PDA

View Full Version : Mears Wins!

nrc
05-28-07, 02:24 PM
How sadly appropriate for the state of open wheel that one of the Mears gang wins in Charlotte while another hated furriner wins at Indy.

Mears is the kind of driver that may have had a future in Indy car if Tony George hadn't trashed the event. At the time CART's feeder series were healthy and cranking out drivers who would be future winners in both Champ car and at Indy. The Mears cousins did well enough that they might have gotten some attention in the days when there were actual sponsors and not just corporate patrons.

I don't imagine that either Mears cousin would have been picked up by a major team, but they may have gotten interest from some of the second tier teams. At a minimum we'd be seeing them trying to make it in on bump day with some real drama instead of the farce we're seeing (or at least hearing about) now.

Sure, there's Rahal in Champ car and Andretti at Indy, but it doesn't mean much without the critical mass of talent, challenge, and history that have been thrown away.

Jag_Warrior
05-28-07, 03:09 PM
Well said, NRC. As I was watching the race and saw him take the checkers, I had some of the same feelings.

oddlycalm
05-28-07, 05:34 PM
Couldn't agree more. Sad and appropriate.

We now have the sad advantage of time and perspective to see exactly how weak minded TG and his self-absorbed delusions of grandeur played right into the hands of the Frances and destroyed their only domestic competition single handedly in a single outburst. The Frances must have been having a real belly laugh as they pulled the strings and made the fool dance.

oc

Fio1
05-28-07, 06:50 PM
Remember Casey Mears tried to qualify for Indy 1 year during the IRL hayday (when more then 35 cars showed up). Him and Didier Andre were teammates for I forget which team that didn't qualify.

To be honest, you can't blame Tony G for Mears going to Nascar. The guy wasn't good in the support series'.

Indy
05-28-07, 07:50 PM
This is the first I knew of this. The irony is as priceless as Mears' sudden adoption of a quasi-southern accent.

cart7
05-28-07, 08:14 PM
To be honest, you can't blame Tony G for Mears going to Nascar. The guy wasn't good in the support series'.

And I think Casey was probably better than Clint, which wasn't saying much.

I got to meet with Rick and Clint at Gateway 10 years ago. We wandered behind his lights trailer and there they were. Instead of shooshing us off, Rick took the time to talk to us and show us the car.

One of the nicest guys in racing I ever met.

Indy
05-28-07, 08:16 PM
^^^ Ditto that. Great guy.

Wolfeman
05-28-07, 09:18 PM
I think that Casey drove for Rick Galles during Little Al's second go-around with the team a few years back. He also drove for Mo Nunn's CART team in '01 after Zanardi's accident. He didn't really impress in either ride, although, neither ride was great. I'm happy that he's found success in NASCAR.

pchall
05-28-07, 09:33 PM
Mears wouldn't have even sniffed a Top 10 Finish if Allmendinger hadn't devastated the field early on. :p

nrc
05-28-07, 11:35 PM
I'm not saying that Mears is great or deserved a better shot or anything like that. I'm saying there's little doubt in my mind that if he would be a better field filler than many of those at Indy and a few that are or have been in CCWS. He likely would have been if Tony George hadn't gutted the sport.

theunions
05-29-07, 01:02 AM
I got to meet with Rick and Clint at Gateway 10 years ago. We wandered behind his lights trailer and there they were. Instead of shooshing us off, Rick took the time to talk to us and show us the car.

He called me out of the blue when I was in the hospital. :)

JohnHKart
06-06-07, 11:46 PM
And I think Casey was probably better than Clint, which wasn't saying much.

Well no, Clint won races in Indy Lights while Casey struggled. But because Clint was older, he didn't get the breaks. Didn't make any sense to me I was always sure Clint was better.

John