PDA

View Full Version : First kid on the way

Pages : [1] 2

stroker
05-30-07, 09:33 AM
Mrs. Stroker is scheduled to deliver Stroker Jr. in Dec/Jan. She is about 7 weeks along, so we've got some time to prepare. This is our first baby.

Suggestions? I've got my towel....

FTG
05-30-07, 09:39 AM
Yeah. Don't change your user name for nine months.

dando
05-30-07, 09:41 AM
Congrats! :thumbup:

Suggestions? Watch Bill Cosby "Himself"....it'll teach ya all you need to know about parenthood. ;)

Just enjoy the ride. :cool:

-Kevin

rosawendel
05-30-07, 09:42 AM
team rosawendel has been a party of three for six weeks now. here is what i can suggest:
-sleep. sleep now.
-go out on as many dates as you can before the baby comes. get out of the house early and often.
-be prepared for the arrival of the full body pillow. she will build a fort of pillows in the bed. it doesn't matter how big your bed is, you will want a bigger one.
-if you are working on projects around the house, finish them now.
-get a wide-screen television and HD programming. you will be spending much more time at home after the newborn arrives, may as well make the best of it.
-make room in your house / apartment / condo for the "baby explosion" of stuff from all the showers.
-sleep. sleep now.

Audi_A4
05-30-07, 09:43 AM
Mrs. Stroker is scheduled to deliver Stroker Jr. in Dec/Jan. She is about 7 weeks along, so we've got some time to prepare. This is our first baby.

Suggestions? I've got my towel....

Who is the daddy? :tony: Congrats! Have fun dont stress out and enjoy.

Sean O'Gorman
05-30-07, 09:43 AM
Congratulations, today is the first day of the end of your life. ;)

WickerBill
05-30-07, 10:14 AM
Congratulations, today is the first day of the end of your life. ;)

And yours should be mercy-ended for stupidity.

- After the first couple of days the baby is home, don't be a tip-toe-er. Let the kid acclimate him/herself to the standard noise level of the house and you will find they turn into much better sleepers as they grow. If you constantly mute the TV / tiptoe / whisper / avoid running water / etc., the child will acclimate to a zero noise environment and anything less will wake him/her. You do NOT want that.

- Within a few short months, the child will be able to sense the "mood" -- be calm when you get pooped on. I learned that wigging out makes baby wig out. Wigged out baby... bad.

- Please, please, please do not fall for the "put your baby on a schedule" child-rearing technique. It seems very convenient to follow the schedule guidelines and get the baby to sleep on your schedule, but I think it's cruel to train a baby to go hungry so you can sleep. An infant is growing faster than they will ever grow again in their lives; feed them whenever they're hungry. Monitor how much, of course, but don't deprive them so you can sleep.

My two cents!

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 10:30 AM
Read a book by a guy named Dr. Farber on sleeping, or rather getting the baby to sleep. It saved my life, and perhaps the life of my baby when my second one came along.

His theory is that falling to sleep is a learned behavior and you need to teach the baby how to do it correctly otherwise he/she will not be able to get back to sleep when inevitably it wakes up in the night for any number of reasons.

Lots of counterintuitive insights.

Congrats and good luck:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 10:32 AM
:D

Suggestions? I've got my towel.... Relax and have fun! Having a family is a normal part of life. People who have trouble are the ones who over-analyze every f'n thing. Do attend LaMaz and tour the hospital so you know what's going on when it's time to pull the trigger :D

Elmo T
05-30-07, 10:40 AM
Don't confine baby & family to the house. Get out. Go places. I think it is good for the family.

Our kids both went to the first races before they were 2 years old. There were trips to Disney, Washington DC, Philly Zoo, Columbus Zoo, etc. Take them out to eat - not a "fine dining" place, but not Burger King either. In the short term, it is good to get out and, in the words of my father "blow the stink off..." Over time, they'll learn how to travel, how to conduct themselves in a restaurant, how to pack a suitcase, how to stay in a hotel. Go to museums. Visit distant relatives.

Find a copy of "Baby Maneuvers" by Erika Lutz. It was our travel bible. :thumbup: She is a bit "left of center", but the books encourages you to see the world with your kids, not despite of them.

Warlock!
05-30-07, 11:36 AM
Suggestions?
Remember that until that fateful day this coming January, you have an unconditional designated driver... take advantage of it. The next time (if there will be a next time) she'll be less willing to tote your drunk @ss around.

As far as suggestions as to when she finally pops, I got nuthin'. I really don't care much for babies, so the first year or so of my kids' lives I pretty much did everything else around the house so my wife had time to deal with the kids... and I wouldn't have to. Once they got a little older and could walk and relate a bit, the whole "dad" thing came pretty naturally. The wife was more than happy to horde the babies to herself, so it worked out pretty well.

Should I ask my wife how to prepare for it? :D

Oh... and good luck, dude.

Wheel-Nut
05-30-07, 12:29 PM
Warlock summed it up best. No offense to the others suggesting books but don't waste your money on books buy more beer.

Talk your wife into breast feeding, may save you a few early morning feeding duties!

Congratulations!

WB - That was funny!! :rofl: :thumbup:

G.
05-30-07, 01:30 PM
Congrats!

Sucker!
HA, HA!

All good suggestions, so far. Good insight from 'Lock, too. Men don't bond well with wee ones, most just don't admit it.

Her: "Don't you want to hold your baby??"
Me: "I did. I'm finished now."

You don't NEED stuff. Don't buy it.

You need diapers. More than you could possibly imagine. Then get more. And wipes.
You need onesies. More than you possibly could imagine. There will be days that the child will defile hisher clothes 4-5 times per day. Don't bother putting the EPA on speeddial, they don't touch this vile toxicity. Size 1 diapers can contain perhaps 1/2 lb. of matter. It is a scientific fact that a 8 lb baby can produce, by sheer willpower, 9.42 lbs. of "stuff" up to 4 times daily.

Think about if those ratios were to remain consistent throughout our lives. What a different world we would live in.

Burping towels. Many of them. Babies puke after every meal. They call this "burping". I have burped many times in my life, but I can only recall a small handfull of times that such an event would plaster daddy's new Sperifico Racing Team shirt with stucco. If babies don't "burp", you are in for a very long period of screaming, crying, and praying. The kid might be upset, too.

You need a safe place for baby to sleep in. Not that heshe will sleep there, I'm just saying.

You need formula and bottles, regardless of boob-feeding or not. Baby's belly and mommy's boobs might not be in the same time zone.

You need an extra pair of socks for the missuz on delivery day.

You might need a Diaper Genie.

You will need high contrast, primary colored toys to dangle over the baby and amuse yourself. If you do NOT buy these, it will be YOUR fault. All of it. That's all I'm saying.

You do NOT need a baby monitor. Really. Unless the baby's crib is going to be in the guest house in the back 40 acres, you will not need one. You will not use one.

Childbirth and breast-feeding are PROOF that God is a man.

Elmo T
05-30-07, 01:38 PM
Congrats!

You might need a Diaper Genie.

Get two of those - one upstairs and one down. :eek:

Also (an occupational hazard), make sure you have operating smoke alarms in the house. There should be at least one on every level and one in each sleeping area. And make sure they work. It is one thing if you don't take care of yourself, but now you have someone who relies on you and your good judgement. ;)

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 02:18 PM
Oh, one more thing you should probably buy, a really high quality female blow up doll in case you ever want to have sex again. :)

Warlock!
05-30-07, 02:42 PM
Talk your wife into breast feeding, may save you a few early morning feeding duties!
Indeed. Plus, you get the added benefit of seeing your wife with inflated tits for an extra year or howeverlong they breastfeed. Keep that picture in your mind if you ever have some extra cash later on to throw away on implants.

Just don't touch them when they're full... you'll get kicked square in the nuts.

cameraman
05-30-07, 02:58 PM
You do NOT need a baby monitor. Really. Unless the baby's crib is going to be in the guest house in the back 40 acres, you will not need one. You will not use one.

Yes you do. They are the greatest things in the world. It allows you to sit out on the porch and relax will the kid is sleeping inside. No worries. The one we have has a long enough range that we can be anywhere in the yard or across the street and it still works. Our kid is 2 2/3 and we still use it when he is taking naps on the weekends. We can be out on the back patio with the grill going and drinking wine with no worries at all. The thing is worth its weight in gold.

Gangrel
05-30-07, 03:25 PM
Congrats! In addition to what WB said, invest in some kind of white noise maker for the crib. Many make sounds like a heartbeat through the uterus, or just simple static. This will help the little one get used to sleeping with some noise in the background. A bassinette with a vibration mechanism under the mattress is also a worthwhile investment.

Take as much time off work as you dare after the arrival to bond with the little one. Definately time well-spent.

Take all the classes your local hospital offers. Lamaze is the best known, but there are also classes that cover a number of topics, not the least of which is fatherhood.

Get the little tyke in swimming classes young. Like six months young. You won't regret it!

G.
05-30-07, 03:41 PM
Yes you do. They are the greatest things in the world. It allows you to sit out on the porch and relax will the kid is sleeping inside. No worries. The one we have has a long enough range that we can be anywhere in the yard or across the street and it still works. Our kid is 2 2/3 and we still use it when he is taking naps on the weekends. We can be out on the back patio with the grill going and drinking wine with no worries at all. The thing is worth its weight in gold.
Meh. We just opened the window.

cameraman
05-30-07, 03:51 PM
Meh. We just opened the window.

Level train crossing a few miles away + huge Thomas the Tank Engine fan = open window is not an option.:laugh:

emjaya
05-30-07, 05:11 PM
Congats :)

No advise really, you'll pick it up as you go.Most of the stuff here I would agree with, especially Gangel's, bonding and swimming.

Spicoli
05-30-07, 07:47 PM
Be supportive of having as many baby showers as possible.

1. you will need all that ****.

2. it will shut her up a little bit.

:)

best of luck for a healthy and happy baby. :thumbup:

devilmaster
05-30-07, 10:50 PM
Ya know, reading this thread gave me an idea.....

Take all of this advice verbatim, and make it into a book. I'm curious to see how many protest groups attack it. :laugh:

an event would plaster daddy's new Sperifico Racing Team shirt with stucco.

Sperifico team shirt? Sounds like the kid should be thanked. :runs:

;)

Brickman
05-30-07, 11:06 PM
Do NOT be in a hurry for them to roll over, crawl, walk, run, ride, talk, count, read, write, school, date, drive...

Be prepared for the fastest 20 years of your life.

Savor every second, it lasts longer that way.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 11:10 PM
Do NOT be in a hurry for them to roll over, crawl, walk, run, ride, talk, count, read, write, school, date, drive...

Be prepared for the fastest 20 years of your life.

Savor every second, it lasts longer that way.:thumbup: my twin daughters are 15, I don't know whether to :D or :cry:

dando
05-30-07, 11:57 PM

Agreed (except for the greatest things in the world comment). We use ours so we can watch movies in our theater room, garden, etc. I found a great 2.4 ghz model with excellent range and rechargeable batteries (recharges on it's own when plugged in). This thing rawks (and I have experience with others that are teh suck):

http://www.google.com/products?q=first+years+2.4+ghz+baby+monitor&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=ZsG&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

-Kevin

G.
05-31-07, 12:03 AM
Agreed (except for the greatest things in the world comment). We use ours so we can watch movies in our theater room, garden, etc. I found a great 2.4 ghz model with excellent range and rechargeable batteries (recharges on it's own when plugged in). This thing rawks (and I have experience with others that are teh suck):

http://www.google.com/products?q=first+years+2.4+ghz+baby+monitor&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=ZsG&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

-KevinOK, fine. I'm a radio guy and I think they are unnecessary. So, if you DO get one, make sure that it's encrypted in some way. Otherwise, any idiot with a scanner can hear you and the missuz discuss whose fault it was that the pizza done got burned.

(they have VERY sensitive microphones on them. Conversations rooms away from the baby's room will be broadcast to anyone with a scanner.)

New moms have superhuman hearing. If the baby wimpers, they hear it miles away. Even in noisy rooms. Another scientific fact for ya.

Indy
05-31-07, 12:36 AM
Congrats, stroker!!!

Best time of your life. No kidding. You'll forget all the advice. Just rely on your instincts. And lots and lots of love.

I wish I could go through it all again!

WickerBill
05-31-07, 04:45 AM

Yes. I second that.

Yes.

emjaya
05-31-07, 09:27 AM
Congrats, stroker!!!

Best time of your life. No kidding. You'll forget all the advice. Just rely on your instincts. And lots and lots of love.

I figure grandchildren will be along soon enough to kill that urge off. :D

Wheel-Nut
05-31-07, 09:45 AM
Be supportive of having as many baby showers as possible.

best of luck for a healthy and happy baby. :thumbup:

This works both ways. We had a "mens only" deal before my second kid was born. BBQ, beer and football, all you can eat and drink. Price of admittance was one pack of diapers, any size and wipes. We didn't buy diapers for many months. :thumbup:

The wife sorted through them for the brand she wanted to use and took the rest back to exchange. Walmart is pretty good about exchanging stuff like that.

Wheel-Nut
05-31-07, 09:47 AM

-Kevin

Sometimes we could pick up the neighborhood kids on their cells, got some good scoops on who was doing who and where the parties were being held!

Andrew Longman
05-31-07, 10:32 AM
Sometimes we could pick up the neighborhood kids on their cells, got some good scoops on who was doing who and where the parties were being held!

Ours would sometimes pick up the state police radio in the middle of the night if they happened to be nearby. Not how you want to get woken up at 3 am.

Ours also picked up a neighbor's kid one night (the only time). The thing was their kid was about 3yrs old and was calling for his daddy at 3 am. That was quite confusing for me since my kid was about 4 months old at the time.

About formula... You'll be shocked at how expensive it is. We used a product made by Bristol Meyers Squibb. A friends mother worked for them and could get it for us by the case for 80% off. If you happen to know someone who has the remotest connection with a manufacturer, go for it.

Same for if you can find anyone who works for Kimberly Clark and can get you Huggies.

Methanolandbrats
05-31-07, 10:44 AM
No need to buy expensive formula. Buy powdered milk in bulk, add a couple teaspoons of Nestle Quick, a little protein powder, a few drops of liquid vitamins and you're good to go. Kids love the stuff. :thumbup:

G.
05-31-07, 11:54 AM
No need to buy expensive formula. Buy powdered milk in bulk, add a couple teaspoons of Nestle Quick, a little protein powder, a few drops of liquid vitamins and you're good to go. Kids love the stuff. :thumbup:cows milk can make their stomaches bleed. Seriously. No cow's milk for first year.

We had to give my daughter special formula (sort of pre-digested) at $26.00 a can. That sucked. We had doc write a script for it, hoping insurance would cover it. Nope.

chop456
05-31-07, 12:03 PM
Congratulations.

The number one best piece of advice I can give is to buy 25 identical bottles. People will give you different brands and different sizes. Return them or throw them away immediately. Every piece needs to be 100% identical and compatible. When the time comes that you need bigger bottles, buy the tall version of the same brand. :thumbup:

I'm a Gerber man, myself. :D

Wheel-Nut
05-31-07, 12:14 PM
We had to give my daughter special formula (sort of pre-digested) at $26.00 a can. That sucked. We had doc write a script for it, hoping insurance would cover it. Nope.

My first had to drink Alimentum. Nasty smelling stuff and $$$. :yuck:

Andrew Longman
05-31-07, 12:17 PM
The number one best piece of advice I can give is to buy 25 identical bottles.

That is brilliant advice. Later apply it to sippy cups and lids. And by the type that can't leak.

You'll likely find that your critter is particular about a certain type of bottle nipple too. They come in endless sizes and styles. For your sanity make sure you have an abundancy of his/her favorites too. You do not want to be searching for the right one or trying to talk the baby into an alternative at the 2am feeding.

My #2 demanded a specific Gerber that I could only buy at a Target 20 miles away. 12 years later she's still just as stubborn (about other things). I have no idea where she gets it.:gomer:

Oh, and about dairy, there are many who blame dairy with causing all sorts of immune system problems later (such as asthma). Don't have a position personally though my kids did breast and soy milk until they were no longer infants and we have no issues

Warlock!
05-31-07, 12:34 PM
When the time comes that you need bigger bottles, buy the tall version of the same brand.
Good advice. After my fist kid I started buying 1.75l bottles of whiskey vs. those pesky little 750ml bottles.

chop456
05-31-07, 12:47 PM
Good advice. After my fist kid I started buying 1.75l bottles of whiskey vs. those pesky little 750ml bottles.

:laugh:

I figured that was obvious enough that I didn't have to mention it. :D

:waaaah:

:glugglugglug:

Methanolandbrats
05-31-07, 12:52 PM
Uh, I hope nobody tries my formula recipe...........it always goes over very well when posted on a baby care board, especially one that's into hippie stuff :D Serious tip, do not buy "biodegradeable" disposable diapers, the kind that decomposes quickly. I tried em and they decomposed on the baby.

cameraman
05-31-07, 01:01 PM
Congratulations.

The number one best piece of advice I can give is to buy 25 identical bottles.

That is gold right there:thumbup:

Indy
05-31-07, 08:14 PM
And something else. Ask everyone for money. And lots of it.

stroker
12-28-07, 07:57 PM
1:09pm Today. 8 lb 8 oz. 20.75" long.

An absolutely angelic little girl. Hardly cries at all. Had to have a C-section but otherwise everything is about frikkin' perfect. I was feeding her and she had her first dump (with diaper, fortunately) in my arms. She is obviously wise in the ways of dealing with her old man beyond her age of 3 hours....

:rofl:

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Mrs. Stroker is fine, and she found your posts entertaining and enlightening.

I actually broke down crying on the way home from the hospital in gratitude to whatever power that's given me the opportunity for this experience.

Be forewarned--the first female WDC now lives.

:p

If I actually get to the Indy MotoGP and meet any of you, I'm buying.

I'm THAT happy.

dando
12-28-07, 08:46 PM
An absolutely angelic little girl. Hardly cries at all.

Congrats, Stroker....I think. ;) Oh, and BTW, the above mentioned description of said 'angel' WILL change. Trust me. :)

-Kevin <== two girls, doomed :)

SteveH
12-28-07, 09:07 PM
:) Congrats :thumbup:

jonovision_man
12-28-07, 09:08 PM
I actually broke down crying on the way home from the hospital in gratitude to whatever power that's given me the opportunity for this experience.

Sex, my friend. Sex. :D

Congrats on the first! :thumbup: Glad to hear all is well.

jono

G.
12-28-07, 09:10 PM
1:09pm Today. 8 lb 8 oz. 20.75" long.

If I actually get to the Indy MotoGP and meet any of you, I'm buying.

I'm THAT happy.Congrats!

I'm drinking!

Something that I didn't mention in my original extremely wise post: when you go home, just you, missus, and the angel; Your HOME SHALL BE EMPTY! Just you three. No moms, MILs, aunties, weird uncles, nobody! For 24 hours.

Walk in to an empty house with the new baby. I don't think there can be any more powerful of a feeling. Better than any love story, action/adventure, and (especially) horror show all rolled into one.:D

Trust me.
(prolly too late for that advice, but for whomever's next...)

ETA: this is a MUST for baby #1, not as important for 2-7-ish.

Insomniac
12-28-07, 09:18 PM
An absolutely angelic little girl.....she had her first dump (with diaper, fortunately) in my arms.

kekekeke :)

Congrats!

stroker
12-28-07, 09:24 PM
Congrats!

I'm drinking!

Something that I didn't mention in my original extremely wise post: when you go home, just you, missus, and the angel; Your HOME SHALL BE EMPTY! Just you three. No moms, MILs, aunties, weird uncles, nobody! For 24 hours.

Walk in to an empty house with the new baby. I don't think there can be any more powerful of a feeling. Better than any love story, action/adventure, and (especially) horror show all rolled into one.:D

Trust me.
(prolly too late for that advice, but for whomever's next...)

ETA: this is a MUST for baby #1, not as important for 2-7-ish.

That I shall take to the bank. We're home New Year's Eve afternoon. No relatives (which is neat, because it applies only to her family. :tony: ).

doppelganger
12-28-07, 10:14 PM
Congratulations! And just in time for the tax deduction. ;)

Andrew Longman
12-28-07, 11:01 PM
...she had her first dump in my arms.

And that will continue well beyond when she deposits her first boyfriend at your dining room table.

No matter how frustrated you become take a moment later to savor the moment. Seriously.

It will go soooo fast.

Work on minimizing regrets

Congrats to you, your wife, and the critter for having such great parents. :thumbup:

TravelGal
12-29-07, 03:09 AM
Terrific news. And very appropriate emotion. My heart is very full of all sorts of words that won't seem to come out through my fingers so I'll just say, Congratulations to all of you.

emjaya
12-29-07, 06:56 AM
:)

Congats to you and your missus. :thumbup:

Ankf00
12-29-07, 04:41 PM
congrats dude :thumbup:

nrc
12-29-07, 05:59 PM
Congratulations!

A couple of friends at work have recently had their first. During this time I've been informed that I suck at talking about babies. This was not a surprise. I've been instructed that the appropriate small talk is "Are you getting any sleep?" and "How is the baby sleeping?" Did I get that right?

dando
12-29-07, 06:37 PM
Congratulations!

A couple of friends at work have recently had their first. During this time I've been informed that I suck at talking about babies. This was not a surprise. I've been instructed that the appropriate small talk is "Are you getting any sleep?" and "How is the baby sleeping?" Did I get that right?

That's pretty good. You should also ask new mothers "Are you breastfeeding?" and then "May I watch?" :gomer:

-Kevin

stroker
12-29-07, 08:11 PM
Thank you all for your well wishes. We had a minor complication not two hours after my announcement email--she was put into the ICU with high white count and low blood sugar as a result of the delivery. She's responding well to treatment and we may be able to take her home with us Monday. I'm going to try an attachment just for giggles.

resizedellie.jpg

This is her about 30 minutes after arrival.

dando
12-29-07, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for your well wishes. We had a minor complication not two hours after my announcement email--she was put into the ICU with high white count and low blood sugar as a result of the delivery. She's responding well to treatment and we may be able to take her home with us Monday.

Thoughts & prayers...keep positive thoughts. Our first spent her first 2-3 weeks in the NICU as a result of being 7 weeks early. The docs and nurses in the NICU are amazing. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TravelGal
12-29-07, 08:47 PM
All I can say is WOW, look at her!

She'll be fine. I'm sure of it. Caesarians are a bit of a shock to the baby's system. It might be a day or two for her to get used to this "birth" idea. She wasn't ready for her closeup yet. Or at least she didn't think so.

Just remember that. You're behind the 8 ball with her before you even start the rest of the growing up stuff. She'll make you pay and pay and pay. Heheheheh. oooh, going a bit off topic here........ ;)

RaceGrrl
12-29-07, 09:01 PM
Congrats to the new parents.... she's such a cutie! She'll be a cutie for a while, then she'll be a teenager and you'll wonder which level of hell she spawned from. I know my parents wondered that...

In the meantime, I hope she'll strong enough to go home soon.

Ankf00
12-29-07, 09:08 PM
she looks pissed. "what do you think you're doing? let me go!" :D

TKGAngel
12-29-07, 11:02 PM
Aww, what a little cutie. :)

Congrats!

G.
12-29-07, 11:12 PM
Thank you all for your well wishes. We had a minor complication not two hours after my announcement email--she was put into the ICU with high white count and low blood sugar as a result of the delivery. She's responding well to treatment and we may be able to take her home with us Monday.

She's fine.

And you're worried.

It's all good.

G.
12-29-07, 11:12 PM
That's the way it's supposed to be.

stroker
12-30-07, 01:47 AM
News Flash!

She pukes like a fire hydrant.

Is this an indicator of mysterious Satanic influence per previous comments, or is she just plain talented?

:D

Indy
12-30-07, 02:55 AM
Projectile functions from both ends are quite normal, my friend. You will learn much about cleaning up messes. :D

BTW, great looking kid. :thumbup:

stroker
12-30-07, 09:47 AM
Projectile functions from both ends are quite normal, my friend. You will learn much about cleaning up messes. :D

BTW, great looking kid. :thumbup:

Thankavurramuch.

:elvis:

trish
12-30-07, 10:40 AM
She's beautiful! Congratulations and good luck. I hope she gets to ring in the New Year at home. :)

rosawendel
12-31-07, 11:16 AM
congratulations to the new family! hope she sleeps!

cameraman
12-31-07, 01:42 PM

But if your luck holds it will be a rare occurrence. It was for us.

Congrats
:thumbup:

Gnam
12-31-07, 01:47 PM
Best Christmas gift evah. Way better than a pony. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-31-07, 02:45 PM
That's pretty good. You should also ask new mothers "Are you breastfeeding?" and then "May I watch?" :gomer:

-Kevin..........or "I'd love to prime those so they're ready for the baby" :D

oddlycalm
12-31-07, 04:02 PM
Congratulations stroker. The holidays will always be an extra special season at casa stroker. :thumbup:

As you can see, you've come to the right place for newborn baby advice. :gomer: Pull out the field manual and refer to chapter P for the poop gland, pee gland and puke gland functions. Keep in mind that the field manual was written in the 1950's and ignore the references to vinyl furniture covers unless you want your friends to refer to you as gramps. Also, if you have the revision with the sidebar covering wet suits that was a printing error, so ignore that as well. Just keep plenty of wipes on hand and you'll be fine.

oc

cameraman
12-31-07, 04:11 PM
Just keep plenty of wipes on hand and you'll be fine.

One other bit o' trivia to keep in mind is almost all baby wipes are not "flushable". As in they are made of some surprisingly strong fabric that can snag on intruding tree roots in your sewer line and cause all manner of problems. Just sayin'.......

OW
12-31-07, 06:21 PM
OMG........She's Beautiful!!!!!!
Your'e a family now....
She'll be fine.....

Mrs. Stroker is scheduled to deliver Stroker Jr. in Dec/Jan. She is about 7 weeks along, so we've got some time to prepare. This is our first baby....

Dec/Jan? 7 weeks along? For a brief moment I thought Mrs. Stroker was having your puppy!!!

Please forgive my anal pick at levity.

By GOD..... Congratulations......

OW

diamond dave
12-31-07, 07:57 PM
congrats!
just wait until aboot day 5-7 when she starts pooping out tar.

enjoy - taking plenty of video/pics.
my daughter is just 2 now and i enjoy/marvel at how she has grown already

stroker
01-01-08, 12:01 AM
OMG........She's Beautiful!!!!!!
Your'e a family now....
She'll be fine.....

Dec/Jan? 7 weeks along? For a brief moment I thought Mrs. Stroker was having your puppy!!!

Please forgive my anal pick at levity.

By GOD..... Congratulations......

OW

Check the dates of the original post and today's date. It'll make sense then.

;)

OW
01-01-08, 09:34 AM
Check the dates of the original post and today's date. It'll make sense then.

;)

Oh Lord......My Bad

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

stroker
01-05-08, 12:21 AM
I know this thread has gone long enough, but I need to make one last observation. I'm sure it's not an original thought, but it needs to be said nevertheless.

We got Ellie home from the hospital today and things are going about as well as anyone could reasonably expect. She inhales formula like I drink beer, and it's looking like she's going to settle in just fine. While the wife was resting, I was sitting alone on the front porch reflecting on my good fortune after seeing all those other kids in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit. I had a thought as I looked at the stars and murmured thanks to the Big Guy for His kindness when I realized that we've got Angels all around us--a whole bunch of them wear hospital scrubs.

God bless you all for your kind thoughts and words. It's going to be a good year. :thumbup:

G.
01-05-08, 12:54 AM
I know this thread has gone long enough, but I need to make one last observation. I'm sure it's not an original thought, but it needs to be said nevertheless.

We got Ellie home from the hospital today and things are going about as well as anyone could reasonably expect. She inhales formula like I drink beer, and it's looking like she's going to settle in just fine. While the wife was resting, I was sitting alone on the front porch reflecting on my good fortune after seeing all those other kids in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit. I had a thought as I looked at the stars and murmured thanks to the Big Guy for His kindness when I realized that we've got Angels all around us--a whole bunch of them wear hospital scrubs.

God bless you all for your kind thoughts and words. It's going to be a good year. :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Dirk Diggler
01-05-08, 02:17 AM
We got Ellie home from the hospital today and things are going about as well as anyone could reasonably expect. She inhales formula like I drink beer..

Ok, I wasn't going to add anything, as everyone beat me to the no sex/sleep jokes. BUT - if you do your shopping at Costco, keep the baby formula away from the Coffee Mate. The cans are the same size, the powder looks the same, and one sleep deprived morning you'll find your coffee tasting like ***** and your kid will be looking incredulously at her bottle. Not my finest hour.:tony:

dando
03-25-08, 12:49 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2431320820080324

WASHINGTON (Reuters Life!) - Middle-income families can expect to spend $204,060 on feeding, housing and schooling a child born in 2007 until his or her 18th birthday, the U.S. government reported on Monday.

FYI. :eek: Better get some cheaper beer. ;)

-Kevin

stroker
03-25-08, 04:16 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2431320820080324

FYI. :eek: Better get some cheaper beer. ;)

-Kevin

The PBR sucked, and I didn't think the Hamm's was too bad, but the War Department shot it down. I don't think she likes bears.

JLMannin
03-25-08, 08:59 PM
Well, I realize that I am three months late, but congrats!!!!

I read through this thread again, and there is lots of good advice here. It must be good, I agree with it :)

anait
03-26-08, 01:37 AM
Well, I realize that I am three months late, but congrats!!!!

I read through this thread again, and there is lots of good advice here. It must be good, I agree with it

Ditto, on being late ( :o ) and with the congratulations! :thumbup:

Also ditto on the advice - except the cheap beer thing. Don't buy cheap beer. There are other places to save money. :cool:

stroker
03-26-08, 03:11 PM
Ditto, on being late ( :o ) and with the congratulations! :thumbup:

Also ditto on the advice - except the cheap beer thing. Don't buy cheap beer. There are other places to save money. :cool:

I'm not my spending my limited funds on Guiness for the kid--she can drink cheap stuff until she buy her own damn beer!

;)

stroker
07-09-08, 10:54 AM
Sorry to drag an old thread out of the attic, but the missus took this picture and I had to share it.

dando
07-09-08, 11:31 AM
Sorry to drag an old thread out of the attic, but the missus took this picture and I had to share it.

Good stuff! :thumbup:

Was that while watching the new EARL @ the Glen? ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
07-09-08, 11:52 AM
Good stuff! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Nope. Dad just told him how much debt he'll be leaving college with. :)

Insomniac
07-09-08, 01:58 PM
Nope. Dad just told him how much debt he'll be leaving college with. :)

Ooops. :p

dando
07-09-08, 02:10 PM
Ooops. :p

NJtard...whattaya expect? ;)

-Kevin

rocket
07-10-08, 08:01 AM
Another thing you have to look forward to....

My daughter Brittany (10 weeks shy of being 15) and myself were going out to Sycamore speedway on July 5th for the races and fireworks. A few hours before I am planning on picking her up from her mother's house, Brit calls me. "I have bad cramps and had my period today, can we skip going tonight?":eek:

Like I need to say it, love every minute with your kid(s) take them different places, let them see new things constantly. It's a trip seeing their reactions. Those moments will stick with you forever, it's great:D

chop456
07-10-08, 08:11 AM
:FingersInEars:

Nah nah nah nah I cant hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you...

RaceGrrl
07-10-08, 11:03 AM
15?! Hard to believe that Brit's all grown up now. :)

Michaelhatesfans
07-10-08, 11:38 AM

-Kevin

She just heard that Tilke is re-designing Donington.

G.
07-10-08, 02:29 PM
She's beautiful!
:thumbup:

TravelGal
07-10-08, 04:46 PM
Gorgeous! What eyes! What lips! What are you going to do when she wants to put make up all over that? lol!

G.
07-10-08, 04:55 PM
Raising a boy is easier than raising a girl.

With a boy, you only have to worry about one d***. With a girl, you have to worry about them all.

:D:p

SteveH
07-10-08, 05:04 PM
Raising a boy is easier than raising a girl.

With a boy, you only have to worry about one d***. With a girl, you have to worry about them all.

:D:p

Good point however just how many Spicoli's are there?

Oh never mind, you were referring to a body part.

My bad.