PDA

View Full Version : Soft tires and marbles with Firestone/Bridgestone

Indy
05-28-07, 07:58 PM
I have seen several comments on the forums that Indianapolis was a single file track yesterday because of the marbles, and that this is largely what caused many of the field fillers to catch the walls and initiate a lot of otherwise unnecessary yellows. In my opinion Champ Car has suffered from the same problem for some time.

My questions for you are these: why would Firestone/Bridgestone not bring harder compounds to the track, or at least compounds designed to minimize marbles? I know that the idea is for the tires to "go off" to make the racing more challenging, but would we not be better off with longer lasting tires and better passing zones, thus encouraging the drivers to be more aggressive?

Methanolandbrats
05-28-07, 08:02 PM
They told the strokes to go high and get out of the way so the fast guys would'nt get "Bruno'ed". Tools drove into the wall, did'nt have anything to do with tires.

Insomniac
05-28-07, 08:40 PM
They told the strokes to go high and get out of the way so the fast guys would'nt get "Bruno'ed". Tools drove into the wall, did'nt have anything to do with tires.

Apparently they didn't want to wait for the straight to move. Much rather move through a turn and into a wall.

KLang
05-29-07, 06:48 AM
Can't recall anyone complaining much about marbles at a Champ Car race lately. Back when we two tire suppliers, yes. Not so much anymore.