PDA

View Full Version : Great incar BMW video from Assen!

Fio1
05-17-07, 04:10 PM
Check this out: There are like a hundred cars on the track and he passes almost 1/2 of them on lap 1! Insane! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJ-HzNWJGM&mode=related&search=

The high pitch whining noise is the sound of the straight cut gearbox spinning.

I'm sure our BMW racing friend has seen this video before. :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
05-17-07, 06:16 PM
And this my friends is why qualifying is SO important!

fun to watch tho!

Fio1
05-17-07, 06:24 PM
And this my friends is why qualifying is SO important!

fun to watch tho!

Ya, but leading from start to finish is no fun. Starting 30th adds spice to the race. I'm sure he got put at the back of the grid for something stupid. He and the black Porsche didn't seem like they belonged so far back. I liked the guy walking along the armco when the green flag dropt.

Indy
05-17-07, 08:12 PM
Jeebus. Watch the whole thing to get a feel for his speed when not in traffic, then watch the start again, and you realize how cautious he is in the beginning.

By the way, Assen looks like a go cart track. Is that the configuration CC is running?

tllips
05-18-07, 10:27 AM
I just couldn't believe that he passed the first two cars before they moved. It almost seemed like he jumped the green. Are some of these guys reaction times that slow in professional racing that a car starting 10ft(?) behind them can be past before they get the tranny engaged?

Fio1
05-18-07, 02:22 PM
In a series like that there is a big difference between the front running cars and tailenders (cars and talent wise). It would be the equivalent of having ITA/ITC SCCA club racerss in the World Challenge races. I'm sure someone got on the radio and told him and the black Porsche, green, and the guys infront basically leave when the cars directly infront of them leave.

RacinM3
05-20-07, 01:05 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty entertaining vid...saw it some time ago. Regarding the start with the cars not going, Fio's got it right. Some guys just wait for the car in front to go, others go when the spotter says GO if they can't see the lights.

Same thing happened to me at the start of my Lime Rock World Challenge race, I almost hit the guy in front: http://www.l2specialties.com/scott/swc%20wct%20lime%20rock%2003.wmv

emjaya
05-20-07, 09:48 AM
Thanks, that was interesting. But that gear whine is a killer. :yuck:

Loved the Lime Rock vid too.:thumbup:

Assen was a great track for bikes.
They were going to be widening the track as well as cutting off the North Loop, I thought. :confused: