PDA

View Full Version : OC, diagnose my auto

KaBoom21
05-30-07, 01:36 PM
Okay, the 2001 Jetta is acting a little funky today. The cars shuts off when I don't have the accelerator engaged. Engine shut off about 7-8 times on the drive to work, yet didn't when I left the car idling at Starbucks. :confused:

I need to find an import service place to run the diagnostic (check engine light is on), but was just curious if anyone has any ideas in the interim? I don't know squat about cars, so I turn to the OC in hopes of at least sounding like I know what I'm talking about.

Also, anyone know where to go for Vdub service? I live near Rosemont and work in Northbrook.

Thanks.

sadams
05-30-07, 02:14 PM
AC ? Could be the idle speed not boosting when the compressor kick on. There is a sensor for that which probably set the code to turn on the check engine light.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 02:25 PM
Go here http://www.tdiclub.com/ Mostly dieselheads, but there is a "general vw" area. Post there and ask for a good independant VW shop near you. Do a search on "trusted vw mechanics", there is a list on that site by state. Also ask if anyone near by has VAGCOM, that is VW diagnostic software. Someone will help you, it's the best automotive site on the Planet. When you get the codes, post them.

KaBoom21
05-30-07, 02:32 PM
^^^ whoa, this looks like just what I need. I remember visiting a "vwvortex" site once and people were really pissy about posting in the right forum, not doing searches, checking archived threads, etc. This looks great, thanks.

KaBoom21
05-30-07, 02:50 PM
Go here http://www.tdiclub.com/ . Also ask if anyone near by has VAGCOM, that is VW diagnostic software. Someone will help you, it's the best automotive site on the Planet. When you get the codes, post them.

You mean someone on the site would have this software or ask for a mechanic that would?

Sorry, I'm kind of dense in these matters.

Ankf00
05-30-07, 02:53 PM
^^^ whoa, this looks like just what I need. I remember visiting a "vwvortex" site once and people were really pissy about posting in the right forum, not doing searches, checking archived threads, etc. This looks great, thanks.

vwvortex == ricerbois with VWs instead of civics.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 03:06 PM
You mean someone on the site would have this software or ask for a mechanic that would?

Sorry, I'm kind of dense in these matters. Ya, I own it and would help you if I did'nt live 150 miles away. There are lots of members in Chicago, you might get lucky and one will be nearby. They also have regular meetings, check the gatherings section. Here is the list of VagCom owners, page down to Illinois

http://anglo-hexon.net:88//beowulf9/tdi/vagcom/vagcom.asp

If you find one nearby, register on the site and PM them. Also post in the General VW or Midwest Region that you are looking for a good VW shop in Chicago.

grungex
05-31-07, 09:42 AM
Also check out the CVO, and the forums. Good group.

http://chicagovw.org/
http://forums.chicagovw.org/

Andrew Longman
05-31-07, 10:21 AM
I don't know Jettas well and there seems to be a wealth of good advice already here, but your symptoms are consistent with a worn timing belt. As it stretches it can jump a tooth or two under load while driving, The ECU can compensate to a point (and resets on restart) but at points the engine just shuts down.

Not saying that's it. I don't even know if a Jetta uses a belt or chain, but if it is you want to get it looked at quick before you bend a valve on a piston. Much more expensive fix.

(Speaking from experience with a Mazda 808 and Honda Civic)

Good luck.

G.
05-31-07, 10:39 AM
might just be ignition wires. Sound like what happened to my car last year. One cylinder no firing.

Wife's uncle runs a vw shop nearby. I'll axe. NO CLUE IF IT'S ANY GOOD. I will post it as "a shop", not a good shop.

Methanolandbrats
05-31-07, 11:13 AM
This is probably a 1.8T and it uses a timing belt. Divining car problems over the innernet is kinda tough, but begin with the simple stuff. Clean all the grounds. Inspect the battery cables for corrosion and possibly replace them. Are all the filter changes up to date? Coil pack(s) and MAF are possibilities. We need the CEL code.

Indy
05-31-07, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the great site!

KaBoom21
06-01-07, 07:02 PM
This is probably a 1.8T
Yep.

MAF
Yep.

Lost power on the freeway right near an exit this morning and had it diagnosed.

KaBoom21
06-06-07, 11:53 AM
Thanks again for the websites. I PMed a few on the TDI site but the contact information is pretty out of date. I'm navigating my way around, but being a slow day in this forum and all, I'm going to ask here for some more advice.

They (Midas) replaced the MAF sensor and did a 3-part fuel system service (clean/decarbonize intake plenums, throttle plate and add conditioner to the fuel tank). I pull out of the place the next day and my clutch is slipping big-time. I didn't know this was the clutch - never experienced clutch problems before. I was not have ANY issues like this before I took it in and all of sudden I need a new clutch? They don't do transmission work, so it's not like they were trying to rip me off, but it just seems like too much of a coincidence. My buddy who's a pretty big car nut mentioned a few things like checking the clutch slave cylinder to see if it's working or the clutch fluid reservoir may have been drained accidently.

It's a 2001 w/72,000 miles and to my knowledge the original clutch. I've driven VWs since college and usually get rid off them around 125K and have never replaced a clutch, so it's not like I abuse them.

Could the clutch go that fast (overnight)? Could they have accidently done something like I decribed above? Could replacing the MAF sensor be causing this in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-07, 12:16 PM
Thanks again for the websites. I PMed a few on the TDI site but the contact information is pretty out of date. I'm navigating my way around, but being a slow day in this forum and all, I'm going to ask here for some more advice.

They (Midas) replaced the MAF sensor and did a 3-part fuel system service (clean/decarbonize intake plenums, throttle plate and add conditioner to the fuel tank). I pull out of the place the next day and my clutch is slipping big-time. I didn't know this was the clutch - never experienced clutch problems before. I was not have ANY issues like this before I took it in and all of sudden I need a new clutch? They don't do transmission work, so it's not like they were trying to rip me off, but it just seems like too much of a coincidence. My buddy who's a pretty big car nut mentioned a few things like checking the clutch slave cylinder to see if it's working or the clutch fluid reservoir may have been drained accidently.

It's a 2001 w/72,000 miles and to my knowledge the original clutch. I've driven VWs since college and usually get rid off them around 125K and have never replaced a clutch, so it's not like I abuse them.

Could the clutch go that fast (overnight)? Could they have accidently done something like I decribed above? Could replacing the MAF sensor be causing this in any way?

Thanks in advance. All I can think of for now is bleed the clutch slave. Even abused VW clutches usually go 150k and I can't think of any reason one would go out that fast. Is the inspection plug on the transaxle still there? I hope the morons did'nt pour something in there and it got on the clutch plate. What does the invoice say they did?

nrc
06-06-07, 12:22 PM
If it's a cable operated clutch make sure they didn't foul the cable in the process of taking things apart and putting them back together.

KaBoom21
06-06-07, 12:33 PM
All I can think of for now is bleed the clutch slave. Even abused VW clutches usually go 150k and I can't think of any reason one would go out that fast. Is the inspection plug on the transaxle still there? I hope the morons did'nt pour something in there and it got on the clutch plate. What does the invoice say they did?

Invoice says they replaced the MAF sensor and did a 3-part fuel system service (clean/decarbonize upper and lower intake plenum, clean/decarbonize/lubricate throttle plate and add conditioner to the fuel tank). They said they didn't touch transmission/clutch. (The diagnostic codes were P0171 - system too rich, P0172 system too lean).

I'm not able to have it looked at until Friday (trusted mom/pop dealer/mechanic in Rockford that sold me the car), so I want to find out as much as possible beforehand if Midas had anything to do with it - and it's sounding like there's a chance they did.

Andrew Longman
06-06-07, 02:14 PM
Clutch wear will give you some warning before failing and 72K is way early.

Even a leak in the hydrolics should give some indication in terms of engagement point (Intermitent or otherwise) before it fails.

Not absolutely true but very most likely true.

OTOH where they were working should not have brought them anywhere near the clutch. Or at least it wouldn't on most cars. I'd have to the the routing of lines and/or cables on a Jetta to be sure.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-07, 03:59 PM
This sure is a strange one, but I've got an idea. Assuming the slave is working and allowing full clutch travel, the slipping points to a contaminated clutch disk. When they did the intake cleaning, I wonder if they revved the hell out of it and the rear main seal blew? That would oil down the disk. Look under the car at the felt pad between the block and transaxle. Is there oil dripping out of there? I can't think of anything else and it's probably not linkage, pressure plate, pushrod or throwout bearing problems because they are usually a go/no go situation. Good luck.

Gnam
06-06-07, 05:10 PM
You're just driving it wrong. :p

KaBoom21
06-22-07, 09:41 AM
Just a quick update: had the clutch replaced (flywheel was still okay) and the mechanic indicated it was due to wear and found no evidence of fluids/blown seal. I bought it used and can't account for how it was driven the 1st 25K miles. In retrospect, I did notice some occasional difficulty getting the car in gear but never experienced the slippage.

Thanks again for all the input.

PS - Paulli Imports in Rockford IL does great work.

Classic Apex
06-23-07, 11:27 AM
MAF.

My 1.8T has 168,000 miles. I've been through the MAF twice over the life of the car.

Frustrating.