PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Daytona 500

jonovision_man
05-27-07, 08:28 PM
Was checking out some YouTube stuff, stumbled on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmRxZN_VEWQ&mode=related&search=

Pretty neat vintage footage... the birth of "The Big One". :)

jono

Rob
05-28-07, 09:00 AM
Amazing footage of a "most fantastic pile-up". This wasn't the 500 though, but one of the support races instead. This was also the year that Lee Petty and Johnny Beauchamp went over the wall together in one of the qualifying races.

jonovision_man
05-28-07, 09:23 AM
Amazing footage of a "most fantastic pile-up". This wasn't the 500 though, but one of the support races instead. This was also the year that Lee Petty and Johnny Beauchamp went over the wall together in one of the qualifying races.

Oops. :) My bad. Still, some pretty interesting footage. No restrictor plates and they still had a big one. :)

jono

eiregosod
05-29-07, 11:43 AM
the accompanying music soundtrack is just as interesting.

devilmaster
05-29-07, 12:35 PM
That clip reminded me of a show on speed i watched a few years back about this old dirt track where a bunch of cars crashed coming out of 4 and the rest of the field just kept plowing into the pile. For a good minute or so. Add a couple cars on fire, and it was just amazing to see that everyone just kept coming.

westchester speedway? or something like that.

Rob, I kinda recall us chattin bout it. Remember?

Rob
05-29-07, 12:46 PM
That clip reminded me of a show on speed i watched a few years back about this old dirt track where a bunch of cars crashed coming out of 4 and the rest of the field just kept plowing into the pile. For a good minute or so. Add a couple cars on fire, and it was just amazing to see that everyone just kept coming.

westchester speedway? or something like that.

Rob, I kinda recall us chattin bout it. Remember?

Yeah, that was a NASCAR Modified race at Langhorne sometime in the early 1950s. Funny that you mentioned that, as I was just reading about it a couple days ago.

devilmaster
05-29-07, 02:27 PM
Yeah, that was a NASCAR Modified race at Langhorne sometime in the early 1950s. Funny that you mentioned that, as I was just reading about it a couple days ago.

Westchester - Langhorne

Not really close are they :laugh:

Thx for aiding the memory fade.

Spicoli
05-29-07, 03:13 PM
man those cars are butt-ugly. like rolling turds.

opinionated ow
05-29-07, 08:24 PM
isn't nascar allergic to support races?