PDA

View Full Version : Portland at the end?

G.
05-22-07, 12:36 PM
link (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf?/base/news/1179797120307710.xml&coll=7)

Ah, yes, the good years. The winning streak extended deep into the 1990s; then the wheels came off, for reasons that had nothing to do with Portland and everything to do with Tony George, president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Convinced he could build a separate open-wheel racing series on the foundation of the Brickyard, George beget the Indy Racing League. CART was bankrupt by 2003. The IRL evolved into Danica Patrick and the 10 no-names who passed her on the way to the checkered flag.

And the Indy 500 continues to mock every race in its shadow. On Sunday, the 33-car field will include six former winners, three women, three Andrettis, a Foyt and an Unser.

Two weeks later, in dramatic contrast, the Mazda Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland will feature 17 cars, one name team (Paul Newman's) and only three familiar drivers: Sebastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy and a rookie Rahal, Bobby's teenage son Graham.

When a 24-year-old race is banking on an 18-year-old kid, there's reason to ask if Champ Car racing in Portland will survive to see 25.

brutal. but valid.

cameraman
05-22-07, 12:50 PM
But that exact statement has been made every year for how long now?

Andrew Longman
05-22-07, 01:49 PM
But that exact statement has been made every year for how long now?

And hasn't each of the last two years been better than the year before?

And they picked up a title sponsor.

All is not rosy but its not trending badly.

dando
05-22-07, 03:35 PM
All is not rosy but its not trending badly.

But she's still listing badly in my mind's eye. :(

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-22-07, 06:52 PM
Steve Duin is usually on the money. He's not a sports writer or a pundit but rather writes a regular editorial columns. He correctly lays the blame where it belongs on the idiot in Indiana.

One item he didn't post is that this year CCWS and the promoter have moved the race to the same weekend the US fleet is in port for the Rose Festival. Not sure it will help but having several thousand sailors in town can't hurt.

Another point he doesn't mention is that as far as road racing series go there aren't many options. The EARL doesn't come close to drawing crowds as large as champ car does and would create a noise issue while ALMS struggles to draw roughly 15% as many as the CCWS race in Portland.

It's all going to boil down to how well the race does this year and whether CCWS management want the race to stay here.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-07, 08:21 PM
Steve Duin is usually on the money. He's not a sports writer or a pundit but rather writes a regular editorial columns. He correctly lays the blame where it belongs on the idiot in Indiana.

One item he didn't post is that this year CCWS and the promoter have moved the race to the same weekend the US fleet is in port for the Rose Festival. Not sure it will help but having several thousand sailors in town can't hurt.

Another point he doesn't mention is that as far as road racing series go there aren't many options. The EARL doesn't come close to drawing crowds as large as champ car does and would create a noise issue while ALMS struggles to draw roughly 15% as many as the CCWS race in Portland.

It's all going to boil down to how well the race does this year and whether CCWS management want the race to stay here.

oc

I'd like to see them try and run a Portland street race. The idiocy given PIR's great location would be beyond defending.

Spicoli
05-22-07, 08:26 PM
let's see come may 28th.

:gomer:

opinionated ow
05-22-07, 10:58 PM
I'd like to see them try and run a Portland street race. The idiocy given PIR's great location would be beyond defending.

please no. they have the second best track in the entire series there, to run a street race in portland would be nothing short of offensive!

Easy
05-23-07, 11:32 AM

Which is exactly why it should be fully expected.

oddlycalm
05-23-07, 07:46 PM
I'd like to see them try and run a Portland street race. The idiocy given PIR's great location would be beyond defending. We are probably spared that level of idiocy as there are multiple parades during the two weeks of Rose Festival. Closing off even more streets in a town with a river down the middle of it with the fleet coming and going and the bridges going up and down would probably result in armed revolt.:gomer: As it is it's a frickin zoo for the duration.

oc

Ankf00
05-23-07, 08:50 PM
We are probably spared that level of idiocy as there are multiple parades during the two weeks of Rose Festival. Closing off even more streets in a town with a river down the middle of it with the fleet coming and going and the bridges going up and down would probably result in armed revolt.:gomer: As it is it's a frickin zoo for the duration.

oc

Pac NW hippie rebellion, that'd make for good TiVo'ing :D

datachicane
05-24-07, 01:16 AM
Pac NW hippie rebellion, that'd make for good TiVo'ing :D

I'll take it over rampaging flyover faith-healers any day.
:D :D

oddlycalm
05-24-07, 04:03 PM
Pac NW hippie rebellion, that'd make for good TiVo'ing :D No dewd, the hippies are forced into hiding or leaving town for two weeks every June. When the sailors come upriver to spawn there isn't a hippie in sight, it's wall to wall gum popping redneck bimbos from the surrounding small towns, every pro on the west coast and pub crawling sailors hitting every bendover bar in the city. Think San Diego with crappy weather. :gomer:

Meanwhile mommy, daddy, sissy and johnny are lining up on the parade route and us racefans will be out at the track all of us enjoying the rain.... :\

oc

Anteater
05-24-07, 08:14 PM
When the sailors come upriver to spawn there isn't a hippie in sight, it's wall to wall gum popping redneck bimbos from the surrounding small towns, every pro on the west coast and pub crawling sailors hitting every bendover bar in the city. Think San Diego with crappy weather. :gomer:

Meanwhile mommy, daddy, sissy and johnny are lining up on the parade route and us racefans will be out at the track all of us enjoying the rain.... :\

oc

Ooooh, I can't wait! :D In just 2 weeks, I'll be right there in the midst of all the mayhem.

oddlycalm
05-26-07, 04:45 PM
Ooooh, I can't wait! :D In just 2 weeks, I'll be right there in the midst of all the mayhem. Pretty calm as mayhem goes, but amusing none the less. You should be able to see the ships at the sea wall from your hotel window...:thumbup:

Next week is supposed to be sunny and warm, so maybe we'll catch a weather break.

oc