PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question.....

devilmaster
05-30-07, 11:49 AM
I hadn't even bothered to watch a twirl race this year until the 497.5.

But since my friends and I always got together to party the day away we watched.

Something got me wondering. A pre-race interview with either Kanaan or HCN said that being in front is not the place to be. Then I watched the race and it seemed like the car in front was always a sitting duck.

Did they go to the handford device or something similar? I hated it in CART. Don't tell me the goobers decided that was a good idea to return to. :saywhat:

G.
05-30-07, 12:05 PM
WGAF?:p

(I didn't watch, but my guess is that it's the standard "draft-off-the-front-runner-and-slingshot-past-him/her/it.)

devilmaster
05-30-07, 12:07 PM
WGAF?:p

(I didn't watch, but my guess is that it's the standard "draft-off-the-front-runner-and-slingshot-past-him/her/it.)

The passes didn't look like standard slingshots, thats fer sure.

Wheel-Nut
05-30-07, 12:16 PM
I asked a similar question at tf but didn't get an answer to my question.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91847

Rusty Wallace said something about in qualifying the teams were using a -2 degree wing angle and during the race they were using a +2 degree angle. If he knew what he was talking about who knows.

They also said that if you were within 9 seconds of the car in front you were in the draft.

It looked like a few of the crashes were caused by closing too fast on the car ahead. I thought they practiced this all month?

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 12:50 PM

Rusty Wallace said something about in qualifying the teams were using a -2 degree wing angle and during the race they were using a +2 degree angle. If he knew what he was talking about who knows.

They also said that if you were within 9 seconds of the car in front you were in the draft.

It looked like a few of the crashes were caused by closing too fast on the car ahead. I thought they practiced this all month?

I believe they have about a 1" wide vertical strip running on the outside of the rear endplate. The sole purpose is to dirty up the air off the back to improve the draft.

The intent is somewhat the same as the Hanford except the Hanford was also trying to reign in runaway speed from the HP Honda and Toyota were cranking out.

I heard Arute make the comment about the draft working 9 seconds back. That can't possibly be true. It might be true if Dallara was the size of a 727, but not an Indycar. Nine car lengths is more believable.

There sure was a lot more talk from the commentators this year about the draft. Maybe that's just because they were idiots (I almost longed for Bobby Unser) but frankly I think that's because it was about the only race factor worth mentioning.

As far as the overtaking mistakes, I think they were just that. Inexperience and a lot of speed differentials meant that the guys and gals sometimes didn't think to time the pass so it gets completed before the turn. Sometimes that means actually slowing down to then get them on the next straightaway.

rabbit
05-30-07, 02:27 PM

It looked like a few of the crashes were caused by closing too fast on the car ahead. I thought they practiced this all month?IIRC, I think the numbers they threw out were minus-6 and plus-2, an 8-degree swing from quals to race trim. :eek:

Ronbo
06-02-07, 01:24 AM
The bottom line is that a driver can crawl into one of those pos's and put it in the field in about a minute and a half!

Any monkey that can turn left, can drive one of those anchors!:thumdown:

chop456
06-02-07, 07:19 AM
The negative AOA on the rear wing is to provide downforce while they're hurtling backwards towards the wall.

Ankf00
06-02-07, 10:56 AM
The negative AOA on the rear wing is to provide downforce while they're hurtling backwards towards the wall.

ftw :rofl: