastes like the IPA I whipped up last fall- drinkable in a pinch, but not exactly what I'd prefer to spend money on.

I don't take any of the beer competitions seriously. The judges at those things drool all over stuff like Fat Tire (which is OK, but not wonderful) and Old Jehovah's Double Imperial Pumpkin-Coriander Wheat Steam Beer, which makes them immediately suspect.

</beerhate>

Ankf00
10-17-07, 02:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of their line, but that's mostly in that they don't bottle much and their most popular one is White Rascal which is their worst, and there's a better IPA brewed a mile away. I'd have to say their IPA is the most popular one here, and there's no shortage of competition.

The cool thing is they're always brewing new styles, and you can only get most of it on tap locally, or at their tasting room. It's hit or miss but they have plenty of hits. Plus I get pony kegs for a mad discount :D Mountain Sun brewpub in town is the only other place w/ their variety of big beers around here.

Methanolandbrats
10-17-07, 03:16 PM
LONE STAR, suck it, haters. :cool: Even one of the brew masters at Avery likes Lone Star. :p You suck it, since you drink Lone Star, you won't mind the taste :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-17-07, 03:49 PM
screw this whole hops overload rage Agreed, subtlety and balance is the way to long term success, not slavish overstatement. On a related note, I still find many using inappropriate hops (IMO) as well. Porters and stouts taste awful with Cascade hops. I know they cost less and are easy to find, but that doesn't make the beer taste any better.

oc

extramundane
10-17-07, 04:25 PM
On a related note, I still find many using inappropriate hops (IMO) as well. Porters and stouts taste awful with Cascade hops. I know they cost less and are easy to find, but that doesn't make the beer taste any better.

oc

+1. I'm not even a fan of Cascade in my APA or AIPA anymore. Centennial, Columbus and Amarillo are all the rage. But yeah, keep them all outta my dark stuff.

Don Quixote
10-17-07, 04:37 PM
Those Coors field beers taste more like vinegar than they do real beer. My dad used to make better in the bathtub. I think those guys brew a special batch for the festival every year, and then serve wretched stinking urine to the baseball fans at $7 a pop.