PDA

View Full Version : Video Editing Software

IlliniRacer
05-17-07, 06:08 PM
I bought a new HD Drive Camcorder last year to record my son's swim meets. Now that the season is over, I want to edit them and transfer them a DVD.

Does anyone have any recommendations on video editing software?

cameraman
05-17-07, 06:12 PM
If you have an Apple, Final Cut Express is a very good program.

WickerBill
05-17-07, 06:18 PM
Final Cut on the Mac is basically peerless for home use. For the PC, Adobe Premier is the top of the line but the learning curve is drastic, unlike Final Cut. It is also insanely expensive.

I'm pretty happy with a product called Power Director. But like seemingly all of the reasonably-priced packages, it has some annoying omissions: can't do multi-level menus, can't pan stills, etc. But most of the major stuff is there and it is easy to use.

But it's not even in the ballpark of Final Cut. Dangit.

devilmaster
05-17-07, 06:24 PM
I've been using Sony Vegas for a while. I like it, decent software once you get the hang of it. Plus it does HD I believe.

Wabbit
05-17-07, 06:37 PM
I use TSUNAMI-MPEG DVD Author PRO. I bought it mainly for the way it creates the DVD menus, but like the editing as well. About $99.

Methanolandbrats
05-17-07, 07:37 PM
Don't know what the best is, but do not buy anything by ADStech.

Cam
05-17-07, 08:27 PM
See if you can get a hold of what Dreamworks uses. ;)

devilmaster
05-18-07, 01:08 AM

I don't think he wants his kid to look like this....

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/22C0EFF4-44CA-450B-9DBB-06D090FEEF04/0/ilmsharktales006.jpg

Wabbit
05-18-07, 10:27 AM

Don't know about Dreamworks, but Pixar does sell their software.

cameraman
05-18-07, 02:53 PM
Sure you can get the RenderMan plugin for Maya and MTOR & Slim to go with it. Then get Shake & Final Cut Studio 2 to put it all together and polish it up. While you're at it you ought to get Logic Pro to make a decent soundtrack. That and a couple years to learn how to use it all you should have a kick ass home movie...