PDA

View Full Version : Indy's new "Caste System"

Chief
05-13-07, 04:11 PM
The new Indy qualifying format exposes the weaknesses in what only could be described as an Indy caste system. When you give this a good overview you'll see that the braintrust at 16th and Georgetown has created 3 separate classes with only the elite getting the press, money and accolades. The rest are scrambling for scraps in the second rate and wanker levels of Indy society.

I believe this can only be a negative in their desperate attempt to gain interest from their failed visions and concepts since 1996. The more you are perceived as a loser the less money you're going to get to race. Indy shot themselves dead with this new qualifying "bumping" strategy. They've neatly separated the elite from the wanker for us. Hard to believe that this is the same elite Tony George was against back in 1996.:shakehead

dando
05-13-07, 05:44 PM
The new Indy qualifying format exposes the weaknesses in what only could be described as an Indy caste system. When you give this a good overview you'll see that the braintrust at 16th and Georgetown has created 3 separate classes with only the elite getting the press, money and accolades. The rest are scrambling for scraps in the second rate and wanker levels of Indy society.

I believe this can only be a negative in their desperate attempt to gain interest from their failed visions and concepts since 1996. The more you are perceived as a loser the less money you're going to get to race. Indy shot themselves dead with this new qualifying "bumping" strategy. They've neatly separated the elite from the wanker for us. Hard to believe that this is the same elite Tony George was against back in 1996.:shakehead

A positive is that there was more bumping on day 2. Heck, even the late day broadcast got bumped by an LPGA event. :laugh:

Thx, :tony:!

-Kevin

Chief
05-13-07, 06:00 PM
Power Rangers on pole day, womans golf on second tier IRL driver sunday. Ate up one hour of their 1.5 hr. time. Indy is a failure.

Oh my what drama. The duece comes to Indy with a waive off and the 6PM gun sounds.

Ziggy
05-13-07, 06:15 PM
Its got so much drama now they are going to open valium stands around the course.

Your post is spot on, good job.

Chief
05-13-07, 06:56 PM
Here's how misleading and desperate this crap is...Al Unser Jr. has been bumped!!!! Narrowly? Buddy still would have 6 to 8 attempts to make the field. The sham is now an elaborate hoax....

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9600/indylieslu1.jpg

Ziggy
05-13-07, 07:02 PM
I put this is the Foyt thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM #29
Ziggy
Winner

How embarrassing for Al Unser Jr.

Here is a guy with 2 CART titles, 2 Indy 500 wins, is recognized as one of the all time greats in IROC, who has won the 24 hours of Daytona and ran at the sharp in of the grid during selected NASCAR races AND been considered and tested for a front line F1 seat

to be bumped by the likes of Jon Herb..........

Is getting killed in an IRL car a proper epitath for an Indy Legend????

Artemus
05-13-07, 10:50 PM
Is there a good explanation somewhere of exactly what the qualifying rules are this year? (I would go to an IRL only forum to ask this, but I would get immediately banned for saying "Good thing TG is preserving the traditions at Indy!" :D )

devilmaster
05-13-07, 11:33 PM
Is there a good explanation somewhere of exactly what the qualifying rules are this year? (I would go to an IRL only forum to ask this, but I would get immediately banned for saying "Good thing TG is preserving the traditions at Indy!" :D )

A quick glance over at the irl homepage found this...
What are your thoughts about the qualifications format for the Indianapolis 500 that reserves positions 1-11 on Pole Day, 12-22 on Second Day Qualifying and 23-33 on Third Day Qualifying – all with bumping mixed in each day?

Excuse me now while I go shower.... :yuck:

devilmaster
05-13-07, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah, I wonder what people like Rodee and Smiley would think of this new qual system.... :irked:

Ziggy
05-13-07, 11:45 PM
Ok, this is how I think it works, (and Im not real sure about it)

Lock in top 11 on day one. Each car gets three attempts and a qualified car can be withdrawn (time null and void) after the signing of a form. That car then can "re-qualify" repeat if necessary

Day 2, same except your shooting for positions 11-22
Day 3, same except your shooting for positions 22-33
"Bump Day" would then be what? I would imagine the car bumping in would fill the spot he eclisped, but can go no higher than 22nd?

My question is this, why in the world would you attempt a time at say, noon, knowing full well that you could run later in the day (5:30 pm say)?????????

Why penalize the smaller teams who ARE READY to qualify. Is it really for the elite only? I thought the IRL was about a level playing field? Is it a sin now for a team not to have a huge budget? What's wrong with a smaller team WHO IS READY TO GO ON SATURDAY starting 12?

There is no doubt a ton of spin going this by the Supreme ORing Lickers.

Ziggy

Artemus
05-14-07, 08:01 AM
So if a team makes 3 attempts on Saturday and gets bumped, do they have 3 attempts on Sunday as well or are they out for good?

I guess they found a way to restore bumping. Completely artificial, unfair, and throwing away all tradition. But at least they have bumping.

Spicoli
05-14-07, 08:12 AM
So if a team makes 3 attempts on Saturday and gets bumped, do they have 3 attempts on Sunday as well or are they out for good?
I guess they found a way to restore bumping. Completely artificial, unfair, and throwing away all tradition. But at least they have bumping.

No - they then have the following Saturday and Sunday as well. 11 (Sat1), then 11(Sun1), then 11 more(Sat2), then whoever wants to "bump" Milky Donuts, Johnny Weed, and DumbMarty(Sun2 aka "bump day"). And you get THREE attempts each day (3x4 = 12) and that's not even counting your BACK UP car. So thechnically, you have 24x to get your car in the race {sponsors like it) :rofl:

......if there are 33 or more "cars" ready to make it 10 miles on the track, all by themselves.

...... if it doesn't rain.

...... if FTG doesn't "re-fix" the rules.

Indy TARD itions! Thanks ___king Tony!:shakehead

FTG
05-14-07, 10:02 AM
You guys just don't know what bumping means.

Artemus
05-14-07, 11:07 AM
No - they then have the following Saturday and Sunday as well. 11 (Sat1), then 11(Sun1), then 11 more(Sat2), then whoever wants to "bump" Milky Donuts, Johnny Weed, and DumbMarty(Sun2 aka "bump day"). And you get THREE attempts each day (3x4 = 12) and that's not even counting your BACK UP car. So thechnically, you have 24x to get your car in the race {sponsors like it) :rofl:

......if there are 33 or more "cars" ready to make it 10 miles on the track, all by themselves.

...... if it doesn't rain.

...... if FTG doesn't "re-fix" the rules.

Indy TARD itions! Thanks ___king Tony!:shakehead

Wow! Why bother with qualifying runs at all? Why not just use the fastest practice speed? It would have about the same effect.

You guys just don't know what bumping means.

Apparently.

Spicoli
05-14-07, 03:34 PM
Wow! Why bother with qualifying runs at all? Why not just use the fastest practice speed? It would have about the same effect.

Well, duh. ;)

Might even get more than 500 people there as well.:laugh:

Indy
05-14-07, 08:26 PM
Man, racing is so freaking dead.

I think I am going to take a few years off and see if civilization has arisen again by the time I bother to check back.

G.
05-14-07, 09:58 PM
Man, racing is so freaking dead.

I think I am going to take a few years off and see if civilization has arisen again by the time I bother to check back.http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/PlanetoftheApes/apes.jpg

be careful of evolution...

OW
05-15-07, 09:30 PM
Well this dedicated Champ Car fan was there....
(about this thread)
1) I go cause of the lack of other OpenWheel reachable from Chicago
2) I go cause of the TRACK (history) not the league
3) I went cause I knew the weather would be great for once..

I can't explain how screwed up they did the west side camping...but I dealt with it. (The campground "TREE" has now stone and asphalt around it)

As far as the 11 on first day goes, I hope you know that cause of rain this was the 1st year to really "feel" it.

Devilmaster HAS it exactly.....My newbee trusted me when I said after 1st 11 session, time to go nap at the camp cause NOTHING was gonna happen between 2 and 4pm. Actually from beers at 8am it worked out. They did have a bullsh-t car on track during the siesta and I told newbee it was either a poor soul trying or Penske paid to run crowd pleaser. It turned out to be Helio for 2 hours in the T car.... fans had NO CLUE. (but Helio now knew every inch) (Penske was opportunistic smart)

As we went back in at 4:30PM I chimed to reverse fans that "you are going the wrong way; you are gonna miss the SECOND Qual"..but they were tired of nothing. The 4:30 to 6:01 was good but could have been greater if they had qualifying for 2nd qualifying...we waisted precious time (way lost time waiting for wankers) which removed more top 11 retries.

So ....Its Indy as we know it....Obviously if 50 wanted to get in to 33 positions, this would NEVER happen in any way form)

http://user.mc.net/~spina/images/Racing_Fan/dead_time_indy11.jpg

Ill be at RA and Phoenix

bye for now

OW

pchall
05-15-07, 10:15 PM
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/PlanetoftheApes/apes.jpg

be careful of evolution...

The last three IRL fans travel back in time to prevent the rear engine revolution and save the roadsters.

Indy
05-16-07, 02:22 AM
http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/PlanetoftheApes/apes.jpg

Caption:

"Cornelius says we should quit paying for technology and make it a chimpanzee's series. The gorillas will never know the difference. What do you think?"

"I dunno, but I think that tall chimp with the powder on his snout forgot to turn on his oxygen again."

pchall
05-16-07, 08:00 AM
There is no doubt a ton of spin going this by the Supreme ORing Lickers.

Ziggy

Yup. That's why the headline in the local snapper wrapper for the AP pole day puff pieces read "Pole Day Unqualified Success". You couldn't write them funnier than that if you actually tried.

:rofl: