PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Revised in Indy - again

Spicoli
05-29-07, 12:12 PM
http://www.redevelopspeedway.com/results/main.html

Oh my. This is not going over well in Gmoreland. :shakehead

(Notice the use of the term "vision" about 400000000x.

Sean O'Gorman
05-29-07, 12:48 PM
Maybe once they've built enough condos the neighbors will complain about the noise and get the track shut down. :laugh:

nrc
05-29-07, 02:06 PM
My impression is that the lemmings while go along with and make excuses for whatever Tony wants.

But just from a quick perusal this looks like the government assistance grab that the lemmings swear never happens in gomerland.

indyfan31
05-29-07, 02:44 PM
Maybe once they've built enough condos the neighbors will complain about the noise and get the track shut down. :laugh:

Now there's a guy with "vision". :)

oddlycalm
05-29-07, 02:44 PM
[url]This is not going over well in Gmoreland. :shakehead Why, it looks like a real Gomerland is exactly what they intend to build. :rofl:

I'm surprised the Gomerati aren't excited about being able to buy a condo, move out of their parents basement, and live right there on Main Street... Oh right, it's because they won't be able to afford any of it. TG's brilliant plan is to kill the campgrounds and build luxury accommodations in a crappy part of town thereby killing off his own race attendance by thousands...:tony: Can't wait to read the stories about the condo owners group filing suit against the IMS over noise and traffic congestion issues...

oc

Spicoli
05-29-07, 03:10 PM
Why, it looks like a real Gomerland is exactly what they intend to build. :rofl:

I'm surprised the Gomerati aren't excited about being able to buy a condo, move out of their parents basement, and live right there on Main Street... Oh right, it's because they won't be able to afford any of it. TG's brilliant plan is to kill the campgrounds and build luxury accommodations in a crappy part of town thereby killing off his own race attendance by thousands...:tony: Can't wait to read the stories about the condo owners group filing suit against the IMS over noise and traffic congestion issues...

oc

Yep. :D

not much of this "plan" makes sense. I mean, that part of town could use a facelift, but it looks like they want to nuke it and start all over.

"Gomertopia" :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
05-29-07, 03:33 PM
Spicoli, any vacant houses on Georgetown I can invest in? :D

Spicoli
05-29-07, 04:19 PM
Spicoli, any vacant houses on Georgetown I can invest in? :D

I'm not sure, you could axe Ziggy. :\

I'm thinking TG has sooo many people dialed into his nest, he'll get whatever he wants.

Ed_Severson
05-30-07, 12:24 AM
Jesus H Christ ... I'm wordy and not even I could stand to read that pap. Who the hell wrote that, and why do they think anyone in Speedway will actually read it?

cart7
05-30-07, 05:31 AM
I don't see the 12ft high electric fence, topped with razor wire in those artists renderings nor the police substation. :confused:

What's to keep the Lafayette street turks and hookers from soiling such a lovely development?

BTW, the Cardinals tried to dangle a "Ballpark village" in front of St. Louis in order to try and get public financing for their new stadium. It failed of course, the common thinking was, if this is such a great deal, why not build it without assistance?
The plan has stalled because developers seem stymied by how to build anything without the assistance of a TIF.

Why am I not surprised? :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 09:05 AM
TG's brilliant plan is to kill the campgrounds and build luxury accommodations in a crappy part of town thereby killing off his own race attendance by thousands...:tony: oc

First the snakepit now the campgrounds.

IMS is certainly a prettier place than it was, but does TG have an inferiority deal that he doesn't want to be associated with something so common as racefans drinking a beer in a campchair?

Granted some of these scenes were somewhat scary but for many fans the scene, the party, the crowds were as much or more of their reason for going as the race itself. And many of them just took their party to NASCAR who actually cultivates it as part of their sport.

Sadly TG seems to be bent on killing the traditions of Indy that most fans care about most while hyperinflating the importance of the rest.

DagoFast
05-30-07, 11:39 AM
You have to realize that when the C-wagons tested at Daytoner this winter, FTG obviously got a good look at Daytona USA.

Now think: How would it look for the cream of Indianner society to be outdone by a buncha nuevo rich southern rednecks?

"Mom, I need new toys for my sandbox"

Methanolandbrats
05-30-07, 12:31 PM
Damn, they're killing the backdoor road to the track and easy parking.

cameraman
05-30-07, 12:40 PM
First the snakepit now the campgrounds.

IMS is certainly a prettier place than it was, but does TG have an inferiority deal that he doesn't want to be associated with something so common as racefans drinking a beer in a campchair?

It is pretty simple, you don't make any money off of the campers. They bring their own food/beer. You want to force the crowd into the stands so they will buy their food from the concessions. $$$$$$$$$$ rule. Plus that will make the stands look more full with less people on site.

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 12:51 PM
It is pretty simple, you don't make any money off of the campers. They bring their own food/beer. You want to force the crowd into the stands so they will buy their food from the concessions. $$$$$$$$$$ rule. Plus that will make the stands look more full with less people on site.

Brilliant!!! I only wonder why they waited 91 years to think of it.:tony:

cameraman
05-30-07, 12:58 PM
Brilliant!!! I only wonder why they waited 91 years to think of it.:tony:

I didn't say it wasn't idiotic but that is the 2007 sports marketing mindset.

Andrew Longman
05-30-07, 01:03 PM
I didn't say it wasn't idiotic but that is the 2007 sports marketing mindset.

Yep, except the facilities usually find a way to wrap it in a 911 security concern. At least that's what they told long time Eagle fans when they open the The Linc and told them they could no longer bring South Philly Hoagies and Cheesestakes in. Might be Anthrax on those onions you know.:rolleyes:

But fans are free to pay 8.50 for a secure sorry ass, too small Aramark piece of crap "sub" inside the stadium.

miatanut
06-01-07, 12:46 AM

:thumbup:

One can only hope!