PDA

View Full Version : Gurney on why he doesn't go to Indy anymore

pchall
05-23-07, 09:30 AM
http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=253945

Nice read.

"I am bitter about the way it has unfolded, and I am not afraid to say it," Gurney said shortly after being inducted into the Legends of Laguna Seca at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca over the weekend...

"I have kept my distance (from Indianapolis)," the popular driver added. "I have been back to Indianapolis for a couple of Formula 1 races, but not for the 500. I spent more than 20 years or more of my life there, but they chopped it off abruptly. The new arrangement destroyed the history and lore of 70 decades of racing."

Cam
05-23-07, 09:42 AM
OUCH! That's gonna hurt! :D

Spicoli
05-23-07, 09:42 AM
harsh. true.

Andrew Longman
05-23-07, 09:53 AM
At Indianapolis, Gurney made a name for himself by being one of the pioneers of the rear-engine revolution.

Now there is another reason the gomers hate him.:gomer:

Destroyed 700 years (70 decades) of racing history? I didn't know TG was that bad.

eiregosod
05-23-07, 09:53 AM
[:gomer: ] Gurney never won an Indy 500, so his opinion doesn't matter![/ :gomer: ]

rosawendel
05-23-07, 11:29 AM
hey, whatever happened to the "alligator" motorcycle he was working on?

Easy
05-23-07, 11:35 AM

Still in development/limited production.

Wheel-Nut
05-23-07, 11:42 AM
At Indianapolis, Gurney made a name for himself by being one of the pioneers of the rear-engine revolution.

MAKING HISTORY AT INDY

THE LOTUS - FORD

PLOT TO OVERTHROW
THE OFFY ROADSTER

http://www.allamericanracers.com/vintage-ms8-01.html

gerhard911
05-23-07, 11:58 AM

You can see both a production bike and one of the development hacks at the Barber Museum in Birmingham. Very cool and quite different from other sport bikes.

I thought that it was now out of production but I could be incorrect.

Check www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_home.html (http://www.allamericanracers.com/alligator/alligator_home.html)

JLMannin
05-23-07, 12:20 PM
Now there is another reason the gomers hate him.:gomer:

Destroyed 700 years (70 decades) of racing history? I didn't know TG was that bad.

I think he is including the next 687 years in that figure. :D It may take that long to get the prestige back.

STD
05-23-07, 03:55 PM
Dan is the man.

oddlycalm
05-24-07, 05:40 PM
He says he knew some of the Indy-car crowd considered him a turncoat for bringing the Brits to Indianapolis. "Some of the old establishment people felt that I was kind of a traitor. Got news Dan, the gomers are still bitter more than 40yrs later...:thumbup: :D Nice job. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of insular-thinking-head-in-the-sand-our-race-is-the-only-one-that-matters fools.

"We pulled up to Georgetown and 16th, where the real entrance to the speedway was," Gurney says, "the wooden arch over the entrance and a slogan that said something like: World Capitol of Motor Racing."
Yep, they're still telling themselves that as well. In another 10yrs most race fans outside the US won't even know what the IMS is and there will only be one guy to blame for that.

oc

RichK
05-24-07, 06:56 PM
Hard to believe, but today's 20 year olds probably don't know what IMS is (unless they are NASCAR fans).

eiregosod
05-24-07, 07:37 PM
Hard to believe, but today's 20 year olds probably don't know what IMS is (unless they are NASCAR fans).

IMS is known outside the USA as a run-of the mill road course , and in NASCAr circles as a track that doesn't generate eggscitin racin.